• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
86 seems good and kind of where I figured Itd land based on the previews, I'm excited to play it, the graphics look amazing.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
I have this theory that Gears is going to end up being the Quake (or Unreal) of the third person shooter genre. Both games were incredibly popular when they first came out, but gradually fell out of the mainstream once more "accessible" competitors arrived. The casual audience doesn't like the wall bouncing and the old animations, whereas the hardcore fanbase knows that it's the core foundation of the gameplay.

People who don't like Gears don't want Gears to be Gears. Hence the divide where some players want it to be more like Uncharted or The Division. It's interesting how fighting games get a free pass to iterate, but other genres don't.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Quick and dirty breakdown of reviews from MC.

10 - 3reviews
9 - 20 reviews
8 - 10 reviews
7 - 3 reviews
6 - 1 review

bcatwilly

Oct 27, 2017
I realize that everyone has their opinions on the rankings for a series, but myself and my big Gears friend at work both rank them currently as 3 > 4 > 2 > 1. I was first introduced to the Gears series when I bought my Xbox One X at launch and really loved Gears 4. I have since played through the series on Game Pass, and I don't have much doubt that based on the reviews and insane graphics to include amazing HDR (man oh man it sucks that Control didn't have HDR) that it will likely be right up there near the top for me for the series.

So just because some different era review scores happened to be higher for one of the games doesn't mean that many won't feel differently, and heck IGN scored the Gears 5 campaign 8.8 with praise that sure sounded like it was better than Gears 4 which IGN scored a 9.2. LOL.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I have this theory that Gears is going to end up being the Quake (or Unreal) of the third person shooter genre. Both games were incredibly popular when they first came out, but gradually fell out of the mainstream once more "accessible" competitors arrived. The casual audience doesn't like the wall bouncing and the old animations, whereas the hardcore fanbase knows that it's the core foundation of the gameplay.

People who don't like Gears don't want Gears to be Gears. Hence the divide where some players want it to be more like Uncharted or The Division. It's interesting how fighting games get a free pass to iterate, but other genres don't.

I feel like the best and worst thing that can happen to a franchise is that its online component catches on in competitive circles. It's the best thing in the world for obvious reasons, but on the flip side - it basically locks your franchise's gameplay behind an impenetrable shell for all of eternity which becomes more and more of an issue as time goes on and games evolve.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
EDoe3hEXsAEGQs6
Yea those daaaaamnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

God I can't wait to play this on my PC.

M1chl

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Czech Republic
There was a clever idea, not to have any campaign trailers, I guess. But if this can get worse score than Gears 4, which has absolutely abysmal campaign, I am not sure if I rather don't save my space on HDD.

This review thread is no fun, not any big meltdowns. Nothing like that whole review thread of that crazy posts and memes from The Order 1886 time. Or if ND could be legally sued (I think this was Polygon) for giving The Last of US 8/10. Especially The Order 1886 thread was classic. Seems like Xbox fans are no longer those 12 years old, but those who had 2 jobs and could get spare console. (X1X main platform by the way)

Last edited:

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
There was a clever idea, not to have any campaign trailers, I guess. But if this can get worse score than Gears 4, which has absolutely abysmal campaign, I am not sure if I rather don't save my space on HDD.

But this review thread is no fun, not any big meltdown. Nothing like and whole that memes from crazy The Order 1886 time. Or if ND could legally sue, I think this was Polygon, for giving The Last of US 8/10. Especially The Order 1886 thread was classic. Seems like Xbox fans are no longer those 12 years old, but those who had 2 jobs and could get spare console. (X1X main platform by the way)
It doesn't have a worse score than Gears 4 though.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Seems like it's more Gears. Not that I expected any different but I'd like to see the team do something more creative for the next entry.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

But this review thread is no fun, not any big meltdown. Nothing like and whole that memes from crazy The Order 1886 time. Or if ND could legally sue, I think this was Polygon, for giving The Last of US 8/10. Especially The Order 1886 thread was classic. Seems like Xbox fans are no longer those 12 years old, but those who had 2 jobs and could get spare console. (X1X main platform by the way)

I've read this 3 times and I still have no idea what is being said here

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
If they offer sth groundbreaking or extremely polished. Yes it's a shame that MS doesn't have a single title that might be considered a masterpiece this gen but last time I remember, Gears 5 gave a pretty mediocre impression during E3 and even so in the end it appears to deliver. It appears to be the best non Forza MS game in a long while.

"It's a shame MS doesn't have a masterpiece this gen aside from the masterpiece I just acknowledged "

And no, Gears 5 didn't give a mediocre impression of the Campaign and main MP modes at E3 because none of those were showed. All post-E3 showings of those modes have been extremely positive.

As far as technical polish is concerned, I'm not sure when last we had a game as good as this, delivering 4K 60fps on the X.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Wait Gamespot gave it a 7?
But had near no complaint.......beyond saying it feels like Gears?
Do they give Call of Duty games the same harsh treatment of comparing COD to COD?

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
And people jumped on me because in the past i dare to say something about the game having a samey feelings from gameplay videos...and then reviews comes out and say basically the same thing even on very positive reviews...

Sorry if i giggle for a moment here...

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Could you write that last paragraph in English please.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
And people jumped on me because in the past i dare to say something about the game having a samey feelings from gameplay videos...and then reviews comes out and say basically the same thing even on very positive reviews...

Sorry if i giggle for a moment here...

It's really stupid to say "uhhhh that game looks similar to the one before it" for a sequel, isn't it?

Yeah, it is.