• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got Harbor in ranked KOTH? lol them stealth adding these gears 4 maps, not that I don't mind. Forge is the only Gears 4 map in Gears 5 I haven't seen in matchmaking yet.

I like the new KOTH rings on Lift. Less funneling chokepoints, more places to contest, spawns have a bit more cover.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
sometimes (every time?) you join an escape match during the checkpoint it freezes the door that is supposed to open. there's no way to proceed and you have to end the game.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
sometimes (every time?) you join an escape match during the checkpoint it freezes the door that is supposed to open. there's no way to proceed and you have to end the game.

Really? that sucks, this happens if you join when you are taking a shower?

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
I just spent 20 minutes waiting for a ranked match of guardian before giving up. What is happening?

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

WhatsUp_Dec16-2019_Wide-5df7e7b816bcf-1024x576.jpg

Krampus-5df7e10866067-1024x576.jpg

This Krampus doesn't care if you've been naughty or nice – he's coming for any COG he can get! Earn the Krampus Scion* by getting 200 Kills in Free For All, trackable in your Tour of Duty Medals.

UglyGearsmas-5df7e1c0a9694-1024x1024.jpg

It wouldn't be Gearsmas without some Ugly Sweaters, so why let your weapons miss out on some festive cheer?
Earn the full 18 weapons from the Ugly Gearsmas Weapon Skin set by completing 100 Waves of Jingle Juvies during the Gearsmas event.

GearsmasLogin-5df7da674b204-1024x506.jpg

Horde Special Event
Is there anything that says Gearsmas more than a choir of yelping Juvies?
Jingle Juvies is a 20 wave Horde event that features a lot of Juvies sporting antlers and boss waves featuring a lot of Juvies PLUS standard enemies.
Unfortunately, this year some of the Juvies have misunderstood the whole bauble thing and attached Frags to their back instead. Translation: Get ready for a LOT of Poppers!

For Versus, some of you may be wondering why Snowball Fight isn't making its usual appearance this year.
With the very recent release of Free For All, we feel it's best to keep the focus firmly on this new mode over the holidays – where we'll be joined by new and returning players who may have yet to try FFA in Gears 5.
We have some ideas on where we might take Snowball Fight in the future, but for this year, it's taking a break to let Free For All shine.

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Is there a way to get the daily for winning a Verses match on a certain map without dealing with map rng

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I might just use my free iron on that Barid. I love hivbeuster style.
Also you can see a Sorcher icon in Escape when you get killed frozen

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Just finished up the campaign. Overall had a really good time with it. I think things like using the environment to do damage (dropping icicles on enemies never got old) and a lot of Jack's abilities added a lot of welcome variety to the series' well established gunplay. And while Gears 5 may not be my favorite example of story/writing of the year, I probably enjoyed this one the most of the bunch, and I felt some of the emotional moments hit me a bit harder in this one than they have in past Gears game, perhaps because I felt these characters endeared to me a bit more. I think Kait has been my favorite protagonist of the series so far, and I appreciate their decision to change that up from Gears 4 to 5.

I think one thing that didn't quite click with me was the open world elements. It was fun riding the skiff around, and the secondary missions were decent, but they just didn't feel like they added a whole lot to the game for me (even if they did provide some added lore and world building). I think they were worth doing for the special ability unlocks, but otherwise I think I would have preferred the campaign's pacing a lot more without them.

Overall was definitely a fun ride, and looking forward to seeing where everything goes next in the inevitable Gears 6.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What a cluster fuck FFA is lol. I love it. Maybe a little too many players but I've missed this since Judgement.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Does the Ultimate Edition just contain MP stuff? Was supposed to have the Ultimate Edition with my X, but only the standard version is available (I think Game Pass might be messing with it, because I don't own the game, like I do with the other Gears games, 4 and 5 were just 1 code too, so the code worked). Have no interest in the MP, so wondering if I should bother contacting support.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really want an escape squad to try reaching the 1% to unlock the skins :(

