• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
So the weekly "What's Up" was cancelled. Any information about TU4 will be delivered in a series of blog posts, supposedly throughout the week (it's already Wednesday though). The store hasn't updated and apparently won't be updated until TU4 releases. TC said there wasn't going to be a new hive this week yet sure enough a new one was there yesterday.

I'm not sure what to make of this studio anymore. Dysfunctional seems like a fitting descriptor.

Edit: Got a little ahead of myself, it's Tuesday not Wednesday. Still though, no real indication of when we're going to hear more other than "over the week ahead."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
So the weekly "What's Up" was cancelled. Any information about TU4 will be delivered in a series of blog posts, supposedly throughout the week (it's already Wednesday though). The store hasn't updated and apparently won't be updated until TU4 releases. TC said there wasn't going to be a new hive this week yet sure enough a new one was there yesterday.

I'm not sure what to make of this studio anymore. Dysfunctional seems like a fitting descriptor.
That's concerning. I know the long-term players are disappearing.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada

I'm just going to keep my head down and soldier on....

OP
OP
Dyashen

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium

GIF_ActiveOmen-5e17774eec16b.gif

In response to that feedback, we set out to build an alternative option for those players who want more screen space visibility when damaged, while ensuring we supported the critical visual feedback needed from our various gameplay systems.

You got your first glimpse of this new potential approach late last year, when Multiplayer Design Director Ryan Cleven put a call out to the community to provide feedback on a 'simple omen' concept our UI team had put together.

Following the positive response, our team got to work bringing it to life alongside further updates to our current Omen (known as the Immersive Omen). Later this month, coming with Title Update 4, you will have the ability to toggle between the brand new Simple Omen and existing Immersive Omen!

For those of you out there who have been waiting for this new Simple Omen – or those of you who just want to give it a whirl – we'd love to hear your feedback once you've played with it after TU4 releases later this month.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Watched through most of the stream today, TU4 is coming the week of the 20th with patch notes on the 20th. Store will refresh next week with older content.

Some other stuff they talked about was that they're working on a lot of ranked and matchmaking changes but they aren't coming soon. They're going to try to release characters more quickly but they still want each individual character release to feel like an event and a celebration of that character so they won't be releasing a bunch of characters all at once. They're working on some more changes to the movement mechanics but it's still a while off. They recognize that Gnasher consistency feels off since operation 2 released but they're still trying to narrow down the issue.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone who doesn't play with the Simple Omen will be at a disadvantage. I wonder how they plan on informing everyone who doesn't follow the news that closely

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I still prefer the new Omen. Only thing I'd change was make it a bit less RED which they appear to be doing.

Immersive_Old99-5e1775303d13d-1024x576.jpg

Immersive_New99-5e177528b8ae1-1024x576.jpg

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

swear this guys gotta be the all-time worst Gears players. Like pls stay in Arcade/Quickplay if you cant even revive or bot walk outta spawn or stay at the hill to fight over 4 seconds and not rotating to next

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

swear this guys gotta be the all-time worst Gears players. Like pls stay in Arcade/Quickplay if you cant even revive or bot walk outta spawn or stay at the hill to fight over 4 seconds and not rotating to next

The matchmaking is just atrociously bad, full stop. I've played a handful of games today and I consistently get people who have no clue what they're doing. They need to get the ranked and matchmaking changes out the door ASAP because this game is hanging on by a thread right now.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas

Quoting this again because I just dealt with the exact same thing. A guy and his guest where his guest had a total of 69 points in the third round of KOTH before they both quit. Why is this even allowed?

Shit is just hard to play with all the issues this game has, most of all the Gnasher being broken and TC admitting they have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quoting this again because I just dealt with the exact same thing. A guy and his guest where his guest had a total of 69 points in the third round of KOTH before they both quit. Why is this even allowed?

Shit is just hard to play with all the issues this game has, most of all the Gnasher being broken and TC admitting they have no idea what's wrong with it or how to fix it.
Just played against a four stack and had a player on my team with 3 kills zero downs. Just run in with the gnasher every time

BUT my team was favored to win(???) so I lost points even when that person quit halfway through the second round(!?!?) so 💩💩💩

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
I just wish I didn't have such a love for Gears as a whole. Like, I've been playing most of the day and it's to the point where I just wish TC wasn't the developer in charge.

