• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I can only hope that they learn from this and Gears 6 actually has its priorities in order. I know it's only been 7 months since this game launched but it almost feels beyond saving.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
I can only hope that they learn from this and Gears 6 actually has its priorities in order. I know it's only been 7 months since this game launched but it almost feels beyond saving.
I don't know. They still seem committed to the operations. I understand that the two maps a month they delivered for Gears 4 was tough on them, but there's a medium there between that and every three or four month operations that don't have all that much content to them. Two characters, one new map and a straight port of a Gears 4 map is not what people want after four months.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Atleast Clayton and especially Cole show improvements in designing characters. Cole getting his own melee mechanics as his passive is what I want more of.
I hope this change Is reflected for Horde tuning.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
The massive drop in map production from 4 didn't need to happen and now they're trying to course correct. Something had to be sacrificed and I guess Tiles were it.

I've been suggesting to the studio for a while now that the community take the reigns of Building FFA/Escape maps and free up the people in the studio to focus on Versus/Horde maps.

There's already a built in curation system for Escape and could easily be applied to custom FFA maps.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Lot of changes in here

-Up-A was much needed. It became a very powerful tool in high level play to sit behind cover until somebody approaches you,use your big speed boost from turning the corner to throw off their aim and get the point blank gnashes kill. The new changes keep the prevalence of that tactic to a minimum.

-blindifre, Uh, ol?

-gnashes changes we are just gonna have to see in the field, but I like "make shots not miss"

-flashbang removed from load out, good. I still think they can reworked but even with the big nerfs they still dominate king of the hill. This is gonna change up the game a lot.

-smokes lightly nerfed, were gonnna be seeing a lot more of them

-lancer buff with more bullets per magazine, gnashes only kids won't like that

-markza still sounds trash

-pistol long range fall off damage was overdue, it got to the point where you didn't wanna use the lancer to cross after certain distances because the snub had more damage and less recoil. And the Boltok was a damn handheld sniper. I like the active damage buff tho to compensate.

-dropshot redudced to 2 instead of three puts in line with the boom shot, which is fair. It's a super powerful weapon that has the ability to wipe out multiple enemies In a single shot. Boom is 2, frags are 2, drops hot is 2. Consistent.

Oct 28, 2017
Kind of hoping they stretch the Tour out a bit more, I made General in a month more or less in Operation 2. And nothing to spend the stars on after that.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of hoping they stretch the Tour out a bit more, I made General in a month more or less in Operation 2. And nothing to spend the stars on after that.
this new icon might be a hint. We've been asking for a way to convert wasted Stars into Exp, Boost, Scrap, Iron for a while now.

from that GDC video. third icon is new (Scrap/Iron/???)
Untitled.png

Oct 28, 2017
this new icon might be a hint. We've been asking for a way to convert wasted Stars into Exp, Boost, Scrap, Iron for a while now.

from that GDC video. third icon is new (Scrap/Iron/???)
Untitled.png
Thats really cool, I had no idea this was coming.

Wouldnt mind trading in stars for Exp, to help with the grind to Re-up 20. Or scraps to craft some of the epic skill cards that never drop.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
So they just finished up the Dev stream and it looks like the game is continuing to turn that corner.

- The UI changes make it look much nicer, cleaner.
- less bloat in the ToD
- Canals returns and is still a fantastic map. Pahanu seems interesting with a wide area and actual foliage to hide in.
- Not too sure on Gridiron but we'll see next week I guess
- Maps taking priority over Tiles is a good sign
- Locust skins are looking very good

There's also PvE patch notes for tomorrow (Friday 27th)

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not to fond of Gridion after learning it was one life, I was hoping for a more casual ctf mode
But I do think it could make it a better eSport then Escalation

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
www.gears5.com

Gears 5

Explore Gears 5
Pretty good stuff

Fahz and Baird seem like the huge winners but Keegan,Mac and Cog Gear got huge buffs to their more fun and unique cards.

Lizzie got more options but I still can't see anything besides Salvo/Trishot or Mulcher/Trishot being used

Marcus is still irrelevant and probably needs a rework.

The Kait nerf seems fair but it's balanced by her legendary card buff which is now pretty useful.

The JD nerf is kinda big since it now requires 6000-8000 vs the 1000 energy to get him rolling. A bit awkward with some of his GL cards and ultimately not enough to not pick him.

The overall changes are nice as well, with perks being up there(though I wish they made %s different and not the cost). I was hoping they would look at stuff that isn't being used overall like dmg resist and try and make those more useful.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
They somewhat fixed the issues I had with several Horde cards. Guess I'll be trying out Fahz and COG Gear again. Wish Power Taps weren't random. They seem to spawn on the opposite side of the map a majority of the time for me. At that point, it's not worth trying to use them.

Maybe I'm missing some big game balance thing, but I don't really like how Power Taps work. I don't like standing around doing nothing while a bar slowly fills up on my screen. Wish they were a lot faster so I can do something else to help my team.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
These changes might actually make horde fun to play again. I'll give the game a re-install once the update is out.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
They somewhat fixed the issues I had with several Horde cards. Guess I'll be trying out Fahz and COG Gear again. Wish Power Taps weren't random. They seem to spawn on the opposite side of the map a majority of the time for me. At that point, it's not worth trying to use them.

Maybe I'm missing some big game balance thing, but I don't really like how Power Taps work. I don't like standing around doing nothing while a bar slowly fills up on my screen. Wish they were a lot faster so I can do something else to help my team.
Have you played recently? They lowered the time to around 5 seconds iirc for taps which helps a lot. The idea of them was to get out of your comfort zone but I agree that they are a bit lackluster and should be somewhat fixed. Put them in locations that you won't want to fabricate at but still reachable within a round.

