• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cmagus

Oct 27, 2017
So if I buy the ultimate edition on Steam that will still unlock early today? It keeps saying the 9th even in the cart and I just wanna be sure.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So if I buy the ultimate edition on Steam that will still unlock early today? It keeps saying the 9th even in the cart and I just wanna be sure.

Early access is included in the Ultimate Edition, yes (whether the rolling 9pm unlock applies to the Steam version is sort of up in the air). It's not mentioned on the Ultimate Edition DLC page, but if you click the arrow in the About section on the Gears 5 page, you'll see it listed.

So...VPN for steam or no?

Still no firm word on that front. I think we're just going to have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
looks like we're getting more info about Tour of Duty and future content drops later today.

So the New Zealand trick works regardless of where you own/purchased Gamespass digitally? It's not like the games you had to buy in that region to unlock to that timezone?

there's no way I'm doing that. The Win10 store has a notorious issue with accounts on gears 4, it essentially de-syncs and the game will fail to launch past the splash screen. I had to do a full re-install of Gears 4 to fix it(130GB)

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Still more reviews to come, but it's sitting 85, which is pretty damn great considering they took some big risks that could have backfired spectacularly. Will be very interesting to see what the team can achieve in a 3-4 year development cycle.

Apr 6, 2018
Still more reviews to come, but it's sitting 85, which is pretty damn great considering they took some big risks that could have backfired spectacularly. Will be very interesting to see what the team can achieve in a 3-4 year development cycle.
let's be honest, critics would have never criticized things like walking missions, stealth or half rpg half ow thing, the critics love those things. We had to judge the reaction of the fandom

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
So, With a XGPU I just need to change my settings to Nea Zealand as my country and that's it ? I can play Gears tomorrow ?

Yeah. Countdown timers:

It'll unlock first in NZ. Ultimate Edition (Game Pass Ultimate):

t1567674000z0.png

Standard edition (regular Game Pass):

t1568019600z0.png

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know if you can play with the special character skins (REACH, Terminator, etc) in the Campaign or is that exclusive to Horde and PvP?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm about halfway through and if this keeps up, it's not only far better than Gears of War 4, it might be near Gears of War 3 in terms of how much I've enjoyed the campaign. As an overall package it might end up being my favorite in the series.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm so stoked to play this!

So I'm going through the Gears series working my way to Gears 5 and I was in the process of installing Gears 2 when I realized that I didn't have all the dlc. I tried to install the dlc in game but that didn't seem to work so I went to Xbox.com and found the store page for the All Fronts dlc:
https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/...000000-0000-400c-80cf-00074d53082d?noSplash=1

The dlc was listed as free so I went through the process of adding it to my account but that still hasn't seemed to work. I then noticed that the image for this dlc on the Xbox.com store page appears to be an image of the Japanese Platinum Hits version? Anyway, does anyone know how to get this dlc?

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I thought the whole New Zealand trick only worked if you downloaded "from" the NZ store.

I already have the game preloaded. Do I just switch to New Zealand time zone on xbox and I'm good to go? Or do I need to uninstall it, switch xbox to NZ, and then redownload it.

GP ultimate here.

I also thought you needed to do some weird networking shit to make it stay in NZ. Then again my Xbox is still thinking its in East coast time....

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2.5 year dev cycle is still nuts, that's like no time at all for a AAA title. Wonder if they will extend it for Gears 6.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
new to xbox and gears, still finishing the other campaigns, so will not be touching gears 5 campaign for a bit

but can I just jump into the mp for the mean time?

IOnEI Falcon

Oct 27, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Is the currency in Horde still shared like it was in Gears 4? It was frustrating sometimes playing with randoms when they would spend the teams power on useless things.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Probably the best time to jump in honestly. Plenty of new folks around and others will be getting used to the new stuff so why not.
thanks! ive mainly played FPS, not 3rd person shooters, or gears mp for that matter

any videos i should be watching to get used to it?

Any modes I should be playing?

and im alone on xbox....my buddies are only on ps4, feel free to add me all: xbox live - jorgejjvr

is there a community or discord or some xbox/gears anything that i can join?

Corthier

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New England, USA
Any modes I should be playing?

is there a community or discord or some xbox/gears anything that i can join?
Arcade seems like a decent place to start; given the loadouts, then moving onto escalation for more traditional gears mp.
There is a gearsERA xbox community as well, check the threadmarks. That should give you folks to play with.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
probably the second best deal of my life. Might have reviewed way worse than I expected, but I am hype. $2 usd for this game? The only better deal I've ever had was getting Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition for $1usd due to steam's mistake

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
probably the second best deal of my life. Might have reviewed way worse than I expected, but I am hype. $2 usd for this game? The only better deal I've ever had was getting Dark Souls 3 Deluxe Edition for $1usd due to steam's mistake
The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, it's at 86 on MC right now. This generation that is GOTY type stuff, Spider-Man was an 87.

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK
I'm so stoked to play this!

So I'm going through the Gears series working my way to Gears 5 and I was in the process of installing Gears 2 when I realized that I didn't have all the dlc. I tried to install the dlc in game but that didn't seem to work so I went to Xbox.com and found the store page for the All Fronts dlc:
https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/...000000-0000-400c-80cf-00074d53082d?noSplash=1

The dlc was listed as free so I went through the process of adding it to my account but that still hasn't seemed to work. I then noticed that the image for this dlc on the Xbox.com store page appears to be an image of the Japanese Platinum Hits version? Anyway, does anyone know how to get this dlc?

On your Xbox have you tried going to Manage Game to see if the DLC is in your Ready To Install list?

TheMan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man I want to play GoW 4 to get ready, but 133gb is just too much. I don't feel like going through and deleting a bunch of games. Maybe it's time for a HD upgrade

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
Generally positive reviews is pretty much what i had in mind for Gears 5. Good to see that there's some neat sounding praise for the campaign. I'll look into adding a review "art" to the OT as well.

Apr 6, 2018
2.5 year dev cycle is still nuts, that's like no time at all for a AAA title. Wonder if they will extend it for Gears 6.
They are working on something else... yet it's impressive, it's the biggest shooter this generation
new to xbox and gears, still finishing the other campaigns, so will not be touching gears 5 campaign for a bit

but can I just jump into the mp for the mean time?
start from arcade, but remember that we are talking about a fucking high skill level required because it's full of gods that learned how using each frame of the animation to move as fast as they could fast
Is the currency in Horde still shared like it was in Gears 4? It was frustrating sometimes playing with randoms when they would spend the teams power on useless things.
it's not shared, but the scout class has bonus in precise conditions

ToadPacShakur

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
PC with a Xbox controller. You'll have an extra ultra texture pack just for the PC players.

that's how I'm gonna go about it.

AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T FREEZE ALL THE TIME LIKE GEARS 4 DOES! 😡😡😡

I had no issue with doing the campaign alone, but going into online modes like Horde, the game would freeze/lock up at the first enemy encounter

Dave_6

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna try the X version first since I have an OLED TV. See how the performance is then try out the PC version. I have a 1080ti so I should be able to max it out at 1440p.