• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
I am really impressed with GoW5. It runs beautifully and looks fantastic.

It offers something that games should strive for going forward: excellent dynamic resolution with a high enough performance target (90 fps) to take advantage of a high refresh rate display.

I am running a 2070 Super on a 1080p monitor and I can set the resolution to 4K with a 90 fps target. The game automatically scales resolution and offers me the best performance and image quality I can get at any point in time.

If there was no option for a performance target (i.e. dynamic resolution), I'd be stuck with ~55-60fps at 4K, or have to settle for a lesser resolution to meet my minimum framerate in the most demanding of scenes. The fact that the game takes care of this for me and offers me the best experience I can get at any moment in time is a godsend.

I really hope these features get pushed to more games. As we go into next gen, PC hardware is in a strange place. High framerate gaming at 4K is not feasible, even with a 2080 Ti. The performance requirements from 1080p to 4K deliver significant challenges to PC gamers. We're looking at a 4x increase in GPU processing power to meet a 4K native resolution. As PC monitors tend to do very poorly with non native resolutions and graphics card drivers offer very poor upsampling/downsampling, the onus is on developers to offer an experience that is properly tailored to everyone's individual hardware.

Gears of War 5 has set the benchmark for me and I hope PC devs take note.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah the game ran well on my 970 but I still can't get past act 4 because of hard crashing and the entire time I played the game there were awful audio issues.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
To me its the best PC port I've ever played. 4k/60 on a RX 580/i5 4670k. Top it off with one of the best HDR implementations anyone has ever seen.

It just made sloppy efforts like Borderlands 3 stick out even more. I couldn't even run it smoothly at lowly 1080p medium settings...?

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
Definitely a fantastic PC port. I couldn't get that dynamic resolution scaler to work without getting some stuttering though.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
If NVidia. Do you even DRS bro?

First off, DSR doesn't dynamically scale for your framerate target. Secondly, DSR downscale is very poor for non integer scaling resolutions. Lastly, I can't even get DSR to work on my system since my desktop automatically resizes to my highest DSR resolution with no option to revert to native.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Gears 5 PC port is one of the greats. Incredible performance, lovely asset quality, tons of graphics options, ultrawide support, etc.

Yudoken

Jun 7, 2019
Despite running it twice on my i7 4790k with a GTX 1080 and GTX 770 PC to play with my friend the game was running exceptionally well for newly released AAA shooter game. The 2nd player with the 770 had above 60fps in 1080p (I think with medium settings) and I was playing with around 90fps at high at 1440p. Despite around 100% cpu usage and running the game of on the hdd it was perfectly playable without hiccups on a competitive level in vs modes.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: derogatory language
i had issues with it at launch. introduced stuttering. is that gone now?

i have to run it at 1440p now on my rtx 2080 because even 1800p makes my pc moan like a ps4 pro.

edit. edited out the language.

Last edited:

Fahdi

Jun 5, 2018
First off, DSR doesn't dynamically scale for your framerate target. Secondly, DSR downscale is very poor for non integer scaling resolutions. Lastly, I can't even get DSR to work on my system since my desktop automatically resizes to my highest DSR resolution with no option to revert to native.

Framerate target is usually 60 or 120 FPS at 4K or 1440P depending on your rig on Ultra or High. What targets are you setting and what resolutions are you trying?

Check your DSR settings again. Mine worked perfectly after some trouble shooting and updating drivers the first time. It had never given me issues on a 1080P monitor or a 4K monitor.

Also, I do agree with Dynamic Res sentiments. I wouldn't mind Checkerboard Rendering either to take the workload off the GPU. Imagine thousands of $ of rigs that are native 4K vs. Consoles who can almost match 4K with techniques.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
So dynamic resolution kicks in if i enable the minimum 90fps option? Because i didn't notice any dynamic resolution, image was razor sharp at all times, testament to how good the AA/reconstruction implementation of the game is.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i had issues with it at launch. introduced stuttering. is that gone now?

i have to run it at 1440p now on my rtx 2080 because even 1800p makes my pc moan like a cheap whore.
Stuttering is mostly caused by overlays I noticed, they eat a bit of GPU after the game renders.
If the game engine targets for a specific frametime to render the image, adding an overlay after that (that uses a bit of GPU) mays cause a frame to drop regularly as the game do not know there is an overlay eating GPU after it renders.

