• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
TLoU really did have an awesome multiplayer mode - something I didn't discover until the PS4 version hit.

Personally it does bum me out when a multiplayer mode drags down the reception of an otherwise brilliant game such as with DOOM.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, set your timezone to KiriBati, and you can play Gears 5 now.
At least for PC, now sure is Xbox One have KiriBati lol.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm sure you're not new to the GB quicklook, you should know they rarely go well and should never be used to decide if you want to play something.

On the contrary, I know the GB crew and their video formats well enough that I know exactly what i'm in for. And if Jeff is anything, he's immune to hype and just says how he feels about things. That is why people love him. No beating around the bush.

But apparently that doesn't stop people getting mad when it's about a game they were looking forward to. Jeff is hardly the only one saying how little the open-world sections add to the game.

I'm still going to play it though. Thank you Gamepass.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
On the contrary, I know the GB crew and their video formats well enough that I know exactly what i'm in for. And if Jeff is anything, he's immune to hype and just says how he feels about things. That is why people love him. No beating around the bush.

But apparently that doesn't stop people getting mad when it's about a game they were looking forward to. Jeff is hardly the only one saying how little the open-world sections add to the game.

Eh, will have to agree to disagree on him being immune to hype. I do agree he says how he feels about things, I also know he doesn't always know what he's doing when playing games, so it kinda makes it a little difficult to take what he says at face value.

And no-one is mad. I see someone pointing out him contradicting himself and a few others not particularly impressed with the QL, but I'm not seeing anyone getting mad about it. Bit ridiculous to suggest people are mad to try and make a point.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
And no-one is mad. I see someone pointing out him contradicting himself and a few others not particularly impressed with the QL, but I'm not seeing anyone getting mad about it. Bit ridiculous to suggest people are mad to try and make a point.

Read the last page where you have multiple people venting how much they dislike Giant Bomb. The worst review outlet, part of the old guard, always terrible at games. Should I have said salty instead of mad? Semantics.

And that when GB is one of the few lasting websites with tangible integrity these days and has always had a huge following on this board and on GAF.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017

Completely agree. One of the things I like about Giant Bomb is that they don't fake enthusiasm. That doesn't necessarily make for good reviews but I can still get a lot out of hearing what he thinks about this game. If he'd been really into it, it would have been a very positive indication about Gears 5. That he isn't indicates that, in all likelihood, it's good but not great.

Jeff has historically been pretty interested in playing more Gears even when a lot of people weren't - I remember him being genuinely excited for Gears of War 4 when it was announced and shown pre release - so his lack of enthusiasm here is telling.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
There was comparison being made of games being rated poorer due to reception of multiplayer components. I think my subjective opinion on that is valid for the arguement.

The problem with your opinion is that TLOU MP was indeed factored in reviews, reviewers thought it was awesome. Go check them.

So, your example is not the same as DOOM, a good example would be Bioshock 2 or Arkham Origins.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I did not say that. I only commented on a person tweeting about "boring" gameplay and showing even worse gameplay as some sort of counter argument.
Well, I think it's cool. They were able to chain their kills to recharge their meter and took out the entire encounter without firing a bullet. I'll take that kind of stealth over prone sneaking and tall grass in an action game.

Plus is only one of many ways you can use Jack to mix up your approach to combat.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Read the last page where you have multiple people venting how much they dislike Giant Bomb. The worst review outlet, part of the old guard, always terrible at games. Should I have said salty instead of mad? Semantics.

And that when GB is one of the few lasting websites with tangible integrity these days and has always had a huge following on this board and on GAF.

Not to harp on about this too much, but I think you're being pretty disingenuous here.

Giant Bomb is not a good place to go to see any type of competent game play.
That quick look was sloppy. Jeff: "this area is empty." Brad: "what about those icons?" Jeff: "I did them all." Later, "these upgrades are kind of pointless since the game is easy. " He then proceeds to die multiple times and fails to pass even the most basic stuff. I'm saying this as a GB premium member too. I haven't played it but this quick look was not useful at all lol.
It's not a good place for anything. It's part of the old guard that now officially sucks.
To be fair Giantbomb has really been bad for reviews period imo.
True imo.my least favorite review outlet.. I like edge more than giant bomb for some reason lol
Giant bomb is only for people who have video games. I have never seen good quick look from them.