The amount of quitters I've seen today is absolutely insane and it's been an issue since the very first day this game came out. Yet, they sit on stream and talk about how they're going to implement such and such solution but it won't be coming any time soon. I can't tell if they're oblivious or if they just don't give a shit. Considering the circumstances of the past 4-5 months I'm starting to think the latter.

Oct 26, 2017

Edit: Got a little ahead of myself, it's Tuesday not Wednesday. Still though, no real indication of when we're going to hear more other than "over the week ahead."
Im a bit worried about the TC imho.
while I love the direction the campaign is going, the multiplayer is getting worse.

While I can't put my finger on it, something bad is happening. and its not just in one spot, its a dozen little things and the big Microtransactions in the corner.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Question about Act II:

When I finally got that para sailing skiff and was asked to find New Hope, after defeating the Warden I saw that there were two paths, one inside a building and another under the bridge. Now, I gave the under bridge segment a look and thought that it was the main way in. And so I skipped it in pursuit of scavenging items.

Welp, once I entered the building, the story continued and I could not go back out. Now that I am out, I can't go back to that place. Is there no way to go back to look for hidden items and components?

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.gears5.com/gnasher-update-jan2020/

TL;DR – Gnasher bullet magnetism was only active at extremely close ranges due to a knock on from TU3, causing less magnetism than usual and making the Gnasher feel more inconsistent. Live fix incoming soon – we'll confirm a final date soon.

TL;DR – Mouse users had no bullet magnetism at all on the Gnasher hip-fire, fixed in TU4

TL;DR – Players can shoot 4 frames early after a weapon switch, causing the barrel to not be in a normal firing position resulting in pellets not travelling as expected. Fixed in an upcoming TU.

Tomash

Oct 25, 2017
Two months of complaining about bullet magnetism, then two months of unknowingly complaining about lack of magnetism. At least everyone learned why it needs to be a thing.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Playing the campaign now in co-op and it's pretty fun, definitely a step up compared to 4. We're playing on experienced and it's challenging enough, some encounters are pretty intense. Don't think I could handle Insane anymore. At Act III ch2 now, just had a big encounter with a Warden fight at the end, was so satisfying when we finally got it.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
man that's a lot of changes to Icebound all at once...
They gotta know everybody hates that map. I ain't seen it voted for in months. Everybody hates the breaking ice, the tower camping, the annoying ass KOTH rings, all that. Good luck getting people to vote for it lol

and yes I'm buying Kantus on day one he is my son

Ballistik

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping the update is a noticeable improvement.

But man, the Gnasher must be one of the guns in any game series that has received the most tweaks and updates to. They literally make multiple updates in every Gears game, always focusing on the shotgun, a gun they just can't figure out and find a sweet spot.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Gnasher definitely feels a lot more consistent at close range. Only side effect I've noticed is you can dish out a lot more damage at range now too. It's a bit jarring at first taking so much damage from ranges where you took very little before.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Hoping the update is a noticeable improvement.

But man, the Gnasher must be one of the guns in any game series that has received the most tweaks and updates to. They literally make multiple updates in every Gears game, always focusing on the shotgun, a gun they just can't figure out and find a sweet spot.

the Gnasher is tricky because it's so intertwined with the movement mechanics. basically changing one tiny aspect of either can break the other. Gib range, wallbouncing, rolling, how fast you can shoot out of running, how fast you can shoot from up-A's, the list goes on.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
My friend and me have run into a nasty bug for our co-op campaign: our Jack upgrades don't load anymore. We just got the shield (close to wrapping up Act 3 I think) and we both can't access any Jack features outside of the shield. Searched and didn't find a guaranteed fix, maybe next time I should host the session and that could fix it? If for instance another door requires the shock trap, we're screwed because we can't switch modes anymore. Quitting and reloading didn't fix it.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
Well this is a first for me. I went into a Golden Gun FFA lobby, won a couple matches in a row and then the whole lobby decided to team up against me. Was actually pretty fun, and I still won that match too since they were essentially lining up for me lol.

Also you get the year of the rat skins for everything except the loadout weapons which are in the shop even though it only lists the golden Boltok as the reward. They're pretty nice looking overall.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
My friend and me have run into a nasty bug for our co-op campaign: our Jack upgrades don't load anymore. We just got the shield (close to wrapping up Act 3 I think) and we both can't access any Jack features outside of the shield. Searched and didn't find a guaranteed fix, maybe next time I should host the session and that could fix it? If for instance another door requires the shock trap, we're screwed because we can't switch modes anymore. Quitting and reloading didn't fix it.

