• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I finished the campaign around a week ago and I've been thinking about what the general consensus is on the skiff/ open area segments of the game.

I see a lot of people saying it kills the games pacing and while I see why they would say that, I personally think the skiff and bigger map actually adds a little gameplay diversity by adding exploration and side quests. Sure the world is barren (abiet gorgeous) but the map is small enough and you get around fast enough that it never felt dull to me.

For me it made the pacing better as it wasn't always point A to point B while shooting mobs like Gears has tradionally been. I do agree they could have maybe tried to make the open areas a little more interesting in terms of interaction and things to see but overall I don't think it was a detriment to the campaigns pacing.
I love the change of pace. Feels great after just finishing up 4 over the weekend. Hunting down compounds and relic weapons is fun.

Not a fan of them taking all of your relic weapons at the end of act 2, though. I didn't even get to fire a single shot from the Boltok before it was stripped from my inventory in a cutscenes. Would've been really nice to take those into act 3. Now I just have a relic markza, which is worthless. Why give us a cool collectible if you're just going to strip them away without warning? This and the awful boss in act 2 have really bummed me out. I thought this was going to be GOTY material up to that point.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus. Doing the mine mission and the AI has gone stupid. Del is either MIA somewhere or running way ahead into my and everybody else's line of fire. Then Jack just rushes forward with the payload so they can get free shots on it all day.

Last edited:

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jesus. Doing the mine mission and the AI has gone stupid. Del is either MIA somewhere or running way ahead into my and everybody else's line of fire. Then Jack just rushes forward with the payload so they can get free shots on it all day.
I had these two videos uploading while you made this post. That section is really terrible to play solo. An upcoming boss fight is even worse. Del spent the entire fight running around with a pipe. Literally never shot the boss. Took me over a dozen attempts to beat it (playing on hardcore difficulty).

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
I just had my first negative experience with Escape, the 2 idiots I was playing with completely clueless, not reviving, running off and worst of all they picked up every piece of ammo meaning for almost the entire match I had no ammo. After we wiped for the 4th time near the door I just quit.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
I just had my first negative experience with Escape, the 2 idiots I was playing with completely clueless, not reviving, running off and worst of all they picked up every piece of ammo meaning for almost the entire match I had no ammo. After we wiped for the 4th time near the door I just quit.

First time? I've get that every other game that gets match made, its incredibly frustrating playing with stupid players that are greedy with ammo and go their own route.

But slowly making more friends I can speak to on chat and enjoy the game properly with.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I finally beat the campaign tonight. I love Gears, but this felt like a 7.5-8/10 for me. Act III in particular really brought down the experience.

However... The HDR in this game is incredible and the gunplay feels super responsive.

I wish I liked it more, but I'm not sure if I'll replay it until Gears 6 is right around the corner.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I had these two videos uploading while you made this post. That section is really terrible to play solo. An upcoming boss fight is even worse. Del spent the entire fight running around with a pipe. Literally never shot the boss. Took me over a dozen attempts to beat it (playing on hardcore difficulty).

Exactly this. I ended up just hanging back far enough to keep my AI in cover and draw theirs out.

Yeah boss fight was bad. Every time it froze it was at the worst angle. AI was unhelpful and predetermined cinematic made it frustrating.

Definitely needs some polish in this regard.

Deleted member 28461

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Exactly this. I ended up just hanging back far enough to keep my AI in cover and draw theirs out.
I was fortunate enough to have to boomshot relic on me, so I just dumped on the scion as quickly as possible after hitting the active reload. I was pretty frustrated by the time I got through it. Del got stuck in that same spot almost every time. When he didn't, he actively fucked me over. Running right in front of me when I tried to take out the juvies, getting in my way when I tried to avoid getting fucked up by the scion. That clip is probably my 5th or 6th attempting that short section.

The boss fight, though. I was genuinely pissed off at that point. I'm getting killed in a single hit over and over, and Del is running around with a pipe like an asshole. Boss's health bar goes down so slowly you know it's balanced for 2 people to be dumping on him, but no matter how many times I marked him as a target Del just wouldn't contribute. I don't remember the other Gears games having AI partners this rough. I don't expect them to be murder machines, but this is the first time I've felt like the companion is actively working against me.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
First time? I've get that every other game that gets match made, its incredibly frustrating playing with stupid players that are greedy with ammo and go their own route.

