• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Crumb

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so damn excited to play as Kat from Reach. My custom spartan in multiplayer was basically her, so this is gonna get me back in the mood for Reach PC
Hindl VeePs

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Having a weird time with my xbox. Trying to pre load ultimate edition on my console. After multiple attempts I thought I had it. But now it's downloading the thumbnail looks like it is the standard edition and on where I've got download progress it just says Gears 5. No more info. Any idea how I can double check it's downloading the right version?

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Should I play Gears 4 before playing 5? I played 1 and 2 but don't remember much.

I don't know if it's essential really. I just beat it yesterday - did it in about 2 play sessions - 9 hours over a couple weekends.

You can get the whole plot and know everything in about 3 min on a wikipedia entry. 3 min or 9 hours is your real question. What time do you have in your schedule?

Gameplay is whatever... tight and polished, but a lot of the same scenarios over and over. That middle section of the game is a bit of a slog.

Villein

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Wait September 5 local time ? wasn't it September 6 ? is this Early Access for Gamepass Ultimate ?

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
source: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2019/09/03/batista-coming-to-gears-5/

Gears5_Batista_3840x2160_nologo.png

Gears5_BATISTA_GAMEPLAY_01.png

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
No. Act 1 (slight spoiler) of Gears 5 is a recap of the Gears 4 campaign so you don't need to.

Ok. T hanks
I don't know if it's essential really. I just beat it yesterday - did it in about 2 play sessions - 9 hours over a couple weekends.

You can get the whole plot and know everything in about 3 min on a wikipedia entry. 3 min or 9 hours is your real question. What time do you have in your schedule?

Gameplay is whatever... tight and polished, but a lot of the same scenarios over and over. That middle section of the game is a bit of a slog.

I already have it installed so I think I'll play through it. Get my trigger finger ready. Lol

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
Having a weird time with my xbox. Trying to pre load ultimate edition on my console. After multiple attempts I thought I had it. But now it's downloading the thumbnail looks like it is the standard edition and on where I've got download progress it just says Gears 5. No more info. Any idea how I can double check it's downloading the right version?

That's normal. If you installed from the ultimate edition screen your good to go. It's the same on my Xbox.

stormfire

Nov 26, 2018
Most disruptive to the Gears formula, however, is the inclusion of at least two sprawling, quasi-open world levels. One snow and storm-wracked valley, another sun-beaten red desert. You surf across the levels on the Skiff, a kind of heavily armoured wind-surfing vehicle. It's a pleasure to use, skimming between missions and veering off to investigate other points of interest.

It isn't the most populated sandbox you will come across, with no apparent emergent encounters (although a turret manned by 'player two' Del hints at Skiff-based combat elsewhere). But it is a handsome and diverting way of building out Gears' world. The rhythm of wide-open spaces funneling into tight, intimate battles calls to mind Sony's God of War; a touchstone The Coalition is happy to embrace.

"For me, God of War was a big one," says art director Aryan Hanbeck when talking of outside inspirations for fine-tuning the open spaces. "They're not exactly the same scenario we have, but they do such a good job of pointing you to specific places, giving you visual cues that are consistent throughout the whole game. And it was such a fun game to play that we really took a lot of a lot of little cues from that, but tweaked to make sure it fits our experience."

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Good tips

• Markers: While playing solo, if you aim at an enemy and click-in the left stick, it marks them as a target. Your A.I. allies will prioritize that target, which can be useful for taking out more annoying enemies like flying Guardians.
  • Higher difficulty play: The number one thing that will kill you on higher difficulties are explosives since they have no real markers. Take extra care when fighting Scions with Dropshots, Hunters with Torque Bows, or Grenadiers. Dodge rolling by tapping A can save you, but enemies will also track your movements and try to predict where you're going. Sometimes, simply running back and finding higher cover might even be safer.
  • Wardens: Wardens are new enemies that dual-wield maces, and can kill you extremely quickly. They can only be hurt with headshots, but they move extremely slow. Roadie running around with A will prevent them from ever getting to you but always run at an angle. If you try to run past them, they might catch you with a ground slam.
  • Stealth: Gears 5 has some rudimentary stealth mechanics, allowing you to occasionally initialize combat when the enemy is unaware of you. Enemies won't hear your footsteps or executions from behind, but being seen or shooting any type of weapon will alert the area to your presence.
  • Exploration: Gears 5 has a few open-world segments that come with a few side quests, primarily for upgrading Jack's abilities, but also for finding collectibles that enhance the narrative of the game world and story. These side-quest locations are marked by large green flags, typically, so keep an eye on the horizon.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Question regarding Horde: is there still a class that gets 2x power when picking it up? Hopefully they removed that crap with the addition of everyone sharing it now.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if the Microsoft store in London is going to be doing anything on Thursday, I've got a couple of hours to kill until I get my flight back up the road on Thursday night.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Question regarding Horde: is there still a class that gets 2x power when picking it up? Hopefully they removed that crap with the addition of everyone sharing it now.

Rod mentioned that Kait is the Scout and something about her getting bonus power when she picks it up. it's in the Horde reveal video they put up during Gamescom

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
México - United States
They removed those classes altogether. Now characters are the classes themselves, and every character receives the same amount of power when picking it up.

Edit: If the comment above is true, then I guess Kait does pick up more power, which I don't like but eh, not a big deal I guess. ):

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Rod mentioned that Kait is the Scout and something about her getting bonus power when she picks it up. it's in the Horde reveal video they put up during Gamescom
They removed those classes altogether. Now characters are the classes themselves, and every character receives the same amount of power when picking it up.

Edit: If the comment above is true, then I guess Kait does pick up more power, which I don't like but eh, not a big deal I guess. ):

She doesn't pick up double power. This is her passive though:

Passive Ability: Power from nearby kills is increased by 25%.