• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
Yeah I havent seen any downgrade personally.

We haven't seen the exact same locations anymore since, actually barely a thing from SP. But it should be fine.

For people that need SP stuff. The novel is coming and the first chapter you can read online or listen tho.
It directly starts after the Gears 4 ending.

I don't need to know a thing about the story or anything. Just some footage would be great.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I don't know for sure, but we have already seen it in the new Escape mode, where there are health bars and hit markers. Apparently they can be turned off, but if that loot style shooter feature made it into that mode, it would not surprise me one bit if it also exists in the campaign.
We've seen plenty of footage of escape. There aren't any more bullet sponge enemies than there are in previous Gears title. Not really sure where you got that from. Not sure where you got loot from either.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
what's so funny about his comment?
I'm currently playing Judgment and is in fact a lot better (at least the first few chapters).

I haven't played the campaigns in Judgement or Gears 4, but I remember Coalition saying they played it safe with Gears 4 because it was the first "new" game and they didn't want to alienate fans from the get go.

Hopefully they take more experiments and risk with the campaign in Gears 5. We'll find out soon.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
When people bring up the robots and act like the whole game was only robots. My alarm always goes off thinking those people probaby didnt really play the whole game.

I liked the robots. Not as the main threat, but as part of the overall package, I think they fitted into the framework well enough, aside from maybe the Guardians, whose shields made them a little annoying. The Trackers function weren't worlds apart from Tickers and mechanically I liked the idea behind having the bullet resistent DR-1 trying to force you out of cover, especially in its dying charging moments. Maybe their weapons felt too different for some Gears players, but it was never a problem to me. I even found their spawns to be pretty cool.

Wouldn't mind if they returned for a few sections in 5.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
Judgement is automatically worse for introducing those nonsensical segments into campaign, a mode where they have no place.

There's some cool lore stuff but it's that, whitewashing Cole, and the strange implications behind Bosak's disappearance in the Aftermath campaign that makes Judgment really, really bad in the campaign.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They sound quietly confident, can't wait.

Oct 29, 2017
We've seen plenty of footage of escape. There aren't any more bullet sponge enemies than there are in previous Gears title. Not really sure where you got that from. Not sure where you got loot from either.

Health bars and damage numbers flying off the screen are straight out of loot shooters. Not very difficult to ascertain where I got that from.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Health bars and damage numbers flying off the screen are straight out of loot shooters. Not very difficult to ascertain where I got that from.

That is annoying to see in Gears and I fully expect to see it in campaign as well. That's just how many AAA games work these days, being a mixture of modern trends in an attempt to appeal to everyone and to prolong playing time, which numbers and loot is a cheap way to do, but if we're lucky it doesn't affect campaign too much this time (It will probably be unavoidable in the end, but I expect the next Halo to take the full step first, with Gears 5 being just a small step - like damage numbers - in that direction).

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Given how most campaigns outstay their welcome these days, this isn't a great thing for me personally.

I'd much prefer short, sharp, punchy 5-6 hour campaigns, even IF you're trying to 100% them personally.

But I'm sure that's just me.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I hope this also means a more epic scale, I want another Gears1-to-Gears2 jump in scale and epicness. Gears4 has a good campaign, but it's rather slow at the beggining and has some too-long sections IMO. It makes sense as it is a new start, but 5 needs to be more varied and epic if they want to match Gears 2 or 3.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I get the impression now that they're proud of their story so they don't want to spoil too much before launch. Will probably be one of the stronger Gears singleplayer campaigns.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Why are you people acting like Gears 4 was dogshit? It was a super safe sequel with some flaws here and there. They have stated that they wanted to play it safe for their first game and they did. If only 343 did that. The multiplayer was still fantastic and I can't think of a better playing TPS.

Because judgement was a thing and already did the super safe sequel that no-one really wanted. The last thing the franchise needed was yet another super safe sequel...and yet gears 4 happened...plus fighting robots was litteral dogshit. They fucked up. I don't want gears 5 to take longer to complete and be THAT forgettable.

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Because judgement was a thing and already did the super safe sequel that no-one really wanted. The last thing the franchise needed was yet another super safe sequel...and yet gears 4 happened...plus fighting robots was litteral dogshit. They fucked up. I don't want gears 5 to take longer to complete and be THAT forgettable.
I don't think Judgment was safe. They fucked everything up with that one. And I agree that the robots were boring to fight. But everything else was good.

B.C.

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Sep 28, 2018
They are showing it, and they told you when they will show it

"I want it now!"

That's not how things work.
You can tell by some of the hot takes in this thread, how many are ready to pounce on the game.

I don't blame TC for holding campaign last.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
More Gears is always welcome in my book. Currently playing thru Gears of War Judgment as I've never played it before and have the Gears itch.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Judgment was super safe? It changed quite a bit - from mobility to weapon limit to control scheme to completely upending the online meta. If anything, 4 playing it safe was a reaction to the reception of Judgment's changes.

G Darksoul

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Look at all these disingenuous folks "worried" about the campaign...who are so "worried" they've brought up God of War and I believe Death Stranding...2 single player games at that...what else would they show? Rod wasn't a fan of the campaign reveals last game but obviously has a say in how its presented this time. Maybe if you're actually interested in the campaign you can wait or watch the old stuff...

Speaking of old stuff....we're quite aware that you're "worried", and why. Give it a rest already...

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
There's some cool lore stuff but it's that, whitewashing Cole, and the strange implications behind Bosak's disappearance in the Aftermath campaign that makes Judgment really, really bad in the campaign.
I never played much of Judgment beyond the first level. What did they do to Cole?