But slowly making more friends I can speak to on chat and enjoy the game properly with.

It was only my 6th time doing it I think? So maybe I just haven't done enough lol

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's usually what happens in Escape for me. It's annoying as hell when people are swiping the ammo to EVERYTHING so you still literally only have a pistol.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Atleast for Escape it gets more consistent at higher difficulties, higher level equals better player. But then you get level 5s queueing for insane for some reason that get curb stomped by Scion within a minute.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
ranked is very quick and full. Maybe arcade doesn't have as big of a player base as ranked, not sure tho

I tend to play Arcade mostly and it's quick finding matches for me. Ranked is still a little too fast paced for me but I'm getting slightly better, I did 2 ranked matches and while I was last in kills at least I still had quite a few.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
I tend to play Arcade mostly and it's quick finding matches for me. Ranked is still a little too fast paced for me but I'm getting slightly better, I did 2 ranked matches and while I was last in kills at least I still had quite a few.

Im loving ranked but it can get very sweaty. A KOTH match can end up being like 25-30 mins. When I get pissed at my team I go back to arcade quick play.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019

well tbh the game doesn't tell you anything when starting up that mode for the first time

I was running around just as cluelessly. wouldnt call everyone who doesnt know the game an idiot right away....

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
well tbh the game doesn't tell you anything when starting up that mode for the first time

I was running around just as cluelessly. wouldnt call everyone who doesnt know the game an idiot right away....

Fair enough, although they were level 5 or 6 so at that point I figure you should have a general idea of how the mode works. This was also on Experience difficulty too. Although not rezzing a teammate isn't really excusable IMO even as a noob.

This here I was taking ammo and had no idea it was shared with others. They def need to make a tutorial

The first time I did Escape I wasn't sure if the ammo was instanced for everyone so in the first safe room I waited for my team mate to grab it and saw it disappear so I knew it was shared.

EDIT: I did get a funny achievement in my next round of Escape, I thought everyone had to take their own decontamination shower in the first room but my teammates all piled into mine. My character made a comment about it and I got an achievement for it called "Pass The Soap". I thought it was funny.

Last edited:

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I think Gears 5 is not for me. Are these open world segments new? Because they are offensively dull and completely disrupt the pace of the game to the point that I am really struggling to keep playing.

aznpxdd

Oct 25, 2017
FYI if Del is being a dumbass and only using a pipe, you can trade your weapons with him to make him do some work. But yeah, the end of Act 2 was pretty bullshit with an AI.

Equip either flash freeze or pulse really helps out with the fight. Pulse lets you see the boss when you go blind and the +20% damage helps a lot when playing solo.

Navidson REC

Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, those pipe moments are hilarious until they are infuriating but, reminder: you can trade weapons with him. Give him a boomshot or something and make your life easier.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I finished the campaign around a week ago and I've been thinking about what the general consensus is on the skiff/ open area segments of the game.

I see a lot of people saying it kills the games pacing and while I see why they would say that, I personally think the skiff and bigger map actually adds a little gameplay diversity by adding exploration and side quests. Sure the world is barren (abiet gorgeous) but the map is small enough and you get around fast enough that it never felt dull to me.

For me it made the pacing better as it wasn't always point A to point B while shooting mobs like Gears has tradionally been. I do agree they could have maybe tried to make the open areas a little more interesting in terms of interaction and things to see but overall I don't think it was a detriment to the campaigns pacing.
I think the skiff should've only been ACT 2 and there should've been more of a point to it. It felt dead so it would've been nice to see "random events" take place or have patrolling enemies and have a god damn weapon to shoot for the passenger seat.

I was fine with what we got but then it basically repeated itself in ACT 3 except it was a boring desert with some cool weather effects that got old quick.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I finally get a 1% on the gauntlet but it doesn't save cause it's in the negative is really frustrating

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Gotta stop playing with randos. Losing over and over because of garbage teams stinks. I'm no pro player, but I can hold my own.TThe algorithm is a bit odd.