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
Have you played recently? They lowered the time to around 5 seconds iirc for taps which helps a lot. The idea of them was to get out of your comfort zone but I agree that they are a bit lackluster and should be somewhat fixed. Put them in locations that you won't want to fabricate at but still reachable within a round.
I'm familiar with the 5 seconds thing. I'm still mainly a Horde player and have hundreds of hours in the game. Got all the characters leveled around 13 or higher except Sarah Connor (still at 1) and Grace (don't own her). I'll probably do a post on my thoughts regarding Gears 5 Horde, it's characters, and skills later on. Maybe a dev will read it and inspire some small changes for a future update or Gears 6.

For my team, it's usually not worth bothering to activate a far away Power Tap just so that it'll get destroyed by enemies that same wave. We do OK with the power we collect from enemies.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
Not a fan of taking away JD's Lancer GL as a starting weapon. I guess that was the price to pay for them trying to buff the lancer overall and increasing magazine size, though.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually excited to see the UI changes. From what we've seen during the dev stream it looks much more polished and inline with what the game should have launched with.

dev stream
www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like TC suck in a detail in the old Future of Ranked Notes:

UPDATE: MARCH 30TH 2020
As part of our continued work to improve the Ranked experience, we're focusing our playlist offerings to make sure everything is a good experience in terms of time to match and our ability to provide balanced skill matches within the mode.

Beginning tomorrow, Execution and Guardian will no longer be available in Ranked. We are also postponing the arrival of FFA in Ranked at this time.

While Execution's numbers boomed at release, it has since become one of our least played modes by population along with Guardian. As for FFA, we do not believe the current Ranking system can offer a compelling enjoyable experience in a non-team based game mode with the current design without significant work.

We believe Gridiron will be a compelling single-life based mode when it arrives in Ranked (a few weeks after the release of Operation 3). For Guardian fans, it will be available in quickplay and through special event appearances, a la Dodgeball. We'll be evaluating the impact of these decisions as we think about the future – gone today doesn't necessarily mean forever.

We are continuing to work on delivering an update to address 0 points being awarded on a Ranked Win as soon as possible (if you don't already know, 0 on a win is a protective result where round(s) lost against an inferior opponent would have caused you to lose rank prior to this game prior to the protection being implemented).

Our goal is to deliver a change that means winning matches should result in a points gain almost all the time – though remember the amount of gains you make will depend on both your current rank, the number of rounds won / lost and your overall performance.

See you online tomorrow,

TC

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well Gridiron is a flop in my opinion. Once the novelty wears off I just don't see people sticking to a mode that's essentially Warzone with an optional objective that'll be largely ignored.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have yet to try any of the new game modes lol. Now that Cole is here, just give me B. Carmine and new versus maps for KOTH pls. No more of these two maps every 3-4 months shit.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
No more of these two maps every 3-4 months shit.
This is all I want. The pace of new maps has to really pick up. Either each operation has way more or they come out every few weeks.

Also, can't commend them enough for the change to the totems. 30k exp is very attainable. After a couple of matches, I was already like 15% of the way to unlocking Cole.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Cole is really fun, so much polish like some skill cards having visual effects and impactful passive. He's really what most characters should feel like.
Also from new trailer
l3c36j0f51q41.jpg

PVE modes could really use more weapons especially wrapons

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
This is all I want. The pace of new maps has to really pick up. Either each operation has way more or they come out every few weeks.

addressed in the latest blog post. they were forced to take designers off making new Tiles and put them on map creation. It's almost like having four map styles was too much to handle. (Versus/Horde, FFA, Escape, 2v2)

I'm actually kinda happy Rod is gone because he O.K.'d this awful content strategy for 6 months.

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
addressed in the latest blog post. they were forced to take designers off making new Tiles and put them on map creation. It's almost like having four map styles was too much to handle. (Versus/Horde, FFA, Escape, 2v2)

I'm actually kinda happy Rod is gone because he O.K.'d this awful content strategy for 6 months.
Yeah, I read the post and it's good news. I'm curious what shape that takes, though, if it means more maps per operation or a more regular release schedule. I hope they just start releasing maps more quickly and start to get away from this every 3-4 month content dump.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Well Gridiron is a flop in my opinion. Once the novelty wears off I just don't see people sticking to a mode that's essentially Warzone with an optional objective that'll be largely ignored.
Agreed. This can be seen in games like siege where they used to have secure, everyone just went for kills. They need to stop creating these one life elimination modes in a game that is already extremely sweaty. A traditional CTF variant would have more lasting power than their approach here.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
That's why me and my group always played Dodgeball in Gears 4. It was halfway between TDM and Execution allowing these great momentum swings between teams

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Gridiron is okay. But the xp and such earned from it is pitiful.

And I'm still being betting killed by shots through walls or after I roast someone. Then kill cam shows a complete different scenario. With it without lag, the inconsistencies are common.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Looks like you get 1 star for a win now which is super nice. I actually think they have the tour progression in a nice spot overall. The medals still need some work though.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So, did the update bring good changes? kinda want to comeback

Rodeo Clown

Dec 14, 2017
So, did the update bring good changes? kinda want to comeback
I like it. They made some really smart changes to the tour of duty, it's way easier to unlock the new characters, and I feel like the sandbox is a bit better balanced. The matchmaking still doesn't seem to make equal teams, but supposedly they're working on it.

I think Gridiron is kinda pointless, though. It's basically Halo 5 breakout.