• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

idioteque

Nov 8, 2017
The Matriarch boss fight is probably one of the worst boss fights in Gears history. I was really digging the game but the amount of times ive died because I was caught on an invisible wall around the ice is staggering. Not to mention it takes eons to get behind her when she is forzen, and what weapons do they leave you? The retro which kicks like a mule and a sniper rifle... In a close quarters fight. Trying to do this solo is painful. Oh let's not forget to blind the player in red connection mist. Are the later bosses harder than this?

I actually quite enjoyed it. For me, it was the hardest moment in the game and everything else was relatively easy. I think I spent about an hour on that battle. Was expecting the bosses of Act 3 and Act 4 to be of similar difficulty but they weren't. Was disappointing.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
How do you add tags? This has been bothering me has I can't remember it and is the melee combo where you pull them from cover and instant kill them? Cause I suck at that.

Click LS on pad.

The combo is just direct melee - not the cover kill. Tap, tap, hold. It swipes the knife twice and then sometimes kicks, sometimes hits the enemy with the butt of your gun, leaving it exposed to an insta-kill.

Oct 25, 2017
I actually quite enjoyed it. For me, it was the hardest moment in the game and everything else was relatively easy. I think I spent about an hour on that battle. Was expecting the bosses of Act 3 and Act 4 to be of similar difficulty but they weren't. Was disappointing.
Gears 5 has been surprisingly quite challenging on normal, its never pushed back this much since the first game. Only parts that annoyed me were the mine entrance and this infuriating mess of a fight. I can usually just power through Gears campaigns in 2 days so the challenge isn't bad of course but its random difficulty spikes are odd especially considering the bosses of act 3 and 4 are less challenging as you stated. So why the fuck did this damn Beserker push back so much? I beat twice now so I guess I claim double victory!

Click LS on pad.

The combo is just direct melee - not the cover kill. Tap, tap, hold. It swipes the knife twice and then sometimes kicks, sometimes hits the enemy with the butt of your gun, leaving it exposed to an insta-kill.
Thanks for telling me this, I gotta try this combo out.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Matriarch was frustrating, because I got caught on ice while running away. I think of the ice pillars were a bit more sparse, I would have gotten it in 2. I think I did 3 or 4 times total (about 30 minutes). I liked the mechanics of the fight, and the boss got just a bit more varied as you went on. I WOULD NOT want that fight to be mechanically more difficult though. It's which to keep track of, and I don't want the core action to keep changing. Wish Jack's abilities helped a bit more, especially on lower difficulties, just to get a breather.

The mist never bothered me because I knew to seek out ice whenever it came. Overall, Act 2 had the biggest story implications, but I think the other 3 acts were actually the more engaging and meaningful, including the boss fights. Really liked it from start to finish, even in moments of frustration and a few very annoying glitches

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
kinda confused about "Mastered Hives" does this mean completing it on the highest difficulty? (all 7 modifiers)

I haven't seen a straight answer for this, but in all my searching I'm pretty confident that yes. While I think I can get there eventually, I'm not a fan of the Hive Master I, where you have to master all challenge hives. That means it's time locked, and we'll have to master the current challenge by next Monday or we're locked from this medal forever.

Unless they re-run them later? Idk. Not a fan though.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Matriarch was frustrating, because I got caught on ice while running away. I think of the ice pillars were a bit more sparse, I would have gotten it in 2. I think I did 3 or 4 times total (about 30 minutes). I liked the mechanics of the fight, and the boss got just a bit more varied as you went on. I WOULD NOT want that fight to be mechanically more difficult though. It's which to keep track of, and I don't want the core action to keep changing. Wish Jack's abilities helped a bit more, especially on lower difficulties, just to get a breather.

