• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Update:

People are pointing out that it looks similar to the Gears 2 box art while others are saying it could be something from an earlier period in the gears timeline.

It's likely just a new MP operation being teased, but at this point gears 5 does have quite a lot of assets created that could be added to something more than just MP.

We were all rather surprised Gears 5 got DLC after-all, so who knows.

Last edited:

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I hope it isn't Gears 2 remastered because I just played that recently!

Something new would be nice.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The Gears 2 box art for those wondering

Gears_of_War_2_Game_Cover.jpg

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The Nexus map looks soo good, I would love to play a remake of the second game.

alfie-feliciano-001.jpg

alfie-feliciano-004.jpg

alfie-feliciano-002.jpg

Also: Hivebusters was great, can`t wait to see new Gears footage.

Last edited:

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Gears 2 with Gears 5 level graphics would be pretty damn awesome. I'd be pretty tempted to replay it at that point.

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
On one hand I don't think Gears of War 2 needs a remaster, it looks great at 4K backwards compat. But I would still buy it though because it is one of my favorite Xbox 360 games.

Loveless

Oct 27, 2017
Played Halo for the first time a couple years ago since I always had a PlayStation and it was amazing but I've always wanted to play Gears more, I really hope the trilogy comes to PC.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
A Gears 2 remaster on PC would be great. MS needs to go ahead and bring the original and Gears 4 to Steam too. I wish the entire mainline series hits Steam eventually.

Steverulez

Oct 27, 2017
Gears 2, 3 and Judgment never hit PC so Ultimate Editions at some point make sense. Even if its just the campaigns - people dont like some aspects of Judgment which is fine but you cant really deny its place in the story given Paduk is in 5 and so many of the core themes of 5 also follow on directly from 2, its basically a sequel to that.

Heres to hoping the Gears games get all the updates etc that they deserve

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
Gears 2, 3 and Judgment never hit PC so Ultimate Editions at some point make sense. Even if its just the campaigns - people dont like some aspects of Judgment which is fine but you cant really deny its place in the story given Paduk is in 5 and so many of the core themes of 5 also follow on directly from 2, its basically a sequel to that.

Heres to hoping the Gears games get all the updates etc that they deserve
Wow, I actually forgot Judgement existed.

Genuinely.

Better than punching your balls in my official list.

Judment exist you know? And it's pretty good

See above, genuinely forgot!

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Probably a tease for the new operation since the current one ends in a week.

Maybe more Gears 2 maps are being remade for it.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I think for me it's 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > punching your balls > 4

Everything until the punching your balls is in the "great" category though. What a series.

I just dug that trip down underground, battling the giant mutant fish, assaulting the Locust capital and confronting the queen.

It was an absolute fucking slog, but that's why I loved it. The giant worm was also rad.

The original was endlessly repayable for me. I first beat 3 in one 12-hour ish session on launch day. Loved it, but it burnt me out a bit.

4 is a tale of two halves. First half dull, second half great. 5 was good but I found Kait such a bore.

Marcus is easily the best character in 4/5 for me. Judgment was fun for what it was.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
I just dug that trip down underground, battling the giant mutant fish, assaulting the Locust capital and confronting the queen.

It was an absolute fucking slog, but that's why I loved it. The giant worm was also rad.

The original was endlessly repayable for me. I first beat 3 in one 12-hour ish session on launch day. Loved it, but it burnt me out a bit.

4 is a tale of two halves. First half dull, second half great. 5 was good but I found Kait such a bore.

Marcus is easily the best character in 4/5 for me. Judgment was fun for what it was.
Kait totally won me over. Best thing they did after 4 was switch to her.

I have never been so glad for a series to get back on track as I was playing 5 after 4.

Let's all have a big manly hug in our huge armour.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I think for me it's 3 > 5 > 2 > 1 > punching your balls > 4

Everything until the punching your balls is in the "great" category though. What a series.
I really don't get the hatred for 4 among Gears fans.
Last year I played Gears 1 UE on Gamepass, and while the game was good at times, it really didn't stick with me and I outright quit at the last boss, hella annoying bullshit that was.
Then I started up Gears 4 and actually had fun with it throughout. I don't think the entire campaign is as effective as its first hours, but not only was the actual gameplay better, I also liked some of the characters and the writing, as opposed to the edgelord grimdark that was Gears 1.

But Gears 5 was really great. I need to get back to it to play Hivebusters at some point. Maybe the next Steam sale if I remember.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017

And Overrun was a great Rush-like mode, imo. I really hope, the developers put something like that in the next Gears game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Do the OG games still hold up? Been debating a play through... Haven't played classic gears in ages

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Would love it if they did an MCC-esque Marcus Fenix Collection for the original trilogy (and Judgement) with all the campaigns and multiplayer, even better if they did a Gears UE style remaster for 2, 3 and Judgement (with MCC style switching!!). Not just for the pure awesome factor of it but also so that the games would be on PC/Steam as well.

Also Gears 2 is tied with 5 for the best campaign, so many awesome and memorable moments

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The worst campaign for me, those instant death turret/cinematic segments soured me on the title when doing an Insane run of the trilogy leading up to 4.

I hope those sequences would get cleaned up if they ever went back to re-release the game.

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
I really don't get the hatred for 4 among Gears fans.
Last year I played Gears 1 UE, and while the game was good at times, it really didn't stick with me and I outright quit at the last boss, hella annoying bullshit that was.
Then I started up Gears 4 and actually had fun with it throughout. I don't think the entire campaign is as effective as its first hours, but not only was the actual gameplay better, I also liked some of the characters and the writing, as opposed to the edgelord grimdark that was Gears 1.

But Gears 5 was really great. I need to get back to it to play Hivebusters at some point. Maybe the next Steam sale if I remember.
I was obviously being hyperbolic, 4 is fine, but it's the only game in the series that isn't better than fine, so it stands out quite a lot as a big drop.

But they were finding the feet and it worked out with 5, and hopefully continuing with 6, so I don't hate it... I just don't have a desire to play it again, whereas I could and have played the other mainline Gears games over and over.

Bear and bird

Oct 27, 2017
Expectation: Operation 6 for Gears 5

Hope (runs deep): Gears 2 Ultimate Edition

Gears 2 is still my favorite campaign in the series. Would love to replay it with modern graphics!

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
I've been dying to replay Gears 2 and holding on waiting for the remake/remaster. I will get my hopes up. Please do it, Coalition!

Nov 23, 2018
I'd love if The Coalition turned Gears Ultimate into the Marcus Fenix Collection!

That being said - the Gears games play really well thanks to the backwards compatibility program. FPS Boost would be nice.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 2 was my favorite, could really use a release of 1-3 + Judgement on PC.

Would honestly take it without the competitive MP at this point unless they went completely all out like an MCC with one client able to handle MM for everything.

Last edited:

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Kait totally won me over. Best thing they did after 4 was switch to her.

I have never been so glad for a series to get back on track as I was playing 5 after 4.

Let's all have a big manly hug in our huge armour.

I'll never not love Gears. Moving through the streets at night, blowing up the canisters for light, avoiding the instant death darkness, closing up emergence holes, etc.

Honestly, the series just spoke to me in a deep way from the off. Long may it continue.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It would make sense to remaster 2 & 3 at this point just so the whole series can be on PC as well. Similar to the Halo MCC (even if the gears stuff is sans MP).