• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying this so far, but now I'm getting repeated "game security violation" warnings and the game closes and I'm not entirely sure why.

I don't have an Xbox controller, so in order to use my DS4, I'm using DS4windows, which is the only thing I can think of. Anyone else have this issue and solve it?

kaospilot

Oct 25, 2017
Trying to get a game of horde in but had a few disconnects this morning, the only half decent game so far someone built the base between the tracks on asylum... Someone died every wave to the train.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

Not that crazy. The state of the overworld is stored when you enter an objective location, and restored when you get back. Still, pretty neat to see.

Wow that end of Act 2 boss fight was terrible. No challenge at all unless you get 1 hit killed, but that's easy to avoid after your first death or two.

I guess that depends on your chosen difficulty, I knew exactly what to do, but still had to repeat that fight at least a dozen times.

One thing that kills me is how much I dislike using certain weapons compared to others in this game. The automatics are so underwhelming compared to the single shots like the Boltok

Boltok is great, but so are some of the automatics, like the amazing Claw, and even Lancers, both of which come equipped with useful secondary abilities. They talked about it in one of the last episodes of Unlocked - there are so many guns in the game at this point that anyone should be able to find their favourites, and they won't be the same weapons for all people.

Holy fuck the AI is stupid!!!! I'm launching a salvo rocket at a target with no enemy's around. What do they decide to do, roll right in front of me and blow my ass up cause the rockets hit there body!!!

Yup, it can be really stupid, especially when you need to be revived, and they go and perform lengthy executions instead. Or that one battle late in the game when they will go and get their dumb asses killed time and time again. Thankfully, Jack and his abilities allow you to sometimes rectify their mistakes.

i would say the reviewers were correct
Despite being a Kait focused game, it's really only act 2 that had her in the limelight. Act 3 and 4, while very fun, were really just standard Gears stuff with wrestling to get the hammer of dawn online and obviously fighting back the invasion.
While I would agree that it stops being Kait's story (until the very end), the story on the whole doesn't die down or disintegrate. Instead, it turns from being a personal journey into dealing with a larger universal threat. That's escalation, the very opposite of dying out.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it was exactly what I would expect from a Gears game, just handled a bit better than in the Epic games. And I so appreciated all the locations, characters, and callbacks to events from the previous games, they worked extremely well for me.

You can use Jack's shield ability here to have the grenades bounce away, or you can stim and survive a direct hit, or you can use invisibility which will cause the Scion to not shoot at all.

For every tough encounter, there is a myriad of ways to overcome it, whether through Jack abilities, a good choice of weapon, or finding the right spot of cover or flank route.

Right, I don't even have a recollection of that encounter, it was such a non-issue for me. Likewise with the impaired visibility in that one boss fight,
just stand on ice, make a hole in it, and wait for the enemy who will walk straight toward you to fall in it - works every time.

Not to say that there were no questionable design decisions here and there, but that's true for almost every game in existence. I thought that they were really rare, and the percentage of excellently designed encounters was unusually, almost absurdly high.

EDIT: Come to think of it, I have to mention one sequence that just didn't work for me, and I was left wondering what the hell the devs were thinking. It's at the very end, when you
get off the truck to deal with a bunch of enemies before you get back on the truck and continue toward the final location. The battle with the grunts is fine, but then a lone Carrier appears. The problem is, there are just two of you (I think), and there are not that many power weapons and ammo in the arena. At the same time, the size and the design of the arena makes it very easy to avoid the Carrier's attacks (its AI can also glitch out, making it even easier), so its not really a threat, it's just a drawn out sequence where you slowly whittle its health down to zero. That's right after the cutscene in which you plow your way through advancing Swarm hordes, but here everything comes to a standstill until you can kill that one Carrier, and only then the furious pace picks up again. Such a weird pacing decision.

Last edited:

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remo Williams said:
just stand on ice, make a hole in it, and wait for the enemy who will walk straight toward you to fall in it - works every time.