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
fuck I NEED that nutcracker skin

I've already spent most of my iron on the blue-lined Onyx Guard
I probably won't make it far enough in the ToD in time for christmas to get the next 200 to make up the difference

fuckety fuckfuck

maybe if I grind those medals

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
ok first time trying FFA. game #1, win. game #2, second. game #3, win.

probably should have kept going for the Krampus Skin

don't think I ever got a collateral hs with the torque in Gears 4

Last edited:

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
dont know where to put this so im just throwing it in here. cosmetic code that came in with my kait diaz controller
3VRTD-YHM36-CRH4W-GGHRZ

14 day gamepass trial
MC4YK-MK2J2-MDDG9-MFHRP-6WM3Z

xbox live gold, doesnt say how long
NQRXV-HP28W-4CGDQ-W4WR9-C7H4F

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
Hello, so I got just game pass for PC and started playing this game, however for the first time ever I am having screen tearing like bad, and frame drops. I'm averaging anywhere from 80-100 FPS however when it drops it can get as low as 17-20 fps. I don't know what's causing it. I've played The witcher 3 on ultra on my PC, AC Odyssey on ultra too and neither of those had this issue, any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Troll

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Why is it that when I unlock a new skin or whatever I can't equip it immediately? I'm having to close the game and relaunch it.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm glad I have an Xbox and don't have to rely on crossplay. Looks like a significant number of people have that shit turned off. But I honestly can't blame them. Besides some pc people cranking up the fov to comical levels, going back to console after a few days of pc play had the game feel outright sluggish to me already and that's just from way lower fps and higher input lag. Not really a level playing field.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think that the biggest sin with Gears 5 sidequests is that they barely add any kind of world building to the game. Like, they throw some events or data, but feels so soul less, you never have some random NPC asking you to do something, or trying to achieve something different than shooting, there is not even funny sidequests involved, everyhting is just so serious.

Imagine if all the sidequests in a game like Yakuza involved going to point x with no build up and kick someone ass. Mind you, in Yakuza all the sidequests end with some ass kicking, but at least they give you a reason to care for those besides an increase in your stats or something

Zeusy

Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
WA
jcxZBUB.jpg

Can some one help me? IDK how to fix my performance. This game is running like poop for me and Idk how to fix it :/

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
jcxZBUB.jpg

Can some one help me? IDK how to fix my performance. This game is running like poop for me and Idk how to fix it :/
Try putting minimum framerate to zero, I would get weird frame drop/stuttering on my PC until I basically turned that feature off. The game dynamically changes quality and resolution to try and match that framerate at all times, it's more trouble than its worth.

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why I'm getting matched against parties or sweaty teams when I'm a bronze lol. The Gears matchmaking system really makes me question how it works. I got time to dig into the game now so I at least plan on re-upping but damn makes me wonder why a casual would stick around in ranked.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused why I'm getting matched against parties or sweaty teams when I'm a bronze lol. The Gears matchmaking system really makes me question how it works. I got time to dig into the game now so I at least plan on re-upping but damn makes me wonder why a casual would stick around in ranked.

because TC thought it was a good idea to put everyone into Bronze no matter how you performed during the placement matches. they wanted you to "work your way up" this operation.

a braindead decision

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
because TC thought it was a good idea to put everyone into Bronze no matter how you performed during the placement matches. they wanted you to "work your way up" this operation.

a braindead decision
It's always been like that, difference is how much lower they put your visible rank compared to your skill rating, MMR. Gears 4 was 2 subranks, if you were Gold 2 MMR/SR, you'd start out as Silver 3 TSR. Halo 5 is the same, initial CSR is 100 points lower than MMR.

Matchmaking uses MMR/SR to match players. I don't know if there's a limit for skill gap between players, but there is a limit for skill gap between two teams, weaker team needs to have at least 40% chance to win, same as Halo 5 in most playlists. Advantage from playing in party is accounted for, that is why full parties of highly skilled players have a hard time finding matches.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
It's always been like that, difference is how much lower they put your visible rank compared to your skill rating, MMR. Gears 4 was 2 subranks, if you were Gold 2 MMR/SR, you'd start out as Silver 3 TSR. Halo 5 is the same, initial CSR is 100 points lower than MMR.

