• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Did they change the restriction of duplicated characters in horde? I just played a match with 2 JDs.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
skipping kill cams hard freezes the game on PC...this game is just a disaster man...one fuckin issue after another

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I finished Gears 5 a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it despite my first concerns about the old school gameplay. I never played any other Gears of War sincerely before 5 (maybe two hours GoW 1 back then in co-op). At times I felt a bit at lost because of the missing background story. And because I wanted more of Kait I started Gears 4 where she's depicted very differently there than in Gears 5, which got me intrigued. Unfortunately the game crashed after a cutscene in act one, chapter one.

Should I continue with the game when I want to know more about Kait and what lead up to Gears 5 or is she merely a support character who's not focused on and are characters generally blandly written in Gears 4? I'm not sure if it's going to be worth my time. Maybe someone who played Gears 4 can give me some advice and elaborate on the game.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will say they did improve a few things online

-they nerfed the Gnasher range/damage values, since they accidently had it at PvE values in PvP for a month(which is just, lol)
-Lancer got nerfed, the auto aim/adhesion is much less, does less damage 30 feet out, and Active Reload does less damage. Its still an effective weapon, especially when holding down hills in KOTH, but you cant just point in somebody general direction 30 feet out and cross them for crazy damage any more.
-Flashbangs got BIG nerfed. No longer does every KOTH push start with INCOMING FLASH FLASH INCOMING x5. They're still effective in spots, but you have to make a choice now between the stun of flash or the smoke hiding you. It also reminded me why the smoke grenade was so good. Love throwing a smoke in the ring while you're capping to hide from lancer fire as you cap the hill.
-Reclaimed, Foundation, and Dam are all good maps and do provide some variety

So it does play better than it did at launch. Also my last game was on Bunker, which I swear nobody likes but me, and I had a really good game, so I'm feeling positive about the game rn.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I feel like a killer instinct Guest character would be sick. Fulgore, Sabre wulf, or spinal would be fun fits

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Gears 4 is an okay game with an okay story. The characters are depicted pretty much the same as in Gears 5 except with less subtle writing. Gears 5 is a great improvement all round but if you're really eager to know more about Kait, Del and JD. I'd say give 4 a shot, otherwise it's not really an essential campaign in the Gears series.
I kept playing a bit and I'm hooked. Enjoying it so far! I think I'm in act two, chapter five, right now. I really like some of those set pieces, especially at the boarding home. Great action and I really do like the characters. I still feel like I'm missing something (from previous games? e.g. where does Kait come from? How got she to be friends with JD and Del?) but it's refreshing not having everything rolled out specifically for the player. So thanks!

Oct 26, 2017
They gotta do something about how long the pauses are between rounds, In every fucking game mode.

Horde is the worst if all. Only show the score at the end of every boss round, Christ.

They are artificially lengthening these games, to the point I think it's on purpose, and it's malicious.

I'm timkg it.

It's 18.5 second breaks between rounds in execution.

And magically everyone goes to 9 rounds

Adding roughly 3.5 minutes to each game.

Im like 99% this is malicious design in a subtle manner to artificially draw out the unlocks, thus push people to spend real money

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like a killer instinct Guest character would be sick. Fulgore, Sabre wulf, or spinal would be fun fits

no

no more dumb cross-overs. we already have 6 out-of-universe characters flooding the game when classics like Baird and Cole are still not in it. It reeks of a MS marketing department that had far too much control over what should be allowed into the game.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

• Rounds To Win: 5 (was 7)
  • Initial Lives: 4 (was 5)
  • Max Lives: 4 (was 5)
  • Respawn Duration Reduction Per Round: -2 Seconds (was -1)
  • Disable Duration: 1 Round (was 3)
  • Secondary Weapon Placements: Boomshot and Dropshot can no longer be placed on secondary (home) weapon slots

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ranked play in Gears 5 was a huge step down from 4.

Everything else was great but I played gears for the PvP and they lost me on that front.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone here help me to master the 10 hives?

I only mastered one, have lahni and mac at 16 and keegan at 14

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I Finally got to general in tour of duty. Been playing the game sparingly over the past couple of weeks. I still enjoy it but I'm not playing horde as much as I used to. It seems to feel like more of a drag to me this time, I don't know why.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
some hints are being alluded to on stream today.

- Kantus character
- Myrrah character
- new, more responsive movement system scheduled for Operation 2

(OP2 starts on Dec3... i think)

quitting solution
Excited about the upgraded movement system. Hopefully it affects all controller schemes the same way. I believe Classic Alt has better response in terms of sliding but I don't like using RB+A for Ultimates. I'm sticking to Tournament controls for now.

I Finally got to general in tour of duty. Been playing the game sparingly over the past couple of weeks. I still enjoy it but I'm not playing horde as much as I used to. It seems to feel like more of a drag to me this time, I don't know why.
For me it's the fatigue from 4. I played so many hours so the grind here has me less motivated to do it again. I usually play 25 waves now.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Finally done with the Tour of Duty and got all of the medals I wanted. What a stupid, boring grind.
Now I can play the game normally again at last - until the next one starts in December. Great.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didnt this weekend had 4xp for horde? I played custom and didnt get extra xp

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
These campaign public lobbies never work. It was this way when I tried it launch week.

1/3 people? Lobby failed to join.
2/3 people? Lobby failed to join.

customize filter to best connection? Failed.

At that point I just tried joining lobbies all the way down the page for 2 pages straight. Couldn't join a single one.

uh. Ok.

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Sweet! Lizzie + Baird + Free-for-All.

EKPE0hEUYAAVKQ6

Last edited:

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Some good additions but I don't really like some of the language used in that update. "It's time to Grind!" is not really something I like reading from a developer, it kinda turns me off, like they've made it a chore on purpose.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
What an awful Boss fight The Matriach is...Gears is just not set up in general to make a Boss fight like this fun...since I picked up the Cryo canon and died the first time at the Boss,in like 3 seconds because you dont know wtf is going on,when I restart,I have the Canon equipped,which you dont need at first...reminds me of that old Singularity video lol...mighty drop it down one notch for this.

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I felt the Matrach fight was pretty easy once you've seen his moves, you just make him fall in the ice and wail on the his glowing weak spot, then rinse and repeat. He has only one one-hit-kill move which is fairly easily avoided by moving around, the only other thing that can kill you in one shot is falling through the ice yourself, everything else he does you basically recover before he does the next attack.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
I felt the Matrach fight was pretty easy once you've seen his moves, you just make him fall in the ice and wail on the his glowing weak spot, then rinse and repeat. He has only one one-hit-kill move which is fairly easily avoided by moving around, the only other thing that can kill you in one shot is falling through the ice yourself, everything else he does you basically recover before he does the next attack.

Thanks for the breaking the ice tip,I alternated that with Jack's Freeze skill and after about 15 tries,(on Intermediate ;) ),I killed it...jesus.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Once again I just can't play, error with gears5_eac.exe. Something new every few weeks I start up the game.

All Microsoft is doing with PC Game Pass is ensuring that I will never buy a game there.

Jacobson

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
how much disk space do i need for this? i tried downloading this on the xbox PC app and it hit me with the 'not enough storage' message

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Possibly one of the next extra characters for Gears 5.
Lizzie and Baird are so far the other confirmed characters.

EK2-q41XsAEef9z