• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
They are showing it a week before release and again this generation MS marketing and games have well not been that hot or critically acclaimed, so again scepticism is warranted
Truth, and it's not like Gears 4 really assuaged my doubts about them being able to freshen the series up. Shit got real old, real fast. What saved it was playing with a friend that I don't get to see often, and just goofing around. The scenarios themselves were pretty rote for the most part.
They said they would, stop concern trolling jesus.
Completely earned, warranted concern =/= concern trolling. "Now you can ride a skiff through a beautiful but empty map to get to the same copy paste combat arena against fucking robots for the 45th time" isn't really a selling point.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Signs show its going to be kinda like an open-world.

I hope we see big epic battles with many enemies though, I loved that grand scale feeling about Gears of War 2.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like they gave it a lower budget because Kait is the protagonist.
source.gif

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how long it is, I just want it to be a lot better than 4's campaign which was pretty disappointing. The Horde sections being stuck in there probably make me think less fondly of it than I would if they weren't there but still... it wasn't great even then. I know they wanted to bring it back into a smaller, slower game with elements of horror like the first Gears but I don't think it worked out too well.

Either way, not long until we get to play it and find out!

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Love how everything is considered trolling these days my god people. Again the scepticism is warranted for reasons other people listed in this thread as well
I just dont see how its warranted because people didnt like the trailer they showed at E3. Everyone was raving about the previous trailer from the other e3, not this one, saying the campaign looks amazing. Now we're acting like the campaign is in shambles because they haven't showed anything since even though they said multiple times when they'd show it. You are making something out of nothing, like just stop lmao

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
Truth, and it's not like Gears 4 really assuaged my doubts about them being able to freshen the series up. Shit got real old, real fast. What saved it was playing with a friend that I don't get to see often, and just goofing around. The scenarios themselves were pretty rote for the most part.

Completely earned, warranted concern =/= concern trolling.
Nah, it's concern trolling. They've shown some campaign which looked amazing and they've shown a ton of MP which also looks amazing. The Coalition have also yet to put out a bad game. There's no warranted concern.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Curious to see the reviews. I thought 4 was a soulless romp with terrible characters so i'm interested in knowing whether they managed to revitalize the franchise.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly don't get the concern here but I'm also a bit biased because of Game Pass. I just can't bring myself to be "worried" about the campaign of a game I'll have access to as part of a subscription I already have. I don't wait for reviews of Netflix shows that pique my interest, I just start watching them.

With that, I'm rooting for it to be an A+ experience that starts a new marketing trend for Microsoft.

severianb

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
The amount of bitching in this thread is insane. My God people, they released campaign footage last year, go watch it. More will come in September. Move on with your lives.

What I've seen so far looks great, campaign and multiplayer. I was never a big fan of the "tunnel shooter" gameplay in previous gears, so if this semi-open world with exploration rewarded is true, it will be a huge improvement to me.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That doesn't mean much since that could lead to pacing issues.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I want to hope that the reason they're hiding campaign material is because this game really is all MS until next-gen, and an issue with quality

I really want this to be good

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
User Warned - Continued Thread Derailment & Concern Trolling
I just dont see how its warranted because people didnt like the trailer they showed at E3. Eveeryone was raving about the previous trailer from the other e3, not this one, saying the campaign looks amazing. Now we're acting like the campaign is in shambles because they haven't showed anything since even though they said multiple times when they'd show it. You are making something out of nothing, like just stop lmao
Correcr because we saw smalllll amounts of clips

And again because MS track record this gen with not talking about their games and not showing them off havent turned out well for them

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's better than Gears 4. All those Locust missions and backtracking were a slog.

Ohri-Jin

Banned
Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
I recently played Gears 1 UE and thought it was very generic, boring, and not fun to play. The story wasn't that memorable either. Should I retire this series, or should I give some of the other games a go?
Meant to play with a buddy. Co-op used to be so amazing back in the day. If I'm not mistaken you can even chainsaw the same target together! Absolutely carnage. Or we just competed together who could chainsaw certain enemies faster.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Because it's been so bad that I don't know if this game will sell well at all. The game comes out in 2 months and I don't know anything. If it's a huge surprise and the reason they've basically not marketed the game well is to surprise everyone then sure it works. But I don't know if that's the case.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
Because it's been so bad that I don't know if this game will sell well at all. The game comes out in 2 months and I don't know anything. If it's a huge surprise and the reason they've basically not marketed the game well is to surprise everyone then sure it works. But I don't know if that's the case.
It's not out until September though so they have plenty of time to fill you in. The VS beta starts tomorrow. And most importantly it's on gamepass. Do you have Gamepass?

