• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Click left trigger on the main menu, go down to the ratio at the bottom left, click it, go right and and you'll see that most of those sections offer skins for completing them. Levelling up the tour of duty also gives skins. To see those, click left trigger, click Y, scroll right.

I'm referring to Weapon Skins. Those character skins should be unlockables after completing the campaign like previous Gears. Not even worth my time grinding for those

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
I get the argument that these are overpriced and they're creating artificial urgency to buy them, but they also don't matter.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
I was just browsing Game Pass cause I got a 14 day trial with the new Elite controller, and I was shocked at how bad the user reviews at for Gears 5. Seems like the way the MTs work is not very popular.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I'll say it a million times, but the MTX in Gears 4 was handled way better than it is in 5. Sure it was lootbox. But scrap was easy to come by and I was easily able to craft whatever i wanted without paying. Now the system is just hella whack with the tour of duty being the most random challenges and a pretty slow burn even with the drops.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
You know something is rubbish when you constantly hear people say they want lootboxes back.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Doesn't help that the multiplayer sucks too. Seems a lot of fans don't like the game's emphasis on lancer fights and open maps.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
People forget how atrocious loot boxes were at Gears 4's launch. TC will probably improve the economy of 5 before too long like they did with 4.

Oct 29, 2017
This "only cosmetic" propaganda is obnoxious and indicative of how brainwashed the average video game consumer is. Pretty sure that customizing your character is in fact "gameplay" and designing a character avatar in multiplayer is a big part of multiplayer games. It's so frustrating watching people on this site continue to defend this garbage. Also, lets acknowledge that publishers/developers preying on sharks is in itself pretty gross. These aren't trust fund kids with cash to spend, by in large the people that buy this stuff are the ones who are addicted to the unlock loop and likely play the title for 40+ hours a week. If you play videogames, you've likely interacted with these folks, have you ever encountered one that seems happy? Like if anyone was actually being serious about this stuff, they would acknowledge that these mechanics are anti-consumer and really a gross reflection of unfettered capitalism in the digital age.

Also, I will continually point out, unless we know the specifics of how much of this money gets re-invested into games as service stuff, it's really stupid and ignorant to claim that it's definitively good for the health of the title. This is literally an unknowable unless Microsoft wants to be more transparent about where this revenue goes.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I've never understood why anyone cares about microtransactions/ loot boxes - just don't buy them?? If there's a child playing on an account set up a password, people do this on phones/tablets all the time??

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, I agree. It has killed some of my enthusiasm for the game as well. I wish we could go back to the days of Gears 3 when you had a ton of options and you just bought what you wanted at anytime because this false sense of rarity hadn't yet poisoned the well.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
This "only cosmetic" propaganda is obnoxious and indicative of how brainwashed the average video game consumer is. Pretty sure that customizing your character is in fact "gameplay" and designing a character avatar in multiplayer is a big part of multiplayer games. It's so frustrating watching people on this site continue to defend this garbage. Also, lets acknowledge that publishers/developers preying on sharks is in itself pretty gross. These aren't trust fund kids with cash to spend, by in large the people that buy this stuff are the ones who are addicted to the unlock loop and likely play the title for 40+ hours a week. If you play videogames, you've likely interacted with these folks, have you ever encountered one that seems happy? Like if anyone was actually being serious about this stuff, they would acknowledge that these mechanics are anti-consumer and really a gross reflection of unfettered capitalism in the digital age.

Also, I will continually point out, unless we know the specifics of how much of this money gets re-invested into games as service stuff, it's really stupid and ignorant to claim that it's definitively good for the health of the title. This is literally an unknowable unless Microsoft wants to be more transparent about where this revenue goes.

LOL. This nonsense.

When are people just going to accept that many gamers (maybe most?) just don't care that much about cosmetics that don't actually affect gameplay? It's fine if you think that customizing your character is gameplay, but I assure you most do not. I certainly couldn't give two shits.

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
But they don't affect gameplay. They're not pay to win 🤷‍♂️
So you are making straw man arguments to suit your agenda? I prefer cosmetic microtransactions over paid map packs that split up the community or loot boxes. Pick your battles. If it bothers you so much don't play the game. Pretty simple. Vote with your wallet.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
inb4 the entire reply section is simply people defending it because it's "just cosmetic"

So dumb. Borderlands 3 gives you TONS of cosmetics for ingame only currency that can't even be purchased with real money.

Talk about a shock, Gearbox showing the industry how it should be done.

its crazy how people defend it.

why not just play with wire frame models and everything else costs money? it doesnt effect the gameplay.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's a shame. Sadly thought with Gears 4 it was already bad and seemingly not enough of an outrage was caused by it, so feared it'd get worse with 5 and here we are.
Won't be surprised to see Halo Infinite do some worse things too sadly, though if they're gonna do a battle pass system like MCC maybe I'll be more on board, at least judging from how destiny has implemented it.

Oct 29, 2017
LOL. This nonsense.

When are people just going to accept that many gamers (maybe most?) just don't care that much about cosmetics that don't actually affect gameplay? It's fine if you think that customizing your character is gameplay, but I assure you most do not. I certainly couldn't give two shits.

I assure you the people who don't think customizing their character is gameplay are people who are being overly reductive in order to defend the predatory behaviors of publishers. Also, please consider the rest of what I wrote. Even if you don't consider it gameplay, it's still gross how it preys on people with addictive personalities, and the overall benefits that it has on "games as service" are dubious at best.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
I assure you the people who don't think customizing their character is gameplay are people who are being overly reductive in order to defend the predatory behaviors of publishers. Also, please consider the rest of what I wrote. Even if you don't consider it gameplay, it's still gross how it preys on people with addictive personalities, and the overall benefits that it has on "games as service" are dubious at best.

I read what you wrote and called it nonsense. It's hyperbolic nonsense. Most people won't ever, ever care that cosmetic changes cost money, and people will just have to deal with that. You cant try and gaslight people into thinking that they're defending "predatory" practices and are braindead when doing so, but doing that won't make a difference. Also this strawman "think about the children" argument about people with addicitive personalities needs to stop.

But keep fighting that good fight against "predatory" gun skins and splatter patterns, lol.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Very good post, people on this forum should really know better but just defend it because their favourite game has it in.
Especially good are the "microtransactions are bad but in this game they aren't so bad" defence that I see for almost every game now.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Expect even more of this stuff in the future as games lose value more because of subscription services. I don't care much for cosmetics so it benefits me in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing how Gears 5 is 24th most popular game on Xbox... Fuck it, it is not going to build the community, it is a dead end.

At this point, MS should make it really cheap to pimp your characters, because they are not going to make any meaningful return of investment anyway.