• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
VersusTechTest-1.jpg

Welcome back soldier! Back at E3 2018, we got our first glimpse at the next big Gears game. Now, July 17th, we will have our first public hands-on on the brand new but also familiar Versus mode. Introducing new maps, new modes and new characters, this test will be essential for the team at The Coalition to get Gears 5's Versus mode ready for launch on September 10th or September 6th if you purchase the Ultimate edition/are subscribed to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate.

What can you expect in the Gears 5 Tech Test?

For Gears 5's Technical Test, you will be able to play three distinct modes across two brand new multiplayer maps to play throughout both test periods:
  • Arcade: A new approachable, frenetic Versus experience.
  • Escalation: The pinnacle objective mode of Gears is back and better than ever.
  • King of the Hill: Capture the hill, enjoy the carnage.

In addition, you'll also get to try out two new features of Gears 5:
  • Bootcamp: Practice your skills and learn new mechanics in our new training mode.
  • Tour Of Duty: Experience a mini Tour of Duty, where you'll complete Medals to unlock exclusive Tester Weapon Skins to take into Gears 5. Complete all 3 Medals to unlock the exclusive Tester Banner to showcase in Gears 5.

You can find all the info on https://www.gears5.com/techtest

The two playable maps during the tech tests are District and Training Grounds.

Msr5HlG.png

When will the Gears 5 Tech Test be available?
Beginning July 17th at 10am PDT, the Tech Test will be available to pre-download for eligible players. The Tech Test will be approximately 15GB.

t1563382800z4.png

The first Technical Test period will run from July 19th at 10am PDT until July 22nd at 10am PDT.

t1563555600z4.png

The second Technical Test period will run from July 26th at 10am PDT until July 29th at 10am PDT.

t1564160400z4.png

During Test periods, thegoal is to test the servers handling an influx of players ahead of launch day. Gears 5 has an access queue system in place to protect server stability as much as possible – please be aware you may encounter some queueing as you start to play.

Between test periods, the Tech Test will remain available for download but servers will be offline.

How can I participate in the Gears 5 Tech Test?
Xbox One
  • For Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Game Pass subscribers, access is included in your membership.
  • Beginning on July 17th at 10am PDT, you will be able to pre-download the Tech Test from the Game Pass Library as you would with any other game on Game Pass.
  • You can also access the Technical Test by pre-ordering digitally via the Xbox Store, or by redeeming a code provided when pre-ordering a physical copy at participating retailers. See below for a list of participating retailers.
  • As the Technical Test is online multiplayer, an Xbox Live Gold or Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership will be required to play.

Windows 10 PC
  • For Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers, access is included in your membership.
  • You can also access the Technical Test by pre-ordering digitally via the Windows Store. Starting July 17th at 10am PDT, you can search for 'Gears 5' in the Windows Store to download the Tech Test ready for the weekend.
  • You can not partake the technical test via Steam.
  • For players on Windows 10 PC, check out the chart below for minimum and recommended Gears 5 Tech Test specs:

dTW6QHQ.png

Additional Information

Other Common Questions & Info:
  • Tours of Duty will features challenges in order to bring rewards into the full game
  • Gears 5 has universal tuning, so this won't feature "core" nor "competitive" tuning
  • Yes, there will be Crossplay.

Physical Pre-Order Tech Test Access

These are the participating retailers who will supply 5×5 codes to access the Technical Test. Please contact your local retailer for further support on acquiring your code. If your retailer of choice is currently not listed, please enquire directly with them for more information.

• Amazon
  • Best Buy
  • Walmart
Mexico
  • Amazon
  • Best Buy
  • Claners
  • Game Planet
  • Gamers
  • Walmart
United Kingdom / Ireland
  • Amazon
  • GAME
  • Gamestop
  • Smyths Toys
Canada
  • Amazon.ca
  • Best Buy
  • The Source
France
  • FNAC
DACH
  • Amazon
  • Media Markt
  • Saturn;
Australia
  • EB Games
  • Harvey Norman
  • JB Hi Fi
New Zealand
  • EB Games
  • JB Hi Fi
  • Mighty Ape
Brazil
  • Amazon
Benelux
  • BOL
  • Game Mania
  • MSH NL
  • Smortoys
Central and Eastern Europe
  • Alza
  • Euro
  • Game Studio
  • JRC
  • Konzolvilag
  • Mall Group
  • Media Markt
  • Mediaexpert
  • MSH NL
  • Neonet
  • Programing
China
  • Cool Game
  • Game Time
  • Mingren
Hong Kong
  • Brightex
  • Broadway
  • Fortress
  • Suning
Iberia
  • Amazon
  • CRF
  • ECI
  • Game
  • Media Markt
  • Worten
  • Xtralife

