• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I was just slightly bummed that this awesome looking game didn't hit the 90 Metacritic. As an engineer though I would agree with someone earlier that the median is really a better way to look at these scores than the mean (average) so that you drop stupid scores like the 6 from UsGamer. The median would be 90 for this and Spider-Man which sounds about right to me.

But then my oldest boy showed his wisdom by saying that 86 is awesome for the game and it looks incredible regardless of a few points here or there :) I am still full blown hype mode for this one, as it looks flat out incredible to me with all of the awesome content and jaw dropping 4K HDR graphics at 60 FPS to boot! I think that you would struggle to find an overall game package out there with the level of AAA polish in a campaign at 4K 60 FPS and all of the multiplayer modes. Oh, I get to play as Dave Bautista later in September too :)

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Your tracks in the snow/sand appear to be dynamic. The weather is fixed as far as I can tell.

Took me about 12.5 hours to complete campaign.

As for the ending...

12.5 hours sounds absolutely perfect for this. Planning to knock it out this weekend maybe.

Not surprised about the story. I mean, it's Gears. I expected some big reveal in 3 and I remember it being basically nothing so it seems pretty easy to mostly gloss over the minute to minute and overarching story beats at this point.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
Was Gears 4 the start of a new trilogy? Like, if I jump in with five despite not playing a Gears game for probably close to a decade, am I gonna have a bad time?

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tbf I've seen a ton of "86 is a great score, calm down you fanboys!" posts
And almost no one saying 86 is a bad score

That tends to happen in every review thread though. Tons of posts bemoaning how everyone is freaking out, while no one is freaking out.
Lol right? Like I haven't seen anyone freaking out because it's too low. A couple people are mildly disappointed maybe but that's it. It's more concern trolls from people who seemingly never had an interest in the game to begin with who suddenly were *very worried* that MS didn't get it to 90+. The vast majority of people seem pretty pleased with the results.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Was Gears 4 the start of a new trilogy? Like, if I jump in with five despite not playing a Gears game for probably close to a decade, am I gonna have a bad time?
You will want to at least seek out gears 4 cutscenes and the ending as it really does roll in to Gears 5.

Aside from Act 1 of Gears 4 it's really good :)

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017

It's like seeing The Last Jedi without watching The Force Awakens. 4 introduces new characters and the ending directly sets up the story for 5.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Where's that guy that was taking a ban if it scored similar to Gears 4?

I was never taking a ban. I said I wouldn't post in the month of September. But it's irrelevant considering Gears 5 has scored higher than Gears 4 as I said it would.

Wheres that guy that was said it was impossible for this to score under Gears 4 lmao

Sitting comfortably right here. 86 > 84.

Gamespot review so weird. If you read it it sounds great and then they drop a 70 for SP.
I mean they can do what they want. But as always with reviews there are some odd ones.

EDn8Q0JXkAEBKEK

I don't feel like there's anything weird about it. Those two negatives are huge. A game feeling like a rehash and petering out after Act 2 sounds like a 7 at best (in that reviewer's opinion).

I'm disappointed that it doesn't have a 90-metacritic but that's an irrational disappointment. The game will likely (from what I've seen) be a game of the gen experience from me. Will play it this weekend and hopefully enjoy it. And having said that, 85 metacritic is a very good score.

Heh. Yeah, I could tell from the start you were setting yourself up for disappointment. I definitely don't see Gears 5 as a Game of the Gen candidate, but we'll see once I've played.

Still not a single negative review, that's pretty damn impressive, but the day is young...

I'm expecting another drop to 85 before eventually settling on 87.

It's actually not that uncommon or impressive of a feat for games in that Metacritic range - especially considering that Gears 5 has so few reviews at the moment.

scaryrobots

Oct 27, 2017
Doing Robot things
I know this is a joke, but this perception is very real. People have been conditioned to view narrative 3rd person action adventures as the pinnacle, the Oscar bait of gaming, and shooters are for the unwashed.

As someone who came from the Quake era of gaming I find this to be so fucking lame. Out side of fromsoft I don't think I've beaten a 3rd person action adventure in a long time.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
It does have a previously on Gears segment to catch up. 4 wasn't the most eventful game plot-wise so it could work to catch someone up.

I know but you don't get the same sense of the characters just watching a 5 minute overview. Again, I wouldn't do that for a film either. There's not a tonne plot wise but I did like a lot of the banter.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watching the GB quick look, the open world is really disappointing. What is the point of it at all if it's just big empty open space with nothing to encounter.

Why not Brute chopper battles like Halo 3 or mad max style ambushes. Or more curiosity's to find and discover like breath of the wild.

It just seems like it's irritating now than anything. Blindly driving from one place to the next with nothing in between.

I'm really scratching my head.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Good score, looks like a fun game. Hope it comes to gamepass PC.

The comments on USGamer's article(on their site)...is something.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
I haven't read all this thread and others may have pointed this out, but....

