• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Ok just finished the campaign. Even with having to restart act 3 chapter 4, I never found act 3 to drag like others have. I wanted to explore the entire map, and I did things along the way. Everything felt logical enough. It's not like it takes 15 minutes to travel across the map, you move quickly and directly enough to get anywhere you need to go and complete a task. But that's just me.

But man. Nobody prepared me for act 4. Y'all were taking about how great it was blah blah blah
yo. I thought the first act was sad. But..
Man. I was not prepared for the choice or what happened. I was not prepared for all the sequences afterward. I get how some people say this is a cliffhanger, but it's DEFINITELY NOT incomplete. It's empire strikes back. It's satisfying, but it is dark. Man. Also.. Wait.. Did Carmine survive the end?

Yeah in some respects the Division is much slicker in its controls. At the same time I still like the way Gears does it. Perhaps it's just familiarity.

There's a lot of very basic core Gears stuff that has hardly changed at all. I wonder if the next one will see a real seachange in that kinda stuff. I suspect not, but who knows...
You know, I don't know if it's novelty. But as a first time gears player, I thought it controlled fantastically. Different from division, but I didn't miss those "modern" controls at all. And it's not a given that it would be so. I've always thought gears looked clunky and bulletspongy when I watched it.

I don't know if it's just gears 5 or what, but I see that I had the wrong idea now. It's fun to play and fun to shoot.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Already had this crash/bug out on me three times and I'm only on the beginning of Act 2. Thankfully I never lost too much progress but this is a joke.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game has been buggy for me. Doing some side mission in Act 3 and I've had it soft lock twice. Complete the mission, can't get back on the skiff and if I restart checkpoint I have to do the mission over again. Not the first time something like this happened. Had something similar happen in Act 1 where Del wouldn't move and I couldn't trigger the quest objective.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yeah in some respects the Division is much slicker in its controls. At the same time I still like the way Gears does it. Perhaps it's just familiarity.

There's a lot of very basic core Gears stuff that has hardly changed at all. I wonder if the next one will see a real seachange in that kinda stuff. I suspect not, but who knows...

They should only change things if they can actually improve upon them. I don't know how I'd feel about change for the sake of change. It's not like there are many games like Gears left, the popularity of the cover shooter is way past its prime.

I'm all for spin-offs that take more risks, however. There's a lot that they could do with the franchise.

Oct 25, 2017
The Matriarch boss fight is probably one of the worst boss fights in Gears history. I was really digging the game but the amount of times ive died because I was caught on an invisible wall around the ice is staggering. Not to mention it takes eons to get behind her when she is forzen, and what weapons do they leave you? The retro which kicks like a mule and a sniper rifle... In a close quarters fight. Trying to do this solo is painful. Oh let's not forget to blind the player in red connection mist. Are the later bosses harder than this?

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Ok just finished the campaign. Even with having to restart act 3 chapter 4, I never found act 3 to drag like others have.

Me neither, until the end when I was asked to go back to the desert. At first I thought that the game finally glitched out on me for doing chapter objectives out of order - there were no new markers on the map, and I've already explored it thoroughly - but then the mystery was resolved. So it did drag just a bit, but what followed was worth it.

The third act might even be my favourite, but it's hard to pick just one. The second act was a bit weaker to me, but all the others were equally strong.

They tried control changes with Gears Judgment. The overall result could basically be summed up by "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

I actually liked that, but that's because I've always preferred Halo to Gears (Judgment basically had Halo's control scheme, with the added cover mechanics, and also Halo's weapon system). But I'm also fine with the Gears standard.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting sick and tired of joining a horde match, picking my character and then someone who was in the lobby before me decides at the last second to switch to the character I picked and then getting booted off of that character just because they were in the lobby first. If I pick a character that nobody else has picked I shouldn't be forced off of that character just because someone who got put in the lobby before me decides to change their mind.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

rangersfan414

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone else find a match in any ranked game mode? I've been in queues for 5+ minutes before backing out due to not finding a match. However, arcade mode takes 15 seconds to find a match.

Oct 25, 2017
Finally killed the matriarch and the game fucking glitches on the cutscene, crashes and now I have to kill it again. Not acceptable, I don't think I ever encountered a Gears title where the campaign was this fucking buggy.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I really, really don't get the ranked mode. This is probably the worst ranked mode I've ever played and I'm not kidding.

No matter what I do, or how good the round is, even if everything went f'n awesome and I make a shit ton of kills and help a lot in KotH as example to get rings and win the round, I always, f'n always end up with a huge pile of minus points. It doesn't make f'n sense at all and makes me want to quit so badly like no other game ever did before. It's so derogative that it almost feels like bullying. I had so many great rounds with a positive K/D and everything and the game still says "Nope, you're garbage, what are you still doing here?".

