• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I just got one of the best clips I've ever gotten in gears, hit the record recent clip button on Xbox, and I go to look at the clip and it records 7 seconds of a completely random moment in the game. Sweet.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So where the heck is Lena at? I can't find where she is supposed to be.

ryan299

Oct 25, 2017
Sure it's been asked a bunch but do I have to play gears 4 to understand the story in this one? Played act 1 and never went back to it.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
So where the heck is Lena at? I can't find where she is supposed to be.
Building to the left from the path that leads to first tower
gJiRKsF.jpg

Sure it's been asked a bunch but do I have to play gears 4 to understand the story in this one? Played act 1 and never went back to it.
Recap of Gears 4 video is part of opening cinematic, can't miss it. Shows you everything you need to know. Also there is a summary of original trilogy in Extras menu.

Last edited:

Full Recovery

Needs a sandwich
Oct 26, 2017
USA
Headshots seem really easy in versus. Sometimes I feel like even when I'm shooting an enemy in the upper torso/neck area I still get them. Doesn't seem right.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
man just like gears 4 the campaign becomes a bit of a slog in the middle and then abruptly ends

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
I don't think that there's many people who didn't like 4's campaign, it was just unremarkable. There were some great bits in it, and some bad bits as well, but overall it was just good, and it felt too safe to anyone already well acquainted with Gears. To someone who hasn't played a Gears game before, 4 could be a good starting-off point, and the story of 5 is a direct continuation.

Of course, I would also recommend playing the older games, as they're still great and a lot of fun, but that can wait. Gears 4, then 5 is what I think would work best for newcomers, although 5 can also be played on its own if you watch the two videos found under Extras. Gears 5 contains many cool touches for long time fans of the series, however.
Very cool. I think I'll start with 4 and see how I like it. If it's not clicking I'll just watch a video and jump into 5.

The_R3medy

Jan 22, 2018
Wisconsin
Just finished the campaign. Good lord that was phenomenal.

Absolutely love this game, and can't wait for where they take the series next. Jesus I was not expecting to be emotionally effected by a Gears story, but here we are.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Act 3 so I should be done sometime tomorrow after work. So far I'm really enjoying it. Right now it's better then 4 and depending on the ending I might end up liking it more then Gears 1. Unless the ending is phenomenal I don't think it'll overtake 2 and 3 in my eyes.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I mean Gears 4 was rather pedestrian but at the end of the day it's still has the Gears foundation with really production values. It's not like there are that many high end linear shooters to play these days in the first place.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
So I have to wait for the in game store to update in a week and cross my fingers to get the Hoffman skin I've used in every game?

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
To be clear, there's no after credit scene, right? The game soft crashed at the end of the credits which then domino'd into my Xbox exploding, but when I checked YouTube I couldn't find anything after the credits.

Pretty uh... abrupt ending if that's the case though.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
It drives me nuts when people pick Asylum over Icebound. Asylum is literally a terrible map. The only worse map is Exhibit.
Ok now I'm going to have to un-politely disagree with this opinion. I mean I like ice bound but asylum and ESPECIALLY exhibit shit on it tbh. Each their own ig, kinda curious why you love icebound so much?

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I mean Gears 4 was rather pedestrian but at the end of the day it's still has the Gears foundation with really production values. It's not like there are that many high end linear shooters to play these days in the first place.
If there were more things like act 1 whilst having sections like act 2 and 3 (haven't even reached 3 so idk the rest) I'd be all for that tbh. Make it open world when it needs to be, I felt like act 2 was good breather from act 1 and I liked all the lore stuff that was there, but man the opening of the game was straight high octane Michael bay mayhem... which is exactly what I expect from gears. To bad critics don't see it that way. They c an only love the linear parts ONLY if it's paired with the more open areas because.... because that's the cool thing nowadays I guess? Either way I still liked it, but in all honesty all it was is a wait time to get to the next chess match/war zone/gears combat that I love so much, which is appreciated but it also like, ok, thanks I guess? Ya know what I mean? Wasn't that necessary, cool to have but not necessary.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
playing KOTH ranked...they need to explain how I'm favored to win every match with the trash ass randoms I got playin on my side. If round one of KOTH ends and you got sub-2000 points, did you even play? Why rush in 1v5 on the hill? Why no smoke tag? Why does nobody pick up power weapons on my squad? Why hard aim gnasher from 30 feet out? Oh but if it get 11k points across two rounds and lose my silver rank drops...aight

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Adding to this question,
Sorry if this has been asked before (OP didn't mention it) but apparently, for the PC version, there is no splitscreen for Horde and Escape modes?

Is there any chance this would get patched in later on? Because that is some honest-to-god bullshit, I was planning on playing this with my SO, and while I'd still enjoy the campaign, Horde was a lot of fun too and it really makes me want to wait for a price drop...
Can the campaign be played in 3 player coop or is it just 2? PC version.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Hm, got a game breaking bug... for some reason Jack is missing one of his abilities (the first one, Pulse), and now on act 2 you need to use it to progress... any idea?

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Hm, got a game breaking bug... for some reason Jack is missing one of his abilities (the first one, Pulse), and now on act 2 you need to use it to progress... any idea?

It might be related to the issues with collectables and campaign progression that have resurfaced. I've stopped playing for the time being as the Security Memorandum collectable in 2-4 wasn't flagged as found, even though it's tied to a side-mission, and I can only assume I'll encounter more problems if I progress further.

Kaji AF16

Nov 6, 2017
Argentina
Enjoying the game a lot in every mode. I am currently leveling up in Arcade Quickplay before returning to the campaign for some achievement hunting. Some achievements still seem to be glitched (mainly those related to Escape).

Last night I was invited to the launch party that Microsoft organized here in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Lots of free drinks, food, customized dog tags and codes for 3 months of Ultimate Game Pass.

IMG_20190910_212140.jpg

IMG_20190910_224848.jpg

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna have to quit until they fix the audio issues on PC. Got to Act 3 and now its happening constantly. It has something to do with asset streaming or frame drops not sure which.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow that end of Act 2 boss fight was terrible. No challenge at all unless you get 1 hit killed, but that's easy to avoid after your first death or two.

Jack is a very welcome addition and I like upgrading him. The open world aspect I'm not sure I like, but it's different and at least they're trying to switch it up.

One thing that kills me is how much I dislike using certain weapons compared to others in this game. The automatics are so underwhelming compared to the single shots like the Boltok

Multiplayer I'm not really feeling Idk maybe I just need an Execution playlist, but I'm not that interested in multiplayer right now. The campaign is a lot better than 4's so far, but I do wish I wish more interested in these characters or the storytelling. That would've definitely helped elevate this game and made me care less about some of the issues I have.

Haven't tried Horde or Escape yet.