• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Anybody knows what happens with the 30 days-boost from the Ultimate Edition if you already have the boost from the Ultimate Game Pass? Will it be added?

Nov 8, 2017
Act 3, went to install the new Jack shield upgrade and suddenly Player 2 can't interact with shit and Jack's menu is not working for him. Says no upgrades, can't select the new one, so we're stuck there.

Apparently the new update broke this. Thanks, I hate it. Guess we aren't finishing the campaign until a new update comes. It better not wreck the whole save permanently.

It's super easy. Shoot the ice and use Jack's freeze.

If you stun lock it with flash and cryo-cannons it's not too hard but until we realized this me and my friend died maybe 20 times on that fight. We even died a couple of times after we "solved" it, because all it takes is one bad position or an unlucky charge attack when you're not expecting it and you've got to start the fight over. Proper dead, not even "downed". There's basically no good reason why it's got all those 1 hit kill attacks.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Nope. But you can still move, so I tend to set off towards, say, a power tap so that when the board goes, I am there ready to extract. Can even start the process before the board, keep X held down, and it will extract over the interim. Would be nice if the background didn't go dark, so one could almost freely navigate.

I see.

weird decision to not make it transparent or hideable though, how was nobody annoyed by that during play testing?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Act 1 and 2 have been incredible, but Act 3 is quite weak IMO. Only 3 main missions (2 of them in the same exact place), lots of boring sidequests, final boss is really disappointing and the open area feels empty and all places look the same. I think that 2 semi open-world chapters are too much, they should have introduced some linear hours in between.

agiantsheep

Oct 27, 2017
I see.

weird decision to not make it transparent or hideable though, how was nobody annoyed by that during play testing?

Everyone complained about it in Gears 4 as well, where you couldn't move at all as it tallied up each individual kill (which could go on for a looong time). I guess their solution is to just have you run around in the dark for 15 seconds bumping into everything.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
The issue is skill systems that take performance into account like this never really work well.

Halo Reach tried the same thing but more drastic and it sucked. The people who complain about solo queuing or bad teammates dragging them down are a vocal minority at best. Everyone else wants to play with their mates and rank up through wins alone.

These systems that take performance into account can and do work. The problem is that devs haven't found a way to communicate the info to players in away that is satisfying.

People want a linear progression displayed so that they can feel good about wins - even if their wins arent coming against progressively better opponents.

At the same time, people want to play against people who are similar to their skill level- which means stagnant linear progression if the player isn't actually improving.

I think devs should stop providing so much matchmaking information in game because players will never internalize it properly. They should simply display a linear progression based solely on win quality, and prior to each match, show each teams odds of winning. That's it.

If players want to know where their skill is relative to the rest of the players, they should have to check their profile where their skill percentile will be displayed. Don't show them the matchmaking points gained/lost after each match- just show them where the algorithm believes they compare to the rest of the population. That way, when their percentile goes down, even after wins - they can interpret it as other people have gotten better rather than assuming the system is broken.

Last edited:

Freezard

Oct 28, 2017
Act 3, went to install the new Jack shield upgrade and suddenly Player 2 can't interact with shit and Jack's menu is not working for him. Says no upgrades, can't select the new one, so we're stuck there.

Apparently the new update broke this. Thanks, I hate it. Guess we aren't finishing the campaign until a new update comes. It better not wreck the whole save permanently.

Same thing happened to us... but it worked when player 1 picked up the upgrade instead of player 2 who was bugged. Thank god we managed to beat it in the end, it's one of the buggiest games I've played.

Booker.DeWitt

Oct 25, 2017
What do we do with the scraps?? Also, where is the shop for skin? I only find a handful of skins and one character for purchase ?

Manixramz

Apr 4, 2018
Oh my act 3 opens with skiff, damn. Is act 3 also we navigate on skiff?

I always love level like this but felt burnout on act 2, I was hoping to get back to back action on act 3.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Oh my act 3 opens with skiff, damn. Is act 3 also we navigate on skiff?

I always love level like this but felt burnout on act 2, I was hoping to get back to back action on act 3.
Yep, and IMO is a worse overall act than 2. Only a few main missions, revisiting some areas more than I would like, areas look more samey than in 2... I think that the Skiff idea would have worked better for only Act 2, 3 is overkill in many senses and it kills the pacing.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Yep, and IMO is a worse overall act than 2. Only a few main missions, revisiting some areas more than I would like, areas look more samey than in 2... I think that the Skiff idea would have worked better for only Act 2, 3 is overkill in many senses and it kills the pacing.