Mediterranean
  • Amazon
  • GameStop
  • Unieuro
Nordics
  • CDON
  • Media Markt
  • Webhallen
Russia
  • DNS
  • Eldorado
  • Mvideo
  • Vidioigr.net
Singapore
  • GameMartz
  • Qisahn
South Korea
  • 11st
  • Gmarket
Taiwan
  • Bahamut
  • Play-E
  • Wang-Chi

Media:
Trailers:

Livestreams:

Gifs:

pMll0CA.gif

MemorablePoorLeopard-size_restricted.gif
PlasticSpitefulBellfrog-size_restricted.gif

PalatableOilyAfricangoldencat-size_restricted.gif
GivingRaggedIndianpangolin-size_restricted.gif

YsbSFUT.gif

(credit to Klobrille on the last gif and Samuel Tolbert for the inspiration on the OT title 🍻)​

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Game Pass really changed my approach to franchises like these that I never was a huge fan of, but being abel to join the party both on the beta and the full game right away with nothing to lose is a gamechanger. Game looks spectacular graphics-wise, last games in the franchise I played are 3 and the remake of the first game, so I'm curious to see how the gameplay's feel evolved.

Worst case scenario it's gonna be a serviceable campaign with one of the best graphics on console. Good for me. Excited to try the multiplayer out tomorrow in the meantime.

Jun 22, 2018
Very excited to give this a shot. I'm more of a campaign guy when it comes to Gears, but I always enjoy playing versus for a bit.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Have fun everyone. I'll be drinking beers at a festival this whole weekend. So no Gears for me.

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
So where do i get this?
I can install Gears 5 standard edition preorder in the Xbox PC beta App.
Is that the play test? Or do I have to search in the regular Microsoft store?

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I cleared out my Friday night for this. I'm busy on Saturday and Sunday so hopefully the Tour of Duty goals are not that hard to achieve :D

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Wow i have to have game pass for the beta? Ugh.
Well i guess its only 2 bucks i don't know

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
God this game looks amazing. It's crazy to think come the end of the year I'll have a good gears and halo reach to play on PC with my buddies (who all used to be big 360 guys and now are strictly PC players). I could never get my friends into Gears 4 because of windows store and low activity. This basically feels like the first proper gears on PC and thanks to gamepass there really is no excuse!

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass really changed my approach to franchises like these that I never was a huge fan of, but being abel to join the party both on the beta and the full game right away with nothing to lose is a gamechanger. Game looks spectacular graphics-wise, last games in the franchise I played are 3 and the remake of the first game, so I'm curious to see how the gameplay's feel evolved.

Worst case scenario it's gonna be a serviceable campaign with one of the best graphics on console. Good for me. Excited to try the multiplayer out tomorrow in the meantime.

The whole Gold -> Game Pass Ultimate conversion was such a great idea. I have three years of Game Pass when otherwise I'd have no sub. I'd be there for Gears no matter what but it's easy to justify getting game pass ultimate when I wanted to check it out for PC anyway and since it counts as XBL Gold, it just works out well for me.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
The guy on stream did say that people with Xbox Game Pass can also play on W10 PC but he was busy playing the game so it's possible he just misspoke and didn't correct himself.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
The guy on stream did say that people with Xbox Game Pass can also play on W10 PC but he was busy playing the game so it's possible he must misspoke and didn't correct himself.
https://www.gears5.com/techtest
Windows 10 PC

For Xbox Game Pass Ultimate or Xbox Game Pass for PC subscribers, access is included in your membership.

You can also access the Technical Test by pre-ordering digitally via the Windows Store. Starting July 17th at 10am PDT, you can search for 'Gears 5' in the Windows Store to download the Tech Test ready for the weekend.

This has been known since the announcement, unless you mean the standard gamepass and not just Ultimate.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I played some Gears 4 yesterday and was already getting back into it a little. I really hope Gears 5 does feel like Gears 3. I think that was the peak of the series despite the power of the retro lancer and I guess the sawed-off even though it was easily countered.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
This has been known since the announcement, unless you mean the standard gamepass and not just Ultimate.
Yeah, the standard Xbox gamepass.

Again, I only got my hopes up cause the guy on stream said it but we'll know for sure in a few hours. I mean, the full game itself is also available on W10 PC if you have Xbox game pass so that's why I kinda assumed.

Friskyrum

Jun 25, 2019
Yeah, the standard Xbox gamepass.

Again, I only got my hopes up cause the guy on stream said it but we'll know for sure in a few hours. I mean, the full game itself is also available on W10 PC if you have Xbox game pass so that's why I kinda assumed.
Gotcha, thought that's what you were talking about when I was in the middle of typing that up lol, yeah I guess we'll see. :P

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
so when its up to pre-download, will i be able to search it on my game pass app and queue it for download? >=)