• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Looks like it's a great game, but still not that killer app xbox needs

Fact is they don't need a killer app anymore and they don't want it, Xbox doesn't even have exclusives anymore since everything is on PC too, but most importantly every Microsoft exclusive is on Game Pass on day one, and Game Pass is what they want to sell most of all, so they don't need a Zelda BOTW/The Last of Us 2 kinda of game, they just need good games, like Gears, to keep people into Game Pass.

Oct 26, 2017
18 reviews >90
9 reviews >80
3 reviews with 60/100 70/100 and 73/100

so far on Metacritic.

People need to chill, the whole threads read likes the Crackdown or Days Gone review threads lol

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Seems to be reviewing like a Gears game. Not that that's a bad thing.

I didn't like 4, so hopefully I do like this.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nice scores. That's what I expected, but then some previews had me thinking it could get an 88. Still, it's great that XBox is getting a solid title.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
My personal prediction was around 87-88 even though I suspect that is much closer to 90 level game based on what I have seen, but I can judge for myself after playing it this weekend! I am excited, and it looks absolutely crazy graphically and at 60 FPS campaign on the X.

Feb 10, 2018
I never understood why TLL got such low scores, especially compared to UC4. I remember many reviewers subtracting points because to them it felt and played so much like UC4, and not much new was happening. But TLL wasn't supposed to be UC5, at first it wasn't even supposed to be a stand alone game. Bringing back what all the reviewers loved one year prior in UC4 and even improving upon that in several areas, how can that be worse?

Tll had inferior player encounters and scenarios, they lacked the gameplay variety of UC4.

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I'll tell ya what the problem is. Look at the animations. The roadie run. The rolling. That plonk into cover. Even picking up ammo.

This shit hasn't changed since 2006. It's always going to feel like the same game I played 5 times before, no matter what gimmicks you dress it with.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
Of course people will act like 7 is a low score. Would have been great if the game got a +90? yes, but most reviews agree it's up there with the first trilogy if not even better. What does people even want more than that? I expect that Gamespot review to be bumped to 8 anyway once the final review is up (and IGN please stop using stupid decimal like .8 PLEASE)

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
So for ya'll who read the reviews, can you tell me if they say these open world parts are very long or is most of the campaign taking place in more closed off areas like in previous games? Because if that's the case (and if I end up disliking the open areas) that's not a big deal to me.
Really the entirety of the game takes out place in the classic closed off areas. The open-world sections let you choose to go to some secondary missions, find some different weapons, and fill out some of the story. You can choose to just straight line it to the next objective.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
50% if not more of Gears is multiplayer, it's so important to the franchise.

These reviewers barely or don't mention it at all and still give a score, i find it shocking and so unprofessional!

I think the reality is that a lot of people simply aren't particularly into Gears MP. If you don't really enjoy something, you tend to not put as much time I to it, especially MP modes which don't have the same narrative or environmental reward as campaigns.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
7 from Gamespot seems a bit unfair, the MP alone grants it a solid 8, i still load up Gears 4 MP all the time & 5 looks to be an improvement.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I guessing we should be only taking some of these reviews with the idea they only played the campaign? Some of them don't even mention the new modes which is shocking. I mean escape is like mini L4D mode but doesn't get any mentions. Nothing about multiplayer, horde changes or even the map builder. There can only so much emphasis that can be place on the campaign while there are other modes in place.
I have read multiple reviews that barely mention or do not mention at all the entirety of the MP, it's insanity.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Keep discussing Gamespot's 7 while it's not a final score seems weird, i mean what if it end up 5 or 9 lol.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
The first two rated among the best games ever. I appreciated what they did well at the time, but didn't particularly care for them.
Tried Judgment years after it was released and was like "nah I'm good."
Gears 5 is on Game Pass, so I'm sort of interested to find out what I'll think about this one.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany

That does sounds like it tried to extend the game in a way God of War did and made it open world here and there and bigger but then they just didn't know what to do with this decision and area.
And with that I understand why it's not a 90+ "GOTY" campaign for so many reviewers. (Still giving a final score, what many already did, without the multiplayer is stupid)

Feb 10, 2018
What do you expect. The thread is about reviews of popular game franchise exclusive to system X and all you do is post why it should be more like popular game franchise exclusive to system Y because you like it so much more.

I'm not wrong though, as evident by the review score.
And just in case u or others have not followed my posts I'm talking about how gears can crack 90 mc.

Genio88

Banned
Jun 4, 2018
Who cares about Metacritics, i liked Gears 4 and i played all the games so far, i will definitely enjoy this one a lot too once i'll be done with Astral Chain, only doubt is will it support 21:9 resolution on PC?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
In a world where not even HZD and Spider-Man could break 90, I think Gears would have to have been a complete radical gameplay changing reboot from the ground up to hit 90+ akin to God of War or BotW. And they weren't going to do that at this point at least, because of Gears' fanatical multiplayer community.

I think Ori WotW has a real chance of being their non-FH 90+ game this gen.
This is the one thing I will never understand. Change the gameplay to what exactly? And why should there be a revolution in what Microsoft does with Gears or Halo for a title to really have a 90+ rating?

I have always asked one question i.e. why are you making a change? That leads one to ask how users will interact with the game, especially on titles that have multiplayer embedded on every aspect of how the game plays. Why these games when there are long running titles that have not changed their formula but do not meet the same criticism? Metal Gear? Uncharted? Resident Evil? Devil May Cry?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Fact is they don't need a killer app anymore and they don't want it, Xbox doesn't even have exclusives anymore since everything is on PC too, but most importantly every Microsoft exclusive is on Game Pass on day one, and Game Pass is what they want to sell most of all, so they don't need a Zelda BOTW/The Last of Us 2 kinda of game, they just need good games, like Gears, to keep people into Game Pass.
Game pass isn't a killer app either. This is a nonsensical thought.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
18 reviews >90
9 reviews >80
3 reviews with 60/100 70/100 and 73/100

so far on Metacritic.

People need to chill, the whole threads read likes the Crackdown or Days Gone review threads lol

It's astonishing how no one actually reads the reviews and then latches to whatever low score fits their preconceived narrative!