Act 3 is quite possibly my favourite act. It gets just a bit long in the tooth near the end, but apart from that i really loved it.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I've been saying for a while that act 3 is the worst one by far. Gears 5 is actually super strong for the first 7 chapters up until the act 2 boss. Form there it goes downhill and then picks up for a little while in chapter 4 until you meet another terribly designed "boss" before the game just ends suddenly.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
In hindsight I think that the Escape trailer from E3 2019 was actually pretty cool. I remember being down on it at the time because I wanted to see campaign, but now that the game is out I can sort of see what they were going for.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Act 3 is quite possibly my favourite act. It gets just a bit long in the tooth near the end, but apart from that i really loved it.
I felt it was more of the same. Sidequests are like in Act 2, navigating the Skiff only gets slighty more interesting in the 2 storm sections, boss is really weak, revisiting the big rocket room is not that great either. I felt like they invested some time in both the Skiff and the snow tech and needed to re-use it, but it kills the pacing IMO. The lab sections in Act 2 are great, but abandoned dusty ruins are all you see in Act 3, it gets repetitive IMO.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Just finished my second playthrough, and it's still my GOTY, holy crap The Coalition really nailed so many things this time.

But they need to populate the open maps in Gears 6 somehow, the skiff is cool but it's not fun enough to ride around on empty maps.

This time I
On the other hand, I was almost heartbroken in the other ending when I saw Marcus reaction when he had lost his son, and if they can somehow use that emotional story arc to build something impactful in Gears 6 then that ending is alright as well.

Marcus's reaction got me in the feels, that's a first in a Gears game.

Well done TC.

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
I felt it was more of the same. Sidequests are like in Act 2, navigating the Skiff only gets slighty more interesting in the 2 storm sections, boss is really weak, revisiting the big rocket room is not that great either. I felt like they invested some time in both the Skiff and the snow tech and needed to re-use it, but it kills the pacing IMO. The lab sections in Act 2 are great, but abandoned dusty ruins are all you see in Act 3, it gets repetitive IMO.

Abandoned dusty ruins are definitely not all you see in act 3. I thought that there were more great encounters, and more things to explore than in the second act, which happens to be my least favourite part of the game. Also, fighting with a full squad and a more upgraded Jack is a lot more fun.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
In hindsight I think that the Escape trailer from E3 2019 was actually pretty cool. I remember being down on it at the time because I wanted to see campaign, but now that the game is out I can sort of see what they were going for.

I don't think the trailer did a great job highlighting the key intricacies of the mode. It's More engaging than they could portray in trailer format

Oct 26, 2017
This game is so friggin buggy.
I beast the game on insane. Said I only. Did 66% of it. Looked at the completed chapters.

"Incomplete: act 1, Chap 3, act 2 chap 2"
" Intermediate difficulty: act 1 Chap 4"

The fuck I played the whole thing on insane. The fuck is this nonsense. Buggy friggin game goitching.

Also, how do you want stuff for unlocks in multi? I've played a few rounds and got nothing.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Well I have finished the game. My initial thoughts in the single player:

-Graphics are something else, this is the best looking game (technically, I prefer the art of other games) I've ever played (PC version) and it performs really well.
-Gameplay is really good and feels like a good improvement over 4. New weapons are fine and combat scenarios are fund and varied.
-The exploration sections are not that good. Chapter 2 works really well but 3 gets boring fast because of this.
-I felt that the game has a lack of new enemy types.

Game starts really strong, chapter 1 and 2 are great, but the 2nd half is weaker. Chapter 4 is too short, I was happy to play a chapter with a gameplay progression and setting that made me remember Gears 1/2, but it's too short and ends in a sour note. Story overall didn't make me interested at all, but it's expected from a Gears game.

I'd liked the game a lot more if they had used the resources to create all the side content to make 1-2 more setpieces, compared to Gears 2 the game lacks more big cinematic moments.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
A decent sign of a good story to me when they can change my mind on a character.

Faz went from complete dickhead to really likeable imo

GearsERA discord server

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Alright, I got the GearsERA server set up.

Thanks to Cerium for giving me permission to post it occasionally in here! More features and stuff will be added in the coming days.
This is what the channel list looks like, so if none of this interests you, that's completely fine.
2eb43ceea35596a6b01075f6d2392f4b.png

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Did they patch the PC version? I haven't played since launch and I just came back to it and the stutters are basically gone.

zen1990x

Jul 1, 2019

If you stun lock it with flash and cryo-cannons it's not too hard but until we realized this me and my friend died maybe 20 times on that fight. We even died a couple of times after we "solved" it, because all it takes is one bad position or an unlucky charge attack when you're not expecting it and you've got to start the fight over. Proper dead, not even "downed". There's basically no good reason why it's got all those 1 hit kill attacks.
i had a glitch where i couldn't get off the jack upgrade menu and even triggering a cutscene and loading into another checkpoint doesn't fix it. ive encountered so many glitches already in the campaign and i have only started act 2 lol.
I

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
The Boss some people were raging about wasn't that bad (chapter 2 final boss).

I'll try to keep this spoiler free. Just follow these steps.

You just need a Shotgun and a Lancer.
Cloak and shock trap can help, but aren't necessary.

Shoot ice in front of you at all times with Lancer. Keep ice ahead of you open wherever you are.