That mostly worked for me for the first stage of the boss fight. For the second stage she'd often barely walk or run on the ice, and would instead just keep incredible hulk jump slamming everywhere. I'd have to position myself on the ice, and roll out the way so she'd dive bomb straight into it. Obviously a bit harder to do if you can't see anything lol. Not a big issue, but just seemed like an odd design decision to temporarily take away your vision in what was an already pretty frustrating fight, at least on Experienced Solo

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Does the Matriarch even attack during your visions? I figured those moments were good to get your bearings and add some time to recharge abilities, besides the obvious story importance.

Anyways, my tactic of freezing + nade tagging her back + shooting her back with a retro Lancer once the nade makes her fall in the water worked beautifully. I died twice in that fight, both times from standing directly in front of her when she leaped out of the water which is a one shot death.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
That mostly worked for me for the first stage of the boss fight. For the second stage she'd often barely walk or run on the ice, and would instead just keep incredible hulk jump slamming everywhere. I'd have to position myself on the ice, and roll out the way so she'd dive bomb straight into it. Obviously a bit harder to do if you can't see anything lol. Not a big issue, but just seemed like an odd design decision to temporarily take away your vision in what was an already pretty frustrating fight, at least on Experienced Solo
I also played solo on Experienced, but strangely, I don't remember experiencing a single impared vision moment once she would start with spike and leap attacks. Or there were visions, but she would not perform that combo once they started. That said, even in those cases you can turn yourself invisible, or stim yourself or just run and hope for the best :)

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does the Matriarch even attack during your visions? I figured those moments were good to get your bearings and add some time to recharge abilities, besides the obvious story importance.

Anyways, my tactic of freezing + nade tagging her back + shooting her back with a retro Lancer once the nade makes her fall in the water worked beautifully. I died twice in that fight, both times from standing directly in front of her when she leaped out of the water which is a one shot death.

She definitely does, I was playing in co-op experienced and she still seemed to target me.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can someone clearly explain how does 2 player coop work? Who controls Jack and buys abilities? Can both players control him or is it only the lead player who has access to him, and 2nd player is just along for the ride with fewer gameplay features?

Surface of Me

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can someone clearly explain how does 2 player coop work? Who controls Jack and buys abilities? Can both players control him or is it only the lead player who has access to him, and 2nd player is just along for the ride with fewer gameplay features?

Lead player upgrades Jack, both players can use Jack abilities. I know this because my co-op partner loves smashing cloak right before I smash stim. :')

I've noticed that both players get whatever collectibles the other picks up, but I think that is save specific. IE if my 2P co-op buddy picks up a Jack component, I get it as lead player, but I dont think he will if he loads his own campaign.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Both can use him, but share cooldowns which kinda sucks. I am pretty sure I could do upgrades as player 2, too. At least I had to do it in a tutorial.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
I loved the trilogy on Xbox 360. Tried Gears 4 on PC and the shooting felt kinda... flat? I gave up really quickly.

Maybe because it was missing rumble from a controller or is it just outdated?

Anyhow, how does the gunplay feel in Gears 5? Wish I could play it on a console but I'm curious if the PC version is worth it.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the trilogy on Xbox 360. Tried Gears 4 on PC and the shooting felt kinda... flat? I gave up really quickly.

Anyhow, how does the gunplay feel in Gears 5? Wish I could play it on a console but I'm curious if the PC version is worth it.
Gunplay is on point, but I also liked it in Gears 4 ... The game is 1$ in gamepass on PC, so it's not really a risk to just try it for yourself?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lead player upgrades Jack, both players can use Jack abilities. I know this because my co-op partner loves smashing cloak right before I smash stim. :')

I've noticed that both players get whatever collectibles the other picks up, but I think that is save specific. IE if my 2P co-op buddy picks up a Jack component, I get it as lead player, but I dont think he will if he loads his own campaign.
Both can use him, but share cooldowns which kinda sucks. I am pretty sure I could do upgrades as player 2, too. At least I had to do it in a tutorial.
Thanks for explanations. Not a fan of this coop approach. Coop should be designed so all players have full experience without any limitations.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018

No complaints here. The guns sound great, it feels tactile (not sure how it would feel without rumble, though), with good enemy reactions, apart from the bullet sponges.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm at the end of Act 3 now, don't really have a history with Gears (played the first one on PC) but I'm enjoying this for the simple fact that I'm not really into third person shooters (or shooters in general), so this is nice distraction.

