• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think just once for free daily, then it's 10 iron, then 20 iron, then 40 iron, etc until the next day's list goes up.

I'm pretty sure that's right, but I guess I could be wrong. I re-roll once a day even if I complete each challenge just to get a new task for more stars.

You're right, only free once.

Best to save up your re-rolls that cost Iron for Saturday's though when it's now double stars.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
After playing since before launch on gamepass on PC. I uninstalled the game last night. Too many issues with online, and for a game that they touted with cross play it looks like too many people on xbox opt out of it. Player count is super low on anything I played. Especially multiplayer pvp. Took forever to get into a match, and then when it was loading a lobby we had fucking bots on our team, but other team had like 4 actual players. It was just a bad experience.

And for a game where they were pushing PC hard with Gamepass. I feel like the issues at launch, and the issues with low player count for PC, really hinders my overall enjoyment. Even all my other friends who are huge gears fans and have the game on xbox literally have not been on in a couple weeks.

They are all playing destiny and borderlands from what I gather on their gamertags.

I enjoyed the time I had with the campaign, enjoyed escape for what it was, but really hated what they did to horde which is my go to mode. PVP was actually when I was in a match fun. But the long wait times, and the constant tour of duty shit thats in my face all the time is a huge turn off.

This among others i've played in the last year or so are all trying to force us to stay in their games more with this dumb ass grind.

Let the game be the game and let people that care about their level/rank be the ones to just play more than the average. Don't design your game around grinding to keep us there, let us decide how much time we want.

With the whole character hero thing it feels like they just want to keep you there, and it feels forced in terms of design.
Which has got me worried for other Gamepass games and other high profile titles on other platforms.
Let the game be the game and let the player decide how much time or hardcore they want to be. Gears 2 and 3 were that.

Rant over.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
After all the goodwill from launch, TC did a lot of dumb decisions, some of them easy to avoid if they just learned from the previous game than themselves developed

I'm still trying to get the general rank and most of the medals though, I have faith that they will launch a huge patch to fix those issues

Remo Williams

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 13, 2018
Insane playthrough done. The final few battles that were a pushover on Experienced really challenged me. Still a fantastic game, but now it's time to move on.

Which is a shame, they made me really love Faz, JD (which surprised me, since I thought he was bland asf in 4), Dell and Kait.

Speaking of bland, Dell remained just as bland as he was in Gears 4. What a waste of a character, most others went through at least some development over the course of the game, but Dell remained an uninteresting goody two-shoes with little of substance to him.

Also does it bother anyone else how they treated Jin? Like I get it, stick it to the man, but like, she's trying to save humanity like everyone else in the LEAST violent way possible while Marcus and CO are like ayo get the strap let's handle business lol.

No, Jin was a major pain in the ass since Gears 4, and I wouldn't really say that she cares all that much about saving humanity. Maybe COG, but Outsiders have never been a great concern for her. If anything, I don't get why she keeps being so comically hostile toward Marcus and others when it's obvious that they get the job done, and save the day every single time. It's another disappointingly one-dimensional character.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
This ^^^ after act 2 I feel like the coalition was just like, "oh shit, we made people actually like the new delta squad but we forgot to advanced the worlds lore and story so fuck it lets just let the big bad guy show up and nail the final regrets and bad decisions in even worst scenarios theme into the coffin and we should be golden 👍🏾." Which is a shame, they made me really love Faz, JD (which surprised me, since I thought he was bland asf in 4), Dell and Kait. So to see them get bitch slapped to the sideline because the plot demands it was just bad pacing on their part. Which is so weird since this gears game perfectly balances character driven moments with high octane action to exploring desolate ruins all in the same level flawlessly. After act 2 it was just pure world building. Also does it bother anyone else how they treated Jin? Like I get it, stick it to the man, but like, she's trying to save humanity like everyone else in the LEAST violent way possible while Marcus and CO are like ayo get the strap let's handle business lol.

Yeah, I feel like
chapter 3 is weird. Like it's where Fahz and JD should have been growing, but they were already done for some off-screen reason. Instead there was no growth for anyone.

also Kait's central issue should have continued through act 3. Kait's struggles with her connection to the Swarm could have played nicely into JD and Fahz' arcs.

