• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

both @TCoctus and @nodezero have replied to requests for more modes like 2v2 and FFA. Gears 4 had other modes like Golden Gun as well and I can only assume that they built the MP suite with these in mind for future modes.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
I haven't seen any updates from The Coalition lately. Are they fixing the campaign not registering chapters, and collectibles and cheevo unlocks? I still haven't gotten that remedied yet.

EDIT: I missed this update from yesterday:

"Update: 5:45pm PT
We have been gathering reports from some players missing collectibles and chapter progression, including related achievement progress. We have a plan to target resolving this and work is underway. We'll keep you apprised of any updates. "

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
This game feels PHENOMENAL. PC port is flawless, mouse and keyboard controls feel exactly like any shooter should with them, which isn't always certain for third-person cover shooters.

I haven't played a Gears since 2, but cool for Game Pass on PC getting me to check the series out again. Shit's hype.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So is the mine in Act 2 a wild jump in difficulty, or am I to expect more of this pain from this point on??

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
pretty impressive at how well the dynamic solution works for maintaining fps. so far the hub bits are pretty meh...

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell is arcade mode? It's like they tried to make gears of duty and failed miserably.

Gear fans get upset if they nerf the shotgun, but it's obvious if they don't versus is basically wall bounce and shotgun: the game. Arcade mode was their attempt to get other weapons involved and make it a game that anyone could jump into.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Some of us dont like playing sweaty ping pong with a gnasher
I don't either. I don't even know how to wall bounce and am usually helping my teammates finish people off with my lancer and grenades. You could find me in Gears 4 tearing up gnasher users with the Enforcer. But Arcade mode in Gears 5 lets people pop heads in half a second with Lancers and buy oodles of Longshots so people just sit there camping the whole time and I can't see how they find that fun.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was thinking the Coalition for Gears 6 should really flesh out the Jack skills / character ultimates system. It's the perfect evolution for the Gears gameplay. Forcing action in a cover based shooter was the absolute necessary step they had to take.

They should go all out and add 4 offensive and 4 support abilities. They don't share a cool down and can be independent of each other.

Trigger + face buttons:
X. Flash freeze
Y. Mind control
A. Plant mine
B. Jack drops a grenade from your inventory right on top of the enemy. Essentially forces enemies out of the cover.

Left bumper + face buttons:
X. Ping
Y. Defensive blast: Jack releases a blast of energy that knocks all enemies away from you and stuns them.
A. One way shield
B. Stim

Y button is reserved for character ultimates. Some operate on cool-down but some if not all are re-charged via doing damage. The main idea for ultimates would be stalemate breaker, tide turner / battle mop-up. For SP your ultimate would be decided for you by the mission designers for each chapter.

I was thinking:

1. Cloak: Self explanatory.
2. Berserk mode: Increased speed, health, melee damage
3. Shoot through walls and cover mode from Horde
4. Vampire mode. Increased health, regain health via doing damage.
5. Hammer of Dawn Beacon + Portable bubble shield. Self explanatory.
etc.

People might argue that with these many skills it can be overwhelming. However some of these skills are very situational.

A typical encounter would be:

1. Planting the shock mines in choke points / guard the rear.
2. Mind control opportune enemy.
3. Flash freeze aggressive enemies / larger types.
4. Use Jack's grenade drop ability on enemies hiding behind cover.
5. Ping to identify hiders.
6. Use one way shield to advance.
6. Use ultimates whenever it's charged.
7. Use stim whenever to self-revive. Use defensive blast to get Swarm off your grill.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Act 2. Gotta say I was expecting a lot worse from that boss fight considering some posts I've read in this thread. I liked it to be honest. I got annoyed at the halfway point in the fight when it did a new attack I didn't see coming that led to an instant death. But once I knew what that attack was it was easy to avoid it next time and I didn't have trouble.

I have to say I much preferred Act 1 to Act 2. Act 2 didn't truly get going until the story revelations towards the end, and the open world stuff absolutely does hurt the pacing. I enjoy the exploration and it does feel rewarding to find components and do the side stuff since your rewards are true gameplay benefits. I'm enjoying the exploration, but yes the pace is affected and it's not that constant action I expect from a Gears game. We'll see how Act 3 goes.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
For some reason the game installed but when I'm in the game, it says 81% complete. Campaign is fully installed but Horde and Escape aren't.

