• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Absurd that they're this harsh regarding drug use. Japan's societal priorities are fucked up.

I've been playing every single game from this studio since 2005 and this baffles me..

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

1xJfqlk.png

SmartWaffles

Nov 15, 2017
Absurd that they're this harsh regarding drug use. Japan's societal priorities are fucked up.

I've been playing every single game from this studio since 2005 and this baffles me..
Drug uses are heavily punished in many Eastern Asian countries. If you are caught do it your performing career is literally done, happened in China, Korea and Japan all the time. These countries (especially China and Korea) were plagued by drugs like opium in the 1800s so there are historic reasons.

Jul 24, 2018
Godddamn shame as Taki really steals the show as Hanamura. I understand why in a professional sense a company would terminate their contract with someone who broke the law, but to effectively erase his career is a bit much to say the least.

fall_ark

Mar 20, 2019
Shanghai, China
Godddamn shame as Taki really steals the show as Hanamura. I understand why in a professional sense a company would terminate their contract with someone who broke the law, but to effectively erase his career is a bit much to say the least.

It's more about the social side of the issue. This is by no means a comparison, but imagine an American actor providing character model for a AAA game was found drawing a noose and convicted of hate crime, you bet the company will try to scrub away everything about him in the game. That's the level of seriousness people view doing drugs in many Asian countries.

Jul 24, 2018
It's more about the social side of the issue. This is by no means a comparison, but imagine an American actor providing character model for a AAA game was found drawing a noose and convicted of hate crime, you bet the company will try to scrub away everything about him in the game. That's the level of seriousness people view doing drugs in many Asian countries.
Right, like I said, I find it to be ridiculous because all he has really done is hurt himself. I understand why they would seize working with him, and perhaps getting blacklisted, but effectively erasing him is a bit much.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

So, are you saying it's going to be a while before Japan legalizes medical cannabis?

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America

We are all victims of Japanese ridiculousness regarding drug laws.

And don't even get me started about their censorship laws. Pixelating stuff that definitely should not be pixelated!

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I find the wording of Sega's Tweet a little weird. They are "adjusting" his character and voice actor. So are they giving his character white powder around his nose and having him re-record his lines, while off his face on coke ? lol

Why not just say they are changing the character and voice actor ?

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the wording seems like a voluntary euphemism, like they're trying to attenuate the importance of the change relative to the offense made by the actor. Then again, that could just be my interpretation.

Most likely, they're going to create an entirely new face and rerecord all the lines with another actor.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I find the wording of Sega's Tweet a little weird. They are "adjusting" his character and voice actor. So are they giving his character white powder around his nose and having him re-record his lines, while off his face on coke ? lol

Why not just say they are changing the character and voice actor ?
You could hypothetically imagine them doing something like original NieR taken up to eleven. Replace the guy with, I dunno, Silver the Hedgehog. "Adjusting" implies the changes will be less drastic.

Dynamite Cop

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Drug uses are heavily punished in many Eastern Asian countries. If you are caught do it your performing career is literally done, happened in China, Korea and Japan all the time. These countries (especially China and Korea) were plagued by drugs like opium in the 1800s so there are historic reasons.
Alcohol and lusting after children is also harmful, but whatever. Keep making excuses.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
I dunno. While I understand the sentiment and I too am not above it all, it feels a bit odd to care more about a corporation or a game then the fact that a dude's life is so ruined he's been basically erased from the works he helped create.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I dunno. While I understand the sentiment and I too am not above it all, it feels a bit odd to care more about a corporation or a game then the fact that a dude's life is so ruined he's been basically erased from the works he helped create.

The thread is full of people saying erasing someone like this is utterly absurd and rightfully calling this kind of shit out, so I'm sure most, myself included, definitely sympathize. But there's nothing we can do and there's only so much to discuss here, and in the end it doesn't change the fact that I'm also relieved to hear we do still get to play the game too.

I don't think sympathizing and being excited for the game are mutually exclusive.