• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Hey they removed the Gears logo for the Rock/Ice skins
The objectives don't seem that bad but I don't see the point, just give people them.
I was hoping for two horde/Escape characters.

Wait they decided to make Grace her own Horde/Escape character and lock her behind a paywall...

Johnohno

Hero of Bowerstone
Nov 6, 2017
Just noticed there's a Terminator horde event available and some medals have been added for it. Was this known? I don't remember seeing it in the blog post.

There's also a couple of new Terminator characters in the store.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
At least the unlock requirements aren't completely outrageous, though the only one I'm interested in is RAAM.

Sure wish they'd release characters more frequently though. Probably going to be March/April before Tai even becomes a possibility.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I'm almost done with the tour of duty. I'm at a point where a bunch of medals are completing too. Almost got Ranked, Basic, and Weapons wrapped up. I almost have the Enemies one too but I need to kill a lot more juvies. They don't spawn too often it seems.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I'm earning totem progression without any totems haha.
Seems to be random

The Terminator event was pretty fun

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I thought you'd actually be able to do the challenges simultaneously for the ones that are shared across totems but nope, seems like you have to do the same exact challenges multiple times with each totem equipped. It's like...I'm not even upset anymore, this shit is just straight up depressing.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe they should spend more time fixing the game before releasing more shit on the store.

Just an idea.

And I LOVE how I can't progress my totem on quickplay and have to be subjected to Ranked.

People are going through 50 waves of Horde, completing Escape on Master, and get no stats tracked or results screens for it.

This is unacceptable.

EDIT: And now suddenly my totem progression is counted during quickplay... when the previous matches weren't... great!

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I hate that they gave Grace her own skills, what's even the point it's like they made it purposefully bad so they don't get called pay to win. A simple retool could make it much more effective.

Only one additional character for Horde/Escape in operation 1 is the cherry ontop

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Think I might be dropping this game soon. I had a week away from it and realised I wasn't having as much fun as I thought grinding the tour medals. The grinding for new characters is just another thing putting me off playing it anymore. I think I'll play something that better respects my time. Gears 5 feels like it's primarily after my money, sick of the constant testing of my willpower.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I hate that they gave Grace her own skills, what's even the point it's like they made it purposefully bad so they don't get called pay to win. A simple retool could make it much more effective.

Only one additional character for Horde/Escape in operation 1 is the cherry ontop

Yeah the way they kinda loopholed that one is really shitty.

Nov 6, 2017
I'm earning totem progression without any totems haha.
Seems to be random
Broken is the TCs real name. It's really baffling the amount of little problems the game has (mostly again and again).

With the totem progress is not registered. Without the totem the game counted 14 horde game, some assists and XP gain for me. With the totem I got 19 horde progression in the post game screen (despite playing full 20 waves; lol) and in the progression windows of the totem nothing changed / updated.

But I am sure the MTX / Store is working fine. They just don't give a shit about anything else.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
I can't believe this is supposed to be the best gears yet.
Opening chapter was decent enough, but wtf is chapter 2.
I really don't care for all this travelling around on the skiff. What were they thinking of shoving semi open world crap into a third person cover shooter.
Gears strength is the combat and encounters and believe it or not is the fun thing about the game.

I have only just blew the ice, please tell me there's no more of this open world rubbish.

Last edited:

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I really don't care for all this travelling around on the skiff. What were they thinking of shooting semi open world crap into a third person cover shooter.
Gears strength is the combat and encounters and believe it or not is the fun thing about the game.

I have only just blew the ice, please tell me there's no more of this open world rubbish.

If you don't like Act 2 stop now, Act 3 doubles down on the "open world" and it's much worse than the second act to me. Act 4 goes back to linear Gears gameplay though.

Last edited:

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think its the best Gears by any measure. The awesome cheap way to play the game and brilliant presentation created a lot of hype but the multiplayer is constantly half broken due to progression issues, and the campaign has its moments but the story might as well have ended in act 2 and frankly the open world stuff in act 3 really does feel like padding out playtime with how much it sends you back and forth.

its a good game, but now that the hype has settled i would say its actually pretty close to gears 4 all considered.

TP-DK

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
If you don't like Act 2 stop now, Act 3 doubles down on the "open world" and it's much worse than the se one act to me. Act 4 goes back to linear Gears gameplay though.

You got to be kidding me. I just finished chapter 2 and hoped that was the end to the nonsense. I really liked Chapter 1, but chapter 2 was so incredibly boring, whats the point of the open world when theres nothing interesting in it?

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I really can't be bothered to play as much Horde and Escape as they want me to, just to unlock ... uhhh... anything really.

Nov 6, 2017
And now with the new characters you have to play horde & escape (or pay ~5 bucks each) to "unlock" characters you can't even use in horde and escape (only 1 of 4 is available in all modes).

What were they thinking of shooting semi open world crap into a third person cover shooter.
Maybe they just worked of a checklist of things the marketing department decided the game needs.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't be bothered to play as much Horde and Escape as they want me to, just to unlock ... uhhh... anything really.
This. I am still onboard because i hate myself and have too much free time for my own good but this whole system is super manipulative and anti-fun.

They should let us choose which mode objectives we would like to grind for at least.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
fuck sakes. hard to see even when it's you playing......

1cpn2xvoyys31.jpg

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't care for all this travelling around on the skiff. What were they thinking of shoving semi open world crap into a third person cover shooter.

I thought the open world stuff was just okay for Chapter 2 but another chapter of that right after was too much.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
By now I would hope that most of the players would know about Friendly fire in Escape mode. And why would you waste your freaking time on checking out every single supply room when we are trying to beat the latest hive on Insane difficulty for like 15th time? 50% of "successful" attempts ended like this:

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Domination is a terrible gametype imo. The amount of rounds needed to win is excessive aswell.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Best build for this week hive? I cant decide the best loadout

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Does ranking system even work? Does it work at all?

Had 8k points in KOTH before today's play session. Won a game, looked at stats and it showed +100 something points at the end of the game when you click for detailed view, then i look at my overall KOTH rank again and its gone back to ~7300pts... ???

Won and lost a couple more games, when lost i got like -50 something points when won got from +100 to +300...... overall there were just a couple of times when i was negative, maybe even just once..... and at the end of the day my rank is still at 7300pts and i am stuck in silver 2 90%

Am i missing something? These points + or - should add up to your rank pts which you see when you select ranked game mode that you want to play... right?

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Happened to me too in Versus and Escape. What the hell is that?
Good to know it's not just me then. I have no idea what happened.
On base Xbox One and tried out Horde/Escape and Versus. No issues so far and framerate can still go up to 60.
I've played on both the base and X and never encounter that until now. I was playing Escape then went to Versus and when the match started it was capped at 30fps. Didn't go back to 60fps until I quit out and joined a new lobby.

Really odd.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Got to wave 47 in Horde with three randoms and an AI character. Probably would have done it if not for two Wardens the round before that completely destroyed all our stuff.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So to unlock the characters do I need to complete 50 hoard waves consecutively or can I break it up between a few rounds