Continuation of this.

I'm really close to quit the whole game because of that. I have so many great rounds today, it's really fun, I'm like 3rd of my group, K/D is positive, I defended so many great circles in KotH, we win, end of the round -176 points.

I. Really. Don't. F'n. Get. It. And it starts to ruin my f'n day so badly. Every single god damn pissing round. This is the worst rating system I've ever seen.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't finished campaign yet but why isn't Hammer of Dawn in multiplayer? Could've swore that was in the old ones.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Finally killed the matriarch and the game fucking glitches on the cutscene, crashes and now I have to kill it again. Not acceptable, I don't think I ever encountered a Gears title where the campaign was this fucking buggy.

Yeah, I hated that fight a ton. Once I realized the shotgun shattered the ice in one shot I just kept her on one side of the room where she'd jump back to the same spot each time and just slowly whittled her down. It was such an unfun fight. I probably died more in that fight than I did in Gears 4 + 5 (until that point).

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
Boss fight
Wish the Matriarch fight was more of a proper Berserker fight. I know it wasn't the right time narratively for Hammer of Dawn, but perhaps they should have saved this for the finale somehow.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I hated that fight a ton. Once I realized the shotgun shattered the ice in one shot I just kept her on one side of the room where she'd jump back to the same spot each time and just slowly whittled her down. It was such an unfun fight. I probably died more in that fight than I did in Gears 4 + 5 (until that point).
Ive never died this much in a Gears game on any boss on normal difficulty. The fact that it crashed and I have to do this shit again just adds salt in the wound (which is ironic cause I just accidentally cut my thump on a razor getting a new blade for a shaver is literally what I felt in my mind, taking a brief break from the fight).

It doesn't help also that there's like not much room to work in the fight and I keep getting stuck on the ice when trying to quickly run behind it. I swear if I hear katttiieeeee one more time Im gonna become this Berserker.

I switched to the shotgun though on your advice and its way better.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
It might not help but check out the two story videos in the "extras" section - it gives you some context to gears in general, and Kait's story from 4 in particular.

They're only 5 minutes long or so
Thanks, I'll watch those.
I watched some YouTube videos and now I have more of a clue as to what's going on as well.

I finished the campaign just now and overall I'd say I enjoyed the game, although the final act felt a bit.. I dunno, just strangely paced and the final boss felt like a sudden end. I didn't expect it to end there.
It did manage to surprise me with a certain choice you had to make. Don't know if earlier Gears games had that, but if they did I certainly didn't know about it.
The joke with bumping into the solider also managed to crack me up lol

Something I will say that really pissed me off, and for some reason it was more noticeable in acts 3 & 4 is there's, to my knowledge, no way to know where you can jump off of or climb and what's an invisible wall and it really fucked me in the battles. The core concept of this franchise never is so set in stone so you'd think that's something they would have figured out by now but they never communicate this to player.
Also had quite a few cases where I was shooting at enemies and the bullets or whatever would hit something that was near my cover instead of hitting enemies, when it clearly shouldn't have happened.

I can't say I'm eager to play previous Gears titles but this was a fun distraction for a few days, I'm kinda curious if they try to innovate more with the next title.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
Matriarch fight: be still, be quiet, tag the boss at all times so red mist doesn't totally hide it. I did it solo after a few goes. Active reload retro in the back, boom. It's not the best but genuinely didn't struggle too much.

I have now mastered the melee combo. It's very simple but some how it adds a lot to the game for me.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never died this much in a Gears game on any boss on normal difficulty. The fact that it crashed and I have to do this shit again just adds salt in the wound (which is ironic cause I just accidentally cut my thump on a razor getting a new blade for a shaver is literally what I felt in my mind, taking a brief break from the fight).

It doesn't help also that there's like not much room to work in the fight and I keep getting stuck on the ice when trying to quickly run behind it. I swear if I hear katttiieeeee one more time Im gonna become this Berserker.

I switched to the shotgun though on your advice and its way better.

Man, that sucks. After I finished the fight I was thinking the entire time "Please don't crash, if I have to do this again I'll riot." Glad the Gnasher suggestion helped though.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't really have problems with the Matriarch? You can just stand near the ice where he kills the dude and shatter it over and over again. When the mist comes you are already there so just shatter the ice and when he comes running he'll fall into it and the mist will be over.

I did kill him and got past the cut-scenes at the start of Act 3 and when I came back to the game (after shutting it down there) it didn't save for some reason and I had to kill him again.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really have problems with the Matriarch? You can just stand near the ice where he kills the dude and shatter it over and over again. When the mist comes you are already there so just shatter the ice and when he comes running he'll fall into it and the mist will be over.

