• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
giphy.gif

Lol

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Gears of War 1 Ultimate to prepare for Gears 5, but I think I'm just going to skip 2, 3, and Judgement and only play 4 before playing 5. I feel like I'd burn myself out otherwise.

I'd skip four as well and jump directly into 5. There's a recap video in G5 to get you up to speed.

Oct 29, 2017
Yo. I get what you're saying. But you're making assumptions that you don't know are true. What does Azure related server issues mean? That's such a crazy broad statement as to be not practically useful for anything. And, if you read this thread, it DOESN'T affect every player. Way more than it should, 100% agree, but not everyone. We don't know what the percentage is, and honestly, it doesn't matter. It should be lower and I'll be upset if it doesn't get there. It's just weird that you're choosing to die on this "anti-consumer" hill. Microtransactions can be predatory and anti-consumer. Blocking crossplay is anti-consumer. Not doing regional pricing can be anti-consumer. These are things that are bad for the consumer, but good for the corporation. That's not what's happening here. Yea, let's call out broken launches. Let's do it accurately rather than overstating our argument and eroding our own position. That's all I'm saying.

It's pretty clear that there is some underlying issues with the servers and/or how the game is interfacing with it, as Microsoft has released numerous server side and client side updates since the beta . Azure is a cloud computing service created by Microsoft for building, testing, deploying, and managing applications and services through Microsoft-managed data centers. I'm not trying to diagnose what the specific issue is (and therefore am being broad in my articulation of what I see as the problem), all I'm saying is that these types of issues have been frequent across Xbox One 1st party titles. At this point in the Xbox One's life cycle, I just don't understand why Microsoft isn't more prepared to deal with them. Again, these server issues were a massive problem over a month ago during the Gears 5 beta.

Again, my point is that it does affect everyone. Whether it affects the particular service you are using at any given point in time is the only pending factor. For instance, I can play solo single player and not experience any problems, but as soon as I try to update the list of public custom servers it fails. This is all I mean, my point is that the issues now are affecting everyone, some people are just not using them. This is why I find the earlier tweet so frustrating, because again there is no magical subset of users that doesn't have the client-side issues that everyone is experiencing, otherwise they wouldn't be releasing client-side updates. Again, the problem is with the game itself and the servers. That's all I'm saying.

If I sound frustrated, it's because I'm just tired of dealing with this stuff on Xbox One. Especially when all of these 1st party games have betas that are supposedly used for ironing out these issues.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
I'd skip four as well and jump directly into 5. There's a recap video in G5 to get you up to speed.

In the menu's there is another video called "state of the game" where they recap the entire series". The "previously in Gears" recaps what happened in 4. So you can watch both of these and be up to speed.

Wolf of Yharnam

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 mins to search for a game and then it doesn't even start because not enough players are in the lobby.

This is in the EU

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When I heard there were going to be health bars my first response "fuck that, i'll turn them off". Then I played the game and it worked out fine. I'd be OK if they weren't there at all, but I'm not bothered by them. Probably helps in co-op.
The healthbars and hitmarks do wonders.

Gears games historically have had issues of bullet sponge enemies and this alleviated a lot of that.

Felt good to know I was actually aiming at the right area of a monster because the hit markers would go red/orange and the health would go down dramatically

Noble

Oct 27, 2017
Just jumped in with Game Pass Ultimate and I will definitely buy the game once my sub is over.

Also DAT OST!!!!

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked how they toned down the jokes abit. I mean Gears always has jokes but Gears 4 had constant jokes when they were walking or had cutscenes. Fitted also abit more with the "younger" characters.
But still. Its feels in Gears 5 abit more balanced.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
OUCH.. First time ever my Xbox One X has HARD crashed(turned off mid game).. This was during the Theater fight in Act 1..

ugh

Oct 29, 2017
MCC was a long time ago. It was also an outlier. There launches are on par with the rest of the industry.

That said, it is frustrating.

The reason I bring up MCC is because that game hit early in the Xbox One's life cycle and was also a 1st party title. If you recall, in 2014 MCC was supposed to launch with dedicated servers powered by Azure (when Azure powered Xbox was also relatively new 2013/2014). Microsoft ended up stripping the game of dedicated servers and falling back on peer connections in order to improve stability.

A lot of these same issues were prevalent at various points during Microsoft's Sea of Thieves launch too (more recently). Issues with connecting to the servers, getting kicked from sessions, rewards not unlocking.

I know that it's not uncommon for multiplayer games to have issues at launch, but it's just frustrating how common it is especially on the Xbox ecosystem. I am also growing increasingly frustrated by Microsoft's corporate speak, and the way that they are purposely obtuse in describing existing issues/bugs to users.

Anyway, I want to like this game. The graphics look great, and from what I've played of the campaign it seems much more enjoyable than the last Gears, but their tweets from earlier today set me off (and sound way too similar to what Microsoft said in 2014 with MCC).

IgnotumCL

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just realized i'm playing campaign in Insane difficult, that's why secondary missions are harder than principal lol

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finally was able to complete 50 waves of horde and then it disconnects at the rewards screen and I got absolutely nothing for my efforts. Fuck this game until they fix it.

The Ummah

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Small detail, but I like how the main screen is dynamic and changes the location each time you load up.

Off today and going back into MP. How have the servers been so far? It was rough last night.

Edit: Welp

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Well, I managed to play one whole game of ranked TDM, had fun, couldn't find another match. I'll give the servers another day to settle down and start working.

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone noticed that the character gets wider when on the edge of screen tacking cover standing ?
Never noticed that before :D

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Have they fixed the servers issues now? want to go home and play some horde matches

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Finally was able to complete 50 waves of horde and then it disconnects at the rewards screen and I got absolutely nothing for my efforts. Fuck this game until they fix it.

That sucks. However, one small possible ray of hope: when you are playing Horde, you can actually see yourself level up (your level number on the scoreboard I mean). I think the game rewards you as you go. So it's possible you did get the rewards, but didn't get shown the notifications. It's also possible you got XP but nothing else. Who knows...

aember

Oct 26, 2017
God the multiplayer is so much better than 4's crap.

It took me a few weeks to get to level 30 in that, whereas I'm already past 30 on this. Love it so much.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Coalition just went and made the best Gears of War game and one of the best TPS of all time like it was nothing. God fucking damn.

Anyone experiencing random (and constant) "lost connection to server" pop-ups during Campaign though? I'm playing offline solo but I get that notification every few minutes despite still being connected to Live.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
this launch feels like peak Xbox 360 gen to anyone else? I mean i've had several versions of Xbox One since launch but i don't think i've even beaten a game on it yet, but now i have friends playing this, i will be spending most of my weekend playing coop with a friend too, it's so nice to get this kind of Xbox experiences again, remember this is my personal experience.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That sucks. However, one small possible ray of hope: when you are playing Horde, you can actually see yourself level up (your level number on the scoreboard I mean). I think the game rewards you as you go. So it's possible you did get the rewards, but didn't get shown the notifications. It's also possible you got XP but nothing else. Who knows...

Possibly, I know at the end it does the whole ranking up progress bar along with all the random items you get which none of that happened.

Oct 25, 2017
this launch feels like peak Xbox 360 gen to anyone else? I mean i've had several versions of Xbox One since launch but i don't think i've even beaten a game on it yet, but now i have friends playing this, i will be spending most of my weekend playing coop with a friend too, it's so nice to get this kind of Xbox experiences again, remember this is my personal experience.
not since gears 1 have I felt this fever!