The mist never bothered me because I knew to seek out ice whenever it came. Overall, Act 2 had the biggest story implications, but I think the other 3 acts were actually the more engaging and meaningful, including the boss fights. Really liked it from start to finish, even in moments of frustration and a few very annoying glitches

I'm getting rather annoyed with this boss. The spine throwing is just unavoidable afaict, which really makes me feel like it's blind luck whether I've got stim available, rather than skill in avoiding.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Got to Act 3 yesterday. That Matriarch boss... damn that took awhile. Few times I'd think i had it and then it would come from the side during the mist or I'd shoot the ice too close to myself and fall in. Add in the A.I. partner doesn't do shit and there was around 40 min it took to finally beat it. Really dug act 2 as a whole though. Exploring the area was a lot more fun than i anticipated. Will start Act 3 later today.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm getting rather annoyed with this boss. The spine throwing is just unavoidable afaict, which really makes me feel like it's blind luck whether I've got stim available, rather than skill in avoiding.

Using Cloak seemed to help with avoiding the projectile attack. Also Flash Freeze was able to force a damage phase in a pinch. Took me two tries on Experienced, first time I died because I backrolled into a hole in the ice.

But yeah, for anyone struggling I would recommend Cloak to de-aggro the ranged attacks and Flash with the ultimate upgrade to get some free damage.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Anyone else having a weird issue on pc with characters faces flashing white during cutscenes? Takes away from these amazing looking cinematics :(

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Please put more power into the fabricator when there is a Del on the team :D

As a Del player there are some rounds where the other players seem to horde the power for themswlves rather than put it in so shit can be built.

Its much easier to get to wave 50 if there's lots of sentrys and barricades up.

What does everyone else think?

Oct 25, 2017
Uh, sorry if this seems a bit random, but does anyone has the link to that Gears 4 blog post about animation and why they didn't change much of the cover's animations and etc?

Shrennin

Oct 25, 2017

As a Del player there are some rounds where the other players seem to horde the power for themswlves rather than put it in so shit can be built.

I think using power to level up your character (like health boost) was not as well thought out as it could have been. That's what causes power to be limited for fortifications.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I think using power to level up your character (like health boost) was not as well thought out as it could have been. That's what causes power to be limited for fortifications.

Yeah 1000 for the the first upgrade then a thousand or two on top of that for the next ones seems a bit steep. Hopefully they make it a bit friendlier.

Oct 29, 2017

100% agree, I've been maining Del and nobody else wants to deposit power. Although, it did take me a minute in my first game to realize that you have to deposit power with a button press now, you can't just bump the Fabricator like in 4. So maybe people just need to get the hang of the new setup.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
The lighting in this one One X is just sublime. It's making me question if we really ever need raytracing.

The Coalition really turned it around on this one (Gears 4=meh)

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a straight answer for this, but in all my searching I'm pretty confident that yes. While I think I can get there eventually, I'm not a fan of the Hive Master I, where you have to master all challenge hives. That means it's time locked, and we'll have to master the current challenge by next Monday or we're locked from this medal forever.

Unless they re-run them later? Idk. Not a fan though.
the Tour lasts 3 months.

it says 5 days right now but that's a bug/mistake

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
100% agree, I've been maining Del and nobody else wants to deposit power. Although, it did take me a minute in my first game to realize that you have to deposit power with a button press now, you can't just bump the Fabricator like in 4. So maybe people just need to get the hang of the new setup.

Yeah theres a few small touches like that that makes it a bit more frantic.
I like how it makes it more strategic, in 4 it was much easier to build up an army of turrets i can see how they wanted to steer ppl away from that a bit.

I know theres Del, i think there might be a few others that can build but havent looked past him and Jack yet. Which other characters can build?

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Yeah theres a few small touches like that that makes it a bit more frantic.
I like how it makes it more strategic, in 4 it was much easier to build up an army of turrets i can see how they wanted to steer ppl away from that a bit.

I know theres Del, i think there might be a few others that can build but havent looked past him and Jack yet. Which other characters can build?

