• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Paris, France
I was so hyped for Gears campaign but it let a sour taste in my mouth. Just finished it today.

Act 1 was amazing, tense and tight, was hooked. Act 2 refreshing, but by the middle of act 3 I had enough, wasn't fun anymore to explore, story was dragging and was just waiting for Act 4 to finish. No "wow that's badass" moments like in 2 et 3, event 4 had a funnier last act. Agree the gunplay feel is at its finest though.

I'll add that playing this game in coop probably killed my enthusiasm. He was constantly kicked out for no reason, played Jack with some annoying bugs (I had a few myself) and got very angry to not see what was experiencing Kate. Kate's arc which has no further more development after Act 2
IMO. Surprisingly, J.D. was way more fleshed out in this game and had an interesting grey area. But WTF with that
killing Del or J.D. WTF this can't have the same consequences on the protagonists (like Marcus for example) and will probably result in an underwhelming handling in the next Gears + it happens too late in the game opposed to Dom in 3. It felt like the Wolfenstein chose which uninteresting second character is getting killed

Still feel the need to be bitchin' about so, Gears 4 was way more eye candy, at least way more sharp and clean and didn't think the trade-off for 60fps campaign was worthy. A shame considering there are so many thing happening, so much effects, everything is much more detailed and all.

No doubt Gears on Scarlett will be something but it's the first time I have close to zero interest in the next development story wise (and I'm a huge fan of Gears campaigns) and I'm not sure they found their right formula.

It's just the way I feel and my opinion, I do think that The Coalition is a phenomenal studio.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
what is WRONG with the ranking and matchmaking

finally made it out of Silver 1, then suddenly got up in the top 20% of 2. Game proceeds to throw me into 4 matches of what I could sometimes only imagine to be against players several tiers higher, so we lose every match (one of them was an absolute slaughter the likes of which I havent since i was in highschool). Placing keeps going down. Ok, not sure what is happening but im losing after all. Then the fifth match was more saney, and a win.

BOOM, kicked back from 2 30% all the way down to 1 80%.
The last few matches havent been much of a challenge to put it mildly.

Now i know that others got kicked out of diamond or w/e all the way down to bronze, but i thought they had fixed their shit.
Maybe its all the previous diamond players clogging up the lower tiers, skewing their skewed system even further lmao

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

I see the old horrible quitting bans are back from Gears 4. How does Overwatch or Siege do it?

Edit: LOL, wow
b97d6906b7b91a894e042f89c3b721439f77e673.jpeg

Wait really?
This might be threadworthy
Edit: From some old Reddit posts they never had a Taiwan flag.
ok. thought some bullshittery was going on after the Apple thing

Last edited:

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
18/21. Not bad
ow0zqqqmgmr31.jpg

While quit penalties are necessary, i would prefer TC to fix connection issues first.

Arcade scrub meets his match in gnasher only KoTH lol

Last edited:

Benjargon

Mar 27, 2019
Looks very cool from screenshots. I really want to try Cat and Emile from Halo: Reach in Horde mode. I hope it plays just as well as it looks because I saw that it has mixed reviews on Steam.

Nov 6, 2017
The game needs a lot more fine tuning and content (and had a lot of additional problems in the first week). I would not recommand to buy full price but you get 2 months of gamepass for 2 bucks. Give it a try that way if you are interested.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I use the gnasher and I see bright white dots popping up as hitmarkers yet when I die it doesn't even show I did damage and his said 100%.
Wtf is going on

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wait...why is the curb different?

The normal one is literally in the game and bots do it all the time.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Does people realize that you need to trap the scion in the weapon room to stand a chance to beat that level?

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just finished the campaign... did anyone else feel like the story ended kind of abruptly? Like the final fight happens and then it's just over... there was a short cutscene but that was it.

Stewarto

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone who spent iron on objectives last week that didn't get double stars got their iron back yet?

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like its weirdly difficult to get cryo cannon kills in horde. Breaking the frozen person should count. Now I'm just meleeing until they are dbno and then killing them with the cannon. MP is easier in a sense but also more difficult in that it's real people.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Loaded into my first game in a few days, kicked by the server near the end of the first round and now I'm suspended for 15 minutes.

TC is going to kill this franchise lol.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Finally started the campaign after doing a complete play through of all the Gears games (1/2/3/Judgement/4) and I was going to start complaining about how similar to 4 it felt but I finally got to act 2 where it opens up and am starting to feel a lot better about it. So far the pacing is so much better because they aren't constantly throwing enemies at you. With the open world it lets you take a breather and explore a bit to find some collectibles and some neat locations. This is the direction they need to keep going so the series doesn't get too stale.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like its weirdly difficult to get cryo cannon kills in horde. Breaking the frozen person should count. Now I'm just meleeing until they are dbno and then killing them with the cannon. MP is easier in a sense but also more difficult in that it's real people.

trying to get Cryo kills for the Medal?

