• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Double star boosts seem to be every Saturday now as long as you have boost available to you, and the first event playlist is Arcade Double Trouble, where skulls are doubled.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
". We're currently concepting ways to have the blood spray appear on the kill screen of an opponent after they have been executed "

Awesome - that's how these things should have worked Day 1.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I was expecting a new character today

Double star boost is a cool feature though, will make reaching General more bearable

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
My man

EFzyHpMXUAEYQqA

Liquid Snake

Nov 10, 2017
Matchmaking is worse than I've ever seen it right now. Literally can't find a Horde match with more than 1 other player, regardless of which difficulty I select. I think they messed something up with the update.

KiLLaDeZo

Banned
Mar 27, 2018
For the love of god add some damn multiplayer maps... WTF is going on. There are 4 perfectly good maps from gears 4 available in custom games ... put them into rotation.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
This is what Rod thinks of everybody that is critical of them.

How dare we not blindly love and follow everything they do.

Also this is a big deal

Bullets literally auto aim to you at a certain distance in every mode but escalation or execution.

Okay first off, he liked that.

Secondly, this doesn't say that everyone that is critical is a toxic baby or whatever. There unquestionably are people like that in the community. The subreddit has very valid complaints but is also filled with toxic garbage opinions as well.

I don't understand why people think he's saying that's everyone in the community. There are a bunch of toxic jerks in a bunch of different communities, look at Youtube comments sections or twitter replies. They are almost unanimously awful across multiple different communities. Gears 5 really isn't any different. That doesn't mean that valid criticism doesn't exist.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Double Stars every Saturday huh? I bet they seen the trajectory of what the majority of players were going to end up at and realized they weren't going to make it.

EDIT: oh for fuck sake I'm still seeing a $10 character skin and $5 blood spray/expression. right in the blog post it says they looked at, and changed their pricing but it's still overpriced. none of this stuff should cost more than $3 except for maybe bundles.

EFz9fclXYAIgfML.jpg:large

Last edited:

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Double Stars every Saturday huh? I bet they seen the trajectory of what the majority of players were going to end up at and realized they weren't going to make it.

EDIT: oh for fuck sake I'm still seeing a $10 character skin and $5 blood spray/expression. right in the blog post it says they looked at, and changed their pricing but it's still overpriced. none of this stuff should cost more than $3 except for maybe bundles.

A $10 skin isn't something I'm interested, but it also doesn't seem egregiously bad compared to other games out there either. People (maybe not us, but more generally) don't seem to mind that price point.

ExtinguirX

Nov 22, 2018
After the update Medals won't show the stars anymore and are somewhat stuck
The ping issues for EU players in Ranked looks resolved, but only played a few matches. I'll try again today

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
Matchmaking is worse than I've ever seen it right now. Literally can't find a Horde match with more than 1 other player, regardless of which difficulty I select. I think they messed something up with the update.
Use custom lobbies. You'll get players that will stick around for all 50 waves.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2017
Finland
Kinda getting done with the game. Its fun when it works, but...

Horde has been kind of the thing that I relax with after work.

But people quitting or plain afking behind a cover. Afking is worse.

Occasionally I can't even find a match from neither of the Horde game... err... types in the menu to start the game. And, most often getting "you don't fit in!" on a game thats 3/5 or something.

wth people?

PS. The game has started to crash in the past few weeks.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Man this games campaign was pretty awesome, much much better than I had expected. Might be doing a disservice by comparing it's ski area with God of War's lake of nine but I am glad they nailed it.

Also which character decision is Canon for Gears 6 ?
And isn't Intermediate difficulty kinda easy.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
It would be good if we could see the re-up level of other people on the score board in a match, as well as just our own on the main menu.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
So did anyone campaign progress/collectibles come back? Its past the amount of time they said it would take to get it restored and I got nothing.
It won't even let me re-pick up collectibles the game says I'm missing but I know I actually picked up.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France

So, they had to wait until the update deployment to mention what fixes were planned. Communication isn't the strongest point of The Coalition, no wonder the community is not happy.

So did anyone campaign progress/collectibles come back? Its past the amount of time they said it would take to get it restored and I got nothing.
It won't even let me re-pick up collectibles the game says I'm missing but I know I actually picked up.

No. Still waiting for this fix to finish the Campaign. Frustrating.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how they could fuck up the re up system, considering that the one in Gears 4 worked well, is weird how TC is treating this game like it was they first time developing a game in the series

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I finished Campaign last night. On the whole, I quite liked it, but it's probably my 5th in ranking (for those curious: 3 > 2 > 4 > 1 > 5 > Judgment). I liked the story well enough. I thought Kait was a good protagonist and Laura did a great job. I ended up liking Fahz a lot, as I find him like if Baird was even more of a Jackass with a heart of gold.