If anyone is on the fence it's just matter of looking at reviews if publications which align with your taste. You don't have to look at metascore
Jeff straight up forgot how to use Jack towards the end of his campaign gameplay despite explaining earlier how to use him. That's why he got stuck on the laser section, he forgot to switch Jacks skills to revive Del and overload the generators.
That sure does sound like Jeff Gerstmann, bless his heart.
I'm sure you're not new to the GB quicklook, you should know they rarely go well and should never be used to decide if you want to play something.
I thought it was poor as well. They basically showed the open world segment after they had done every side objective you could do, and then did 2 story missions in a row and then quit halfway through the most interesting part of the quick look because spoilers. Then spend 14 minutes playing versus with bots. It felt like a poor representation of the game.

I see lots of people pointing out issues with the QL, but only two who said actually said the things you described, but as I said, I'm not going to harp on about it. It's cool if you think it's a good QL and representative of the game, but I also think you're being overly defensive and seeing what you want to see to justify your feelings towards the response of others to the QL.

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with your opinion is that TLOU MP was indeed factored in reviews, reviewers thought it was awesome. Go check them.

So, your example is not the same as DOOM, a good example would be Bioshock 2 or Arkham Origins.
The problem with that is TLOU wasn't one of the mentioned games. I said UC4.

Someone else started talking about tlou ...for some reason

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I love Giant Bomb. I'm a subscriber (though I'm more particular to the East coast team). I think Jeff Gerstmann is awesome. I also think Jeff can be super particular about what he likes and this often results in him being blase about tonnes of games that I wind up enjoying and so I just don't find him reliable when he's somewhat aloof or negative about a game. Enjoyed watching the Quick Look for what it was, I just don't consider it a reliable indication of the game's quality.

Refl3x

alt account
Banned
Jul 10, 2019
Very excited for this game, long time Gears (SP) fan. I don't think I've ever played Gears online for more than an hour. I'm also quite happy with the lack of media coverage regarding the SP campaign. Certain franchises have to me are a quality brand where I don't need the details. I know a Gears game will be a good game and I value the mystery surrounding the SP a lot. I hope, fingers crossed, that I will have a 'flood' moment in the Game. When I was younger I wasn't ingo gaming media at all, played a bit of Halo: Combat Evolved splitscreen on demo booths and then the SP, knew a bit about it. Then came the flood... that was an amazing surprise.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I love Giant Bomb. I'm a subscriber (though I'm more particular to the East coast team). I think Jeff Gerstmann is awesome. I also think Jeff can be super particular about what he likes and this often results in him being blase about tonnes of games that I wind up enjoying and so I just don't find him reliable when he's somewhat aloof or negative about a game. Enjoyed watching the Quick Look for what it was, I just don't consider it a reliable indication of the game's quality.

This post pretty much sums up my thoughts.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Nailed my thoughts to a t. Great post.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Agreed. I love GB but I don't go to them for reviews. It's all their other stuff that draws me in more.

Dec 8, 2018
Well, I think it's cool. They were able to chain their kills to recharge their meter and took out the entire encounter without firing a bullet. I'll take that kind of stealth over prone sneaking and tall grass in an action game.

Plus is only one of many ways you can use Jack to mix up your approach to combat.

Well I guess our taste in gameplay differ because that looked terrible to me.

And once again I did only comment that clip not the entire game what is so hard to get?

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The Giant Bomb quicklook doesn't make me want to play this, like at all. The skiff parts are apparently mostly filler and the encounters just look to be shooting galleries that drag on way too long.

Graphics look good tho.
Funny enough, it's the only long-form footage I've watched about the game at all so far and it made me want to play it more. I guess I'm just used to how Jeff presents things and I know where I diverge from him so I tune out what I know we'd disagree on. I have a feeling I'll fall in the same e camp as him on the open world stuff. Hopefully, they really iron it all out for the next one. Gunfights look as fun as ever and Jack is a nice addition.