This happened to my friend and I as well. It's been a while since we played, but I think we "sorted" it by having the host play as Jack. Sucks if you don't want to play as him though. This could all be outdated info though.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
This happened to my friend and I as well. It's been a while since we played, but I think we "sorted" it by having the host play as Jack. Sucks if you don't want to play as him though. This could all be outdated info though.
I think we will just soldier through, maybe switching acts will fix it, since we're pretty close to Act 4. If it gets too hard maybe one of us can switch to Jack... This is a really annoying bug though. Looking online it was reported back in september and it's still not fixed apparently.

Oct 26, 2017
So i think I've noticed novice level cheating.

It deals with the smoke grenade/smoke effects on PC players.

Why can they always see you and notice you through it.
Why the kill cam for them shows no smoke, yet you cant see shit.

PC players found someway to remove the smoke texture, and the killcam shows it as gone, because it didnt read it as active on the PC player client side.

The fact this shit is happening in ranked is stupid as fucking shit. jesus this games a fucking mess

just wanted to add, TC on stream casually said they were going to remove the toggle option to disable crossplay.
meaning it will "always be on",

I take that as, their player base is abyssmal and this is the only way to maintain somewhat of a fast ranked matchmaking, which isnt even fast. took 6 minutes to find a match

Last edited:

VKO-GFX

Dec 19, 2017
I've had a lot more bad experiences than good regarding ranked (especially on Gears 4 PC). That's why I stick to private versus/escape/horde with friends and family. I only play ranked (Gears 5 PC) if I'm trying to unlock something.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
So i think I've noticed novice level cheating.

It deals with the smoke grenade/smoke effects on PC players.

Why can they always see you and notice you through it.
Why the kill cam for them shows no smoke, yet you cant see shit.

PC players found someway to remove the smoke texture, and the killcam shows it as gone, because it didnt read it as active on the PC player client side.

The fact this shit is happening in ranked is stupid as fucking shit. jesus this games a fucking mess

just wanted to add, TC on stream casually said they were going to remove the toggle option to disable crossplay.

I take that as, their player base is abyssmal and this is the only way to maintain somewhat of a fast ranked matchmaking, which isnt even fast. took 6 minutes to find a match

I believe the smoke not displaying on the kill cam is a bug. Honestly, the kill cams are really useless, almost to the point where turning it off the settings is for the best. They just never should have added them if they weren't going to make sure they displayed accurately.

As far as being tracked through smoke, if you were marked before it exploded then people can can still see/follow the mark and put shots on you. It happens a lot with power weapons where people think they can smoke it and grab it but they don't realize they were marked and get melted.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Fixed the Jack bug, at least somewhat. After we got to Act 4 I started hosting and we got control of Jack back, but all the final upgrades we did all those sidemissions for were gone. I guess those were tied to my partner's account, dunno.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017

huh

part of me thinks this should be the approach to crossplay in general, since too many people turn it off for no good reason
sad that it's even necessary. it's only because pc players don't want to play these games for whatever reason

but yeah, on console I sometimes get into a lobby within seconds, while it usually takes at least 2 minutes on pc

Oct 26, 2017
I've done a first. I've uninstalled a gears game.

Out of the 5 ranked games I've played today, only 1 didn't have a quitter/afker.

2 had afk for the 6 rounds then played in the 7th.
1 had a quitter In 30 seconds.

1 had a afker fir the full game and a 2 quitters after 3 rounds.

This game is a fucking dissaster.
Implement a 2 week ban on quitters and afkers from ranked.

I really love gears, bit all the bullshit in gears 5 multi has hit my limit

Last edited:

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
not sure how you ban players for their shoddy netcode that boots you from lobbies or when the game crashes on PC (it will).

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Man.... being able to hope into a round of Horde on Insane for 10 or so rounds and then dip out is such a fucking relaxing way to end your day :)
Don't get me wrong, I wish they made a shorter variant of Horde that wasn't 50 rounds, but at least I can still participate, contribute and get some gains.

Good stuff

CrypticSlayer

Oct 27, 2017
Campaign wise Gears 5 is probably my favourite in the series. A lot of the issues typically discussed in here are the MP side. Him leaving I don't think has much of an impact on that side when it's still the same MP leads.