• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
VersusTechTestHeader-5d1e9994c4428-1024x341.jpg

The Gears of War Tech Test is fast approaching on July 19, 2019, and we've got all the details on when, where and how you can get involved!

WHAT IS THE GEARS 5 TECH TEST?
The Technical Test is a small in-development slice of our Versus offering in Gears 5 that will run across two focused test periods this July.

WHAT CAN I EXPECT IN THE GEARS 5 TECH TEST?
For Gears 5's Technical Test, we're bringing three distinct modes across two brand new multiplayer maps to play throughout both test periods:

Arcade: A new approachable, frenetic Versus experience.

Escalation: The pinnacle objective mode of Gears is back and better than ever.

King of the Hill: Capture the hill, enjoy the carnage.

In addition, you'll also get to try out two new features of Gears 5:

Bootcamp: Practice your skills and learn new mechanics in our new training mode.

Tour Of Duty: Experience a mini Tour of Duty, where you'll complete Medals to unlock exclusive Tester Weapon Skins to take into Gears 5. Complete all 3 Medals to unlock the exclusive Tester Banner to showcase in Gears 5.

We'll reveal more about Gears 5 Versus next week followed by a weekend of electric Gears 5 Escalation action and more from the ELEAGUE Invitational tournament (July 13th – 14th).

WHEN WILL THE GEARS 5 TECH TEST BE AVAILABLE?
Beginning July 17th at 10am PDT, the Tech Test will be available to pre-download for eligible players. The Tech Test will be approximately 15GB.

The first Technical Test period will run from July 19th at 10am PDT until July 21st at 10am PDT.

The second Technical Test period will run from July 26th at 10am PDT until July 29th at 10am PDT.

During Test periods, our goal is to test our servers handling an influx of players ahead of launch day. Gears 5 has an access queue system in place to protect server stability as much as possible – please be aware you may encounter some queueing as you start to play.

Between test periods, the Tech Test will remain available for download but servers will be offline.

HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE IN THE GEARS 5 TECH TEST?
Xbox One

For Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Game Pass subscribers, access is included in your membership.

Beginning on July 17th at 10am PDT, you will be able to pre-download the Tech Test from the Game Pass Library as you would with any other game on Game Pass.

You can also access the Technical Test by pre-ordering digitally via the Xbox Store, or by redeeming a code provided when pre-ordering a physical copy at participating retailers. See below for a list of participating retailers.

As the Technical Test is online multiplayer, an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership will be required to play.

Windows 10 PC

For Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers, access is included in your membership.

You can also access the Technical Test by pre-ordering digitally via the Windows Store. Starting July 17th at 10am PDT, you can search for 'Gears 5' in the Windows Store to download the Tech Test ready for the weekend.

For players on Windows 10 PC, check out the chart below for minimum and recommended Gears 5 Tech Test specs:

Gears5_TechTest_Specs-5d1e94d1aaf5d-1024x576.jpg

WHY A TECHNICAL TEST?
This Technical Test allows us to stress test our servers over two focused Test Periods to ensure the best possible experience when large volumes of players rush in at launch.

For our PC fans, it gives us a critical opportunity to get the game onto PCs with unique combinations of hardware and software at scale. If any unforeseen issues arise, it gives us the opportunity ahead of launch to identify and address any issues ahead of release.

And of course, getting the Tech Test into your hands means we can gather your valuable feedback on each of the three modes to inform our development as we march towards launch day and beyond.

Thank you for your support and excitement for the Gears 5 Tech Test. We can't wait to join you out there to play some Gears 5 Versus!

TC

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Oh yeah baby, I'm ready!

Really curious to see what Arcade mode is all about. Smart move to make a more accessible mode for people instead of forcing the entire Versus into a more casual friendly state that alienates long time fans. This will hopefully provide something for everyone.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm really hyped for this. Gears multiplayer is still some of the pinnacle of PvP for my taste and I'm so ready to jump in on a new game. I've recently picked Gears 4 back up and it just plays so great. I re-upped once and I'm halfway through reaching a second but doubt I'll get there in time.

Excited to see how this one looks and plays.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Campaign > Horde > Campain Co-Op > Versus

I just have never been able to get into Versus with Gears though I'll certainly check the test out and see if the new modes can help ease me in.

Gears 5 is going to be amazing!

o Tesseract

Oct 28, 2017
Are there any details on what the hell "Arcade" mode is?

I'm definitely going to check this out. The versus is basically the only reason I play Gears. I put over 200 hours in Gears 4 alone, and pretty much all of that was in versus. For reference, I never even got beyond the first act in the campaign because it was so insanely boring.

