• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I mean, kudos to the Coalition for managing to find ways to make the Gears formula from over ten years ago still play well enough but the game was always going to be held back by the fact its core loop is still the same loop from 2006. Gears 5 was never going to be a "masterpiece". Nice to see that for those who still love Gears for what it is that this is a great Gears game though with some solid evolution.

I'm kind of desperate to see the series do something almost completely new, personally. I can't see Microsoft ever being willing to risk that core Gears multiplayer fanbase though.

May 13, 2018
12MPgJV.jpg

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
'Gears 5 left my belly nice and fat, and keen for the next course.'

Hah, more reviews should be done in terms of food. It's appealing to me.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Damn, it didn't get a 90+?

Shame. Guess the game isn't good at all.

This is interesting because I certainly have enjoyed games in the 80s BUT it is true that in this age and during a period of time with so many releases, that a game that does get 90+ is probably a surer bet than one that doesn't achieve that. Games are expensive and it's understandable to be wary of games that don't get the very high scores. Basically if it's in the 80s you can probably wait for a sale whereas 90+ might be a can't miss scenario. This doesn't account for hardcore fans of the franchise though as they will get it anyway.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i really think coalition could make a real system seller if they weren't shackled to this tired franchise. let them loose microsoft.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Super hyped to play this. Scores are what I expected before the hype. Looking forward to seeing where this lands with me personally.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
I like the one that says it's a "return to form." 4 was literally as Gears as Gears can get lmao

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Days Gone got really bad reviews and I ended up loving it, I have no doubt it'll be the same for Gears 5 which is getting good reviews so far.

Come on bro, a game with empty worlds, no fast travel, takes 5 minutes from base to the world, the most repetitive game ever existed. Save him, kill him, extract him. Game is finished. Cut scene ending, now repeat all that only harder and you get another scene. Yup, definitely a 9 there.

But the actual gameplay is god-tier, that's the difference.

And I liked having an open world that wasn't just flooded with checklists and pointless collectibles.

MGSV deserved it's scores.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Played through Gears 4, completed some of the road to 5 challenges, and did all of the challenges in the Gears 5 alpha so I can't wait for Friday.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Don't understand the thought that reinventing the formula would alienate the player base because of the MP component.... By this logic fighting games would be identical in their series iterations....

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I still think the point stands - if you want to know about the multiplayer you should go straight to the community for feedback. Not a reviewer who spends 10 hours with it at launch.
Jesus man, the point is they're reviewing the entire game there. They aren't saying a SP only review, this is their full review and it doesn't mention 2/3 of the game. It's ridiculous and indefensible. Would you take a CoD review seriously that doesn't say campaign only and then proceeds to completely ignore the entire MP side of things?

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
This is interesting because I certainly have enjoyed games in the 80s BUT it is true that in this age and during a period of time with so many releases, that a game that does get 90+ is probably a surer bet than one that doesn't achieve that. Games are expensive and it's understandable to be wary of games that don't get the very high scores. Basically if it's in the 80s you can probably wait for a sale whereas 90+ might be a can't miss scenario. This doesn't account for hardcore fans of the franchise though as they will get it anyway.

i really think coalition could make a real system seller if they weren't shackled to this tired franchise. let them loose microsoft.

Doesn't account for Gamepass, irrespective of 'tired' or not. Average Gamer who says they wouldn't try Gears 5 on GamePass is, chances are, lying, or would never have bought it anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems to be about where I expected. A solid follow-up but doesn't reinvent the genre or push storytelling in games forward.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
It's kinda lame imagining the swarm are just standing there chillin on ice, like they are just waiting to be submerged

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why are you making a change to a game? What do those changes add to the game?

Some time back, a friend of mine gave an example of Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2. Tomonobu Itagaki and Team Ninja revamped the counter hold system, they made it very rewarding to play defense. To some degree, it was overpowered. In the very next iteration, they evolved the system, counter holds did a good amount of damage, but nowhere near as much as they did in DoA2. But he also made another change to the game by adding a layer on mid hitting moves where the counter hold for kicks was forward+Free, and Back+Free for punched. That small change added an element of chess to the game where one now either had to make a hard read on combo's that featured mid moves, or they could simply block and see where that went.