Matchmaking uses MMR/SR to match players. I don't know if there's a limit for skill gap between players, but there is a limit for skill gap between two teams, weaker team needs to have at least 40% chance to win, same as Halo 5 in most playlists. Advantage from playing in party is accounted for, that is why full parties of highly skilled players have a hard time finding matches.

What do you mean, "it's always been like that". They used to put you 2 tiers below what you were supposed to fit in last operation, but this operation they deliberately put you into Bronze. Bronze ONE that is.

But it doesn't work anyway. I've had quite a few sweaty matches now where we lost and I couldn't really do much to prevent that, yet was punished for playing badly against way better players, and then there's matches were you can twiddle your thumbs and still get hundreds of points. I think the favoring has also been wildly inaccurate every single match so far, but I guess that comes with the territory of putting everyone into fricking Bronze.
I've been having a really bad ranked experience so far. No consistency in matchmaking, quitters almost every match.

I'm also flabbergasted that they no longer show you the ranks of other players after a match like in 4. I don't know what the thought process behind that decision was.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean, "it's always been like that". They used to put you 2 tiers below what you were supposed to fit in last operation, but this operation they deliberately put you into Bronze. Bronze ONE that is.
That's what I said, it has always put you behind your MMR. How much is arbitrary.
I'm also flabbergasted that they no longer show you the ranks of other players after a match like in 4. I don't know what the thought process behind that decision was.
Not showing players ranks is exactly why they can put you wherever. Otherwise you'll have people complaining about matches being unbalanced based on ranks that still haven't reached their actual MMR, which happened/happens all the time in Gears 4 and Halo 5.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everybody being in bronze was a dumb choice but I feel like the skill based matchmaking is Basically the same since they're still using the same shit behind the scenes. I don't even worry about it anymore, I just try to get as close to the top of the Scoreboard as I can, win or lose.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
im done with this game till the rewards are decent and not a grindy ass mess to get. also most of the new maps are trash.
I think map design is the worst it's ever been. really starting to miss Epic's maps now that none of those maps are in the game. Gears 4 was much more tolerable because of those classic iconic maps, they masked the shitty e-sport focused trash TC makes.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I feel like they did alright with Allfathers Arena (though the Longshot is broken on that map) but yeah, most of the starting maps are horrendously bad. Hopefully the next operation actually has 3 really good NEW maps and not more Gears 4 remakes.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually like all the maps except Icebound which is just annoying on all levels, and Exhibit cuz the spawns on KOTH are just fucked. They flip so damn fast and the maps so small it feels like niggas are always coming up behind you.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
I think most of the maps are all right to play, but I don't like the look and design. Most of the locals do absolutely nothing for me. Really boring and not "Gears-like".
And then there's maps like Asylum which simply don't make sense to me. Why do you make an asylum and then make it about fricking trains?

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the next maps was War Machine lol
But I don't see them giving us more than two maps per operation.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ok. This game went from pairing me with fellow sub 30 pings to 100+ ping people.
What the fuck

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Trying Arcade Double Trouble to work on some medals and man it sucks, especially if you get matched up against PC players. PC player with an Embar just wrecking everyone, headshot after headshot. Still remember when people tried to claim there's no KB/M advantage in Gears yet now everyone on Xbox turns crossplay off lol.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Trying Arcade Double Trouble to work on some medals and man it sucks, especially if you get matched up against PC players. PC player with an Embar just wrecking everyone, headshot after headshot. Still remember when people tried to claim there's no KB/M advantage in Gears yet now everyone on Xbox turns crossplay off lol.
Normally it isnt with the sniper rifles as pickups. The faster weapon selection for the event has all but eliminated CQC and Gnasher play. This is what Gears might evolve into in the future and if that happens, I'm out.