RepedeYuriKarol

User Requested Ban
Banned
Jul 17, 2019
I love me Gears campaign but it has to have quality to match. I liked Doom 2016 but I felt it dragged on a bit too long. A longer Gears campaign would be great but only if it can keep me engaged and keep the combat from being reptitive like Acts 1and 2 in Gears 4 were. If they can replicate Acts 3-5 for 10-15 hours then it may be the best shooter campaign I've played this gen (current champ for me is Titanfall 2)

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just dont see how its warranted because people didnt like the trailer they showed at E3. Everyone was raving about the previous trailer from the other e3, not this one, saying the campaign looks amazing. Now we're acting like the campaign is in shambles because they haven't showed anything since even though they said multiple times when they'd show it. You are making something out of nothing, like just stop lmao

Nobody is saying the campaign is shambles, they're complaining about being disappointed we've not been shown more of the campaign, and also that they're not showing more till only a week before release. That is a valid complaint and also a credible point of concern. It is strange we've only seen 20 seconds of campaign gameplay for such a tentpole title that is merely a month or two from release, especially when it is counter to how 99.9% of games are marketed, including previous Gears titles.

At the end of the day, show is better than tell. All companies give off bigger and better spiel, we just need to see it now, to know if the campaign lives up to some of the marketing promises, and to see how good it looks, else all we have is marketing talk, 20 seconds of spliced campaign footage and a cutscene to form an opinion on it, which isn't a lot.

Last edited:

jasius

Oct 28, 2017
If they're pushing exploration, they're going to need faster movement than that slow deliberate plodding pace, and nobody wants to rodie run the entire exploration part.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Holy shit this thread summed up by the first 10 replies. Salty as hell from the usual suspects in xbox threads.
Looking forward to mp weekend then 5 modes to play through on release.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
Nobody is saying the campaign is shambles, they're complaining about being disappointed we've not been shown more of the campaign, and also that they're not showing more till only a week before release. That is a valid complaint and also a credible point of concern. It is strange we've only seen 20 seconds of campaign gameplay for such a tentpole title that is merely a month or two from release, especially when it is counter to how 99.9% of games are marketed, including previous Gears titles.

At the end of the day, show is better than tell. All companies give off bigger and better spiel, we just need to see it now, to know if the campaign lives up to some of the marketing promises, and to see how good it looks, else all we have is marketing talk, 20 seconds of spliced campaign footage and a cutscene to form an opinion on it, which isn't a lot.
Remember all that amazing pre release footage from GTA5 and RDR2? Me neither. We don't "need" to see a dam thing....especially when 24 hours from now we can play the dam game.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
If you didn't enjoy the core gameplay you probably won't enjoy the rest.

If you did enjoy it, I'd say give Gears 5 a shot (if the reviews are good).
I can kinda tolerate the gameplay. Are any of the sequels less gray? I was expecting the game to look better (yes, I know it's a 360 game that was updated, but still...), but the gray-ness of everything became old very quickly

Liquidsnake

Oct 27, 2017
I think the game is going to be awesome, but of course the developers are passionate about the project their team is working so hard to deliver.

Im looking forward to it, I think its coming at a great time where something like Gears 5 is needed, at least for me. My interest in games has been decreasing for the first time in my life, and this has me excited.

Nov 11, 2017
People mad over marketing campaigns dahell lol? It'll be nice to see campaign but I ain't losing sleep over something that will be revealed in a little over a month

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Would people here really be disappointed by the length of a 11-12 hour campaign? How many games can actually pull off more than that without overstaying their welcome?
I'll be more than happy with a 12 hour campaign. I'm beginning to really hate games which you have to sink more than 20-30 hours into to get the ending. There are more things in my life than just gaming.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this! Excellent main character and I've enjoyed every single previous Gears games and expect this to be no different.