I did kill him and got past the cut-scenes at the start of Act 3 and when I came back to the game (after shutting it down there) it didn't save for some reason and I had to kill him again.

You're just the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Matriarch fight: be still, be quiet, tag the boss at all times so red mist doesn't totally hide it. I did it solo after a few goes. Active reload retro in the back, boom. It's not the best but genuinely didn't struggle too much.

I have now mastered the melee combo. It's very simple but some how it adds a lot to the game for me.
How do you add tags? This has been bothering me has I can't remember it and is the melee combo where you pull them from cover and instant kill them? Cause I suck at that.
Man, that sucks. After I finished the fight I was thinking the entire time "Please don't crash, if I have to do this again I'll riot." Glad the Gnasher suggestion helped though.

Yeah I finally killed it "again" and made it safely to act 3 in one piece.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Why, though? We've already played that how many times now? Two? Three? No, thanks.
because it was more fun than what we got.

Its not like this battle was oozing with originality. How many times have we had to spam a bosses weakspot?

I think trying to mix the ice mechanic into a bossfight was a novel idea, but it didn't make for a good Berserker fight.

I also think it would have been better narratively if Kait's link wasnt disconnected in the second act.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I died a bajillion Times on the fuckin Act 2 Snatcher fight. On experienced it's just deadly. Auto aim one hit down needles. Your AI is always going down and getting captured. Swarms of juvvies constantly spawning. You gotta find a way to get as much torque now and boomshot as you can while baby sitting an AI partner and fighting juvies

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
I'll echo others, the Matriarch fight is horrible. If they decide to include more of those going forward, they need to rethink location, weapons availablity and player enjoyment.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
... Thanks.
I was just detailing how I dealt with him, what's with the passive aggressive response?

Because after multiple people say they hated a fight and had issue with it having someone reply "I didn't really have any problems with it?" is just bragging. You can detail how you did it without throwing in "it was ez".

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
The fight was fine if not repetitive, but we're just going with open spoilers now? Damn I need to hurry up and finish.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Welp that Drdisrespect steam was something else. 2 hours trying to turn off notifications. Then stating that the movement in the game was "limiting"...... Its kind of weird MS didn't do the level of sponsored streams like Ubisoft (breakpoint is a whole another story)

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
Welp that Drdisrespect steam was something else. 2 hours trying to turn off notifications. Then stating that the movement in the game was "limiting"...... Its kind of weird MS didn't do the level of sponsored streams like Ubisoft (breakpoint is a whole another story)
Even though I disagree it was really funny, but ironically the games these streamers play are limiting. It's all battle royales he plays. Apex, blackout, pubg and fortnite. No one should be surprised

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
because it was more fun than what we got.

Its not like this battle was oozing with originality. How many times have we had to spam a bosses weakspot?

I think trying to mix the ice mechanic into a bossfight was a novel idea, but it didn't make for a good Berserker fight.

I also think it would have been better narratively if Kait's link wasnt disconnected in the second act.

I thought that this boss fight was a lot of fun, and I preferred it to the indoor Berserker fight. The outdoor Berserker was close.

It did involve a lot of repetition, that much is true. I presume that they made it so because mechanically it's pretty simple once you figure out what to do, so repetition is there to increase the possibility of mistakes.

Last edited:

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Because after multiple people say they hated a fight and had issue with it having someone reply "I didn't really have any problems with it?" is just bragging. You can detail how you did it without throwing in "it was ez".
I literally saw 2 or 3 posts above speaking about the Matriarch and you speaking about breaking the ice and decided to chime in as well to help.
I don't read this thread regularly and didn't realize this was known as a problematic boss fight.

Not sure why you'd think saying 'I didn't have a problem with it' is equivalent to 'it was ez' but sure, whatever.
I was playing on normal (intermediate?) and died plenty of times in non boss fights, if that's helps.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I thought that this boss fight was a lot of fun, and I preferred it to the indoor Berserker fight. The outdoor Berserker was close.

It did involve a lot of repetition, that much is true. I presume that they made it so because mechanically it's pretty simple once you figure out what to do, so repetition is there to increase the possibility of mistakes.

Fair enough.

On another note, I thought my initial post was in the spoiler thread. You care to tag our convo so we don't ruin it for someone.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Even though I disagree it was really funny, but ironically the games these streamers play are limiting. It's all battle royales he plays. Apex, blackout, pubg and fortnite. No one should be surprised
I just thought a great shooter will be a good change of pace. Streamers say we want a new game. New game comes with great reviews...and that happens. Wait till he gets to halo mcc now that's limiting 😂 (Halo 5 mp is goat)