• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it's a straight port, or if they're using the mobile game as a base to remake it?

Gameplay of the GBA original (Still looks great):

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I really liked the GBA one , even if it's a simple old school beat'em up.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
This game and the prequel still looked cool, even for their time. Looks like I have missed out on some good underlooked games. I am excited for this, regardless if it's a straight port or a built from the ground up remake.

Also, I Didn't know Joe Madureira (of Battle Chasers fame) did art for this game until now.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
It was a seemingly competently made game on GBA but lacked everything that make the classics great, it really felt like a cheap and limited mobile knock off to me at the time. It's been ages though. Some great sprites still.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The game visually looks great. Looks just like the classic 16-bit Japanese games.

Vic

Nov 22, 2017
So even GBA ports on the Switch is going to be a thing?

Then Ninja-Five-O pls. I was literally thinking about it yesterday.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia
The PS1 game, to my recollection, is actually pretty damn good

Would like a port of that instead tbh

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I just Heard about this game

A friend told me tan Genkido sprite is an straight recoloring of K' sprite from KOF 1999

sixteen-bit

Oct 30, 2017
Would love to see obscure GBA sleepers like Ninja Five-O get a similar treatment. I know Konami is pretty much out of the game, but they did support Switch with Bomberman earlier this year.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I never realised they did any other Gekido games apart from the PS1 one.
I think I'd like to check this out, even if it's for nostalgia sake.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
I played this game many years on my GBA Advance, and it was awesome. I never finished it because it was a bit difficult on the later levels.
It also had some platforming/stage hazard dodging.

Glad it's back.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Wonder if it's a straight port, or if they're using the mobile game as a base to remake it?

I never heard or saw the mobile game nor can I find info on it. was it ever released?

It must be the GBA version and not the PS1 game. The PS game has a different name and aged rather poorly (graphics wise).
I wonder if they do something about the resolution though.
GBA emulation on the WiiU is pretty damn awesome though and games look surprisingly good (even on TV)

Oct 25, 2017
That's a weird port for a weird (pre?) sequel. Gekido would be better with some tighter level design.

But hey. Hopefully this means more of it, why not.

So even GBA ports on the Switch is going to be a thing?

Then Ninja-Five-O pls. I was literally thinking about it yesterday.
YES
Talk about underrated gems!

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently the game will be released in March. According to their facebook page.

It doesn't bode well for me that they haven't even released a single screenshot of the Switch version. The GBA game looked great, but it was way too simple. Hopefully they are keeping the art style and find a way to add more content to it. I really hope they aren't remaking the game with polygons like the PSX version.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo dropped the ball on GBA games for 3DS, bring em' to Switch!

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Damn the PS1 original is where its at though. My boy Ushi, good times.

Oh yeah, that's right. I forgot that there was a PS1 fighting game with the same name. That was a weird 3D polygonal fighter. It had that weird nu-metal rock soundtrack. Given how rare 3D brawlers were back then, I remember it being kinda fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ur9lriYkMw (curses EMI, can't embed)

I never played the Game Boy Advance game, though.

Last edited: