• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Metacritic scores almost always trend downward a couple of points after the first wave of reviews go out.

It's just not important: the reviewer consensus is that Gears 5 is clearly an outstanding game.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
I know. I don't really put much stock in other awards at this point. If you really trust one publication, that's cool. But TGA is a panel of judges across the industry. I don't go by sheer number of awards. Since any tiny blog gets counted now-a-days. In that sense, I'm sure almost every game wins a GOTY awards from someone.
Is Death's Stranding excluded from this year's VGA?

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
2 reviews today came in at 80.

Whats weird for me is almost every review/youtuber/streamer thinks its much better than Gears 4 but it may end up at the same score as Gears 4 or even lower if we get a lot of 80s from now on.

I don't think there is anything weird about that.
Gears 4 came out in 2016 and was rated in 2016. Standards rise over time and the gaming environment is diffrent, so just being better than a game that came out in 2016 won't warrant you a better score in 2019.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of reviews seem to say "same Gears as it ever was" yet all the tech, accessibility, and gameplay examinations reveal lots of differences and improvements.

Oct 27, 2017

Whats weird for me is almost every review/youtuber/streamer thinks its much better than Gears 4 but it may end up at the same score as Gears 4 or even lower if we get a lot of 80s from now on.

As Shairi said before me, games came out since Gears 4, outstanding ones. Standards have changed. If Gears 4 would be reviewed again today it wouldn't score the same.

Lokimaster

Alt Account
Banned
May 12, 2019

Yea but here's the thing, they are not reviewing the game of 2016 merits. Its being reviewed off of 2019 merits. Gears 4 would never get a 84 in 2019.
So to say that just because Gears 5 and Gears 4 have the same score, doesn't mean that both games are equal in terms of quality.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Personally for me it's a 90. I think the acting/story are better than ever, graphics are great, gameplay is improved, increased options and Jack customizations are great. MP is TBD right now but from what I played from the beta it's smoother than ever. I know and respect that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I can't respect any reviewer that gives this LT 80.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Personally for me it's a 90. I think the acting/story are better than ever, graphics are great, gameplay is improved, increased options and Jack customizations are great. MP is TBD right now but from what I played from the beta it's smoother than ever. I know and respect that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I can't respect any reviewer that gives this LT 80.
You can't respect someone who doesn't have the same video game preferences as you?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
You can't respect someone who doesn't have the same video game preferences as you?

I have much respect for games in all categories. Give me a polished puzzle game and I'd rate it well. Same for a racer. Same for a JRPG. I just can't see someone walking into a review for this with an open mind and hit it with a 60.

It's like a car reviewer rating a Honda Civic a 5/10 because it's not a truck. I guess... But shouldn't you rate it against other cars in it's category?

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I have much respect for games in all categories. Give me a polished puzzle game and I'd rate it well. Same for a racer. Same for a JRPG. I just can't see someone walking into a review for this with an open mind and hit it with a 60.

You need to realize that people have different opinions from you and that you should respect that opinion if it is well thought out and detailed. Which many of these reviews are.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
I can. It would just mean they didn't enjoy the game very much, and no amount of polish can change that.

Me? I started playing last night and have really enjoyed myself so far. But it seems like a silly thing to base your respect on.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
I can. It would just mean they didn't enjoy the game very much, and no amount of polish can change that.

Me? I started playing last night and have really enjoyed myself so far. But it seems like a silly thing to base your respect on.

You need to realize that people have different opinions from you and that you should respect that opinion if it is well thought out and detailed. Which many of these reviews are.

Look at it this way fellas: I walked into that low review and I reviewed that reviewer as a 60. They just weren't for me. I didn't enjoy their review. 😉

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
What really grinds my gears (and no, pun not intended) is when the review is outstanding and praising the game non-stop.

Then the score is an 80/100 for some reason with barely a mention of any flaws found. Reminds me of being graded in highschool and seeing one "needs more references" red mark and yet an 82 percentage.

Back on topic, the 87 dream aint dead just yet, just bumpy. I believe.

Deleted member 43

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
What really grinds my gears (and no, pun not intended) is when the review is outstanding and praising the game non-stop.

Then the score is an 80/100 for some reason with barely a mention of any flaws found. Reminds me of being graded in highschool and seeing one "needs more references" red mark and yet an 82 percentage.