86 Metacritic (Gears 5) = shit.
87 Metacritic (Spiderman) = amazing

I think that's the gist of it......

I think the expectations were different. The spiderman ip was down in the dumps and recieved a fantastic revival.

Gears of War was a premier IP that is now not receiving universal acclaim. Some ppl will Express the same concern if TLOU part 2 for example receives an 86 score.

Not saying it is right but I think that's why the reactions are different.

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
I think the expectations were different. The spiderman ip was down in the dumps and recieved a fantastic revival.

Gears of War was a premier IP that is now not receiving universal acclaim. Some ppl will Express the same concern if TLOU part 2 for example receives an 86 score.

So basically unless xbox 1st party receives universal acclaim it's a failure but Sony 1st party is just a masterpiece regardless of score. Premier IP means absolutely shit if your someone who never liked a game in a franchise series which you really get the idea some if these reviewers never did.

Toriko

Banned
Dec 29, 2017
So basically unless xbox 1st party receives universal acclaim it's a failure but Sony 1st party is just a masterpiece regardless of score. Premier IP means absolutely shit if your someone who never liked a game in a franchise series which you really get the idea some if these reviewers never did.

I literally said if TLOU 2 gets an 86 ppl here will unfortunately be disappointed. That is the way it unfortunately is with big ips. It sucks some ppl think that way but it is what it is. Better to just ignore them.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
Hands down the best console that I have ever owned from anyone, and I have pretty much bought them all from all the platform holders :) This game is going to look insane and play amazing at 60 FPS on the X for sure.
The only reason I haven't bought one yet is because of my ridiculous backlog and we're really late in the generation. I'm also hesitant because I'm quite sure that the next Xbox will be backward compatible. But Game Pass and the X revision seem amazing

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017

I agree for the most part. I think Gears being a MS-exclusive property has also something to do with the narrative. Yes, Spiderman was exclusive as well, but Xbox is currently playing on the defense with their exclusive games whereas Sony is flourishing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
86 is amazing. Will try this ty Gamepass. Also idk why people are upset about the review score? spiderman is 87.. 1 pt way and it still did well.
Oh Spiderman did more than "well", #2 GOTY here and 12+ million copies sold. If Gears 5 have a shot at doing that well it'll go into the history books.
Personally I still expect meta 71 Days Gone to come out on top here though, because of... reasons, but it'll be very interesting to hear MS talk about the player count this time, I know from friends that Gears 5 being on Steam day 1 will get in new players, PC only gamers are actually excited too this time.

And personally I haven't been this excited by a Gears game since 1, every reviewer so far that I care about has given it a 9! And this is just for the single player, which is my thing, no multiplayer crap has been boosting the score this time. Preload is done on both PC and the X, can't wait to jump in!

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I ain't even mad about it not hitting 90. That was my opinion and I still stand by it.

That said Doom not hitting 90 IS a crime. That was the best FPS this gem hands down you clowns.

Yes I'm still salty about it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
A lot more reviews are still to come. This thread will get worse when the final score settles at 83-85.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I ain't even mad about it not hitting 90. That was my opinion and I still stand by it.

That said Doom not hitting 90 IS a crime. That was the best FPS this gem hands down you clowns.

Yes I'm still salty about it.
lol yeah sometimes you really don't understand what some reviewers are moaning about. Ori sitting at meta 88 while being the top 5 best games of all time is a mystery as well.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
A question, I subscribe to Xbox Ultimate or whatever it's called and it says that Gears 5 Ultimate edition becomes available today, the 5th but when I start it it says that it's not out yet? So I'm I getting it the 5th or the 10 like everybody else?

Edit; I saw that it becomes available on September 5th at 9 pm.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
I'm never a huge fan of saying things like this. 86 is a great score, it was also a great score 10 years ago. I wouldn't try and make excuses when there doesn't need to be any.
I agree than an 86 a decade was good. But the context of what an 86 in 2009 versus an 86 now for a mainline Gears Of War game is where things get interesting in my opinion.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Where's that guy that was taking a ban if it scored similar to Gears 4?
You started celebrating way too early.

I agree than an 86 a decade was good. But the context of what an 86 in 2009 versus an 86 now for a mainline Gears Of War game is where things get interesting in my opinion.

Nah. The only proper context is comparing what the last game in the franchise scored. And looking at how shooters are rated on Metacritic, where it seems Single player, story driven games are usually rated higher than SP/MP shooters.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
I believe if you change your region to New Zealand and restart your xbox you will be able to play at 2 AM PT but only if you have it on game pass otherwise it will not work.

This is correct. With Gamepass Ultimate, you can change the systems region to New Zealand and I will unlock at 2am pacific time.

Edit: if I change my region to New Zealand to unlock it early, will I be able to play multiplayer? Will I be stuck playing with players in that region until I switch it back?