Loaded into my first game in a few days, kicked by the server near the end of the first round and now I'm suspended for 15 minutes.

TC is going to kill this franchise lol.
this was an issue in Gears 4 from the day they implemented bans. even worse was the lobby dissolving before the game loaded and would still had out bans.

tweet form Octus suggesting it's our fault. bullshit if you ask me. if they can't do bans properly then don't do them at all.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You know, for being Microsoft biggest release of the year, TC has done an amazing job on killing all the goodwill than this game has

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
trying to get Cryo kills for the Medal?

this was an issue in Gears 4 from the day they implemented bans. even worse was the lobby dissolving before the game loaded and would still had out bans.

tweet form Octus suggesting it's our fault. bullshit if you ask me. if they can't do bans properly then don't do them at all.

Yeah.

and for your other part not directed at me, it's just another argument in my crusade against ranked modes. Wouldn't even have to worry about it if it was just rolling lobbies.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.

and for your other part not directed at me, it's just another argument in my crusade against ranked modes. Wouldn't even have to worry about it if it was just rolling lobbies.

this is an older post I made for someone else trying to do cryo kills

----------------------------------------------------

load up The Hive on Custom Matches. solo

in the first half of the run you come up to an open room with 6-8 Drones and one Scion with a Cryo Cannon. what I do is wait for the Scion to get close and take him out.

Grab the Cryo Cannon and stay on the near side behind cover and wait for the drones to come to you. With Lahni you can kick each Drone down with one hit, then use the Cannon to finish them off when they're DBNO crawling(freezing/shattering them wont count). two more bonus drones spawn just before the contamination doors and I find I still have a bit of ammo left to take them out too.

make sure you pass through the the mid-round respite area and you will be safe to return to lobby with the kills being counted.

you can also keep going and complete the run solo for extra points towards lots o f the Weapon/Enemy/Hivebuster/Escape medals. the Warden spawns and you can take the Hammer to the end for lots of kills against the Juvies.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
this is an older post I made for someone else trying to do cryo kills

----------------------------------------------------

load up The Hive on Custom Matches. solo

in the first half of the run you come up to an open room with 6-8 Drones and one Scion with a Cryo Cannon. what I do is wait for the Scion to get close and take him out.

Grab the Cryo Cannon and stay on the near side behind cover and wait for the drones to come to you. With Lahni you can kick each Drone down with one hit, then use the Cannon to finish them off when they're DBNO crawling(freezing/shattering them wont count). two more bonus drones spawn just before the contamination doors and I find I still have a bit of ammo left to take them out too.

make sure you pass through the the mid-round respite area and you will be safe to return to lobby with the kills being counted.

you can also keep going and complete the run solo for extra points towards lots o f the Weapon/Enemy/Hivebuster/Escape medals. the Warden spawns and you can take the Hammer to the end for lots of kills against the Juvies.

Good lookin out. I will do this tonight!

Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting really bad framerates on the PC version during cutscenes, is this normal or something to do with my PC? It's really jarring, not quite to single figures but in the teens anyway fps.

Dec 11, 2017
I just played a game of ranked KOTH. I had a quitter on my team. We lost. I went from 42% in the division to 100%. WTF is this ranking system, like jesus christ was a shit show. Then I played another one, and had another quitter. This fucking game.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well I think I've come to terms with this being the worst Gears game, which is fucking depressing. TC was not the right choice for this franchise unfortunately, the only ones actually doing good work over there are the people in charge of the visuals and graphics.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
The sound mixing is pretty bad. I feel like guns and the general weighty-ness of everything is a bit weaker and the voices are way too low at times. I can't believe no one caught this during play testing.

Nov 6, 2017
TC was not the right choice for this franchise unfortunately
Sadly, this. OK, they might have "tried" with Gears 4 and everybody should get a 2nd chance, but after 1+ month of Gears 5 I can't stand it any longer. They seem to have not improved / learned in an way or form. This game has so many problems and they are even unable to fix small things or get basics right. For 2 days I can't create / host horde lobbies any longer. Just a worthless error message. What a joke. I am just glad I did not pay anything for Gears 5. Can't image how people feel who invested 60+ in this unfinished mess.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, after a decent start into the campaign, I have now hit the open-world Skiff section and my enthusiasm is completely gone. I've done two optional locations and one or two mandatory ones (I hated that sniper gate but got past it) and I just can't be bothered to continue. Does the pace pick up considerably or will the Skiff sections drag on forever?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe only seeing the ice level background in the main menu was actually a bug on PC. I'm so pissed rn lol

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, after a decent start into the campaign, I have now hit the open-world Skiff section and my enthusiasm is completely gone. I've done two optional locations and one or two mandatory ones (I hated that sniper gate but got past it) and I just can't be bothered to continue. Does the pace pick up considerably or will the Skiff sections drag on forever?

They drag, try to just focus on the main objectives only would be my advice.