• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
After that great three games, this series became a horrible mess and couldn't go beyond the expansion pack image. There's nothing interesting about it anymore. They need to stop or make a fresh, serious start.
XD Where are these hot takes coming from? There's nothing about Gears 5 that says "expansion pack", except for those people who expected this to somehow become like a detective noir or something lol. It's a Gears game.. that evolves the formula.. and clearly generally succeeds at doing it according to these reviews.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
This is somewhat lower than my prediction of 200.

It's alright, these lower scoring outlets still have time to get some sense and give the GOAT it's due.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
This stupid brouhaha kerfuffle over scores and whatnot is almost nostalgic. Is that why people are doing it?

Feb 10, 2018
I'd say more like The Division. Gears 4 felt sooo clunky after playing a solid amount of hours in TD1 and 2. Hopefully Gears 5 plays better.

Yes. The rodeo run and cover was cool for a while, but games have moved on, you don't need a heavy rodeo run for the same feel, and other TPSs have a much better and dynamic feel.

SlipperyMoose

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For some reason metacritic links frequently don't work it load properly on my iPhone using chrome. Anyone else experience that?

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
And to absolutely no surprise, this thread is already an embarrassment. Console warring everywhere. Calling it a flop. Since when was a game rated in the 80s a flop? Maybe play the game for yourself before calling it a flop. It's like all people do in today's world is read reviews and call it without ever bothering to actually experience it for themselves.
It's not bad, but it's definitely disappointing. Microsoft's first party stable really needs a standout title. And given the chances at it are few and far between (or have been over the last few years given limited AAA releases), it's particularly disappointing when another one fails to meet that standard. It's also particularly disappointing because Sony and Nintendo's first party efforts have been on a hot streak, and have fairly consistently reached higher standards. People like me just want to see Gears or Halo achieve something on the level of GOW 2018 or Zelda BOTW, basically. Does it need to? I guess not, but it sure would be rad.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
I'll tell ya what the problem is. Look at the animations. The roadie run. The rolling. That plonk into cover. Even picking up ammo.

This shit hasn't changed since 2006. It's always going to feel like the same game I played 5 times before, no matter what gimmicks you dress it with.

Lol. This is hilarious.

No matter how you change those animations, you'll still be hit with the same comments in reviews.

"It plays like Gears"

People keep complaining about familiarity when there's limited room to change. It's a third person cover shooter, and you can't drastically change things up without ruining your customer base and alienating fans. It's as simple as that.

Looks like reviewers pretty much reserve honors for predominantly story driven, SP games.

How many shooters have crossed the 90% benchmark this gen?

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
XD Where are these hot takes coming from? There's nothing about Gears 5 that says "expansion pack", except for those people who expected this to somehow become like a detective noir or something lol. It's a Gears game.. that evolves the formula.. and clearly generally succeeds at doing it according to these reviews.

This.

No other game plays like gears. Why the fuck would they change that? Make a new IP if they want to change how gears plays. There are enough people - myself including - who still year for that sweet gears gameplay. Makes no sense to deviate too much from that and I love the changes they have done for 5 so far. Just hope the MP maps all play well.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
Yes. The rodeo run and cover was cool for a while, but games have moved on, you don't need a heavy rodeo run for the same feel, and other TPSs have a much better and dynamic feel.

Yep. Running is super awkward. Jumping over cover is too and picking up ammo is old ass shit nobody wants. Throwing grenades is clunky too. I have so many issues with TD2s loot system but the game plays so well. Gears needs to get better no excuses.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
so now that the first rush of reviews are out it seems that by and large yes, you should definitely play this game.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah I remember a couple of the scenes where you'd kick a door open and you get the Psycho shower sound effect and a couple of hung bodies or a massacre. Wonder what would happen if they ramped the difficulty back up to 1's too.
I only played first gears back in the day and it was pretty challenging and i am getting this one, but are you saying each game was getting easier and easier?

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone mention how this runs on the Xbox One OLD? I'm thinking it'll run ok, but I'm a bit worried.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Really the entirety of the game takes out place in the classic closed off areas. The open-world sections let you choose to go to some secondary missions, find some different weapons, and fill out some of the story. You can choose to just straight line it to the next objective.

Music to my ears then. Have absolutely no problem with that! Had the whole thing been mostly open world however....but it's not. Great!

Thanks =)

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Looking at the reviews so far...I just think to myself, WHAT THE HELL DO PEOPLE WANT FROM THE GEARS FRANCHISE? From what I have watched and read, it has everything in it and it runs at 60fps with amazing graphics? It's play anywhere, it is in Gamepass on PC and Xbox, it plays amazingly, it has tons of content, both single and multiplayer....

Last edited:

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
If higher reviews translate into better sales....

Companies should make sure a review isn't out until reviewers get to play the multiplayer.

The multiplayer should or could add up to .3 to .5 on scores.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by trolling.
Damn MS should be ashamed at this. Back to the drawing board.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
The people crying bout the crying are just as bad when half of them are just latching onto the one random post saying it's a flop.

Feb 10, 2018
I agree that traversal has gotten better in general, but I love the roadie run. It makes Gears, well, Gears for me.

Then that's all it will ever be. And will never get really high review scores.

People still really like guitar hero and call of duty.
Call of duty is quite the anomaly, but it has not been immune to the same issues.