• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
MOD EDIT:
Please refrain from generalizations and console warrior rhetoric, thank you *tips hat*

---

Pehj2Mr.png

While they are under no obligation to release their game on Nintendo's console, I find it distasteful to have used Nintendo fans during the Kickstarter process only to completely disregard them after the fact. They teased a potential Wii U version during their fundraising in order to entice Nintendo fans into committing to the Kickstarter. Since then, there has been radio silence followed by outright condescension/dismissal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Has anybody else brought an Unreal Engine 3 game to Switch yet? I just don't know how feasible it is for a developer to do that if there's no precedent.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Pehj2Mr.png

While they are under no obligation to release their game on Nintendo's console, I find it distasteful to have used Nintendo fans during the Kickstarter process only to completely disregard them after the fact. They teased a potential Wii U version during their fundraising in order to entice Nintendo fans into committing to the Kickstarter. Since then, there has been radio silence followed by outright condescension/dismissal.
Well, he can release where he wants, but a switch version would sell really well.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pehj2Mr.png

I wonder if the game was even successful with how little I ever heard of the game. Strange they would ignore the most obvious platformer and indie explosion market. Do they not like money or are they just moving on from A Hat in Time?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the game was even successful with how little I ever heard of the game. Strange they would ignore the most obvious platformer and indie explosion market. Do they not like money or are they just moving on from A Hat in Time?
I suspect there might be more politics than anything else

JakeD

Nov 7, 2017
This game runs like crap on my ps4. It doesn't even run that well on my 970 pc. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these guys couldn't get it running on a Switch even if they wanted to. And I'm sure they want to cause it would be a money tree for a game like this

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017

Was the game made in UE3 and does the Switch support that? And if so, would it be feasible for a small team with a low budget to put the amount of work necessary to do a Switch port?

Not being confrontational. I seriously don't know. I thought the game was made in an engine the Switch doesn't support.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was the game made in UE3 and does the Switch support that? And if so, would it be feasible for a small team with a low budget to put the amount of work necessary to do a Switch port?

Not being confrontational. I seriously don't know. I thought the game was made in an engine the Switch doesn't support.
That's a good point I haven't thought of, that might be a big one. And no worries lol I didn't think you were being confrontational, just a normal conversation

gordofredito

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
saying the game isn't good just because it isn't coming to the Switch is hypocritical and dumb, the game is phenomenal. Just because it isn't coming to the Switch doesn't mean you should hate on it

It's no Mario Odyssey but it's as close as it gets, especially considering it's an indie title with less than 1/4th the budget. It has a lot of charm as well, strongly recommended

OP
OP
Tsukinopio

Tsukinopio

Banned
Dec 2, 2017

Yes. Rocket League is UE3.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Wasn't RL ported by an outside development studio? I highly doubt Gears For Breakfast can afford something like that. RL prints money. A Hat In Time certainly does not.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Sorry, wasn't really following your conversation, just adding to the fact.

For what it's worth, I'd love for a switch release, but my 1060 got me through just fine, and I've already completed the game, so really not necessary for me.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Sorry, wasn't really following your conversation, just adding to the fact.

For what it's worth, I'd love for a switch release, but my 1060 got me through just fine, and I've already completed the game, so really not necessary for me.

Oh, you didn't do anything wrong! You actually made it so I didn't have to type as much to my second post! :D

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
This game runs like crap on my ps4. It doesn't even run that well on my 970 pc. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say these guys couldn't get it running on a Switch even if they wanted to. And I'm sure they want to cause it would be a money tree for a game like this
At what resolution? At 1920x1080 it runs at a locked 60fps on my GTX 780 at maximum settings.

Giudecca

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, the Switch doesn't support UE3, which the game is running on. The Rocket League folks had to hire a team specifically to port the game over, and could do so because the game has sold literally millions of copies.

SteamSpy lists the copies sold at 100K, which is actually not bad at all for a indie Kickstarter game. People just don't talk about it here because of the JonTron controversy. It sucks too because it's a legitimately good 3D platformer unlike Yooka Laylee (sorry, Yooka Laylee fans).