I loved the moments for OG Delta Squad but I wish Sam had more to do. Seeing Judgment get acknowledged and even built upon was delightful. I really like that game's story. Presentation all around is top notch.

All this being said, the gameplay is where I am mixed. I absolutely adored Act I. In fact, I would go as far as to say it is the finest act in the franchise. Perfect pacing, energy, excitement. That Embry the Musical stage was so fun, funny and clever. I have similar praise for Act IV, which I feel nails the Original Gears Trilogy aesthetic and is exciting. The only issue I had was the
recycled boss fight
which was easier than before and less exciting than the end fights of Gears 4, 3 and 2. Still better than RAAM.

Acts II and III is where I start to differ in opinion. I was not too big on Act II. The environment was mostly the same looking, Del's AI left a lot to be desired, the issues with the game on Experienced and above (like the goddamn grenade balance) were exemplified, and the Matriarch was a cheap battle that tested my patience. That said, I liked the stealth elements and the first fight against the Warden alot. As for the Skiff, I wasn't huge on the environment in Act II, but controls were great.

Act III had similar issues with II, namely in balance, but I liked Skiffing through the storm, I thought the environment was far more interesting, and having a squad of 4 really helped alleviate some of the AI issues.

Speaking for the rest of the game, I really liked the Jack abilities and RPG elements. I didn't think much of the new weapons. Claw was alright, had some fun with the new Lancer, but nothing really caught my eye the way the Buzzkill did in 4. Also, I do wish the game built on some of the elements tested in Judgment and 4. For example, the fight against the Swarm at the abandoned mine was brutal and the only time I had to lower the difficulty, but I think it would've made for a great horde mode moment. Fighting off the waves by building turrets after rushing the fortress at the start. I think it would've been a ton of fun.

Finally, I really admire the risk taken with the choice in Act IV and hope it carries over in a meaningful way in Gears 6. Speaking personally, I chose JD but I can see why Del would be someone else's choice. I think The Coalition did a great job justifying both.

In the end, 7.5/10.

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
Still waiting for this fix to finish the Campaign. Frustrating.
I completed the game on Insane and it was reporting 2 Chapters as having not been completed via the Stats screen. Well, over the weekend 1 of those 2 Chapters finally updated.

I said "fuck it," and just ran through the other Chapter on Insane again. Thankfully, it wasn't too long (Act 2 Chapter 3), but I am still miffed I even had to deal with this nonsense.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Still being put on US servers with ~150 ping. Pure incompetence...

It is not a problem to find a game at all... like a few seconds or so. Why not take your time and find me an appropriate match with similar delay for all players, i can wait if that means game will be fair.... jfc

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
Tbh it's the best gears gameplay wise but the story has stuck with me like the last 3 gears of war games did. All you did throughout this game was lose and lose some more, which was the point I'm sure. It just seemed more like them setting up for gears 6 more than anything, but man that "choice" scene and what happened right after had me in my feelings I'm ngl. Shit was really well acted, could feel all the emotion. Shit just thinking about it makes me sad. BUT they did what wasn't most important for the gears franchise going forward, having LOVABLE new squad members, 4 didn't make me care but 5 sure as hell did.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
It pains me to see people having so may issues with this game. I'm lucky enough to report that I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs or networking issues (except some ISP issues) and I'm addicted to the versus multiplayer. Easily my favorite MP game of the generation.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
I'm enjoying The surge escape much more than the one from the last few weeks.
I can try this one at the harder difficulties and its not so random and grabby.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
I hate when a win is not registered in a Medal progression.

Same for dailies, you get the completion notification, but when you go back to the menu, recent progression has not been registered and you have to do the rest, again.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finished Act 2 Chapter 1 last night. Jeez, will this series ever get competent storytellers?
Oscar being killed off so quickly carried zero weight. WTF was the point of having him survive the events of 4?? Not to mention the climax of Act 1 had no weight either, especially with the reveal that JD was responsible for the Settlement 2 incident.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT

My achievements never popped for finishing the campaign still. With the patch I was hoping but fucking nope. I've literally never had that happen with another game.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Act 2 Chapter 1 last night. Jeez, will this series ever get competent storytellers?
Oscar being killed off so quickly carried zero weight. WTF was the point of having him survive the events of 4?? Not to mention the climax of Act 1 had no weight either, especially with the reveal that JD was responsible for the Settlement 2 incident.

