• It's the most wonderful time of the year! Make your list and check it twice. The ResetEra Games of the Year 2019 Voting Thread is now live. Voting will be open for the next 6 days, 8 hours, 10 minutes, 5 seconds, and will close on Jan 26, 2020 at 9:00 AM.

Gears 5 |OT| "That's FIVE, motherfuckers!"

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
So the weekly "What's Up" was cancelled. Any information about TU4 will be delivered in a series of blog posts, supposedly throughout the week (it's already Wednesday though). The store hasn't updated and apparently won't be updated until TU4 releases. TC said there wasn't going to be a new hive this week yet sure enough a new one was there yesterday.

I'm not sure what to make of this studio anymore. Dysfunctional seems like a fitting descriptor.

Edit: Got a little ahead of myself, it's Tuesday not Wednesday. Still though, no real indication of when we're going to hear more other than "over the week ahead."

Last edited:

Brass Body Dave

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So the weekly "What's Up" was cancelled. Any information about TU4 will be delivered in a series of blog posts, supposedly throughout the week (it's already Wednesday though). The store hasn't updated and apparently won't be updated until TU4 releases. TC said there wasn't going to be a new hive this week yet sure enough a new one was there yesterday.

I'm not sure what to make of this studio anymore. Dysfunctional seems like a fitting descriptor.
That's concerning. I know the long-term players are disappearing.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada

I'm just going to keep my head down and soldier on....

OP
OP
Slicer Dyster

Slicer Dyster

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

In response to that feedback, we set out to build an alternative option for those players who want more screen space visibility when damaged, while ensuring we supported the critical visual feedback needed from our various gameplay systems.

You got your first glimpse of this new potential approach late last year, when Multiplayer Design Director Ryan Cleven put a call out to the community to provide feedback on a ‘simple omen’ concept our UI team had put together.

Following the positive response, our team got to work bringing it to life alongside further updates to our current Omen (known as the Immersive Omen). Later this month, coming with Title Update 4, you will have the ability to toggle between the brand new Simple Omen and existing Immersive Omen!

For those of you out there who have been waiting for this new Simple Omen – or those of you who just want to give it a whirl – we’d love to hear your feedback once you’ve played with it after TU4 releases later this month.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Watched through most of the stream today, TU4 is coming the week of the 20th with patch notes on the 20th. Store will refresh next week with older content.

Some other stuff they talked about was that they're working on a lot of ranked and matchmaking changes but they aren't coming soon. They're going to try to release characters more quickly but they still want each individual character release to feel like an event and a celebration of that character so they won't be releasing a bunch of characters all at once. They're working on some more changes to the movement mechanics but it's still a while off. They recognize that Gnasher consistency feels off since operation 2 released but they're still trying to narrow down the issue.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who doesn't play with the Simple Omen will be at a disadvantage. I wonder how they plan on informing everyone who doesn't follow the news that closely

ViewtifulJC

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I still prefer the new Omen. Only thing I'd change was make it a bit less RED which they appear to be doing.

ViewtifulJC

Oct 25, 2017

swear this guys gotta be the all-time worst Gears players. Like pls stay in Arcade/Quickplay if you cant even revive or bot walk outta spawn or stay at the hill to fight over 4 seconds and not rotating to next

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

swear this guys gotta be the all-time worst Gears players. Like pls stay in Arcade/Quickplay if you cant even revive or bot walk outta spawn or stay at the hill to fight over 4 seconds and not rotating to next
The matchmaking is just atrociously bad, full stop. I've played a handful of games today and I consistently get people who have no clue what they're doing. They need to get the ranked and matchmaking changes out the door ASAP because this game is hanging on by a thread right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Quoting this again because I just dealt with the exact same thing. A guy and his guest where his guest had a total of 69 points in the third round of KOTH before they both quit. Why is this even allowed?

Shit is just hard to play with all the issues this game has, most of all the Gnasher being broken and TC admitting they have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it.

ViewtifulJC

Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this again because I just dealt with the exact same thing. A guy and his guest where his guest had a total of 69 points in the third round of KOTH before they both quit. Why is this even allowed?

Shit is just hard to play with all the issues this game has, most of all the Gnasher being broken and TC admitting they have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it.
Just played against a four stack and had a player on my team with 3 kills zero downs. Just run in with the gnasher every time

BUT my team was favored to win(???) so I lost points even when that person quit halfway through the second round(!?!?) so 💩💩💩

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I just wish I didn't have such a love for Gears as a whole. Like, I've been playing most of the day and it's to the point where I just wish TC wasn't the developer in charge.

The amount of quitters I've seen today is absolutely insane and it's been an issue since the very first day this game came out. Yet, they sit on stream and talk about how they're going to implement such and such solution but it won't be coming any time soon. I can't tell if they're oblivious or if they just don't give a shit. Considering the circumstances of the past 4-5 months I'm starting to think the latter.

Oct 26, 2017

Edit: Got a little ahead of myself, it's Tuesday not Wednesday. Still though, no real indication of when we're going to hear more other than "over the week ahead."
Im a bit worried about the TC imho.
while I love the direction the campaign is going, the multiplayer is getting worse.

While I can't put my finger on it, something bad is happening. and its not just in one spot, its a dozen little things and the big Microtransactions in the corner.

i-Lo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Question about Act II:

When I finally got that para sailing skiff and was asked to find New Hope, after defeating the Warden I saw that there were two paths, one inside a building and another under the bridge. Now, I gave the under bridge segment a look and thought that it was the main way in. And so I skipped it in pursuit of scavenging items.

Welp, once I entered the building, the story continued and I could not go back out. Now that I am out, I can't go back to that place. Is there no way to go back to look for hidden items and components?

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gears5.com/gnasher-update-jan2020/

TL;DR – Gnasher bullet magnetism was only active at extremely close ranges due to a knock on from TU3, causing less magnetism than usual and making the Gnasher feel more inconsistent. Live fix incoming soon – we’ll confirm a final date soon.
TL;DR – Mouse users had no bullet magnetism at all on the Gnasher hip-fire, fixed in TU4
TL;DR – Players can shoot 4 frames early after a weapon switch, causing the barrel to not be in a normal firing position resulting in pellets not travelling as expected. Fixed in an upcoming TU.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Two months of complaining about bullet magnetism, then two months of unknowingly complaining about lack of magnetism. At least everyone learned why it needs to be a thing.