The weird thing is, It's not downloading in my store. Hell, It's not even there because my computer thinks It's done. I really hope I don't have to uninstall it and reinstall again because it took me about 14 hours with my shit internet.

Oh, I'm on PC btw.

Deleted member 23908

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there anyway to remap lancer chainsaw to hold b like in previous games? Holding reload just doesn't feel right :(

Also the guy who voices marcus deserves an oscar or something his voice is ICONIC

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Is there anyway to remap lancer chainsaw to hold b like in previous games? Holding reload just doesn't feel right :(

Also the guy who voices marcus deserves an oscar or something his voice is ICONIC

That's the one and only John DiMaggio. He also voices

bender.jpg

and Jake the Dog.

image.jpg

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
I don't either. I don't even know how to wall bounce and am usually helping my teammates finish people off with my lancer and grenades. You could find me in Gears 4 tearing up gnasher users with the Enforcer. But Arcade mode in Gears 5 lets people pop heads in half a second with Lancers and buy oodles of Longshots so people just sit there camping the whole time and I can't see how they find that fun.
It would interesting to see super fiesta version of arcade for a limited time, when your character is random and you have to change your play style based on that. Or limit the number of times you can use each character in one match/in the row.

Jun 10, 2018
I'd like to see a Gears Battle Royale in Gears 5. Hopefully that is one of the modes they're working on. It'd be interesting to see a Gears take on the BR genre with the Gears gameplay and map design.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Gears has always had a problem retaining lower skilled players. I can't remember where I saw the quote, but when players try the MP for the first time, and don't get a kill, they are very unlikely to ever play again.

This mode is designed to let people find some sort of success in the MP without having to first come to terms with high base level skill requirements.

It could use some tweaks, and time will tell if they'll succeed, but my guess is this will be generally more generally appealing than classic competitive gears.

flyshow

Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone know why Gears 5 has mixed review on Steams? I see a LOT of Chinese negative reviews, does the game has any issues over in China? No localization?

Players who bought the ultimate edition in China region were blocked from early access; game was secretly changed to a China only SKU, though no censorship has been found yet; massive Xbox Live connection failure.

So basically weird publishing decision and poor PR management.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Sorry if this has been asked before (OP didn't mention it) but apparently, for the PC version, there is no splitscreen for Horde and Escape modes?

Is there any chance this would get patched in later on? Because that is some honest-to-god bullshit, I was planning on playing this with my SO, and while I'd still enjoy the campaign, Horde was a lot of fun too and it really makes me want to wait for a price drop...

TheRed

Oct 31, 2017
Gears has always had a problem retaining lower skilled players. I can't remember where I saw the quote, but when players try the MP for the first time, and don't get a kill, they are very unlikely to ever play again.

This mode is designed to let people find some sort of success in the MP without having to first come to terms with high base level skill requirements.

It could use some tweaks, and time will tell if they'll succeed, but my guess is this will be generally more generally appealing than classic competitive gears.
Their really just needs to be a limit on amount of sniper characters that can be chosen in Arcade. 1 or 2 allowed. Idk why it's that hard for games to do this. Battlefield has always needed to limit snipers too but they never do it, then everything is a snipe fest.
Insurgency and other more serious military games do it and I've never had a problem and it makes the game much more enjoyable.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Whew, just did a full round of beginner horde. Probably something I wouldn't do much heh, but it was fun. Got destroyed by those lasers at one point in the exhibit. D:

So question about the medal stuff in Tour. Are they only up for a week before resetting?

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I love Escape. Chasing those top leaderboard times is addictive as hell. I'm already in the top 3%, hoping to get into the top 1% by the end of the week so I can get both of the Hivebuster skins.

Anyone want to go for some Advanced or Elite runs? The higher the difficulty, the better the time bonus at the end.
Whew, just did a full round of beginner horde. Probably something I wouldn't do much heh, but it was fun. Got destroyed by those lasers at one point in the exhibit. D:

So question about the medal stuff in Tour. Are they only up for a week before resetting?
Three months. It's a known bug TC is fixing.