Roll from spike throws. Roll if spiked after removing if enemy jumps. If enemy charges, it should fall in the ice that you should (as I said earlier) have open in front of you. During thick "mist/smoke" simply shoot ice in front of you.

Evey time enemy frozen, switch to shotgun and shoot back.

Rinse and repeat.

Easy

(One more hint, don't stand too close to enemy back when they break free from open ice..stand close on land while frozen if possible)

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm shocked that I haven't seen any of these bugs I'm hearing about. Is it regional?

My collectibles and progression are fine, even on the occasion the game has popped up to notify me I'm not connected (presumably because of the server issues) I've not been kicked out or lost any progress.

Even game bugs I've not seen any that I can recall. The only thing I thought was a bug was not being able to climb the ladder out of the hole on the grind lift side mission, but found out it was because I hadn't actually finished the mission...

LetalisAmare

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it and I very much enjoyed it but its not without its issues. The hub worlds while a nice idea dont give you anything interesting to explore or do in them. The first two acts are great and the ones after those dont really stack up, not to say they're bad because they're not. Solid 8/10 for me and a really good base to start from for the next title.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Slicer Dyster Could you please threadmark EvilChameleon's post about the discord? Thanks!
Alright, I got the GearsERA server set up.

Thanks to Cerium for giving me permission to post it occasionally in here! More features and stuff will be added in the coming days.
This is what the channel list looks like, so if none of this interests you, that's completely fine

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Boss some people were raging about wasn't that bad (chapter 2 final boss).

I'll try to keep this spoiler free. Just follow these steps.

You just need a Shotgun and a Lancer.
Cloak and shock trap can help, but aren't necessary.

Shoot ice in front of you at all times with Lancer. Keep ice ahead of you open wherever you are.

Roll from spike throws. Roll if spiked after removing if enemy jumps. If enemy charges, it should fall in the ice that you should (as I said earlier) have open in front of you. During thick "mist/smoke" simply shoot ice in front of you.

Evey time enemy frozen, switch to shotgun and shoot back.

Rinse and repeat.

Easy

(One more hint, don't stand too close to enemy back when they break free from open ice..stand close on land while frozen if possible)

That's fine until it starts jumping and avoiding the ice entirely. Then it gets tricky.

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
That's fine until it starts jumping and avoiding the ice entirely. Then it gets tricky.

It only jumps out onto land but never stays on it, all you have to do is run to and stand on closest ice to it and shoot ice in front of you.

Don't fear the spike throws. The only deaths I had were because I screwed up the simple pattern.

Only took a couple deaths and I had it figured out.

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Oh shit...I forgot this game was coming out this week. Reviews are really good, it will be definitely be one of my Black Friday picks.

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

i just played that part last tine, literally

so i dont think it is "broken"

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
just finished the game. Really enjoyed the ride. Act 3 dragged badly and made the pace drag imo

Also - I didn't get any achievement for finishing the game. Not a massive deal but a bit of a bummer

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Fuck this bullshit sometimes man. As if the snatcher wasn't bad enough with his shots that instantly down you, they throw these fucking juvies at you too. Too much man and very annoying. I hated these parts in the Metro games too. They put you in this room and these assholes keep coming at you, sigh.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I can't/won't name a favorite Act, but I loved Act 3. I loved the color palette, the enemy encounters were brilliant in their design, and the skiff parts were awesome in how the landscape helped differentiate the ride from the previous Act's.

On Insane, the enemy variations really stuck out. I appreciated the enemy wave designs and found the major story mission waves to be superb. For example, The Warden in a super enclosed hallway with nowhere to run, battling enemies from the crane during the completion of the rocket, the whole centrifuge encounter, and, of course, the mad dash to drop the drawbridge.

The sandstorm race from the rocket storage building to the drawbridge was super exciting! One wrong move on Insane was insta-death, so, when I did my successful run back through the storm, I was exhilarated and elated at how excellently I managed to bob and weave through the tornado spouts. Of course, it took many tries, learning what was in store and how the spouts got generated, but once I had that down the rest was all on how well I could control the skiff.

Act 3, to sum it up for me, was when Gears 5 turned the dial to 11 and I loved it!

I also don't feel the same way as some about Act 3's boss. I felt it was a perfect crescendo to an Act that consistently one-upped itself throughout.

I've been gaming for over 3 decades and Gears 5, in the manner of it being an action game, is easily among the best, in my opinion. The excitement, adrenaline rush, design, and set pieces were excellently executed and it retained its fun-factor throughout. I don't see how The Coalition will top this, but I have no doubt that they most certainly will in Gears 6.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Those fucking juvies man underground in act 2 with that snatcher. Is it me or do they throw more and more of these assholes at you the more you hurt the snatcher?

Also, bit of advice how to end a snatcher reasonably quickly? I have several things thanks to Jack like the shield and even the freeze ability. If it starts to ruin my fun I will lower it from experienced.

I did play it all day, so perhaps it's time for a real break.