• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
It felt like after the preview thread people ramped up their expectations and thought this was going to be 2019's God of Celeste: Odyssey in terms of critical reception.
To be fair.. it's not far off. Multiple full score reviews and a 85 MC/OC is certainly very very good. It's the vagaries of math that if a few sites don't like it, you're not going to get a 90. And not even just sites, individual people. If Mike Mahardy had written the GameSpot review, that might well have shifted the score, for example. Regardless, at the top end of the scale, it's really less about how many people liked it and much more about how badly the outliers disliked it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dammit Judgment was a good game. Stop hating on Judgement.
giphy.gif

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Because franchise and gameplay fatigue is a thing. Also, the foundation of some games simply lend better to iteration and sequels than others.

To your point, MGSV, RE7 and UC4 all offered pretty notable changes in their subsequent releases. MGS went fully open world, RE7 went first person, and UC4 added open ended environments as well as gameplay tweaks that changed up environmental and combat mobility, not to mention a complete overhaul of gunplay. Even DMC5, whilst iterative, still has you playing as 3 completely different characters with entirely different gameplay mechanics.
Why are you making a change to a game? What do those changes add to the game?

Some time back, a friend of mine gave an example of Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2. Tomonobu Itagaki and Team Ninja revamped the counter hold system, they made it very rewarding to play defense. To some degree, it was overpowered. In the very next iteration, they evolved the system, counter holds did a good amount of damage, but nowhere near as much as they did in DoA2. But he also made another change to the game by adding a layer on mid hitting moves where the counter hold for kicks was forward+Free, and Back+Free for punched. That small change added an element of chess to the game where one now either had to make a hard read on combo's that featured mid moves, or they could simply block and see where that went.

In Tekken, they added the bound mechanic in Tekken 6 and became tailspin in Tekken 7. The addition of the low parry combined with these, and the rage drive/art had more and more people inching towards launchers and juggles of launchers. Or on the other extreme, simply poking.

The people that think that this is the same Gears are those that have an agenda. There are small changes that have been made that significantly add to how you can interact with the game. There is the player initiated combat and stealth. I have seen gameplay where someone wandered through a room and through stealth killed off deebee's one at a time. All he had to do was choose a path where he could not be noticed.

I have seen an area where locust two or was it three locust were marked by JD so that Marcus and Kait could deal with them as they focused.on others. There is the added dimension to Jack, improved play by using the environment either by shooting ice or blowing up other things. There is a vastly bigger tactical element to playing career than there has been on any Gears game, so many different situations to how one can now move through a level. That was never the case in previous Gears games. There is also some interaction with NPC's, this is something I would love for them to expand on going forward.....all these things were not there in previous Gears games, but you have people stating that it is the same game.

Those tweaks are bigger than some of the things you mention. And RE7 going first person is simply a change in how we perceive the game, not how we play it. Uncharted adding a rope added more vertical gameplay, but at its core, it was the same Uncharted we have played since last generation.

So, what are people asking for? Why are they asking for it? Is it because it is needed, or is it because they have this fetish to see change for the sake of it?

Edit: And people also have to notice that whatever changes go into these games will affect the multiplayer, not just cooperative game play. There is a good reason why there are very few games that offer a really good campaign, and a stellar multiplayer that will last some years to boot. That shit ain't easy.

PlayerOne

Apr 16, 2018
Cant wait to play the game. Loved the original trilogy, for their dark aesthetics and hopelessness. The new games are kinda lacking in that department but it still should be a lot of fun. Horde is gonna consume my time. Does anyone know if the progression is similiar to gears 3 with medals and unlocking things through challenges? Are there any cool deals on gamepass now? Dont know if i should just buy it normally cause im probably going to be playing this for a long time.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
And to absolutely no surprise, this thread is already an embarrassment. Console warring everywhere. Calling it a flop. Since when was a game rated in the 80s a flop? Maybe play the game for yourself before calling it a flop. It's like all people do in today's world is read reviews and call it without ever bothering to actually experience it for themselves.