I was in a match where someone had the hammer and wouldn't use it. They ran up to the enemy team for a quint, and ran away. Infuriating.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of, I still have no idea how Escalation works.
Best 7 of 13 rounds to win. At the start of the match, there are no item placements. With every round, you can place a weapon pickup (winning team picks first, then losing team picks). Weapon pickups can be upgraded to more substantial power weapon pickups (i.e., frags can become a Boomshot). You can also upgrade the cooldown on a weapon, cutting its respawn time in half, or making an opponent's weapon placement unusable for three rounds. After 6 rounds, the objective locations swap from points A, B, and C to points D, E, and F.

Essentially, it's called Escalation because matches escalate over time. With more weaponry on the map with each successive round, the chaos eventually reaches an apex, until both teams have settled on what they want and/or need, and start to either make their own weaponry more easily accessible, or render the opposing team's weaponry inaccessible.

King Picollo

Oct 28, 2017
Anyone else playing Coop campaign since the last patch have sound issues. The friend i usually play with can no longer here the in game noises and speech just the music.

Seems really weird.

I also appreciate the fact they still haven't fixed the bug with bluetooth headsets that makes the sound cut in and out all the time.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
8nY0P0b.jpg

What does this cog mean on social? Some friends have it, some don't. Doesn't matter if they have played gears or not. It's not reup.

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Playing on Insane just highlights how poorly designed the Relic guns are. They're classed as their own so weapon you're basically out of ammo 90% of the time if you're using one that only refills with red boxes. You can't drop them if they have no ammo because they'll disappear so you end up having it take up a slot doing nothing. How finding and trying to use "rare" weapons on the hardest difficulty become a liability makes no sense.

Almost every post from you is negative. Maybe this game isn't for you.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I held on to my Relic weapons as long as I could, but yea, eventually you just have to part ways.

Munki

Apr 30, 2019

Just getting through this section now, at the big boss (which doesn't seem to be to bad, pretty predictable pattern). But i'm scared that the game will be a grind the rest of the way as I also am playing solo, the last 3-4 encounters have been a bitch to get through.

Last edited:

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I was fortunate enough to have to boomshot relic on me, so I just dumped on the scion as quickly as possible after hitting the active reload. I was pretty frustrated by the time I got through it. Del got stuck in that same spot almost every time. When he didn't, he actively fucked me over. Running right in front of me when I tried to take out the juvies, getting in my way when I tried to avoid getting fucked up by the scion. That clip is probably my 5th or 6th attempting that short section.

The boss fight, though. I was genuinely pissed off at that point. I'm getting killed in a single hit over and over, and Del is running around with a pipe like an asshole. Boss's health bar goes down so slowly you know it's balanced for 2 people to be dumping on him, but no matter how many times I marked him as a target Del just wouldn't contribute. I don't remember the other Gears games having AI partners this rough. I don't expect them to be murder machines, but this is the first time I've felt like the companion is actively working against me.

AI hasn't been great, but this section was pretty terrible. When I played through 4 recently, I was surprised how much the AI was helping. Sometimes they handled encounters almost without me.

Last edited:

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
What does this cog mean on social? Some friends have it, some don't. Doesn't matter if they have played gears or not. It's not reup.

That's where the ranks appear.

When I'm the party leader and I have 5 in my squad, I hover over each ranked playlist to see what rank they are in that playlist. In your screenshot, it looks like that's the symbol for someone who has yet to play their 5 placement matches.

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
Seriously, who designed this mess of a uix?

Can't do anything in between matches,pretty much just watch loading screen. You also have little time to vote or look at your match points. And, you can't see the score board. Just had a match full of mics, we wanted to party up and there was no way. (recent players list is also broken currently on dash).

Gibbs

Oct 25, 2017
West Virginia
I have a Walmart Exclusive Rockstar Swarm Lancer Skin to give away if someone wants it. I gave away one on Reddit and I still have one code left. If you want the lancer and will actually use it online then I'll gladly PM the code to whoever.

I'd prefer if someone outside the US claims it since they can't get it unless they would purchase a code off a secondhand site like ebay, etc.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
I have a Walmart Exclusive Rockstar Swarm Lancer Skin to give away if someone wants it. I gave away one on Reddit and I still have one code left. If you want the lancer and will actually use it online then I'll gladly PM the code to whoever.

I'd prefer if someone outside the US claims it since they can't get it unless they would purchase a code off a secondhand site like ebay, etc.

I'll take it please I'm outside the US