Hopefully something like an endless version of 1000 ticket BF3 lobbies where you can just go in, kill fools, ignore the score, and never get tossed back into a lobby.
This would be awesome. Sometimes this is all I want. Log on, pop some heads, log off. No need to worry about score, crappy teammates, or getting sweaty.

Oct 27, 2017
Sweet. Will definitely be hopping in, looking forward to seeing how things have been changed up, especially in Arcade.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The versus is basically the only reason I play Gears. I put over 200 hours in Gears 4 alone, and pretty much all of that was in versus. For reference, I never even got beyond the first act in the campaign because it was so insanely boring.

I'm essentially the same. Probably speaks to my taste of preferring multiplayer/social experiences over single player stuff but I have never finished the Gears 4 campaign. I've put hundreds of hours into versus and horde though. I think it's a phenomenal game despite not particularly caring for the story mode.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see interest in this game on Era. We're always looking for people to play with in our Friday night gears sessions. Hit me up if you want to play. Bronze --> Diamond players are welcome

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"An alternative and probably more efficient way would be to subscribe to Xbox Game Pass for PC, which will also get you in.

In terms of Steam, this is a new venture for Gears - and Xbox Games in general bar MCC - so bear with us a little. We're not talking about Steam yet, but that time will come"

mueske

Apr 11, 2019
A 2080 for "ideal"? For a game also coming out for the base Xbox One? Well.. I'm surprised.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
A 2080 for "ideal"? For a game also coming out for the base Xbox One? Well.. I'm surprised.
Gears 4 was scaled back on XB1 with Campaign/Horde running at 30fps.

we also had the lead designer state that cloud computing was helping the game hold 30fps/60fps in Escape, in response to a question about being able to play the mode offline.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Probably get more details on it on the 13th is my guess. When the esport tournament is happening with Gears 5.
Btw remember tonight we get a first look also at Gears 5 versus. But the "normal" one during episode 4 of the show they are doing.

Skel

Oct 27, 2017
France
Strange to lock the Versus Tech Test for the Windows Store version while flights for Halo TMMC are on Steam.

I'll miss it, then.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"Gears 5 has an access queue system in place to protect server stability as much as possible "

Missed that one. Thats good.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Strange to lock the Versus Tech Test for the Windows Store version while flights for Halo TMMC are on Steam.

I'll miss it, then.

There's a key difference in that, in this case, beta access is a pre-order/Game Pass incentive, so I presume the idea is to follow in Ubi's pre-EGS footsteps and keep pre-orders off Steam until the transition to open beta/end of public beta testing (if there won't be an open beta). A little annoying, sure, but perfectly understandable.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
my 1070 did pretty damn well with gow4 at 1440p, im hoping that will hold the same here.

Vj27

Feb 10, 2019
I hope it's cross play between steam and windows 10 pc's only at least for versus. Hackers are a real thing (yes they can exist on consoles but we all know who the real culprits/most accused are in this, it's literally easier to do on pc, YouTube gears 4 aimbots for an example) and I'd rather not play against that. Especially since this game is tailor made to give M&K advantages, it's not like how halo is where you don't have to have precision aim to ONLY win firefights. Good radar awareness or sneaking or even just spamming nades still give you a fighting chance, gears on the other hand... just not a good mix in my opinion. Plus with gamepass and steam they'll be more than enough players to sustain the two store fronts pc only community. Anyways I'm hyped as hell to chainsaw some gru- I mean swarms.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I hope it's cross play between steam and windows 10 pc's only at least for versus. Hackers are a real thing (yes they can exist on consoles but we all know who the real culprits/most accused are in this, it's literally easier to do on pc, YouTube gears 4 aimbots for an example) and I'd rather not play against that. Especially since this game is tailor made to give M&K advantages, it's not like how halo is where you don't have to have precision aim to ONLY win firefights. Good radar awareness or sneaking or even just spamming nades still give you a fighting chance, gears on the other hand... just not a good mix in my opinion. Plus with gamepass and steam they'll be more than enough players to sustain the two store fronts pc only community. Anyways I'm hyped as hell to chainsaw some gru- I mean swarms.
Gears requires very precise control of movement, which evens the playing field for controller users.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017

been playing Gears 4 since launch and have never crossed paths with someone cheating

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Halo with mouse and keyboard has a way bigger advantage then in Gears. Gears is way more about movement like Kasey said. But we have had this talk already with Gears 4 crossplay.
Even the Coalition came with backend stuff there wasnt much difference in winrates etc.

Goodacre0081

Oct 25, 2017
didn't see these two things mentioned in the thread. Kill cams and flashbangs

Last edited: