• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I tried to play Gears of War 1, twice and hated it. At the time I was into Halo and I hated the forced encounters in Gears. Yes, Halo had some forced encounters, but the world was pretty open outside of a few of those.

I got Gamepass Ultimate and played the first chapter of Gears 5. That was enough for me to think I better play Gears of War 4. Even though I watched the "previously on Gears" scene. I got a lot out of playing Gears 4. It really got me invested in the characters, and helped me understand the conflict up to this point.

Jumping from Gears 4 to Gears 5 is pretty big graphically, and I'm finding the combat to be more refined. I can't wait to finish it.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Glad you like it, it seems they made the right choices at TC for the fifth entry and it's a success in terms of reception by gamers.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I'm looking to play the campaign because of the more open world aspect. Thanks to gamepass I may just do that. Glad you are enjoying it OP.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ok and why did this deserve its own thread

Why bother entering the topic to whine?

OT, Gears 5 is really great. I liek the encounters as they are done very well. The sniper one is that small enclosed facility was fantastic and tense. I do think at certain points there is too much enemies to kill though.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Gears 1, favourite 360 game. But never could get into 1-3. Gears 4 the story pulled me in even if the game was dull.

Gears 5 captures that magic of Gears 1. It's unbelievably good in so many ways.

OP
OP
Merv

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't know someone couldn't like gears 1

It's admittedly a preference conflict for me. I liked how you could run past/ignore a majority of enemies in Halo, but in Gears it would lock you into a wave of enemies. I am thinking I might revisit the old Gears games after this, because I think my tastes have changed.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Gears 3 hooked me and is easily a top 5 game of the 360 era for me, and 5 is right up there. It's a great game.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
i couldnt say the same. i finished it, but the "look guys, we can do open world too!" was just too stupid to me and had me just rolling my eyes a lot of the time. all the "get to the skiff", "hold forward to advance to next objective", and dont forget to sprinkle in some (a lot) "press E to duck under this debris to access the area" just to spice things up really just took me out of it. the encounters were good and are what kept me around, but just a whole lot of filler bullshit.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit quirky to take issue with a shooter having encounters you have to play out and not run past, I think. I've enjoyed Gears 5 a good amount.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
i couldnt say the same. i finished it, but the "look guys, we can do open world too!" was just too stupid to me and had me just rolling my eyes a lot of the time. all the "get to the skiff", "hold forward to advance to next objective", and dont forget to sprinkle in some (a lot) "press E to duck under this debris to access the area" just to spice things up really just took me out of it. the encounters were good and are what kept me around, but just a whole lot of filler bullshit.

I think once the honeymoon period wears off this will be a common criticism. I loved the game but it was in spite of the pseudo-open world BS, not because of it. Totally unnecessary.

Thankfully, the rest of the game was great (aside from all the bugs).

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Man, i literally came to the board to post the same (albiet was just gonna post it in the OT)

Its sooooooo fucking good, Im genuinely surprised how much Im enjoying it.

Act 1 was great, it threw us in a really fun situation and handed us a bunch of cool tools.

Act 2 is even better, the open world stuff to my absolute surprise is impressively done, the exploration and discovery have been really enjoyable,the side missions offer bits of lore and fun upgrades that are genuinely useful and the pacing between the side stuff and the story stuff is so well done.

I feel like im still early on and my opinion can change as i progress (i remember being fairly impressed with gears 4 to start but ultimately felt meh about it) but holy shit this game has been absolutely stellar to this point and a brearh of fresh aie.

Status
Not open for further replies.