• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Why hope for such a thing, especially if it ultimately doesn't matter? I assume you're buying BL3 regardless?

Well first of all I do believe there is a strong correlation between high scores and game quality. Second the higher the score the more likely people on the fence give it a try. I want it to be huge game supported for years. I am absolutely gonna buy day one unless it scores really poorly compared to previous games. That's highly unlikely.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Review threads for exclusive games are truly the best and worst place on Era.

I'm glad it looks impressive. I want Xbox to have a competitive first party lineup and this is a step forward.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Score keeps getting better since the last time I checked, at this rate it might get close to 90.

This thread is embarassing though, PS fanboys acting like idiots just because the game didn't crack 90 and XB fanboys feeling insecure trying to downplay PS exclusives and accusing critics of being biased.

Too many reviews in at this point to hit 90. 88 at best, 84 at worst. Awesome scores.

Judge

Vault-Tec Seal of Approval
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe I'll be playing this in around 12 hours!!

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
86 is like the absolute best I ever expected a Geow to score in this day and age.

It's a legit great Metascore, not sure what people expected or why this thread is so big.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Pretty great reviews. But gotta say, I'm a little bummed it's not higher. I thought this was an opportunity to have a GOTY candidate from Xbox. But it doesn't look like it's quite that good.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The game will exceed my expectations and that's all that matters.

I love spiderman and it's a fairly low scoring AAA game.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man I'm so jealous of you all playing tomorrow! I'm away until Monday so staying spoiler free but god dam I'm hyped!

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
The question with this game isn't one of 'is this score high enough to justify a $60 purchase', but instead how many new gamepass subscriptions will this drive.

Microsoft are playing a different strategy and a lot of people seem to be missing the point

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Disappointing that so many reviewers almost completely ignored multiplayer. IMO Gears is all about multiplayer, singleplayer is just the side dish.
You can guarantee the reviews wouldn't be missing multiplayer if it was broken. Seems really unfair that all the different competitive and coop modes are not included in so many reviews.
Wait, they're reviewing only the Campaign? That can't be right.

Can't really review MP prelaunch. That's why you see reviews in progress and without scores. Those with scores, I got no explanation for them.

So is the story good?

The characterization is good.

If you've played the prior Gears games, esp the original trilogy, you're guessing most of the story.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I haven't seen it mentioned, but I wonder if the weather system is dynamic during skiffing or is it based on progression?

Your tracks in the snow/sand appear to be dynamic. The weather is fixed as far as I can tell.

Dont have time to read reviews or whole thread. How long is this game? Did they fucked up pacing of the ending in this one as well? I swear i expected like another 3 hour after last mission in gears 4, was really surprised when credits hit.

Also, are the open areas just big asss empty bud beatiful open worlds areas or are they rich on content? I cant really imagine exploring in gears like new gow or lets say mass effecr andromeda.

Took me about 12.5 hours to complete campaign.

As for the ending...

Where the story falls apart, and where Gears 5 has its biggest miss, is in the ending. A new "big bad" is introduced over the course of the game. A key character is eliminated from the story. And just as you think you're building to a reckoning...the game ends. Much like Gears of War 2, it's a sudden ending, and it has the same unfinished vibe as the end of "The Matrix Reloaded" or "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." In fact, the final, game ending boss fight is just a rehash of the Act III boss fight.

Deleted member 45460

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 27, 2018

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
The ending of most act 2's out of 3 will generally feel this way, I'm not worried. I wasn't expecting everything to be sorted/answered.

You don't need to sort everything, but Act IV is the shortest act in the game, it has a reused boss, and no indication it is the final battle until it is over and the game ends.