• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
1. Metacritic average is too flawed to take its final score as a gold standard. It's just one very general guide post.

2. Reviews are just feelings. Don't be shitty because someone feels different than you.

3. Almost exactly half the reviewers gave Gears a 90 or above. If you got as much enjoyment out of the campaign as I did, there's enough reviewers to validate your feelings...but if they didn't, so fucking what?

4. I don't think Coalition will close down for missing the 90 metacritic mark.

Who said that gears 5 has to be above 90 that missing it might even remotely put coalition in danger ? I know u r saying no one but it should not even be on anyone's mind to begin with .
Game scored amazing and it's an amazing game .however it has bugs that prevent progression of the game that affects quite few people .many people had to replay the same part of the game for 2 hours before the game would progress . A game in this state can't score above 90 to begin with . It's an amazing games that once ironed out will be one of the better gears and that's an amazing feat for coalition.

Congrats to them .

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
That gamespot video really does a great job of highlighting how great this game is. Can't wait to get home tonight.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
86 MC is a fantastic score. It's certainly a sign that "new MS 1st party" is heading in the right direction. If they can invest comparable amounts into new IP, which is what most want, they'll be fine.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
86 MC is a fantastic score. It's certainly a sign that "new MS 1st party" is heading in the right direction. If they can invest comparable amounts into new IP, which is what most want, they'll be fine.
Coalition is just a great developer. gears 4 was 84 ,gears 5 is 85 .they have nothing to do with "new" Ms 1st parties . New 1st parties shall be judged once they start putting games under MS management .not coalition .they r a proven quantity.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Coalition is just a great developer. gears 4 was 84 ,gears 5 is 85 .they have nothing to do with "new" Ms 1st parties . New 1st parties shall be judged once they start putting games under MS management .not coalition .they r a proven quantity.

But it's clear Gears 5 has had more money pumped into it, is what I mean. Coalition has been given more tools to work with in developing 5, over 4. They have not been compelled to use the same, annoying monetisation in MP as a direct result of MSs new approach, for example.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
Who said that gears 5 has to be above 90 that missing it might even remotely put coalition in danger ? I know u r saying no one but it should not even be on anyone's mind to begin with .
Game scored amazing and it's an amazing game .however it has bugs that prevent progression of the game that affects quite few people .many people had to replay the same part of the game for 2 hours before the game would progress . A game in this state can't score above 90 to begin with . It's an amazing games that once ironed out will be one of the better gears and that's an amazing feat for coalition.

Congrats to them .

That was my poor attempt at sarcasm. Coalition is doing a hell of a job with the franchise they were tasked to take care of.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
It's a massive package, and the online services have been hit or miss this weekend. I imagine a lot of critics are just trying to get through all of it.
Ah makes sense. The server issues are such a bummer, I haven't been affected by it myself but I honestly expect the score to drop because if it, frustration rarely boost the scores :P
It's cool to see the score so far though, and a user score at 8.9 is solid.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018

"Gears 5 is excellent, albeit with a major narrative downfall. While the finale of the campaign definitely left a sour taste in my mouth, the game was so good that I want to keep playing the Horde and multiplayer modes just to get more Gears 5. The atmosphere and gameplay in the campaign were different to what I expected, in a good way, and I'm looking forward to where the series goes next and how this narrative finally finishes up in the sequel. Until then, this is the best Gears game in years, with an excellent multiplayer suite to back it up. Practically essential on Xbox One, and a great option for PC owners too. "

beau_beaumont

Nov 12, 2017
For those of you playing couch co-op, are there still checkpoint issues while playing completely offline? I might have to hold off until they fix it.