I'm not really sure what to make of the story, because I don't know the story of the earlier titles, and reading the notes from the relics/files you find is boring me (even though that's something I always in other games).
Riding the skiff is fun since it controls well but I agree with Jeff from GB that the open world is kind of weird, since there's really nothing to do outside of the missions. On the other hand, I'm not sure if an open world even complements this sort of game since it feels like anything you'd wanna do is really limited by how the game controls.
Adding outposts wouldn't make this open world better for me, and I really can't think of things you could add to it. There's probably some ideas to play around with Jack but even those feel limited and something like puzzles doesn't really feel like it belongs in this game.

Overall I'm having a nice time with it but that's about it, I think it's a competent third person shooter that's looks really nice.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
No complaints here. The guns sound great, it feels tactile (not sure how it would feel without rumble, though), with good enemy reactions, apart from the bullet sponges.
Tactile, that is the word I was looking for. Gears 4 felt to me like it lacked feedback when shooting (on PC). I'll probably cave in soon and try it out. The reviews sound great.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for explanations. Not a fan of this coop approach. Coop should be designed so all players have full experience without any limitations.

I think it's designed so that players have to coordinate and share the resource. Makes sense to me, though your way would probably be fun too.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Gamepass isn't and probably never will be available in my country, unfortunately. Maybe I'll try Gears 4 again with a controller and see if that makes a difference.

Can't you just change your Windows location setting and still use it? Xbox Live is not supported in my country at all (on console, it is on PC - go figure), but I can change my location setting to something like UK, and use Live and Game Pass without issues.

AverageFisk

Oct 30, 2017
Can't you just change your Windows location setting and still use it? Xbox Live is not supported in my country at all (on console, it is on PC - go figure), but I can change my location setting to something like UK, and use Live and Game Pass without issues.
I did not know that, going to try it tonight. Gamepass on PC sounds sweet.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Does anyone understand how the scoring works in Horde? Post match it ranks the players in order however if you go by the stats it seems to say otherwise. Often times the MVP of the match has a lower kill count, less damage done, less revives, and less assists than someone else in the game.

Dec 25, 2018
Me and my bro had a much smoother co-op experience yesterday, gliding right into act II with no checkpoint glitch's (or getting stuck behind a door in a room that hadn't loaded yet in act I). loving it so far and he's pretty impressed by the new stuff added so far.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Gahhh the Breaker's strong attack is like a more powerful Digger. I'm thinking this will be the first big balance rework.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
So Gears is most played in:

US
UK
Mexico
Germany
Brazil
South Korea
Japan
Greece
Australia
Ireland
Italy
Saudi and UAE
France
India

The game is a total success. Deserved.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 4 question

I'm currently downloading Gears 4 to my PC to play before I get Gears 5, but its uh.....unreasonably huge. Luckily, I have a spare harddrive that I got just to keep my game files on a hard drive, since I dislike downloading large games over and over. Once I finish downloading it, I'd like to copy over the game files to my external harddrive. If I ever decide I want to play Gears 4 again, could I just copy over my files from my harddrive back onto my computer and not have the MS store download the entire game over again?

Or am I just screwed at having to download this stupidly, absurdly large game every time I want to play gears 4?

Also, I asked this before, but maybe with Gears 5 success, they'll change their minds, but....is there any chance of Gears 4 coming to Steam?

