• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

First details from Weekly Famitsu:

The story follows the True Student Council, which was established to solve the abnormal situations in the school. The protagonist, who becomes the deputy head of the council, chooses a buddy from four characters to defy the unreasonable.

The main story has multiple endings. There are different routes for each of the four buddy characters. To make multiple playthroughs easier, you can also skip shared routes and advance through different buddy routes.

Battles are command-based with a free move turn system. Increasing your madness will allow you to use more powerful skills, but if you increase it too much, you will go insane and rampage against targets both friend and foe, making it impossible to fight.

There is also an "EGO" system, which represents the player's desire levels of pride, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth. These change depending on your diagnosis and the choices you make, and also affect the demons you can employ as your "underlings."

Monark_06-09-21-600x446.jpg

Key staff:

• Planning, Production, and Direction: Fuyuki Hayashi, Mitsuhiro Hoshino
  • Scenario: Fuyuki Hayashi, Ryutaro Ito
  • Scenario Supervision and Cooperation: Kazunari Suzuki, Aya Nishitani
  • Character Design: so-bin
  • Background Music: Tsukasa Masuko
  • Developer: Lancarse
  • Publisher: FuRyu

Both the four-minute debut trailer and six-minute background music introduction video for Monark are scheduled to premiere on June 10 at 12:00 JST.

Additional details, including an interview with the developers are available on Gematsu.

Sep 14, 2018
Big SMT spinoff vibes. Looking forward to the trailer!

This already looks better than it sounded described in the leak or whatever it was.

Aostia82

Oct 27, 2017
weren't we expecting a trailer?
probably I mixed things up with another game lol

btw, interesting

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Don't fall for the FuRyu scam! Wait for actual impressions. Their batting average is terrible and they love announcing games with staff names from previous franchises and hiring cheap dev houses to release average titles. Lol.

Oct 27, 2017
Could be good but I am not convinced yet. Hopefully the trailer makes it clearer what this is because the premise doesn't tell me much.

I do like the route system though. More games should do that.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Sick artwork. This being from former SMT devs has me intrigued and excited.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
Caligula had nice art too but sucked so I'll temper my expectations for ex smt dev work

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I'm intrigued, and have no prior experience with FuRyu titles (though I do own a few).

Jun 24, 2019
A spiritual successor to SMT if...that's interesting

Oh and Ryutaro Ito is part of the scenario team...Hell Yeah!

Jun 24, 2019
News Flash!! I just noticed that

Monark, SMT V and Caligula Effect 2 is going to be released this year by the very people who made my fave mt games.

They're spoiling me rotten!!!

giphy.gif

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Hope its better than Caligula effect at least. i still get nightmares about that one song that seemed to loop for infinity in that game.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Don't fall for the FuRyu scam! Wait for actual impressions. Their batting average is terrible and they love announcing games with staff names from previous franchises and hiring cheap dev houses to release average titles. Lol.

Weren't those games (LoL/Alliance Alive) SaGa-esque? I got the impression they weren't like, poorly made games, just games made with design decisions that wouldn't appeal to everyone.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
LoL is the reason I'm warning people! (lol) Heard Alliance Alive was pretty dope tho.

LoL is definitely the weaker of the two. It isn't bad at all, though. I liked it more than the SaGa DS games, as absurd as that might sound. Alliance Alive is one of the 3DS's best. Very interesting world, lots of exploration and fun twists. Super ambitious for a 3DS game.

Oct 29, 2017
UK
The developer seems to have experience helping with the Etrian Odyssey, Strange Journey and Persona Q games as well. Along with all these key ex SMT staff, I'm starting to actually have hope for this now.

If that trailer is good tomorrow then I'm definitely day one on this when it gets localised.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021

I think the Furyu hate is kind of overblown tbh. I haven't played a bad Furyu game before, the worst they've done that I've played was Lost Dimension and that was still a solid B-game. But then we had Alliance Alive a legit great JRPG published by Furyu so who knows how it'll do.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
From the leaked trailer stills, I thought the illustrator was the same from Oninaki but it seems he isn't. Both protagonists also look very much alike.

Details seem cool so far, let's see the game in action.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Weren't those games (LoL/Alliance Alive) SaGa-esque? I got the impression they weren't like, poorly made games, just games made with design decisions that wouldn't appeal to everyone.
I'm a huge SaGa fan and evangelist. LoL was not very good as a package. The battle system is good, the world and character flow is extremely weak and shows the inexperience of the director to put well made pieces together into something satisfying. I think it was his first game so I won't cut him too much slack, but it's a huge waste of the other talent involved in the game.

Ishaan

Oct 27, 2017
I would highly, highly recommend Alliance Alive to anyone that wants something different from your typical JRPG. The world design is excellent, the story is interesting and well-paced (which is where most JRPGs fail, in my opinion), and the music is sublime.

And yeah, that was published by FuRyu. They've put out a couple of duds in the past, but they've also tried to back more interesting projects and creators over the last few years. You never know how any individual project might end up, but in my opinion FuRyu has more than earned the benefit of doubt.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017
As a result of this thread I'm now potentially more interested in checking out Alliance Alive than this, hah.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Alliance Alive had a Hamauzu soundtrack and the Story was written by Yoshitaka Murayama

I thought it was pretty good

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Cannot wait for everyone at True Student Council to be totally orginal mega special but troubled youth.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The Alliance Alive was a fantastic JRPG, I played the HD remaster last year and found it exactly what I wanted from it. It's heartwarming, heroic, full of nods back to classic JRPGs but also has plenty of original ideas to call it's own. It also doesn't outstay it's welcome at around 25 hours.

Last edited: