• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I'm not saying the causes are super obvious. I'm just saying that it's clear that these issues are not affecting a small number of users. There is no way that's true. This is not a user related issue, this is something on their end. I only bring up MCC because these frustrating launches of Microsoft first party titles are becoming a theme.
Sure. I don't think anyone is suggesting this is on users. Microsoft isn't blaming their users. They're letting you know that it's being worked on. I guess they could have eliminated the words "small percentage", but it doesn't practically matter either way. If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem. And if it's not, then it's not. Your frustration is warranted, I just think it's silly to extrapolate too much.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Are the server issues impacting campaign co-op? Looking forward to crossplaying with a friend later tonight.

Yes, because it has to do with the squad feature my brother was constantly getting disconnected last night. and he couldn't easily rejoin because it would say he was in my squad already even though he wasn't. so you would quit the campaign it would kill the connection completely take 3 minutes to connect to your online friends and then you can invite him your squad. start the campaign again, we did this five times once every 20 minutes and we just gave up

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh, I finished an escape mission but my tour objective of "escape a challenge hive" didn't get completed?

It has to be the Weekly hive (I think just called "The Hive") - when I went to the "Past Hives", it didn't count there but picking the first box in Escape has worked every time (and it's pretty straightforward aside from the Warden).

I have to do it 4 more times today for my challenge. :|

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
This thread moves pretty fast, so apologies if it's already been answered:

is there a trick to getting the Halo Reach characters to unlock? Despite grabbing the Ultimate edition of the game via Gamepass, they're not there.

lucas_hood

Mar 20, 2018
I beat the first chapter in campaign. Good shit. Tried two matches online and quit due to lag. Is there no more king of the hill ?? That and annex were my fav game modes

The Grizz

Oct 27, 2017
PC gamers, are you all playing with mouse/KB or with a controller? Playing with a mouse/kb right now, but curious what others are using.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Wow. That campaign was absolutely incredible. I knew the game was going to be good, but it completely blew me away.

It is my game of the year right now.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This is immediately better than Gears 4. I couldn't get into that game for some reason. Tried a few times and didn't get far, which I found to be odd considering I enjoyed all of the other games. Think it had to do with the setting, pacing, enemy types and characters early on.

I feel kind of bad for skipping it, but I'm glad they included a "Previously in Gears" segment at the beginning of this game. I already don't like Kait, so we'll see how this one goes.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It has to be the Weekly hive (I think just called "The Hive") - when I went to the "Past Hives", it didn't count there but picking the first box in Escape has worked every time (and it's pretty straightforward aside from the Warden).

I have to do it 4 more times today for my challenge. :|

Thanks, that seems to be it. Try to do that now, server disconnects all the time at the moment, hard to play.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
PC gamers, are you all playing with mouse/KB or with a controller? Playing with a mouse/kb right now, but curious what others are using.

Started with controller, but I took a short break and the controller had automatically turned off. Decided to give the controller a break and play KB/M for a bit.

I didn't pick up the controller after I decided to give it a "break".

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm only midway through Act 2 and this game is like a master class in world building.

Everything from the environments, to dialogue, to collectibles. Collectibles I normally ignore unless they offer some kind of reward. I actively need to check EVERY ROOM and behind EVERY BOX for goodies.

And even though it can be controversially seen as nostalgia baiting, the game does an INCREDIBLE job at tying in the events of Gears 1-3 to this story.

New Ephyra, Riftworm Village (RIP Ben Carmine, found his helmet) New Hope, the assault derricks, Azura, etc etc etc

Oct 29, 2017
Sure. I don't think anyone is suggesting this is on users. Microsoft isn't blaming their users. They're letting you know that it's being worked on. I guess they could have eliminated the words "small percentage", but it doesn't practically matter either way. If it's a problem for you, then it's a problem. And if it's not, then it's not. Your frustration is warranted, I just think it's silly to extrapolate too much.

Without intending to start a semantic argument, I think the specific language in that tweet matters. And I'm mainly frustrated by what I see as a trend on the Xbox One platform, to not be transparent with customers about Azure related server issues especially at launch.

If this was a one off thing from Microsoft I'd be more inclined to agree with you. But the fact that they are claiming that these issues are limited to a subset of users, in my eyes is totally disingenuous. The fact of the matter is that the issues are affecting all users, but the issues only happen a certain percentage of the time (or only affects specific features/services).

I'm glad they're fixing it, that's great. I think pretty much all developers would, because it's something that could impact launch sale numbers. But lets also keep in mind that they ran something that they were calling a "beta" over a month ago, and pretty much all of the issues that impacted the Beta are impacting the launch version of this game.