Oct 25, 2017
SteamSpy lists the copies sold at 100K, which is actually not bad at all for a indie Kickstarter game. People just don't talk about it here because of the JonTron controversy.
Its lack of general mindspace would not be because of that whole thing, but because it released on the tail end of two very hyped up indie titles (Cuphead and Steamworld Dig 2) as well as in the general area of Super Mario Odyssey. Even if they made money back in the end, it's hard to position yourself in that release window. Sales didn't go above 75k until the console ports released.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
SteamSpy lists the copies sold at 100K, which is actually not bad at all for a indie Kickstarter game. People just don't talk about it here because of the JonTron controversy. It sucks too because it's a legitimately good 3D platformer unlike Yooka Laylee (sorry, Yooka Laylee fans).

Lead behind the game's a general shithead and has been since their TF2 modding years, i wasnt gonna buy Hat in Time from that dude regardless

Oct 31, 2017
I had been really hoping for a Switch version but the reasons for it not coming short of a total rehaul makes sense to me, so no complaints on that end. If I'm buying the PC version instead I'll just wait til its dirt cheap on sale in the future. I'm in no rush.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
As others have said, the Switch doesn't support UE3, which the game is running on. The Rocket League folks had to hire a team specifically to port the game over, and could do so because the game has sold literally millions of copies.
I was under the impression none of the 3 current consoles had official UE3 support and that Epic directed devs to use UE4. Wii U and Vita were the last platforms I remember getting UE3 officially announced for them.

Also, Rocket League was ported by the same company (Panic Button) on both Xbox One and Switch, plus they also took over PS4 support and updates (including creating the PS4 Pro build) for Psyonix. It's not as if an outside developer was hired specifically for the Switch version there.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Pehj2Mr.png

What's with the developer's attitude?

megaStryke

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
California
What's with the developer's attitude?
More frustration at hearing the same comments over and over and over again than anything else. I remember he was a bit more gung ho about the prospects of a Switch port when the console was released, but it seems like to many roadblocks wouldn't make it feasible. Now he has to deal with the annoying peanut gallery.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
whenever you can be snarky to your fanbase when they want to give you their money, you gotta do it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wasnt this known ?
I think they should have at least tried to bring it on Switch...but it sounds like they wont do it at this point because they are pissed so many people asked or even demanded it lol.

Oct 26, 2017

It's a small team, I think with the units the sold on pc (122K units) they already did a profit.

(and the guy could be a bit more polite in his tweets)

FiXalaS

Oct 27, 2017
Kuwait.
More frustration at hearing the same comments over and over and over again than anything else. I remember he was a bit more gung ho about the prospects of a Switch port when the console was released, but it seems like to many roadblocks wouldn't make it feasible. Now he has to deal with the annoying peanut gallery.
better to not reply then. :/ Just say it once that you aren't bringing it for whatever reasons.

a lot of devs are getting hammered with this, but this is a first for me to see someone replying with such an attitude.

Its their loss, Its obvious the audience on Switch would buy the game but what do I know.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
ok, that's fine...don't see an issue.

How did they entice wii U owners.
I remember this game from years ago, did they promise it on Wii U?

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone

The game did get quite a bit of promotion during the beta and final release from youtubers/streamers. The creator and Jontron definitely lowered its sales potential.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
While they are under no obligation to release their game on Nintendo's console, I find it distasteful to have used Nintendo fans during the Kickstarter process only to completely disregard them after the fact.

"used nintendo fans". If referencing an old nintendo game console is "using nintendo fans", i would have thought people would have been more livid when Undertale didnt come to Switch considering it takes inspiration from Mother a lot.

These guys have various reason they have stated they are not porting to switch. They have gotten tons of crap on twitter and elsewhere just because they have stated they had made that decision, and i would be angry and tired repeating myself too if i had to be the one on twitter as a developer fielding shitty comments.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
It's their decision and regardless of the reason, I'm sure they hate losing the revenue.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I can't believe how many people are taking this personally.

The game runs bad on PS4 and you need to come up with conspiracy theories to attempt to explain why it isn't coming to a far weaker console?

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
No Switch version, bad attitude in his replies and no denouncing of Jontron. Well, that makes this pretty easy for me to get over.

Oct 25, 2017
He seems like a bit of an asshat from them screens if I'm being fair.

Also, it not coming to Switch is no big deal, there is other fantastic platformers on the console.

Status
Not open for further replies.