• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I don't know, but you are one of the people reacting strongly to this.

Yes, I do. I lost many dear to me because of smoking. And everyone should choose for themselves if they want to smoke or not. But if we want to achieve a world without smoking, these efforts in media are important. That's why I react so strongly.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
User Warned: Inappropriate Commentary
Some of you seem like you're trying really hard to find controversy here, when there really is none.
Not really. Even from his replies this seems really a convenient time to drum up marketing support. As I said almost nobody cares if there is smoking in this game. Nobody is going to light a pack of cigs or cigars up because of Gears of War did it. The idea that Gears of War is somehow contributing to smoking is ridiculous. His idea that a game is escape fantasy filled with extreme violence does actually seem like a convenient excuse to model his game on standards for one issue but to let another issue go by because obviously he wouldn't have much of a game without it. So he can't stop violence why try? He can't stop smoking either so why try? IDK. I don't have all the answers. What he is doing is fine even if it is for marketing. It's his deal. That's the main point here. He can do what he wants. I don't see an issue with it.

Vape and nicotine are bigger than tobacco will ever be at this point, and tobacco is not getting bigger it's getting a LOT less popular in a lot of places. Yes, some countries have a some problems with tobacco, but it has nearly nothing to do with videogames. Asian countries have major issues with smoking due to peer pressure and because they haven't had the time to see exactly what it does to the body after many years en masse.

Rod's replies seem somewhat generic and random to me outside of the personal people in his life that were affected. I get that somebody he knows died of lung cancer. My grandfather died of lung cancer. Has nothing to do with anything for me anyway, and I certainly wouldn't be trying to make this some huge issue if it weren't for marketing of my game. I for one don't mind people smoking in media as long as they aren't hawking it on people. It's not a big deal to me. Teach your children about media.

That being said I don't care what he does. If this is what he wants so be it.

Last edited:

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing, the less smoking there is the better.

Makes me remember when Riot took the cigarrete out of a character from League of Legends mouth and everyone lost their minds.

Gravescomparison.jpg

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
So many bizarre reactions to this news on here....I am a bit taken aback tbh....I thought this place was always about doing the right thing.
People stating 'but what about chainsaws' need to grow the fuck up and stop attention whoring on the internet.
Oh boy.....this has got me pissed off....lol.....sorry about that.
FUCK SMOKING!

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lot of people going to bat for the tobacco industry in this topic. Jesus.

I'm glad they are doing this. Smoking is a scourge. The more things against it the better.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
Yes, I do. I lost many dear to me because of smoking. And everyone should choose for themselves if they want to smoke or not. But if we want to achieve a world without smoking, these efforts in media are important. That's why I react so strongly.
I don't care to achieve a world without smoking. I'm not trying to fix the world to my own interpretation of perfection. If that is what you want hey I support you.
Lot of people going to bat for the tobacco industry in this topic. Jesus.

I'm glad they are doing this. Smoking is a scourge. The more things against it the better.
I mean the tobacco industry is fucking evil as all fuck. Sadly, smoking tobacco isn't shit anymore for most of the world. It's on to vapes, which are much healthier in low doses. But getting kids hooked on nicotine is not good. I don't think the tobacco industry in itself is really being defended here by many people.

It's the uncertainty of the words in the article some people are concerned about. The wording about higher-ups and Rod's own opinions seems to be causing a rift.

If one thing should be certain in all of this it is fuck the tobacco companies. Vaping in itself did not come from them, and it's partially something they have only adopted because it's massively interfering with their own sales and still gets people somewhat addicted to nicotine. Not sure much can be done about vapes though. They are way too convenient. I vape myself now and then, but I certainly as fuck don't support any tobacco companies.

Katana_Strikes

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 29, 2017
It's a great gesture but if they'd said nowt and no one was smoking in Gears5 I doubt anyone would have noticed a difference. If Gears was known for glorifying smoking or even had it prominent, I'd understand the PR, otherwise seems a little redundant.

Miles Davis

Alt account
Banned
Jun 22, 2019
It's a great gesture but if they'd said nowt and no one was smoking in Gears5 I doubt anyone would have noticed a difference. If Gears was known for glorifying smoking or even had it prominent, I'd understand the PR, otherwise seems a little redundant.

I kind of agree with this myself. But I'm not against promoting your own game as long as it is not sleazy. And we all know tobacco companies can rot in hell.

Feb 10, 2018
Smoking in media is one of the best examples of how easily influenced humans are.
They truly got me, the smoking man in xfiles, snake in metal gear, the characters in pulp fiction, Arnie with his cigars etc they all looked really cool to me and made me want to smoke.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
imo they should include smoking in games.

But make it so when your character smokes they lose stamina and health.