In Tekken, they added the bound mechanic in Tekken 6 and became tailspin in Tekken 7. The addition of the low parry combined with these, and the rage drive/art had more and more people inching towards launchers and juggles of launchers. Or on the other extreme, simply poking.

The people that think that this is the same Gears are those that have an agenda. There are small changes that have been made that significantly add to how you can interact with the game. There is the player initiated combat and stealth. I have seen gameplay where someone wandered through a room and through stealth killed off deebee's one at a time. All he had to do was choose a path where he could not be noticed.

I have seen an area where locust two or was it three locust were marked by JD so that Marcus and Kait could deal with them as they focused.on others. There is the added dimension to Jack, improved play by using the environment either by shooting ice or blowing up other things. There is a vastly bigger tactical element to playing career than there has been on any Gears game, so many different situations to how one can now move through a level. That was never the case in previous Gears games. There is also some interaction with NPC's, this is something I would love for them to expand on going forward.....all these things were not there in previous Gears games, but you have people stating that it is the same game.

Those tweaks are bigger than some of the things you mention. And RE7 going first person is simply a change in how we perceive the game, not how we play it. Uncharted adding a rope added more vertical gameplay, but at its core, it was the same Uncharted we have played since last generation.

So, what are people asking for? Why are they asking for it? Is it because it is needed, or is it because they have this fetish to see change for the sake of it?

Edit: And people also have to notice that whatever changes go into these games will affect the multiplayer, not just cooperative game play. There is a good reason why there are very few games that offer a really good campaign, and a stellar multiplayer that will last some years to boot. That shit ain't easy.

I literally answered your question in the very post you're quoting. Please if you can try to actually read and understand people's posts before responding to them. Unless of course you don't know what franchise or gameplay fatigue is, in which case I'll try to break it down in more layman's terms.

Essentially, many people get tired of or bored of the same old thing, so studios and developers often switch things up in more notable ways (such as the examples I gave in my post you responded to), especially if it's a sequel to a franchise that has been around for a while thus has more familiarity or fatigue. Studios/devs do this in order to give gamers more fresh and hopefully fun experiences that ideally don't seem too repetitive, samey or similar to experiences they've had in the past.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More like the last flicker of the Xbox One's dim candle. There won't be any more first party releases of this magnitude until Scarlett comes out.

Well duh. I said Xbox's first party, not Xbox One's. Xbox's first party revival will be centered on Scarlett. We've known this for years.

Mar 29, 2018
I mean, kudos to the Coalition for managing to find ways to make the Gears formula from over ten years ago still play well enough but the game was always going to be held back by the fact its core loop is still the same loop from 2006. Gears 5 was never going to be a "masterpiece". Nice to see that for those who still love Gears for what it is that this is a great Gears game though with some solid evolution.

I'm kind of desperate to see the series do something almost completely new, personally. I can't see Microsoft ever being willing to risk that core Gears multiplayer fanbase though.
The same is true of literally hundreds, maybe even thousands of games/series. Good design and longevity isnt predicated on the core loop alone.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Eh I tho k it's more people that aren't fans of a series are asking for the series to be something different instead of just accepting they don't like it. I don't like souls games, it would be silly for me to say "they need to revamp the movement and add actual story into the game" etc, when those are staples of the game design. It's just not for me and I'm fine with that
It is a lack of understanding of how the game is designed to work.

You hear nonsense like there needs to be a change to the move, stop and shoot mechanic, a change to movement. Why would a game that is designed as a cover based shooter change its core gameplay loop? When you ask what changes people want and how they think it would expand on the game, most won't bother articulating.

You are right, sometimes people simply need to move on to something else. I will watch a few friends play turn based RPG's; they are not my cup of tea, so I never even bother talking about the gameplay on these. I will be there for the story though.

ron_bato

Oct 25, 2017
Scores are about where I expected it to be, and I'm glad to see Gears try and mix things up in a meaningful way after feeling largely underwhelmed with Gears 4.