DustyVonErich

Oct 31, 2017
Not to harp on about this too much, but I think you're being pretty disingenuous here...

...I see lots of people pointing out issues with the QL, but only two who said actually said the things you described, but as I said, I'm not going to harp on about it. It's cool if you think it's a good QL and representative of the game, but I also think you're being overly defensive and seeing what you want to see to justify your feelings towards the response of others to the QL.

LOL. This tread is crazy. You just confirmed everything he said. Just with different words.

They said don't trust GB's reviews and / QL anymore; they're old hat and bad at games. You confirmed it yourself, then accuse him of acting defensively while your going through all this effort for a gotcha moment? Cmon guys. This game seems to be great. No need to cape for it. The reviews speak for themselves.

And if it's your favorite franchise on Xbox like it is mine, your gonna play it eventually regardless.

Oct 27, 2017
That quick look was sloppy. Jeff: "this area is empty." Brad: "what about those icons?" Jeff: "I did them all." Later, "these upgrades are kind of pointless since the game is easy. " He then proceeds to die multiple times and fails to pass even the most basic stuff. I'm saying this as a GB premium member too. I haven't played it but this quick look was not useful at all lol.
Don't get me wrong I still love giantbomb and the gerst but that was a disingenuous QL and very sloppy. Generally they try and represent a game in its best fashion but that was lazy. I can say the same about Dan and the astral chain quick look. I'm not just saying it because if Gears. Still love then tho

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I actually chuckled when he said that.

Why is this seen as some kind of 'gotcha' Or contradiction? There were maybe ten points of interest on the map and all of them were similar points where you pass through a door/tunnel to a very traditional non-open gears style level to get a Jack upgrade reward in the end.

The presence of these icons does not mean the world isn't empty and Jeff's comment can still be valid. It makes the skiff parts into a needless hubworld, if anything. And again, Jeff is far from the only reviewer saying the open-world areas are not a big boon to the overall game.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017

I always appreciate Jeff as a host and editorial data-point, but there are some times it's pretty clear he's reacting to something other than what's in the game. Usually, it's still plenty useful getting a reaction from someone who couldn't be further from hype, but others, it just makes him a not particularly interesting or useful figure to be covering it.

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always appreciate Jeff as a host and editorial data-point, but there are some times it's pretty clear he's reacting to something other than what's in the game. Usually, it's still plenty useful getting a reaction from someone who couldn't be further from hype, but others, it just makes him a not particularly interesting or useful figure to be covering it.
Yeah thats my disappointment

Perhaps he will feel differently when he has finished the game for next bombcast - by then i will have played it so it will be interesting

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
this thread with the game being an 86 is more strange each page. Like can you imagine if the score rise a couple of points more? lol

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing that someone is trying to push negativity in a review thread where the game has an 86 Metacritic just because the most jaded person in the entire industry is bored lmao.

Can't wait for tomorrow :)

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Played about 45 minutes this morning. Game looks damn great (though can't say if it's the best looking game I've played).
It's gears. So if you expected anything other than gears, then you're going to be disappointed. But the weapons have more weight to them, movement is much more fluid and the sound design is damn great.

60 FPS feels amazing as well.

JaggedSac

Oct 25, 2017
Burbs of Atlanta
Why is this seen as some kind of 'gotcha' Or contradiction? There were maybe ten points of interest on the map and all of them were similar points where you pass through a door/tunnel to a very traditional non-open gears style level to get a Jack upgrade reward in the end.

The presence of these icons does not mean the world isn't empty and Jeff's comment can still be valid. It makes the skiff parts into a needless hubworld, if anything. And again, Jeff is far from the only reviewer saying the open-world areas are not a big boon to the overall game.

You the chuckle police?

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I am sorry but that did not look like much fun either. Pop invisibility and run straight at enemies in their faces to shank them even pushing that guy going up the stairs and they don't even react one bit. Even stop and pop would be more fun than that.
The timer constantly runs down, but you can get a skill upgrade that extends it a bit with every kill. So it's a race to try and get the kills you can and then get back to cover because you're leaving yourself in enemy territory fully exposed if you don't.

So it's not like this is something you can just do over and over again.