More broadly, I enjoy playing game's developed by Microsoft, but at the end of the day Microsoft is a corporation. And I am neither an employee or a shareholder of this company. I'd rather call-out what I see as anti-consumer behavior, rather than make excuses for them as a company. Especially when this is paired with crazy cosmetics that cost nearly as much as the game itself. Video game companies are not our friend, especially first party studios owned by one of the world's largest corporations. Again, this isn't a personal thing with any of the devs or employees at The Coalition, I just think we should start calling out broken launch products instead of making excuses. Selling a broken product is unacceptable in any other business, and it shouldn't really be tolerated in the video game industry either.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India

Using my only controller, a DualShock 4.

I tried KBM with Gears of War 4 a bit, and while it made the game feel a lot smoother, it also didn't "feel" like Gears to me. The combination of force feedback, bumpers/triggers, and the sloppy controller aiming is all just part of the Gears experience as far as I'm concerned.

I did use KBM whenever I needed to get out of a jam though, like that Snatcher encounter in the mines.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had 2 crashes on the X, the game goes back to the main menu, i can still hear the game is going on in the background but all i see is the menu and than it crashes to the dashboard. Twice in 30 min.

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
wot? Did they nerf it since Gears 4? It was very easy to down people with the Lancer in 4. You basically use it at range to get people down if they rush out in the open.

Some people like to be cute and think this is 2006 where Lancers suck and you just roll and bounce your way to encounters. Just mowem down. They will panic and try to hard aim gnasher you from 20 feet away.
This generally does work, but not against the better players haha.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
Damn honestly that was probably the best act one of any gears. I'm invested in the characters way more then I was in 4. The mission structure is so much better then it was in 4. Also that ended bit with the boss and what happens after was crazy. Really really good start!!!!

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I got to dabble in horde once yesterday briefly. Do you have to manually deposit now?
I didn't play Gears 4 much. Are you talking energy deposits into the fabricator? As far as I can tell it's only manual. I felt bad after a few rounds having 10k energy I wasn't using, so I went and deposited it all at once lol.

Also, I've yet to get past round 20 or so without my team slowly all quitting out. Does anyone hang out for the end? Or do they just play harder difficulties? I was on intermediate and it was a bit easy.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
I was told that Gears 5 Versus has Gears 1 style Player Match, as in custom matches with public matchmaking.

That alone makes me want to replace my Xbox. Been asking for that to return since fucking Gears 1

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was weird at first using space for roadie run/cover bouncing but I feel pretty comfortable with it now. Clicking heads with the embar feels so nice.

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
Didn't take long for me to buy in. Tutorial mission, when the box opens, I was wowed. Then, first sign of Juvies, had a Retro Lancer, forgot that when you rev the chainsaw, you charge aumatically. It was glorious rushing into a pack of 6 of 'em. Hah. Stoked to see where it all goes, and...honestly, still can't believe that Forza Horizon 4 and this (among many other great games) are ones I'm playing without plunking down $80 Canadian.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was told that Gears 5 Versus has Gears 1 style Player Match, as in custom matches with public matchmaking.

That alone makes me want to replace my Xbox. Been asking for that to return since fucking Gears 1

Any reason? This seems so rose tinted glasses to me since I remember being so frustrated with not full games, and asshole hosts who would boot you and shit.

This was coming from Halo 2 which felt like it finally figured out MP game so to see a modern game being so regressive was frustrating

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
The spawns are really weird in this game. I'm covering with my teammates shooting enemies, then I turn my head and there are guys from the opposite team right next to us.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Got this, WoW, Control, and then the CoD beta comin up. I'm taking some time off lol. Gonna hit this hard this weekend when I can.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm using my Xbox elite controller. Game just feels weird to me on kb+m. I know I'd be more accurate but running, rolling, and taking cover just don't feel right to me. After a few minutes of getting my 'gnasher feels' back I'm wrecking on PC in versus with a controller.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Any reason? This seems so rose tinted glasses to me since I remember being so frustrated with not full games, and asshole hosts who would boot you and shit.

This was coming from Halo 2 which felt like it finally figured out MP game so to see a modern game being so regressive was frustrating

I should have been clearer...

I was robbed last fall and still haven't replaced my Xbox One that was stolen. Hearing that player Match is effectively back makes me want to jump back into Gears ASAP

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017

Xbox One controller. I'm a comfy couch gamer and rarely use mouse and keyboard at all. Most things in Gears like reticules, rumble feedback, menus and similar also feels like it's made for a controller, with the exception being the lack of true analog movement speed (which I wish they would fix in future installments).

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing people talk about Horde games falling apart after 20-30 waves and all I can think is fucking HELL is there STILL not a matchmaking option to join a game in progress or at least round out the quitters with AI teammates?

God damn.