Act4 could have had a proper HoD Matriarch fight

I don't disagree with you per se, but Act 1 and Act 2 Ch 1 just aren't enough to remedy 4 laying such a poor foundation. I'm playing 5 directly after a replay of 4, by the way.
Oscar's death would have had more impact if he played a bigger role in 4 and/or him reconnecting with Kait lasted longer than one short cutscene. The reveal for JD does give him more depth, but it's wasted since he didn't have much character to begin with nor does the revelation really recontextualize his character in 4.

I get what your saying. I didn't look at 5 like it was going to remedy 4s problems, but more like it would improve these characters going forward. It got off to a good start IMO, but they took their foot off the gas.

Oscars death wasn't heavy to me because of 4's characterization of Kait and Oscar's relationship, but because of how they sold what the relationship meant to Kait in the brief time we had with them in 5. Like if Gears 5 was my first Gears game, I think that scene would still resonate with me.

Last edited:

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
After playing since before launch on gamepass on PC. I uninstalled the game last night. Too many issues with online, and for a game that they touted with cross play it looks like too many people on xbox opt out of it. Player count is super low on anything I played. Especially multiplayer pvp. Took forever to get into a match, and then when it was loading a lobby we had fucking bots on our team, but other team had like 4 actual players. It was just a bad experience.

And for a game where they were pushing PC hard with Gamepass. I feel like the issues at launch, and the issues with low player count for PC, really hinders my overall enjoyment. Even all my other friends who are huge gears fans and have the game on xbox literally have not been on in a couple weeks.

They are all playing destiny and borderlands from what I gather on their gamertags.

I enjoyed the time I had with the campaign, enjoyed escape for what it was, but really hated what they did to horde which is my go to mode. PVP was actually when I was in a match fun. But the long wait times, and the constant tour of duty shit thats in my face all the time is a huge turn off.

This among others i've played in the last year or so are all trying to force us to stay in their games more with this dumb ass grind.

Let the game be the game and let people that care about their level/rank be the ones to just play more than the average. Don't design your game around grinding to keep us there, let us decide how much time we want.

With the whole character hero thing it feels like they just want to keep you there, and it feels forced in terms of design.
Which has got me worried for other Gamepass games and other high profile titles on other platforms.
Let the game be the game and let the player decide how much time or hardcore they want to be. Gears 2 and 3 were that.

Rant over.
The hero thing and it's levels are pretty minuscule in terms of changes. I've been in horde and escape games where I forgot to equip the cards to my character and I didn't feel underpowered. I never felt like I needed to be at some level to compete. Your upgrades in-game mean more to the character than the cards.

As for the grind for rewards, I play a lot of MP games and I don't mind earning some reward as a result of that. I'd rather have the chance to earn something than nothing at all. I can play MP games with no reward incentive but look at the current landscape of MP game development. What's really popular right now and keeping player engaged? Right now Gears' main competitor is Fortnite. It's as of right now the only competitive third-person MP shooter, besides Gears. I don't blame them for wanting to try it out, or any MP developer for that matter. In some ways, it's kind of working. I've noticed less and less MP games not be dead within months. Not to say that they don't die out but it's been better than last gen. Would I have preferred if they gave it all to us for free? Sure. But that's not realistic for a game that's probably getting 2 years of support. Yeah, it sucks if you really want a cosmetic that's in the higher levels but you don't want to commit. Imo, this version of the battle pass has been the easiest out of all of them. I'm 75% done with it and we still have 2 more months to complete it. Maybe the next iteration of this is to not have rewards expire. Idk, but this is nowhere near killing my enjoyment.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
The hero thing and it's levels are pretty minuscule in terms of changes. I've been in horde and escape games where I forgot to equip the cards to my character and I didn't feel underpowered. I never felt like I needed to be at some level to compete. Your upgrades in-game mean more to the character than the cards.

As for the grind for rewards, I play a lot of MP games and I don't mind earning some reward as a result of that. I'd rather have the chance to earn something than nothing at all. I can play MP games with no reward incentive but look at the current landscape of MP game development. What's really popular right now and keeping player engaged? Right now Gears' main competitor is Fortnite. It's as of right now the only competitive third-person MP shooter, besides Gears. I don't blame them for wanting to try it out, or any MP developer for that matter. In some ways, it's kind of working. I've noticed less and less MP games not be dead within months. Not to say that they don't die out but it's been better than last gen. Would I have preferred if they gave it all to us for free? Sure. But that's not realistic for a game that's probably getting 2 years of support. Yeah, it sucks if you really want a cosmetic that's in the higher levels but you don't want to commit. Imo, this version of the battle pass has been the easiest out of all of them. I'm 75% done with it and we still have 2 more months to complete it. Maybe the next iteration of this is to not have rewards expire. Idk, but this is nowhere near killing my enjoyment.

Are you playing on XBox or PC?

Because my main issues on top of the way they ruined horde, was getting into MP matches in a timely manner and not having bots.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how they've ruined horde. Massive improvement over Gears4, which made you feel impotent unless you grinded cards an built your character.

The hero thing exists, but I feel like I can completely ignore it and still perform well. Just pick the character you want, buy/pickup the weapons you want and have at it.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 Horde is incredible personally, all the main 6 characters are fun to play with.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Yes, I'm aware of the server issues on PC that some are experiencing.

It's literally been like that since launch? Has more to do with people opting out of crossplay than anything. Meaning theres not a giant pool of players for me to access.

On top of how shitty me and all the people I play gears with were turned off by changes they made to horde, and the overall leveling system. Let's just say they all got it via Gamepass and are glad they didn't pay $60 for it.

Game is quality for sure, but I feel all the changes just don't work for everything being tied to character stat wise, MP is great the best it's ever been IMHO. But alas PC doesn't have the player pool that console does.

I don't see how they've ruined horde. Massive improvement over Gears4, which made you feel impotent unless you grinded cards an built your character.

The hero thing exists, but I feel like I can completely ignore it and still perform well. Just pick the character you want, buy the weapons you want and have at it.

Would like to know what modifiers you and Betty have used difficulty wise. Unless you level the charcters up especially offensive ones like JD, you won't deal enough damage on much harder difficulties. While in gears 4 even though I hated the card system, you at least knew what stacked, and what could be combined for damage output.
Meaning if you knew your sniper did 150+ explosion damage and had other cards that stacked on top of having Ping, you with a heavy, soldier could easily beat 50 waves on hard like it was nothing. insane and iron man you need at least a engineer.
This game is weird. Instead of having just straight different difficulties they are modifiers some of which affect not just the enemies but you.

It's another design decision to basically make it so you can't on your own through trial and error find ways to crush.
We use to exploit Mercy map because there was one specific spot where most than half the horde populated in that we would build fences around it and have a soldier plant grenades and watch swarm blow up like fireworks.

Was so fun.

My friends who I have a giant list of for gears specifically non of them are sticking with this gears which to me tells me you either like the changes or you hate them.
The grind for high level cards is just something that also in gears 4 was annoying. Make it all just expierence based, if you use a gun a lot you level up your skill level with that weapon. Makes you want to master every weapon.
This seems since it;s also connected to escape for some of the characters wants you in this continuous grind for cards. And is fucking sucks.

Not everyone liking Horde

Horde 4.0

More

I'm not alone in my distaste for how they have turned horde into something else. Gears 3 had it perfectly and some of the changes like with fabricator for 4 worked well for making a base anywhere in the maps instead of being locked down like in 3.
I agree a lot with those threads, Horde 4.0 doesn't promote team reliance. It makes it so everyone can do what they want which is counter intuitive. Why then have specific classes locked to specific characters then if people are going to go and just do what they want?

I was able on Bunker on
Intermediate to make it by myself to wave 40 before I got tired. With ease.

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
It absolutely promotes/relies too much on Team Reliance? Like too much in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by enough damage in higher difficulties, the only modifier that makes it so that you have to do more damage is the second or first one.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Is it a glitch that Co-op vs AI no longer counts towards ring caps for daily challenges?

EDIT: I wasn't aware that some people think they ruined horde. Honestly I hated Gears 4's horde and love this one.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Quick question:

So I played the game today just to ensure that I unlock the Bautista skin. After a bit at the boot camp, when i returned to the main menu, I saw the character skin appear and said it was available in the customization menu. Having visited it, I can all other "Characters" as well as their alternate (and locked) skins but I could not find Bautista.

Anyone know how to make him appear?

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Quick question:

So I played the game today just to ensure that I unlock the Bautista skin. After a bit at the boot camp, when i returned to the main menu, I saw the character skin appear and said it was available in the customization menu. Having visited it, I can all other "Characters" as well as their alternate (and locked) skins but I could not find Bautista.

He is a skin for Marcus.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question:

Bautista is a skin for Marcus.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
It absolutely promotes/relies too much on Team Reliance? Like too much in my opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean by enough damage in higher difficulties, the only modifier that makes it so that you have to do more damage is the second or first one.

How difficulty has worked in previous gears is enemies become sponges in 2 and 3. In 4 they added that the horde itself gets more powerful in the health they have and in damage.

In gears 5 it's specific modifiers one that makes it like Iron man which meant your team dies and you start over from wave 1. WHich would be promoting you to work as a team. But in the way they have classes locked to characters, and offensive ones can use energy to boost themselves makes for a un even type of game. You either have everyone dumping money, or they are leveling themselves up to kill and end up dying on harder difficulties.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Been playing Horde solo leveling up my characters so whenever I decide to play with other humans, whatever characters are available, I can play.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
How difficulty has worked in previous gears is enemies become sponges in 2 and 3. In 4 they added that the horde itself gets more powerful in the health they have and in damage.

In gears 5 it's specific modifiers one that makes it like Iron man which meant your team dies and you start over from wave 1. WHich would be promoting you to work as a team. But in the way they have classes locked to characters, and offensive ones can use energy to boost themselves makes for a un even type of game. You either have everyone dumping money, or they are leveling themselves up to kill and end up dying on harder difficulties.
I mean this sounds like you are playing in the early modifiers(?), which is where newer people tend to play in matchmaking, it's bad that the game throws people in without a tutorial but I'm not sure if this is really systematic problem. In my experience playing in custom games (you can play without the Ironman modifier) and higher difficulties leads to far more coordination and teamwork than the other Horde modes.

What I don't get is what you mean by not doing enough damage in higher difficulties, when the modifiers in higher difficulties don't affect the enemy's Heath(unless you are counting the regen and execute rules).

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The issues with scale in this game kinda remind me about lords of shadows 2, where gabriel was tiny compared to cars

fun game tho!

untitledbik4q.png

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally been like that since launch? Has more to do with people opting out of crossplay than anything. Meaning theres not a giant pool of players for me to access.

On top of how shitty me and all the people I play gears with were turned off by changes they made to horde, and the overall leveling system. Let's just say they all got it via Gamepass and are glad they didn't pay $60 for it.

Game is quality for sure, but I feel all the changes just don't work for everything being tied to character stat wise, MP is great the best it's ever been IMHO. But alas PC doesn't have the player pool that console does.

Would like to know what modifiers you and Betty have used difficulty wise. Unless you level the charcters up especially offensive ones like JD, you won't deal enough damage on much harder difficulties. While in gears 4 even though I hated the card system, you at least knew what stacked, and what could be combined for damage output.
Meaning if you knew your sniper did 150+ explosion damage and had other cards that stacked on top of having Ping, you with a heavy, soldier could easily beat 50 waves on hard like it was nothing. insane and iron man you need at least a engineer.
This game is weird. Instead of having just straight different difficulties they are modifiers some of which affect not just the enemies but you.

It's another design decision to basically make it so you can't on your own through trial and error find ways to crush.
We use to exploit Mercy map because there was one specific spot where most than half the horde populated in that we would build fences around it and have a soldier plant grenades and watch swarm blow up like fireworks.

Was so fun.

My friends who I have a giant list of for gears specifically non of them are sticking with this gears which to me tells me you either like the changes or you hate them.
The grind for high level cards is just something that also in gears 4 was annoying. Make it all just expierence based, if you use a gun a lot you level up your skill level with that weapon. Makes you want to master every weapon.
This seems since it;s also connected to escape for some of the characters wants you in this continuous grind for cards. And is fucking sucks.

