• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
the other side
Locust Drone seems to be added

os9glt3pkg241.jpg

This is the new store pop up.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
this is disappointing. 1 new map and 1 old Gears 4 map for Versus.

wtf

Lift is such a shitty map too

Last edited:

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
The update seems solid, but I'm not sure if 2 characters is really enough to keep me interested in Horde/Escape, especially since of the little stuff added(or at least talked about) there.
Maybe a Character will come with Kantus, since I can't really understand why Kantus is being delayed otherwise.
Horde getting Lahni,Mac and Keegan is nice, only adding Marcus to escape is a bit lame but now that Kat is getting new skills it may as well be a new character for that mode, only 6 hives seems a bit weak.
Edit: It seems like they are spreading the content through too many modes, 2v2 Gnashers basically requires its own maps while Free For All atleast uses Escape assets.
It's pretty bad that they recolor'd a Marcus Skin they sold earlier as a reward, I didn't buy it but I could imagine that being rough to see if I did.
Edit2: It's also lame that they locked Weapon Skins of a set in different unlocks.

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
yup. basically we get FFA, 2v2, Hero's, cosmetics but at the cost of Versus MP maps.

now going forward they need to support three different sets of map styles instead of just one.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Clayton got cut/delayed from this operation.
Kantus getting Lizzie perks makes sense since it's probably the most mobile, so there should be a third COG character to get Jermud's perk, which reference the helmet he wears.
Also it would have made sense to just give Lizzie Jermud's perks, since she you know also wears a helmet, and not go through the effort of creating another Arcade character locked to one side and give the Kantus whatever if the original plan was only these 5 characters.
Which makes me thing Clayton got cut since he would make sense as a helmeted character, even more than Lizzie since of when he got shot and was suppose to be the opposite of Jermud.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
That new map looks so boring visually... maybe it's gonna be nice to play on at least.

Lift... dude, I've been enjoying that map so much in 4 lately, I'm not even mad lol

They are spreading themselves wayyy too thin by supporting all these modes with different maps though.
I don't really want to play FFA or 2v2, so there really isn't much to be excited about :/
But we knew it was gonna be just two new versus maps and I knew that that wasn't going to improve the map pool in any significant fashion. They could at least put Forge into rotation (NOT HARBOR).. god this so sad that it has to be padded out with gears 4 maps, but here we are XD

There is one way out if this mess and it's
CHRISTMAS SWEATER IMAGO

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Not a fan of this update. Only one new map whole everything else is reused in some capacity. Even the FFA maps seems to just be from the Escape builder from what I can gather.

I feel like they had to knock this one out of the park and they really didn't in my opinion.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think it would be a good idea to use Escape art assets to make a new map or two(one each theme) similar to how some maps use Campaign art assets. And maybe make some theme tile sets for Escape that use MP map art assets.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Heh, playing through the first act of the campaign on 'Experienced' and it feels a lot tougher than 'Hardcore' in Gears 3 and 4. Though there's a good chance I'm just misremembering things and my feeble gaming skills have started to deteriorate over the years. Just feels like every hit takes off a larger chunk of health than what I remember of 'hardcore' in the prior games. I think I'll power through it for now, though I think if I hit too many 'brick walls' in the campaign, I may end up enjoying this one more on the default difficulty.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Clayton got cut/delayed from this operation.
Kantus getting Lizzie perks makes sense since it's probably the most mobile, so there should be a third COG character to get Jermud's perk, which reference the helmet he wears.
Also it would have made sense to just give Lizzie Jermud's perks, since she you know also wears a helmet, and not go through the effort of creating another Arcade character locked to one side and give the Kantus whatever if the original plan was only these 5 characters.
Which makes me thing Clayton got cut since he would make sense as a helmeted character, even more than Lizzie since of when he got shot and was suppose to be the opposite of Jermud.

I have a theory that the Carmine family will be funneled into the same Hero slot. Anthony, Benjamin, Clayton, and Gary will only be skins.

But we knew it was gonna be just two new versus maps

how did you know it was going to be only two maps?

I think it would be a good idea to use Escape art assets to make a new map or two(one each theme) similar to how some maps use Campaign art assets. And maybe make some theme tile sets for Escape that use MP map art assets.

Yup, immediately noticed that it was the exact same tiles sets from Escape.

Last edited:

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lookin forward to getting my Onyx skins with the new operation next week. Very happy with my current stats, considering its all solo play. So many AFKs, bad Gamepass users, dudes who camp the damn sniper rifle and never get in the hill, etc

en-7282480094303767810-20191205142619.jpg

en-7282480094303767810-20191205142756.jpg

There's something to be said for only 3% of the player base is in Onyx 2 or above. The amount of people in Diamond/Master gotta be tiny.