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So that part from the 2018 trailer with the flying swarm. Just had it. I would say the blur effect is gone but that's about it. Also the cantine is pretty much what I remember seeing in the trailer. Minor things have changed but so far they mostly just pulled it off and at a lovely 60fps too, wow.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really wish Horde mode wouldn't wrestle control away from you after every wave with the menu screen. So annoying.
Actually, you can still control and run around. I usually use this time to run around collecting fuzzy yellow blobs of energy. Also, if you interact with something and the round ends, just keep your finger on the button and it will continue.

I do think they should make the screen clear, instead of blurring it out all the time.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Actually, you can still control and run around. I usually use this time to run around collecting fuzzy yellow blobs of energy. Also, if you interact with something and the round ends, just keep your finger on the button and it will continue.

I do think they should make the screen clear, instead of blurring it out all the time.

Yeah that's basically what I mean. I don't really see the need to obscure the screen with Things when it would feel more immersive if I could just keep running around unimpeded.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah that's basically what I mean. I don't really see the need to obscure the screen with Things when it would feel more immersive if I could just keep running around unimpeded.
Agreed. I don't know why they do it. Seems pointless, unless it's hiding some loading or some such thing. Just make it clean, let players hoover up their energy and focus on the rounds ahead.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm at the end of Act 3 now, don't really have a history with Gears (played the first one on PC) but I'm enjoying this for the simple fact that I'm not really into third person shooters (or shooters in general), so this is nice distraction.

I'm not really sure what to make of the story, because I don't know the story of the earlier titles, and reading the notes from the relics/files you find is boring me (even though that's something I always in other games).
Riding the skiff is fun since it controls well but I agree with Jeff from GB that the open world is kind of weird, since there's really nothing to do outside of the missions. On the other hand, I'm not sure if an open world even complements this sort of game since it feels like anything you'd wanna do is really limited by how the game controls.
Adding outposts wouldn't make this open world better for me, and I really can't think of things you could add to it. There's probably some ideas to play around with Jack but even those feel limited and something like puzzles doesn't really feel like it belongs in this game.

Overall I'm having a nice time with it but that's about it, I think it's a competent third person shooter that's looks really nice.
It might not help but check out the two story videos in the "extras" section - it gives you some context to gears in general, and Kait's story from 4 in particular.

They're only 5 minutes long or so

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
So I finally beat the campaign on 'Experienced' level last night, and man I LOVED this game. I would recommend playing on that difficulty level if you have played Gears before because it really let me experiment with Jack and take advantage of his abilities. I pretty much NEVER replay games, but I am already planning a co-op campaign run so that I can play as Jack which should be an interesting different perspective.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Got to wave 32 of horde with some randoms (AI filled out the last two slots toward the end) on one of the higher settings, and a friend was able to jump in for the last 9 waves mid-session without any issue. Online was all smooth/ideal last night. Felt awesome.

We did however run into a bug where that friend got yanked from the lobby for Escape into the Bootcamp tutorial, which was inexplicably set to our higher difficulty, so when Dave shocked him to "down" him, it just gibbed him and he had to restart from the checkpoint. Super weird bug.

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
Got to wave 32 of horde with some randoms (AI filled out the last two slots toward the end) on one of the higher settings, and a friend was able to jump in for the last 9 waves mid-session without any issue. Online was all smooth/ideal last night. Felt awesome.

We did however run into a bug where that friend got yanked from the lobby for Escape into the Bootcamp tutorial, which was inexplicably set to our higher difficulty, so when Dave shocked him to "down" him, it just gibbed him and he had to restart from the checkpoint. Super weird bug.
Lol! Amazing and weird bug!

rangersfan414

Oct 27, 2017
You get skill cards as a reward for completing the hive. On higher difficulties you can unlock better skill cards (rare, exotic, etc). When choosing difficulty, there is icon on the left, showing what type of card you can unlock.

Right, I'm currently level 12 in escape. Does this mean I'll stop earning cards once i hit 15/15? Is it 15 completions?