• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kinda surprised by all the hype I've seen for Gears 5. I remember Gears 4 coming over very lukewarm for a lot of people, even with that 84 Metacritic. Gears 5 seems like it'd getting way more positive impressions even if the overall scores are barely different.

Yeah I noticed this too. Even reading the reviews, you'd think either 5 would show higher or 4 would have scored lower.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
So opencritic is now at 86, that's absolutely fine if you ask me. For the ones that care about such things, this is very close to Spidey!

Could there perhaps be more reviews when it's available for everyone next week or is this pretty much it?

kpaadet

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This Gears 5 review thread has taught me that a lot have an odd obsession with Spider-Man MC score. Has The Coalition promised a Spider-Man skin if it matches it's MC score or something?

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
I'm kinda surprised by all the hype I've seen for Gears 5. I remember Gears 4 coming over very lukewarm for a lot of people, even with that 84 Metacritic. Gears 5 seems like it'd getting way more positive impressions even if the overall scores are barely different.

There was plenty of buzz around Gears 4 on release. It usually takes some time after the dust has settled before a narrative starts to form about how good a game truly is. The general consensus as far as I can read it is that Gears 4 was a perfectly adequate entry in the series but nothing overly exciting (for most).

Check back in a few months to see where opinion lies on Gears 5.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
This Gears 5 review thread has taught me that a lot have an odd obsession with Spider-Man MC score. Has The Coalition promised a Spider-Man skin if it matches it's MC score or something?

Lol Imagine a beefy, gun-wielding Spider-Man, getting gibbed by a shotgun.

Disney would sign off on that without issue..

Last edited:

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Could there perhaps be more reviews when it's available for everyone next week or is this pretty much it?
There are sure to be a lot more over the next few days. It would be unusual for it to round out with only the current number of reviews, when the last 2 major Xbox releases had well over 100 reviews and that is the average number of reviews you get for these kinds of high profile games across the board.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Eh it's mostly preemptive of the "gears 5 isn't GOTY material and Xbox has no games!" Since 🕷️ man is considered a must play then I'd gears scores roughly the same it too is a must play. It's validation pure and simple.

Carnage would fit in the gears universe beautifully though. Spider Kait would be pretty rad though!

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Eh it's mostly preemptive of the "gears 5 isn't GOTY material and Xbox has no games!" Since 🕷 man is considered a must play then I'd gears scores roughly the same it too is a must play. It's validation pure and simple.

Carnage would fit in the gears universe beautifully though. Spider Kait would be pretty rad though!
It's so dumb. There's literally no way to compare the two. Writing is the only way, and graphics. But otherwise, they're not even the same genre or type of game

statham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FloRida
Yep. Then you have certain peeps that want you to listen to the outliers.

Trup1aya

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Yeah that's right.

All game journalists have hidden agendas and vendettas and that's why Gears 5 didn't score .4 more on metacritic.

Do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
There was a certain poster/reviewer in this thread that did exactly that. It's ridiculous to say ALL journalists have a bias but some clearly do.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
not someone who gave it a 6/10, I mean you really got to just look at every negative and not any positive. IMO thats a peep wanting attention, knowing they would get it, with a certain crowd, by posting a 6/10 review, his comment on twitter kinda show, he wanted shock factor.
Or they just didn't like it.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
if I reviewed a sports game I wouldn't enjoy it, and it could be the best sports game ever and if I only scored it on my enjoyment it'd receive a 3/10. At that point I shouldn't be the one reviewing that game, and I'd say the same of anyone who enjoyed Gears 5 that little
But we have no reason to think the reviewer doesn't like TPS. We just know they didn't like this one.

There is no reason to assume a conspiracy when the simplest answer explains the outcome.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
The guy I responded to that accused all games journalists of having hidden agendas and vendettas caught a ban for that comment.

You then responded to me and mentioned "biases", but that's not what I was discussing, at all.
I was responding that there are journalists that have done exactly that in this thread. It has happened but I definitely agree it's not a world wide conspiracy.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In case anyone wanted to be more mad about gamespot's review

(I thought this was funny - I'm not really invested in what number GameSpot gives, but it's a good video that doesn't seem to line up with their written review)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
83- 84- 85 - 86 ? It's not changing much any more. Go play it, the game is fun as hell and looks amazing. This thread shouldn't be a reckoning. Damn.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
In case anyone wanted to be more mad about gamespot's review

(I thought this was funny - I'm not really invested in what number GameSpot gives, but it's a good video that doesn't seem to line up with their written review)

Different person reviewed the game than the one who made this video. I agree with all of the points in this video.

Deleted member 40133

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Gears 5 is not an 18 year old applying to Cambridge, 85 is a great score and I think it's a great game. I don't see why people are losing their shits over a couple extra points

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is not an 18 year old applying to Cambridge, 85 is a great score and I think it's a great game. I don't see why people are losing their shits over a couple extra points
If there is one thing that video games have made clear over the years it's that people really get invested in watching numbers tick up.

It's the founding principle of modern game design.

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
I've been playing through the game thanks to Gamepass, an 85 seems about right in my opinion. Possibly even generous, I'd give it a solid 7 or 8 out of 10.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol

All the people who already predicted a GotY candidate in the preview thread and that the score would be well over 84, at least 90. Too high expectations, I guess.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
1. Metacritic average is too flawed to take its final score as a gold standard. It's just one very general guide post.

2. Reviews are just feelings. Don't be shitty because someone feels different than you.

3. Almost exactly half the reviewers gave Gears a 90 or above. If you got as much enjoyment out of the campaign as I did, there's enough reviewers to validate your feelings...but if they didn't, so fucking what?

4. I don't think Coalition will close down for missing the 90 metacritic mark.