Some general KOTH tips:

-Use the damn Lancer. Seen so many guys press left on the D-pad on spawn and just run in hoping for the best with the Gnasher, every time. Lancer can assist a teammate while they're in a gnasher duel, they can put pressure on a team defending the ring, it can stop people attacking the ring, it can cross certain locations to hold down positions. A lot of my points/elims come from using the Lancer, knowing how fast it downs, and knowing where to post up to lay down fire.

-Always be aware of the power weapons and their spawn time. You'd be amazed how often the other team just dont pick them up if they arent at the hill. And not just the big obvious easy ones like the Mace or GL Lancer. The Nail Gun has incredible stopping power when it gets going. The Boltok can kill in 3 shots. Shock grenades can be deployed to great effect for area denial at or around the hill. The Mulcher on Icebound and Bunker can rack up half a dozen kills with the right movement/spacing.

-Make the smart play, not the cool one. Yeah, it might sound cool to rush into a pack of multiple guys, wallbounce/outplay them and get that triple kill, but what are the chances of that unless the guys you're playing against are really bad? You'd have a better chance of success going with a teammate, doubling up on one guy, rolling away a bit to recover health, using a smoke grenade to confuse/mask your approach, flanking and getting a sneak gnasher kill or two when the enemy is distracted. At high levels of play, you gotta know they're expecting the expected(running in headlong with a gnasher), so you gotta play around that. Its the difference between heaving up a 40-foot three pointer from half court vs driving to the basket to get a lay-up. Might not make the YouTube highlight reel, but its a much higher chance of success.

-Always push with your team. If everybody died but you, wait for them to spawn. Fallback, grab a power weapon or something, just be patient. Worst thing you can do is push in, get a break/die, then respawn on the other side of the map, while the other three teammates just spawned and are making a push without you. Its really just a numbers probability game; you stand a higher chance beating a team of five with your own team of five, instead of just three or four. You're at a disadvantage when the other team has the hill. They know where you want to go and they covered all the routes to get there. Don't make it even harder on yourself.

-With few exceptions, do not stand in the fucking ring to defend it! This is probably the biggest mistake I see people do online. They stand in the hill, gnasher out, letting the other team push pass the choke points because they dont use their lancer, and then its a 50/50 game of Gnasher fights. Or worse, they get smoked/flashed in the hill(which is the first place those grenade are gonna go, duh), get stunned/confused, and die immediately. Spread out! Post up ahead of the hill and Lancer to slow their approach. Mark the enemy so your team knows where to converge on. If they push pass your defenses and break the hill, fall back, but that should be a last resort, not your first and only strategy.

-Smoke grenades for tricky caps can be your best friend. There are certain rings like the middle of District or Icebound, where its easy for the other team to rain down Lancer fire if you're in the hill. If you throw a Smoke grenade down in front of them like a ninja and start wall bouncing between spots, its gonna make you much harder to kill as you cap the hill. Now they have to come to you to cap it or break it. This can also work well when trying to grab power weapons, although not quite as effective since you have to stand in one spot and go through a picking up animation to get it.

-Focus on staying alive. You wont get 2.29 elims a minute/0.55 caps per minute/top 7% score and wins if you die. If you approach a pair of people, kill one, roll away or hide until your health comes back. If you get a power weapon, run to the side of the map your teammates spawn instead of risking running into the enemy spawn with their gnashers out. Never take on somebody 1v1 if you can do it 2v1 or 3v1. The top ranked guys in the game aren't just wallbouncing Gnasher Gods. They understand teamwork, they mark enemies, they have excellent positioning, they are aware of power weapon spawn times, they smoke grenade and flank, they provide covering fire with the Lancer, they roll and get to cover immediately when under fire, they down somebody and pick them up to get a meatshield against the other guy. You have to use every single tool, know the maps like the back of your hand, and prioritize whats best for your team over yourself.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
What time investment I'm I looking at with Gears 4 and Gears 5 campaigns? Brother got an X after the OG XB1 died and it came withh Gears 1-5 (I've already played 1-3). Wonder if I should pace myself (came with 1 month Game Pass, so have a few options on the plate), do a full franchise playthrough or Gears 4 and 5 back-to-back, then the few GP games I'm looking to finish in a month (Metro Exodus, DMC5 and The Outer Worlds).

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I have a theory that the Carmine family will be funneled into the same Hero slot. Anthony, Benjamin, Clayton, and Gary will only be skins.

Yup, immediately noticed that it was the exact same tiles sets from Escape.
I think Clayton won't be. I think they'll make Anthony a skin for Lizzie and Benjamin a skin for COG Gear which I think is fine.
Also I think you misinterpreted my thought, I think it would be a good to idea to have a level or 2 based off art assets of Escape themes would be a good idea, like how the level Vasqar is derived from Act 3 assets not that it uses the Escape tiles. To add some maps that don't require as much work yet still feel unique and artistically well made

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you got any higher during the season you'll get that skin too. The game looks at your high water mark at the end of an Operation.

for example; if you hit diamond then immediately dropped back to Onxy 3 it will count.
I always thought the diamond skins were ugly but the masters Lancer would be cool. IDK if I'm good enough for that tho. The really high skill rating matches are verrrrry sweaty.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought the diamond skins were ugly but the masters Lancer would be cool. IDK if I'm good enough for that tho. The really high skill rating matches are verrrrry sweaty.
not only are they sweaty but if you get matched with lower ranks your expected to carry hard. this is why you see so many players complaining that they went MVP, won the match and still dropped points.

got masters before the reset but I can't get out of Onyx2 now. not much progress for two weeks and im wondering if they changed something
en-17598289852198050444-20191205204743.jpg

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFA looks like absolute fuckery lol. Not for me, hope they don't spend too many resources making more maps for that instead of 5v5 versus

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
skins can start to be claimed now

also, this looks great but just like I suspected the better looking skins will be paid-only.

Last edited:

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I don't think there is. Right now, you can set a bloodspray for each individual gun but i don't think you can set a general preference.
ah i see. it is a little tedious when you get a new banner or bloodspray and have to set it 50 times and with more characters it will just get worse. hopefully the coalition knows that and will make a change.

does anyone know if the gears stats on gears5.com reset every season?

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

Operation 2: Free for All

The new Operation begins tomorrow, December 11! A reminder, the game update will be available to download at 10:00 am PT but all of the new content – modes (FFA, Arcade Blitz & 2v2) and content (maps, characters & more) – won't be active until approximately 1 pm PT.

Title Update 3 Patch Notes

Along with the launch of Operation 2: Free For All, we're rolling a variety of improvements and fixes in our biggest update yet.

• Added weapon Bloodsprays to your victims' death screens in versus
  • Movement adjustments to improve strafing including increased acceleration and a minor reduction in the delay from road run to shoot
  • Updated visuals on the spectator HUD used in private versus matches – now includes a mini-map with numbered player icons
  • Added "Reduced Buffering" option for PC players that can reduce input lag when frame-rate is consistently much higher than your monitor's refresh rate
  • Fixed an issue that could cause only a single map to be featured in the front end
  • Fixed HUD locators being clamped to corners of the screen when they should have been positioned along the bottom
  • Users are no longer able to use a Breaker Mace to kill players in elevated low covers with the Heavy attack
  • Fixed an issue where sometimes players searched for cover on the other side of cover they are facing
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players roll directly into covers when performing an ADS "Back-A"
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to hitch after performing a cover slip+roadie run at certain angles
  • Fixed an issue where aim adhesion tracked enemies through low cover
  • Melee'ing with a grenade no longer causes the character to ignore player collision on friendlies
  • Fixed an issue that could cause all fortifications and weapons to be displayed when Emile joins in progress
  • Fixed an issue where weapon skins occasionally didn't display on certain maps in Versus and Horde
  • Fixed an issue in Escape where sometimes split-screen Co-Op players experienced disabled melee and shooting until weapon swap when conducting an active reload with the Overkill
  • Fixed an issue in Horde where players can restart after wiping in Survivor
  • Fixed an issue where store updating forces the player to reboot the title to see new items
  • Fixed an issue in Escape where the Shock Grenadier mutator also damages nearby Swarm
  • Fixed an issue in Escape when a player joining in progress into the safe room could cause the next chapter to load indefinitely
  • Fixed an issue where DBNO players get revived with less than full health
  • Fixed an issue so that there is now blood splatter on the camera during pistol executions
  • Fixed an issue in Escape where the Poison Juvies mutator could continue to cause damage after poison puddle disappears
  • Execution previews now play
  • Fixed the issue where sometimes banners didn't appear on the MVP screen, if the MVP is on the losing team
  • Fixed an issue in Escape where some players' Ultimates did not display as full on TAC-COM
  • Fixed an issue where some players using the combination of a Controller and a Mouse get incorrect adhesion/friction
  • Fixed the issue where Mouse and Keyboard in the Arcade Deathmatch weapon purchase menu the input to repeated continuously
  • Fixed an issue in Escape where the players "best time" sometimes displayed as "—" even though the user is placed on that Hive
  • Fixed an issue in PC where players attempting to install the Ultra-HD Texture pack sometimes got stuck at 70%
  • Fixed an issue in Horde where Jackbot is occasionally unable to interact with the button that turns the forge on
  • Fixed an issue in Horde where joining in progress occasionally enabled the user to see items that are not allowed to be purchased by that character
  • Additional miscellaneous bug fixes