Honestly, TC needs to change that. The incentives of stronger weapons, more health, etc. is too strong so no one wants to deposit power into the fabricator. They should force 30-50% of power earned to the fabricator automatically.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big noob in this game (and mp shooters in general) so I feel proud for this, even though I know that I cold improve lots of things from this clip

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Matriarch boss fight is probably one of the worst boss fights in Gears history. I was really digging the game but the amount of times ive died because I was caught on an invisible wall around the ice is staggering. Not to mention it takes eons to get behind her when she is forzen, and what weapons do they leave you? The retro which kicks like a mule and a sniper rifle... In a close quarters fight. Trying to do this solo is painful. Oh let's not forget to blind the player in red connection mist. Are the later bosses harder than this?
Huh? Just shoot the ice and run to the opposite side and it falls through every single time?

Maybe I've encountered a Beserker one too many times but I didn't die once, it was way too easy.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well last night and all of today i managed to play through the full campaign with no side quests and I absolutely loved it, beautiful word, beautiful cinematics, beautiful music and a beautiful story :)

I really loved how the game ramps up through the acts and it drops classic feel moments to it.

Another 3 years to wait now until Gears 6 but dam what a ride :)

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just shoot the ice, run to the other side, it gets frozen, run to opposite side shoot the back and rinse and repeat.

I did it first attempt by doing that

Ex2x

Jun 24, 2019
Just finished the campaign on insane and no achievement. I don't really care that much about achievements but it's still disappointing.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Just finished the campaign on insane and no achievement. I don't really care that much about achievements but it's still disappointing.
Yeah people have been saying check your completion on each chapter, but I checked mine and they are all showing complete yet no achievement. It's a bummer.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
If I've had a standard console only Game Pass subscription in the past, am I ineligible for the 2 months GP Ultimate for £2 deal? Would I not be considered a new customer in that case even if I've never had Ultimate?

Just double checking before going with the 1 month for £1 deal which is all I'm seeing.

SirThou

Oct 27, 2017
the Tour lasts 3 months.

it says 5 days right now but that's a bug/mistake

Sorry, wasn't clear. There is a specific medal under Escape that is "Master all Challenge Hives". I believe the Challenge Hives rotate every week. That's the time limit I'm concerned about.

The rest I'm pretty confident can be done through the whole tour.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta

I think people should do at least 2 or 3 levels of their favorite perks, but after that the benefits get so little per upgrade that giving to the team is better.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Honestly, TC needs to change that. The incentives of stronger weapons, more health, etc. is too strong so no one wants to deposit power into the fabricator. They should force 30-50% of power earned to the fabricator automatically.

Yeah changes wont be too far off!
Way too many things are needed for power.
Maybe they could change the way the power taps work, give people that protect or light them get an upgrade point or something instead.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I just saw this posted on the Gears 5 forum. There's no date tied to it, though. I hope it gets fixed, 'cause I'm missing 2 Chapters in Act 2 on Insane myself.

Update: 5:45pm PT
We have been gathering reports from some players missing collectibles and chapter progression, including related achievement progress. We have a plan to target resolving this and work is underway. We'll keep you apprised of any updates.

Dixie Flatline

alt account
Banned
Sep 4, 2019
New Orleans
Yeah changes wont be too far off!
Way too many things are needed for power.
Maybe they could change the way the power taps work, give people that protect or light them get an upgrade point or something instead.

Or don't have upgrades cost power. Maybe they get one upgrade point a turn and they can use or save those points for the upgrades. Regardless, upgrades costing power is breaking the point of the fabricator.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, wasn't clear. There is a specific medal under Escape that is "Master all Challenge Hives". I believe the Challenge Hives rotate every week. That's the time limit I'm concerned about.

The rest I'm pretty confident can be done through the whole tour.
ahh ok I see. i wonder if it's just going to be moved to the Past Hives section and still be available for completion.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm liking this game so far.

It would be nice to know what's going on in the story if Gears 2 and 3 was on PC>.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda feel the opposite, the perks difference is awful after lvl 6 that no reasonable person would spend that much for 1%. Most people just dump it in the fabricator after wave 30 for me but maybe I've been lucky.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if asked, but is there a secret to getting the health bars to appear over enemies? I have it enabled ON in the settings, but nothing is showing up? Same with damage numbers. Do I have to play further into the campaign?

Game is gorgeous though. Wow.