• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Btw, people are rightfully so calling the absurdity of Watsuki and him not being in jail but in the west we have a very similar problem: Cristiano Ronaldo and Robinho rapped women, with the first one even admiting it and both are free without any problem. The first one even still has his sponsors and all so yes, this same thing does happens here as well. Same for Jonnhy Deep still being on the movies after beating women and so on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

They're probably going to edit it to take Taki's likeness and voice out, but no, they won't completely stop selling it. The Western release is likely going to be delayed in order to allow them to do this.

Btw, people are rightfully so calling the absurdity of Watsuki and him not being in jail but in the west we have a very similar problem: Cristiano Ronaldo and Robinho rapped women, with the first one even admiting it and both are free without any problem. The first one even still has his sponsors and all so yes, this same thing does happens here as well. Same for Jonnhy Deep still being on the movies after beating women and so on.

Depp's situation appears to be way, way more complicated than it first seemed, but the point still stands - we definitely let famous people slide for doing things normal people would be utterly destroyed for. The main difference seems to be that we tend to actually crucify people in the public eye for doing wrong rather than erasing them entirely. It's hard to say which system is more effective - it doesn't seem like either one actually discourages bad behavior.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
They're probably going to edit it to take Taki's likeness and voice out, but no, they won't completely stop selling it. The Western release is likely going to be delayed in order to allow them to do this.

Depp's situation appears to be way, way more complicated than it first seemed, but the point still stands - we definitely let famous people slide for doing things normal people would be utterly destroyed for. The main difference seems to be that we tend to actually crucify people in the public eye for doing wrong rather than erasing them entirely. It's hard to say which system is more effective - it doesn't seem like either one actually discourages bad behavior.
That's because what we recognize as "bad behavior" isn't binary. Any and all crimes are committed by humans, not monsters, and it is our society's continual separation of people who commit crimes into "them and us" that perpetuates these cycles. We need to better recognize the human cost of their decisions, and that includes looking at the person accused of whatever it may be. How did they get this far? Why did they do this? What did we do to allow them to get this far? This extends beyond Taki and into how we look at the whole world of stardom.

To clarify, an action can be monstrous (ie. rape, genocide, serial murder), but no person is a monster. That's a way for us to disassociate from their crimes and it doesn't fix anything, it makes up complacent and feeds into our own control freak tendencies. How can we keep people safe? How can we make sure they never work again? How can we deter more people from doing cocaine? All of these questions are asked to protect a population but it's the population that are perpetuating those crimes. You can't prevent a mountain goat from standing on a cliff's edge and you can't stop depressed, overworked people from turning to drug abuse. Drugs fulfill a need that government cannot.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That's because what we recognize as "bad behavior" isn't binary. Any and all crimes are committed by humans, not monsters, and it is our society's continual separation of people who commit crimes into "them and us" that perpetuates these cycles. We need to better recognize the human cost of their decisions, and that includes looking at the person accused of whatever it may be. How did they get this far? Why did they do this? What did we do to allow them to get this far? This extends beyond Taki and into how we look at the whole world of stardom.

To clarify, an action can be monstrous (ie. rape, genocide, serial murder), but no person is a monster. That's a way for us to disassociate from their crimes and it doesn't fix anything, it makes up complacent and feeds into our own control freak tendencies. How can we keep people safe? How can we make sure they never work again? How can we deter more people from doing cocaine? All of these questions are asked to protect a population but it's the population that are perpetuating those crimes. You can't prevent a mountain goat from standing on a cliff's edge and you can't stop depressed, overworked people from turning to drug abuse. Drugs fulfill a need that government cannot.

Well said. I personally don't see a societal value in completely erasing someone from public view for committing a crime, especially when the victim of said crime was also the perpetrator. But this is an issue that we see all around the world - punishing drug users rather than trying to treat the societal issues that lead people to turn to drugs in the first place (mental health, depression, work-to-live culture, and so on and so forth). This is not a Japan problem and it's not an America problem, it's a human problem.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares about cocaine charges?

That's like Hollywood's Sweet 'n Low

I can't imagine this happening with an American product that isn't aimed at kids. They'd keep selling it, no problem.

Bonefish

Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ. Denki Groove's discography has been removed off of Apple Music and Spotify.

What a load of fucking garbage.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Who's this Pierre Taki?

Must be some nobody. There's no records on this guy at all. Are you sure such a guy even exists?

:p

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Who cares about cocaine charges?

That's like Hollywood's Sweet 'n Low

I can't imagine this happening with an American product that isn't aimed at kids. They'd keep selling it, no problem.
Put yourself in the shoes of japanese, they dont see drugs are the american see it

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You're right, but I think the problem is that those people are just let free without any consequences of the justice. And we all know that this is just because they're rich people. If they were poor, they would be on jail already like many.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Any new updates? I'm hyped for this game so much and I don't want it to be pulled from the market.