That's the whole point of reviews Chief, to get a metric of how that experience is like BEFORE you throw down your hard earned dollars and invest in that experience. I for one like to be informed instead of blindly going in and then possibly regretting said purchase. That's just not a smart decision making by any means. It's ike going to a car dealership and purchasing a car blindly without doing any research about what it is you are getting and then driving it home but realize its not a good fit or doesn't have enough power or style for your liking.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
So something like Gears 5 is doing? I mean, "open ended" is really not true, anyway, for UC4. It was still point to point in the end.

So something like Gears 5 is doing? At least what I could see in the footage.

Not really sure about that but then again, gunplay was hardly ever an issue with Gears anyways.
From every review that I've read, Gears "open maps" approach was a negative, because it ended up being boring as fuck.
Uncharted open maps improved the combat encounters by a huge margin. The ennhanced mobility added to that.

Gears 5 seems to have nothing on that. Reviews are saying that although you go from one area to the other in open spaces, once you get there it's the usual formula of peek-a-boo behind barriers

I wanted this game to be different, but from the gameplay videos you could see that it was not as different as people were imagening it to be

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
You're wrong about that. MGSV deserved a 9.

Kinda seems like reviews might be people's opinions rather than a grand conspiracy.

Come on bro, a game with empty worlds, no fast travel, takes 5 minutes from base to the world, the most repetitive game ever existed. Save him, kill him, extract him. Game is finished. Cut scene ending, now repeat all that only harder and you get another scene. Yup, definitely a 9 there.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Uncharted did it successfully? Those parts of 4 and LL were mediocre at best and really added nothing to the experience. They must really suck in Gears 5 if that's the case.

I hope the open world sections of Gears 5 aren't long, because the reason I didn't go back to UC4 and LL is because of those open world sections. I'd rather just have cut scenes than go through that empty crap again.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Scores lower than I thought but still really good. I've never disliked any Gears game, even though Judgment got annoying, so I think I'll probably love this one.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
After that Versus beta, I'm all in for the multiplayer. Pretty scant details on it in the reviews though. The multiplayer proves that the gameplay they have is practically perfect though I love some of the additions they've made and the tweaks to active reload.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I traded in Gears 4 because of how boring it was and that game got pretty good reviews too. Now that I think about it most of them have been well reviewed but I can't remember enjoying one for a really long time. Maybe this ip isn't for me.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Come on bro, a game with empty worlds, no fast travel, takes 5 minutes from base to the world, the most repetitive game ever existed. Save him, kill him, extract him. Game is finished. Cut scene ending, now repeat all that only harder and you get another scene. Yup, definitely a 9 there.
Every game is repetitive, but only MGSV has the greatest gameplay in the history of gaming.

Shouldn't you be sticking to the topic here instead of peddling conspiracy theories about corrupt games journalists?

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you making a change to a game? What do those changes add to the game?

Some time back, a friend of mine gave an example of Dead or Alive to Dead or Alive 2. Tomonobu Itagaki and Team Ninja revamped the counter hold system, they made it very rewarding to play defense. To some degree, it was overpowered. In the very next iteration, they evolved the system, counter holds did a good amount of damage, but nowhere near as much as they did in DoA2. But he also made another change to the game by adding a layer on mid hitting moves where the counter hold for kicks was forward+Free, and Back+Free for punched. That small change added an element of chess to the game where one now either had to make a hard read on combo's that featured mid moves, or they could simply block and see where that went.

In Tekken, they added the bound mechanic in Tekken 6 and became tailspin in Tekken 7. The addition of the low parry combined with these, and the rage drive/art had more and more people inching towards launchers and juggles of launchers. Or on the other extreme, simply poking.

The people that think that this is the same Gears are those that have an agenda. There are small changes that have been made that significantly add to how you can interact with the game. There is the player initiated combat and stealth. I have seen gameplay where someone wandered through a room and through stealth killed off deebee's one at a time. All he had to do was choose a path where he could not be noticed.

I have seen an area where locust two or was it three locust were marked by JD so that Marcus and Kait could deal with them as they focused.on others. There is the added dimension to Jack, improved play by using the environment either by shooting ice or blowing up other things. There is a vastly bigger tactical element to playing career than there has been on any Gears game, so many different situations to how one can now move through a level. That was never the case in previous Gears games. There is also some interaction with NPC's, this is something I would love for them to expand on going forward.....all these things were not there in previous Gears games, but you have people stating that it is the same game.

Those tweaks are bigger than some of the things you mention. And RE7 going first person is simply a change in how we perceive the game, not how we play it. Uncharted adding a rope added more vertical gameplay, but at its core, it was the same Uncharted we have played since last generation.

So, what are people asking for? Why are they asking for it? Is it because it is needed, or is it because they have this fetish to see change for the sake of it?
Eh I tho k it's more people that aren't fans of a series are asking for the series to be something different instead of just accepting they don't like it. I don't like souls games, it would be silly for me to say "they need to revamp the movement and add actual story into the game" etc, when those are staples of the game design. It's just not for me and I'm fine with that

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not real thrilled about what I'm hearing regarding the open world areas, nothing i despise more than games going open world just because they feel they need too.

I was nervous reading the previews that this would be the case and when I shared that concern people here didn't like that.

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
MP is still a designed thing. Absolutely reviewable, absurd to suggest otherwise, it's just different to SP. The undervaluing of MP by some on Era is really weird.
i didnt undervalue anything, most outlets seem to be super single player focused and the people they choose to review the games are aswell, so i think that their opinions on the matter are not super relevant to me, maybe they are to you and that's fine aswell

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
That's the whole point of reviews Chief, to get a metric of how that experience is like BEFORE you throw down your hard earned dollars and invest in that experience. I for one like to be informed instead of blindly going in and then possibly regretting said purchase. That's just not a smart decision making by any means. It's ike going to a car dealership and purchasing a car blindly without doing any research about what it is you are getting and then driving it home but realize its not a good fit or doesn't have enough power or style for your liking.

Informed is one thing. Completely writing it off and calling it a flop is another. I've enjoyed countless movies that have terrible scores on rottentomatoes. Same with games.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Not real thrilled about what I'm hearing regarding the open world areas, nothing i despise more than games going open world just because they feel they need too.

I was nervous reading the previews that this would be the case and when I shared that concern people here didn't like that.

But apparently majority of the game is still tight, linear areas, so don't worry :)

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
i didnt undervalue anything, most outlets seem to be super single player focused and the people they choose to review the games are aswell, so i think that their opinions on the matter are not super relevant to me, maybe they are to you and that's fine aswell

Sorry, I was tying your sentiment to the wider thing on Era which, prejudicially imo, often dismisses MP as though a lesser thing in terms of game design etc. I think this rests on a false dichotomy.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
After watching a couple of reviews, the game looks awesome, can't wait to play it. However, I think, overall reception would be better if they would have improved animation. Hopefully, they will for the next entry. Halo already had it's extended time in the oven, now it's time for Gears.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018
Wait some reviewers are ignoring the horde and the multiplayer modes ? what fucking shit show is this? Is this even fair...
I asked the Waypoint reviewer on twitter and he replied that essentially it's too hard to find people to play with pre-release. I get that, but that's also why reviews should be "in-progress" and completed once you can or just wait and do the review once it's complete. This covering 1/3 of a game shit is nonsense.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I love the smell of review threads in the morning.

Anyway, this is in line of what I was expecting. It seems it's more Gears and that's never bad for me. I just got gamepass so I'm be ready to play it. Also, as far as Metacritic is concern, Control is the best game of the year so far and it has an 81, so yeah, a collection of game reviews isn't nearly as accurate as it should be.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
Those are really good scores and about where I expected it to land. Can't wait to play it over the weekend.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
WTF are you talking about? Where in my post did I complain about scores?

Damn, Kratos must be your father or something.Lmao
You literally did the whole "reviews don't matter" in a review thread. I've clearly hit a nerve calling you out on it though giving your childish responses, so I'll just leave it at I suggest you grow up.

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
Sitting 85ish is great! So many other games highly praised sit in the 80s. It's the 5th game of the series it's either you love Gears or don't. Some people just can't used to the control Gears has over other tps

Oct 28, 2017

There is fast travel, the cardboard box pickup points are the game's form of "marker posts" that other games like The Witcher 3 use.