I noticed that when I added Nvidia Freestyle's Sharpen effect, in all games it eats a bit of GPU, in a game with dynamic resolution it can introduce stutter if the dynamic resolution is too agressive (targeting a frametime too close to refresh one).

RTSS overlay eats GPU too, a bit, it's negligible, but in some configurations it causes stutter such as in Gears 5 with dynamic resolution.

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
Gears 5 is easily one of the most impressive games I've seen on PC. The Coalition's tech is amazing and the PC version is top tier.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
So dynamic resolution kicks in if i enable the minimum 90fps option? Because i didn't notice any dynamic resolution, image was razor sharp at all times, testament to how good the AA/reconstruction implementation of the game is.

On a 1080p monitor, I can't even notice it. It looks as good as 4K downsampled to me at all times. At least so far.

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads up, there are game breaking bugs that are really easy to encounter in the single player that haven't even been acknowledged by Coalition. The games been out for nearly two months too. The visuals are the only thing I would consider polished about the game.

OP
OP
exodus

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Stuttering is mostly caused by overlays I noticed, they eat a bit of GPU after the game renders.
If the game engine targets for a specific frametime to render the image, adding an overlay after that (that uses a bit of GPU) mays cause a frame to drop regularly as the game do not know there is an overlay eating GPU after it renders.

I noticed that when I added Nvidia Freestyle's Sharpen effect, in all games it eats a bit of GPU, in a game with dynamic resolution it can introduce stutter if the dynamic resolution is too agressive (targeting a frametime too close to refresh one).

RTSS overlay eats GPU too, a bit, it's negligible, but in some configurations it causes stutter such as in Gears 5 with dynamic resolution.

I've started to come to terms with the fact that overpays typically don't play too nicely with modern games. I'm just sticking to NVidia's overlay.

The only annoying thing is having to remember to enable RTSS when I play a high frame rate competitive game like CS Go. Though maybe Ultra low latency would achieve the same result.

Deleted member 12317

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've started to come to terms with the fact that overpays typically don't play too nicely with modern games. I'm just sticking to NVidia's overlay.

The only annoying thing is having to remember to enable RTSS when I play a high frame rate competitive game like CS Go. Though maybe Ultra low latency would achieve the same result.
I disabled RTSS integration since more than a year, causing too much problems in games (instability, crash on launch, HDR issues, random micro-freezes ...), I use AfterBurner to OC my GPU and that's all, RTSS does not even start (disable frametime and FPS monitoring so AfterBurner won't start it).
Since then, I have absolutely no issues with games, not a single crash in Gears 5 for example in more than 50 hours.

I only use ShadowPlay's FPS counter on top, as it's managed by the driver it seems to have no impact, it's not injected into the game's processes.
And I also use the GameBar recording feature all the time to capture clips, not noticeable impact, and no stutter in Gears 5 with dynamic resolution.
If I want to see GPU/CPU utilization, I can still see it on my G19 keyboard's screen thanks to AfterBurner, or I alt-tab to see the graphs in AB.

If you want to use RTSS only in some games but not others, you can set its global profile's detection to "None", then add the game processes you want to monitor, thus cap FPS, and enable it for them only.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Hoping someone can help me here. Gears won't launch for me on windows 10. When I try to open it a windows store page opens and nothing happens.

Please help

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't know it had dynamic resolution on PC.

I like the game, but it is missing an act. The ending deflated me.

Just a heads up, there are game breaking bugs that are really easy to encounter in the single player that haven't even been acknowledged by Coalition. The games been out for nearly two months too. The visuals are the only thing I would consider polished about the game.

I noticed a lot of AI issues, nothing game breaking.. but it is not what I would call polished.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think it is just dynamic res, it also use temporal reconstruction to reconstruct the image back to native res I believe whenever it drop res. Temporal reconstruction is already in UE4, ppl seems to have forgotten who actually built the engine. Not to discredit the coalition, they did an phenomenal job with the pc pversion, but a lot of the work were already done and ready with UE4. Lastest version if UE4 is probably still ahead of what we see with the DXR stuffs demo not long ago.