Jun 26, 2018
I wouldn't blame Sega if the game got delayed over this, they got super fucked by this.

Most I can hope for is that the game still comes out in some form.

Dojima

Alt-account
Banned
Jan 25, 2019
Feb 2, 2019
They make it sounds and act like the guy murdered people on the street... What harm does it do to sniff some cocain, as long as you don't drive or such ? Tell you how ridiculous our society is when it comes to drugs.

Biggad

Jul 3, 2018
This is ridiculous. I'd love to know stories of famous Japanese people who had to restart their life after their drug outing and whether or not they landed on their feet and managed to find happiness again. This stuff makes me feel terrible for him

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Browsing through Japanese news websites it's clear that everyone is pretty much desperate to remove every single bit of Pierre Taki. In his hometown they've removed manhole covers with him on them as well as cancelling a local TV show he had. He was also the composer of a local PR song with lyrics written by the late Momoko Sakura. According to the article, they often used it at local events and even played it inside the lifts of the City Hall. They won't be doing that anymore. NHK also already announced that they're going to cut all episodes of their current Olympic-themed taiga drama that have Pierre Taki in them. They will instead only air the ones that don't feature him.

The scandal's fallout is reaching a point where companies, organizations etc might think that keeping any mention of him (or any celebrity who had a scandal, really) around might be seens as a form of support or something.

I strongly believe that we can kiss goodbye to the current release date of Judgment in the west. It's going to be expensive, but right now I do believe that Sega will re-cast Taki, put a new likeness in the game and record all scens that feature his character anew for both the Japanese and the wordwide market. And considering how people, who played the Japanese version of Judgement, said that Taki did a phenomenal job voicing his character, it would definitely be a huge loss, but still better than not getting the game at all (of course in my opinion they should just let the game untouched and not change anything at all). Of course cancelling that's still an option, but I doubt Sega will just do that after already putting so much money into it.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Remember when Yakuza 6's plot kicked off with the public being unfairly horrendous towards a celebrity with a minor scandal. I'd hope some japanese Yakuza fans might appreciate the irony.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm dying for an update here. Knowing Sega it'll be months and they'll be like, "lol cancelled."

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Browsing through Japanese news websites it's clear that everyone is pretty much desperate to remove every single bit of Pierre Taki. In his hometown they've removed manhole covers with him on them as well as cancelling a local TV show he had. He was also the composer of a local PR song with lyrics written by the late Momoko Sakura. According to the article, they often used it at local events and even played it inside the lifts of the City Hall. They won't be doing that anymore. NHK also already announced that they're going to cut all episodes of their current Olympic-themed taiga drama that have Pierre Taki in them. They will instead only air the ones that don't feature him.

The scandal's fallout is reaching a point where companies, organizations etc might think that keeping any mention of him (or any celebrity who had a scandal, really) around might be seens as a form of support or something.

I strongly believe that we can kiss goodbye to the current release date of Judgment in the west. It's going to be expensive, but right now I do believe that Sega will re-cast Taki, put a new likeness in the game and record all scens that feature his character anew for both the Japanese and the wordwide market. And considering how people, who played the Japanese version of Judgement, said that Taki did a phenomenal job voicing his character, it would definitely be a huge loss, but still better than not getting the game at all (of course in my opinion they should just let the game untouched and not change anything at all). Of course cancelling that's still an option, but I doubt Sega will just do that after already putting so much money into it.
This is pretty insane. Just imagine seeing your whole life's work vanish in front of your eyes from a mistake like this. Don't know the guy, but all I see is that this is just incredibly cruel. I know people in Asian countries will think otherwise, but it always hurts to see society turn on people like this and act like they didn't exist. I see it as a complete lack of compassion. Of course, there are problems with every society, so I'm not trying to single out Japan, but I always feel sad when people are punished harshly for things where their actual negative effect is dubious.

Anyway, I'm interested in the game and hope they can release it in a timely manner. Preferably with the said actor, but if not, that's fine.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This is pretty insane. Just imagine seeing your whole life's work vanish in front of your eyes from a mistake like this. Don't know the guy, but all I see is that this is just incredibly cruel. I know people in Asian countries will think otherwise, but it always hurts to see society turn on people like this and act like they didn't exist. I see it as a complete lack of compassion. Of course, there are problems with every society, so I'm not trying to single out Japan, but I always feel sad when people are punished harshly for things where their actual negative effect is dubious.

Anyway, I'm interested in the game and hope they can release it in a timely manner. Preferably with the said actor, but if not, that's fine.

How do you buy and take cocaine by accident?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how Sega would keep Taki in the game based on everything Mudai pointed out. He's toast unfortunately, which makes my launch copy of JE more valuable (the price of a copy has ballooned to 10K yen!)