Not everyone liking Horde

Horde 4.0

More

I'm not alone in my distaste for how they have turned horde into something else. Gears 3 had it perfectly and some of the changes like with fabricator for 4 worked well for making a base anywhere in the maps instead of being locked down like in 3.
I agree a lot with those threads, Horde 4.0 doesn't promote team reliance. It makes it so everyone can do what they want which is counter intuitive. Why then have specific classes locked to specific characters then if people are going to go and just do what they want?

I was able on Bunker on
Intermediate to make it by myself to wave 40 before I got tired. With ease.

My take on the whole thing is that fortifications and leveling Have been detrimental to the Horde experience. Its never been better than Gears 2 when all you had was the weapons you spawn with and whatever you could pickup during/between rounds. Matches were much more dynamic then.

Rather than forcing people into specific roles, I think the game excels when everyone is empowered to play any role at anytime as needed.

While Gears 5 does encourage leveling and roleplay, it feels like the have a softer influence on the game than what we had in 4. Im not gettin run out of lobbies because my scout's not good enough - that doesn't matter as much as me being individually skilled.

Fortifications still being a heavy focus is a bummer, and I feel for the guy that has to be an engineer. But I do like that taps now give players a reason to expand their defenses rather than hunkering down in the same spot all match.

I recognize that the experience changes with difficulty level, but it's all relative. I've only done Intermediate and Advanced so far, and they feel right for where my characters are. When my characters get better ,I'll jump into advanced.

I disagree that allowing players more freedom to play outside of their role discourages teamplay. It simply allows more fluidity within the match to adjust how you help the team.

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
so some progress on bringing back some Gears 4 maps.

they said they will bring one map back as a start, via twitter poll.

EDIT: also, Flash Bangs are getting removed from loadouts.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I mean this sounds like you are playing in the early modifiers(?), which is where newer people tend to play in matchmaking, it's bad that the game throws people in without a tutorial but I'm not sure if this is really systematic problem. In my experience playing in custom games (you can play without the Ironman modifier) and higher difficulties leads to far more coordination and teamwork than the other Horde modes.

What I don't get is what you mean by not doing enough damage in higher difficulties, when the modifiers in higher difficulties don't affect the enemy's Heath(unless you are counting the regen and execute rules).

Unless you do custom, the modifiers are the difficulty and the path auto selects the haiarchy. Compared to gears 3-4 you could just select a difficulty. It's straight up modifiers that define the difficulty now.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019

dev stream today

EDIT: looks like they're still in but the flash will be reduced.

Damn people really do hate the flash grenade. I love it tbh, sometimes people need to calm down on the ultra competitive-ness. Yeah sometimes they can be cheap as hell but nothing's more satisfying than flash banging a bunch of campers and walking in the room shooting each one into pieces. I just think you shouldn't be stunned so long, or like, maybe just allow the player to still be able to melee or something since it's basically a homing attack up close.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
The only change they need to make is to remove the stun. I can't think of any other game where flashbangs also stun you. If I could at least attempt to defend myself against an obvious rush or even revive my teammate then I would have no issues with them.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Damn you can beat the surge in atleast insane in 2-3 minutes real time. Great grinding place

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Their changes to the ranking system really botched the matchmaking. Just had a guy who put up 0 points in 8 rounds of ranked execution.

Edit: Ugh, it's so bad. Game is flat out unplayable with how bad the matchmaking is right now. Microsoft really needs to give TC a kick in the ass because they're failing on all fronts right now in terms of post launch support.

Last edited:

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
God damn is Del fucking useless, If I go down it's almost a 100% cert that he's going to be miles away just standing there picking his nose.
It's not like I'm rushing ahead either.

SeanMN

Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the campaign, loved it! Probably me favorite Gears game, with Act 2 being fav act in any Gears game.

Now to check out some mp.

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
Good call on their part - should have been done from the start with that pitiful map count.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
The Tour of Duty daily challenges just reset for me, I thought these would show double stars since these are the ones for Saturday. Is that not the case? Do they only go double once my timezone hits Saturday?