Deleted member 47654

user requested account closure
Banned
Sep 10, 2018
5 Reviews added:
90 LevelUp
90 The Daily Dot
88 (this will be counted soon, its Atomix, a Mexican outlet, published just 40 minutes ago)
87 EveryEye.it
86 GamePro Germany
If this continues this path then the game will end in the 86-89 range, unless more mixed or low 80s reviews are added (Gamespot and IGN Italy comes to mind)

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017

Pretty positive review in spanish, it adresses the issues with the servers already. It's an 88 and it counts for metacritic.
Cool, nice to see they aren't review bombing it just because of the server problems. These problems will likely go away so it shouldn't drop the score like crazy imo, not everyone are affected by it either or plays it day 1 so it'll be weird looking back at low scores with server complaints.

However, I noticed my first disconnect issue yesterday, GMT+1 at midnight, it constantly tried to reconnect but wasn't able to go online. It still seemed to save alright though. What triggers the save problems talked about in the OT? Someone had to replay the Act 2 boss, that would piss me off.

Oct 27, 2017
The World
5 Reviews added:
90 LevelUp
90 The Daily Dot
88 (this will be counted soon, its Atomix, a Mexican outlet, published just 40 minutes ago)
87 EveryEye.it
86 GamePro Germany
If this continues this path then the game will end in the 86-89 range, unless more mixed or low 80s reviews are added (Gamespot and IGN Italy comes to mind)

Gamespot, Giantbomb, Edge I see being on the lower end.

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
So on the latest Podcast Unlocked (IGN Xbox podcast) Miranda Sanchez (who's doing the multiplayer review) said she's given Gears multiplayer a 9, don't know what this'll mean for the final score (8.9, maybe 9.0 overall?)

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
So on the latest Podcast Unlocked (IGN Xbox podcast) Miranda Sanchez (who's doing the multiplayer review) said she's given Gears multiplayer a 9, don't know what this'll mean for the final score (8.9, maybe 9.0 overall?)
I guess so. 8.8 campaign. 9.0 multiplayer. I don't see the multiplayer review up on their site anywhere though. Only the campaign review and that it's still a review in progress.

Kilgore

Feb 5, 2018
I guess so. 8.8 campaign. 9.0 multiplayer. I don't see the multiplayer review up on their site anywhere though. Only the campaign review and that it's still a review in progress.
I can't remember who from IGN said that MC would be free to chose what score use to calculate the metascore. It sounds a little weird but I guess they know better than me.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone tried using Keyboard and Mouse on xbox one for gears 5 yet????
Yeah, outside of campaign, that's how I'm playing.

Outside of the occasional disconnect (I think my KB/M are a bit too serious for the Xbone to handle, but the console is right next to me, so a quick replug and it's good to go), it works like a charm. Can't wall-bounce, but the fact that I can instantly 180 in a gnasher fight definitely outweighs the con.

Also - impossible to lose a Lancer duel.

Mathew Oakman

Oct 11, 2018
Yeah, outside of campaign, that's how I'm playing.

Outside of the occasional disconnect (I think my KB/M are a bit too serious for the Xbone to handle, but the console is right next to me, so a quick replug and it's good to go), it works like a charm. Can't wall-bounce, but the fact that I can instantly 180 in a gnasher fight definitely outweighs the con.

Also - impossible to lose a Lancer duel.

Nice !!!

What keyboard and mouse set up are you using?? I really want to buy the Razor wireless keyboard and mouse for this but cant justify Ā£250 for it !!

Super Havoc

Banned
Aug 24, 2018
The Haven
Personally for me it's a 90. I think the acting/story are better than ever, graphics are great, gameplay is improved, increased options and Jack customizations are great. MP is TBD right now but from what I played from the beta it's smoother than ever. I know and respect that it's not everyone's cup of tea but I can't respect any reviewer that gives this LT 80.

I agree with you 100%

I don't think it deserves lower than an 85-90 personally counting the great campaign and excellent MP.

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I finished campaign last night and think this game should be closer to 90 than 80 for sure. A solid 87-88 for me. Enjoyed the new narrative direction, character interaction, the attention to detail in setpieces, the flawless gunplay. Skiff sections were alright, I don't think they added that much but it was fun to ride this thing. Also, Gears needs to be applauded for shipping with so many multiplayer modes and accessibility options. Will dive more into multiplayer later. Bugs and server issues are too frequent though.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Road to 87 is going strong guys!
IGN gave the MP a 90. They said they'd discuss how to do the overall score together instead of just adding and dividing lol.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Road to 87 is going strong guys!
IGN gave the MP a 90. They said they'd discuss how to do the overall score together instead of just adding and dividing lol.

Yeah, the weight of MP vs SP content would suggest that it should suck up the overall score to a 9.0. You can't treat SP and MP as 50/50 with a game like Gears. Nobody will be playing the campaign in 6 months. It's too simplistic to just go for 8.9. They could even go for a "greater than the sum of it's parts" score and give it 9.1 for being such a complete package.

But I think they'll settle on 9.0.

It won't really move the MC needle though, despite IGN getting massive weighting in their system. Unless the score is currently on something like 86.4 on their rating scale, whereby a 9.0 could bump it to something like 86.8, which bumps it to 87 MC.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, the weight of MP vs SP content would suggest that it should suck up the overall score to a 9.0. You can't treat SP and MP as 50/50 with a game like Gears. Nobody will be playing the campaign in 6 months. It's too simplistic to just go for 8.9. They could even go for a "greater than the sum of it's parts" score and give it 9.1 for being such a complete package.

But I think they'll settle on 9.0.

It won't really move the MC needle though, despite IGN getting massive weighting in their system. Unless the score is currently on something like 86.4 on their rating scale, whereby a 9.0 could bump it to something like 86.8, which bumps it to 87 MC.

We still have some reviews to go. I don't think the ign review alone will move it.

I do think the final review score will settle at 87 though. I also think people will be quoting 85 for months to come.

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
We still have some reviews to go. I don't think the ign review alone will move it.

I do think the final review score will settle at 87 though. I also think people will be quoting 85 for months to come.

Should be close to 87 i think. The last reviews added from sept 8 until now are :
100 VGC
90 Daily pot
90 Level up
90 App trigger
87 everyeye.it
86 Gamepro

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
From the DualShockers 9.0 review:

Gears 5 isn't just a return to form for one of Xbox's longest-running franchises, it stands as one of the best games that Microsoft has published since launching the Xbox One. Across the board, Gears 5 is filled to the brim with content that isn't just enjoyable, but provides an immense level of replayability that you'll keep coming back to time and time again. From the Campaign and Versus to Horde and the new Escape mode, Gears 5 iterates and refines the franchise for the better, making it perhaps the best entry in the entire series.

Another big change in Gears 5 is the inclusion of some borderline RPG elements. This time around, the robotic companion, Jack, plays a larger role in combat than before and comes equipped with abilities that you can use in real-time when fighting off the Swarm. Some of these include a flashbang, a cloaking device, and a mind control (hacking, as it's called) ability. You can also upgrade these abilities with a specific item type that you'll come across constantly throughout the game.

Far and away though, Escape is the most difficult mode included here in Gears 5. Especially once you start to bump the difficulty up a bit, runs can get really hectic really quickly and can end before you know it if you're not careful. Because of this, though, I think Escape is one of the more replayable features in all of Gears 5, especially since a full match isn't even that long. Escape is something that I think hardcore players will really love and it's something I'm excited to continue diving into with friends in the coming months.

Hot damn. I have the same positive reaction to Escape. I was expecting to partly ignore it, but it's one of my most-played modes without even having gotten into the level editor.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Bit surprised about the userscore on MC. I dont take those that serious. But usually its a cesspool. But the game has 1500 reviews and sits at 8.9

Dantero

Jan 23, 2018
3 new reviews added so far to MC today sept 10

90 eurogamer italy
80 XGN
80 Cultured Vultures.

Not added yet :

Dual shockers 90
IGN Italy 87

Last edited: