• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping I can get an adult response here as i am genuinely curious...
Why does this matter in a video game?

Why does anything matter? A weird question there, but to respond more seriously, it's cool to be represented and supported, especially if it's things that get you bullied/discriminated in real life all too often. Here you can proudly wear your colours, knowing that the devs support your cause, so if someone harasses you for it they're gonna get the shorter straw, not you.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For a game that was once considered a dudebro gore shooter, this franchise has come a long way. I love to see it

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

People like to have things that show others something about them. T-shirts are a very common example of this. American flag shirts, band t-shirts, gaming t-shirts. You can display your interest in something or your membership in something. And then maybe someone else who recognizes it will talk to you and you have a moment of camaraderie or friendship.

But no one ever got beat to death for liking Super Metroid. It isn't illegal in dozens of countries to like Megadeth. In many places in the world, having a gender/sexual preference/identity outside of the very standard basic heterosexual alignment means that a person will suffer from it. Hate speech, violence, less actual rights.

So because there are so many societal risks that come with being yourself, people can be proud to have overcome some of those dangers, or to be themselves in the face of them. It's why gay pride makes sense and straight pride events don't, because there's no societal persecution for being straight.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
When I play Crash Team Racing, I put an Argentina flag on my car to represent my country of birth and heritage.

This is like that, only often far more important to someone's identity.

We like to represent ourselves in video games, and wearing a pride flag is a significant way of doing that. Just like being able to design a character who looks like yourself. Also, for many people, it's impossible to be open about your gender identity IRL without facing bigotry, so being able to proudly display it in a safer environment is cathartic.

Last edited:

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
This is legitimately heartwarming to see lol. They've got the non-binary one too 🥰 like wow, close to can't even levels here rn. I hadn't expected to play but as it's on Gamepass I'll definitely be doing so.

Why do people care about national flags or themed items in some games like Fortnite? It's something small but nice for people to feel recognised and represented by if they wish.

Ravenhawk

Oct 27, 2017
People like to express themselves. It's why you see so many games selling customization items.
Some people like their gender/sexual identity represented in games.

Are you straight? Because if so you're getting represented in 99.9% of games to the point you probably don't notice anymore.

It's a cool opportunity for people to express and display something proudly about themselves. The game also has a collection of national flags you can display; this is in the same vein.
Because when you play a video game, often times you're playing as you. If you want to be represented and part of you and your identity is pride, why not be able to represent that?

I guess I never "identified" with a video game character, or felt that it was a representation of myself, as I just played to have fun, but your explanations make sense that it might be different for others.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I appreciate it.

Metalik

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Moscow, Russia
User banned (permanent): troll account

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Metalik with great posts in the Witcher 3 Ciri thread like:

Why? Just filling the quotas feels degrading. What's next? The return of token *insert ethnicity here* characters? Oh, wait, it's already a thing.

I mean, I have no problem having POC characters where they fit. But Eastern Europe is as white as it gets.
Besides, rewriting the characters to fit the quotas is stupid.
If people want a representation of something, they should push for original content with that, not a forced remake of something that has been already established.

Or:

Come on, dude, you are playing a game which has fantasy in it's name, of course stuff there would be exaggerated or too "perfect". Like, why would anyone not go to the limit when they can? Do you also whine about only attractive people in movies?
Or do you close your eyes when you see some girl's navel?

TL;DR: When you go in a fantasy world there is no point to show anything but the most perfect image of everything.

Asking "why" about pride flags, but can explain why in FF15 you need "ass and titties".

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
He loved it, it was the only review I watched. Don't really follow his content so I wasn't aware he had a problem with this kind of thing.
He showed his ass during the gillette commercial and he has said some problematic stuff in the past. Also I think he is also closely associated with some other channel that is far worse, don't recall the name atm.

Anyway, I think he is the type that might make an issue out of this but in a concern trolling way. Maybe I am wrong but there is a reason to be wary of that guy. Also isn't he banned on Era?

Oct 25, 2017
He showed his ass during the gillette commercial and he has said some problematic stuff in the past. Also I think he is also closely associated with some other channel that is far worse, don't recall the name atm.

Anyway, I think he is the type that might make an issue out of this but in a concern trolling way. Maybe I am wrong but there is a reason to be wary of that guy. Also isn't he banned on Era?
I really had no idea, thankfully it didn't show in the video.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
There's something kinda amazing about a game series that's the poster child for over the top machismo also being considerate enough to have pride flags.

Great inclusion by the devs.

lol came here to say this. Gears was considered one of the ultimate 'dudebro' games last gen - really didn't imagine it would take this direction. It works though.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome of them. If I were to pick up an Xbox One, it would be for Gears anyways.

Is there a list of all the flags in the game and what they represent?

lol came here to say this. Gears was considered one of the ultimate 'dudebro' games last gen - really didn't imagine it would take this direction. It works though.

If I recall, Cliff Bleszinski said in like Gears 3 or something that he wanted women to be like the men (buff) and not ridiculous like in other games with missing armour. But I may be totally off base