You didn't think
Kait killing her own uncle
carried any weight? And you felt the same way about
JD's old school brand of heroics back firing? That and the settlement incident showed us how ineffective his is as a leader

I'll admit the story lost steam during ACT2, but there was nothing wrong with the moments you mentioned. Those were great moments.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You didn't think
JD's old school brand of heroics back firing? That and the settlement incident showed us how ineffective his is as a leader

I'll admit the story lost steam during ACT2, but there was nothing wrong with the moments you mentioned. Those were great moments.

Yeah the first two acts is where the game is strong and coherent. It's the second half where things just drop off and lose momentum.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
You didn't think

Yes, because the dramatic weight those moments needed were not properly built up enough in 4 let alone 5. After 4 I wasn't particularly invested in either JD or Kait. The series suffers from the characters having to serve the plot and genre, which leads to weak drama and poor character writing.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, because the dramatic weight those moments needed were not properly built up enough in 4 let alone 5. After 4 I wasn't particularly invested in either JD or Kait. The series suffers from the characters having to serve the plot and genre, which leads to weak drama and poor character writing.

The poor character writing wasn't present in those scenes you mentioned though. I'd argue that what we saw in act 1 and 2 served to give us a reasons to care about JD and Kait's characters that we lacked previously. In fact, i'd say the real shame is that the game just sorta dropped these character beats all together. All character development ceased at the end of act2, or took place offscreen. It's after this point where I'd say your criticisms ring true.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
The poor character writing wasn't present in those scenes you mentioned though. I'd argue that what we saw in act 1 and 2 served to give us a reasons to care about JD and Kait's characters that we lacked previously. In fact, i'd say the real shame is that the game just sorta dropped these character beats all together. All character development ceased at the end of act2, or took place offscreen. It's after this point where I'd say your criticisms ring true.
This ^^^ after act 2 I feel like the coalition was just like, "oh shit, we made people actually like the new delta squad but we forgot to advanced the worlds lore and story so fuck it lets just let the big bad guy show up and nail the final regrets and bad decisions in even worst scenarios theme into the coffin and we should be golden 👍🏾." Which is a shame, they made me really love Faz, JD (which surprised me, since I thought he was bland asf in 4), Dell and Kait. So to see them get bitch slapped to the sideline because the plot demands it was just bad pacing on their part. Which is so weird since this gears game perfectly balances character driven moments with high octane action to exploring desolate ruins all in the same level flawlessly. After act 2 it was just pure world building. Also does it bother anyone else how they treated Jin? Like I get it, stick it to the man, but like, she's trying to save humanity like everyone else in the LEAST violent way possible while Marcus and CO are like ayo get the strap let's handle business lol.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I was having a blast until the final act which felt like I was right back in the mediocrity of Gears of War 4.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Started playing this again but on an a X this time, and wow, the image quality and framerate are crazy. My 4K TV has never looked so good. Feels almost like a whole new game.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree with you per se, but Act 1 and Act 2 Ch 1 just aren't enough to remedy 4 laying such a poor foundation. I'm playing 5 directly after a replay of 4, by the way.
Oscar's death would have had more impact if he played a bigger role in 4 and/or him reconnecting with Kait lasted longer than one short cutscene. The reveal for JD does give him more depth, but it's wasted since he didn't have much character to begin with nor does the revelation really recontextualize his character in 4.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit it is infuriating trying to get the tour of duty challenges done that require a specific map. I have two right now to win a match on Vasgar and I've not seen it once.

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
How do you do the "win 10 matches in coop vs. AI" medal?

It's called Competitive Co-op and it's under Versus in the medal list

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This escape map is harder than the last one

As random and annoying were the sires, you could still play around them easily, especially if your teammates were worried to not separate. In this one, your shitty initial weapons can't do much against 2 scions. I can pass past elite

nillapuddin

Oct 25, 2017
Early Access network problems nonwithstanding, my 3 player online co-op run went flawlessly, so disappointing that others had so many problems :(

I loved it, absolutely so good
Cliff hanger for sure, but very cool

The queen in all her armored glory appears on the cover and promo material, but never in game? A bit odd. Went through a lot of effort getting her modeled and stuff

MGSV chapter 3 type controversy incoming, give us ACT V!

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Holy shit it is infuriating trying to get the tour of duty challenges done that require a specific map. I have two right now to win a match on Vasgar and I've not seen it once.
I had the same problem with the same challenge and the same map twice now. Ended up doing a daily skip both times. Thing is I get that map regularly when not having the challenge.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
How often can you skip/re-roll tour of duty challenges for free?
I think just once for free daily, then it's 10 iron, then 20 iron, then 40 iron, etc until the next day's list goes up.

I'm pretty sure that's right, but I guess I could be wrong. I re-roll once a day even if I complete each challenge just to get a new task for more stars.