• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Yep..with(currently) 34 positive scores and 3 mixed, there is definitely something wrong
The game being good or bad was never the point of my posts but people like to see trolling or haterism even when he's not there, not my fault if people get obsessed by a legit criticism that nothing have to do with the global scores for the game.

A lot of games feels samey and have great score.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
He doesn't take a prophet but when i said that people still jumped on me like i was a hater...

Do people jump on another people when their opinions are the same or at least understandable?!

Strange...

Also if this is a normal thing, why reviews are kinda whining about this? Maybe i'm not the only one who was expecting maybe some more changes in the formula.

I was not talking about revolution, but when a game feels basically the same after 6 games mayne there is actually something wrong with it, just my 2 cents.
Well it's comnon knowledge after gears judgment that people, critics included, do NOT like when an established franchise veers away from its core mechanics that it's known for. Look at halo 4 and cod infinite warfare for proof. I kindve feel like if you never liked gears formula you probably shouldn't review a gears game. Kind of nonsensical to have a shooting game that doesn't play like any other shooter that's ever existed to change its formula for the sake of doing so instead of building on it foundation. I promise the CoD MW reviews are going to praise how the gunplay is just a beefier version of the og MW games (which imo is GREAT thing to me) and critics are going to lap it up, I'll bet money on that happening. Lol same with borderlands 3, betting those both will get passes, especially bl3 that shit is identical to the other borderlands games.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
why are you trying to turn the positive statements of the reviewers into a negative?
I'm not trying to turn anything, being samey is a plus for someone and a negative for someone else, and you can clearly see that in these reviews, for some the gears formula is perfect, some reviewers get a little fatigued and they point that out even if the review is globally positive, have you read any review at all or you just read the scores??

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I'm ready. I don't typically play multiplayer mode in shooters. and Horde mode is the one exception. Hyped to play this on the 1X.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
It should be noted that the median reviews are in the low 90's. As a data and analytics guy, median is a better measure than average as average is too heavily impacted by outliers....especially when measuring numbers that are near the upper or lower limits of a scale.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
It is baffling to me how anyone could play these massive open world levels with absolutely nothing in them and then think this is the best Gears of War game.

I've been glad to hear (at least in the reviews I've had a chance to read) that the open setting adds a lot, and doesn't feel half-hearted. Since the territories are (physically) designed to look/feel interesting all on their own, I can appreciate game design that doesn't just fill every inch with incidental tasks. I think I've had enough narrative-based open world games that compromise their own pacing by having too many of those side-tasks fight for your attention.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
It should be noted that the median reviews are in the low 90's. As a data and analytics guy, median is a better measure than average as average is too heavily impacted by outliers....especially when measuring numbers that are near the upper or lower limits of a scale.

Yeah, median is always preferable to mean, but folks need their averages!!!!

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Well it's comnon knowledge after gears judgment that people, critics included, do NOT like when an established franchise veers away from its core mechanics that it's known for. Look at halo 4 and cod infinite warfare for proof. I kindve feel like if you never liked gears formula you probably shouldn't review a gears game. Kind of nonsensical to have a shooting game that doesn't play like any other shooter that's ever existed to change its formula for the sake of doing so instead of building on it foundation. I promise the CoD MW reviews are going to praise how the gunplay is just a beefier version of the og MW games (which imo is GREAT thing to me) and critics are going to lap it up, I'll bet money on that happening. Lol same with borderlands 3, betting those both will get passes, especially bl3 that shit is identical to the other borderlands games.
My original point was not to trasform the core of gow, i love the core, it was more a refresh thing to eliminate that samey feelings.
My original example was unchy4, the core is the same but nate moves and shoot in a very different way compared to unchy3, i was hoping for something similar for gears5 (and i don't even like unchy4 as a game in general)
(just to be clear i'm not saying that gears protagonist has to move exactly like unchy protagonist)

Last edited:

Xiofire

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely love Gears and these scores are great to see.

Can't wait to jump in tomorrow! Got Friday off to focus entirely on the campaign.

Paragraf

May 31, 2019
Russia
Do you guys know, that there are texts in this reviews, with words and arguments, on why certain person liked/disliked certain things, and you can read a couple, some positive, some negative, so you can form your decision of buying/not buying the game based on what this game is, and not because the score is 4 points lower then you expected?

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017

Better than that is to figure the standard deviation. Gives you a better picture of how reviewers generally felt, and allows you to see how abnormal individual reviews are.

Apr 6, 2018
averages are important when there are factions, like no one cared about rotten tomatoes for movies, or at least not the average audience, until MCU vs DC started

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I should clarify: the review quotes told me that it was more of the same and not a revolutionary change like God of War that would have pulled me in. I played Gears 4 a few months after release and did not feel like I missed out on the launch hype then. A 90+ score is most of the times a revolutionary title when it is a long running series, so that is the trigger for me. I understand that I am an idiot for doing this... I should look into Gamepass...

Oct 25, 2017
Calgary, AB
I'm surprised anyone that isn't a developer hoping for a Metacritic bonus for 90+ thinks about a 4% difference, let alone that it's any kind of sign that the game will or won't be worth their time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
I've been glad to hear (at least in the reviews I've had a chance to read) that the open setting adds a lot, and doesn't feel half-hearted. Since the territories are (physically) designed to look/feel interesting all on their own, I can appreciate game design that doesn't just fill every inch with incidental tasks. I think I've had enough narrative-based open world games that compromise their own pacing by having too many of those side-tasks fight for your attention.
This is the guy that gave it by far the worst review.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I should clarify: the review quotes told me that it was more of the same and not a revolutionary change like God of War that would have pulled me in. I played Gears 4 a few months after release and did not feel like I missed out on the launch hype then. A 90+ score is most of the times a revolutionary title when it is a long running series, so that is the trigger for me. I understand that I am an idiot for doing this... I should look into Gamepass...

I would. I wasn't having a pop or anything. Christ, one of my favourite ever films is Hudson Hawk so what the chuff do I know?

Oct 27, 2017
The World
It is baffling to me how anyone could play these massive open world levels with absolutely nothing in them and then think this is the best Gears of War game.

eaCieVl.gif

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
looks like that big pre-load on gamepass was worth it. Crazy I have 1 and a half years of GP for a one time payment of $5 lol.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The game has a nearly identical meta to Spider-Man, a game this forum calls a (Ugh) GOAT and one of the best games of last year, but this review thread feels VERY different in tone.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
Wow 2 Euro for 2 months of Gamepass. Do I need to pay for Xbox Live Gold extra? Can I cancel at any time? When can I play Gears5? Gamepass is not streaming, but can be played locally right? Sorry for the many questions...

IRECLAIMER117

Banned
May 4, 2019
What's baffling is your complete lack of knowledge of the series and bias and yet you're allowed to have an impact on the job the staff at the coalition put into making their game.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Wow 2 Euro for 2 months of Gamepass. Do I need to pay for Xbox Live Gold extra? Can I cancel at any time? When can I play Gears5? Gamepass is not streaming, but can be played locally right? Sorry for the many questions...

No, it's included in Game Pass Ultimate (make sure you get Ultimate if you want to play Gears starting tomorrow)

Yes

Tomorrow, if you have Ultimate

Yes