Back on topic, the 87 dream aint dead just yet, just bumpy. I believe.
Eh. 80 is a good score. You could have very little to complain about, but just not love the game enough to go higher.

Reviews aren't a factual thing, they are inherently based on feelings, and people know how they feel.

Aug 26, 2018
I don't think there is anything weird about that.
Gears 4 came out in 2016 and was rated in 2016. Standards rise over time and the gaming environment is diffrent, so just being better than a game that came out in 2016 won't warrant you a better score in 2019.
As Shairi said before me, games came out since Gears 4, outstanding ones. Standards have changed. If Gears 4 would be reviewed again today it wouldn't score the same.
Yea but here's the thing, they are not reviewing the game of 2016 merits. Its being reviewed off of 2019 merits. Gears 4 would never get a 84 in 2019.
So to say that just because Gears 5 and Gears 4 have the same score, doesn't mean that both games are equal in terms of quality.

Fair enough. I personally would have gone for a 88-89.

Still getting kicked out of matches, server issues are real.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
not someone who gave it a 6/10, I mean you really got to just look at every negative and not any positive. IMO thats a peep wanting attention, knowing they would get it, with a certain crowd, by posting a 6/10 review, his comment on twitter kinda show, he wanted shock factor.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
not someone who gave it a 6/10, I mean you really got to just look at every negative and not any positive. IMO thats a peep wanting attention, knowing they would get it, with a certain crowd, by posting a 6/10 review, his comment on twitter kinda show, he wanted shock factor.

If they gave it a 2/10 or something like that, sure. 6/10 is not exactly far from the 7's and 8's that the game has been getting. I wonder if you say the same about reviewers giving it a 10/10 seeing as that's an outlier too.

Prime2

Oct 25, 2017
If they gave it a 2/10 or something like that, sure. 6/10 is not exactly far from the 7's and 8's that the game has been getting. I wonder if you say the same about reviewers giving it a 10/10 seeing as that's an outlier too.

Id agree generally on this point but that single review and his actions after words speak to him wanting a reaction.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Not fall off, from 7 or 8?, this whole thread is it not hitting .4 higher for the magical 9.0 number.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
It is Gears and an MS IP. I see no way that they could have hit the 90's, the cache isn't there. It being 2 points below Spiderman is better than I expected. At the end of the day it is what it is enjoy the game and play it. I'm still surprised that the user score is so high.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Not fall off, from 7 or 8?, this whole thread is it not hitting .4 higher for the magical 9.0 number.

0.5, and the game has still been getting 7's and 8's. That is a fact.

Edit: I don't mean all reviews are 7 or 8.

Id agree generally on this point but that single review and his actions after words speak to him wanting a reaction.

I've seen 2 6/10's and 1 6.5/10 from this thread. I understand about the reviewer in question but the person I quoted was generalizing everyone that gives the game a 6/10.

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Yo, seriously, game is the bomb, I love to tango with warriors, but this is legit good, I'm out. nice peeps, that I could have a drink with.

Jobbs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

if I reviewed a sports game I wouldn't enjoy it, and it could be the best sports game ever and if I only scored it on my enjoyment it'd receive a 3/10. At that point I shouldn't be the one reviewing that game, and I'd say the same of anyone who enjoyed Gears 5 that little

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
Any news on when the multiplayer reviews will start coming? I'm downloading the game right now, how are servers holding up?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Was watching my coworker play some MP. I asked if it was on 1X. Nope, base XB1. Very impressive!

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
Three player co-op is definitely a thing in campaign. When you start a lobby, there are two slots open, but one player will be playing (Jack) Dave.

Thanks for clarifying. That is good to know.

Now I am just uncertain if I should play on PC for most stable three player campaign. Only got a 1080p TV so the resolution of X is useless.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm kinda surprised by all the hype I've seen for Gears 5. I remember Gears 4 coming over very lukewarm for a lot of people, even with that 84 Metacritic. Gears 5 seems like it'd getting way more positive impressions even if the overall scores are barely different.

_id

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
User banned (2 weeks): Posting conspiracy theories, vilifying gaming journalism, junior phase account with previous infractions

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Back on the board that shall not be mentioned, I use to ask people that made posts likes to join my party.

I don't waste my time anymore, but 9 times out of 10 they wouldn't/couldn't show up. LOL

I think you're actually playing the game though, so it's not a shot saying you aren't.
I'm surprised anyone would ever show up for something like that, that is a weird fucking thing to ask other people to do.