Best case scenario is a replacement Tanimura style, though if Sega are rushing to make the change I feel whoever is used will be a pale imitation to Taki's performance.
And assuming the series isn't dead going forward, I guess Sega don't have to put much effort to write him out of the series since
he almost certainly ends up in prison by the end of the game, or they can just write him out and blame it on the Omi either because of the events of JE or Shin RGG.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
What's the difference? He knew what would happen if he was caught, and chose to risk it. That doesn't sound like a mistake or accident.
By mistake, I mean a bad choice, etc. Mistake doesn't just mean accident, and you can't conflate the two. People make mistakes in their behavior, choice; I've made bad choices in the past, but learned from them, and thankfully people accepted me and I was able to move on. But erasing the issue doesn't solve it for people involved.

And I see you want to go to bat for this type of societal behavior, so I will just agree to disagree with you.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I wish I lived in a fantasy world where people wouldn't make bad judgement calls in moments of weakness

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What a fucking joke of a legal system man. Imagine being such a dumb fucking country that drugs are that frowned upon. It makes America look like fucking Amsterdam.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know what is part of human rights? The right to live. Guess what erodes that? Drug.
And true, no law can eliminate drug, but that doesn't mean it's not worth trying. It's funny that whenever someone brings up gun control, there're always people saying "but that country prohibits gun, they still have mass shooting!"
That's the stupidest thing I've ever read dude. But you have no idea what you're talking about

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
Can't find the game anywhere anymore, even used. Prices have gone way up online as well. Shouldn't have held off on buying this game ugh...

Also, somewhat OT, but Denki Groove is still advertised on Fuji Rock's website. Wonder when they'll be erased from there:
https://www.fujirockfestival.com/artist/detail/1083

It's gone now. Your link now redirects to a 404.
I went into the main site, there's an English version of it and today they announced Denki Groove's appearance is cancelled.
https://en.fujirockfestival.com/news/0315a/

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

It's crazy, Taki is going to be practically a ghost after all this is done.

I don't see how Sega would keep Taki in the game based on everything Mudai pointed out. He's toast unfortunately, which makes my launch copy of JE more valuable (the price of a copy has ballooned to 10K yen!)

Best case scenario is a replacement Tanimura style, though if Sega are rushing to make the change I feel whoever is used will be a pale imitation to Taki's performance.
And assuming the series isn't dead going forward, I guess Sega don't have to put much effort to write him out of the series since
he almost certainly ends up in prison by the end of the game, or they can just write him out and blame it on the Omi either because of the events of JE or Shin RGG.

Yea, totally depends on their time and effort with it, wish I could've experience Taki's performance, but seeing as how things are going down...I hope they can find a good replacement.

Oct 25, 2017
Its probably been said before but the only time I've seen this level of punitive erasure that wasnt by a government body is Chris Benoit, who OBVIOUSLY did something a hundred times worse then this and even then I think they're scrubbing Taki out harder. As an American it's probably hypocritical to criticize any countries policy on drugs but what the fuck?

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
This thread is certainly a fascinating read compared to comments where I come from.

Certainly a cultural clash. I live in a place where celebrities doing drugs as lightweight as weed will meet the same fate as in Japan, even though weed isn't particularly hard to find.

I'm more of an "eh, you know the risk and I don't care that much" kind of person so I myself have much clash with a lot of my compatriots as well who sees drugs as the substance that would weaken their country and a strong moral failure on the user.

The conservatives among them will also say the lax attitude towards drugs will be the west's downfall, long with immigration and stuff.

However, even leftists on the bottom left corner of the political compass here would still usually frown upon drug use. I think it's just something that's eched into the human psyche at this stage.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is certainly a fascinating read compared to comments where I come from.

Certainly a cultural clash. I live in a place where celebrities doing drugs as lightweight as weed will meet the same fate as in Japan, even though weed isn't particularly hard to find.

I'm more of an "eh, you know the risk and I don't care that much" kind of person so I myself have much clash with a lot of my compatriots as well who sees drugs as the substance that would weaken their country and a strong moral failure on the user.

The conservatives among them will also say the lax attitude towards drugs will be the west's downfall, long with immigration and stuff.

However, even leftists on the bottom left corner of the political compass here would still usually frown upon drug use. I think it's just something that's eched into the human psyche at this stage.

When I lived in Japan one of my coworkers talked to me about the evils of marijuana multiple times. Over the course of two years I saw this man obliterate himself with alcohol on at least ten different occasions (I can't say I miss the nomikais). At the end of the day, certain countries have a warped perception of what a drug is, and when it becomes unhealthy. There is a lot of misinformation, propaganda, and paranoia when it comes to drugs. It is what it is, I suppose.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
Jesus, if the US cancelled games or movies for actors using drugs, we'd have....... no media.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, no delay? Well team RGGS do basically use black magic to make games so that's actually not as bigger surprise as expected. Still, technically a downgrade as OG Hamura rocks so damn much. Also, which to play first? English Judgment replay or PS4 remaster of RGG5? They launch within a week of each other.