• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Was your (evolved) starter still in your final team?

• Yes

Votes: 256 95.2%
  • No

Votes: 13 4.8%

• Total voters

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
With the release of a new generation of Pokémon incoming, I got to thinking how, of the entries I played, my starter was always on my team by the end, even though you never have to do that (though I never played the Let's Go games, the ones that are visually superior to those Diamond and Pearl remakes), even in Yellow where you are encouraged to keep Pikachu with you.

What about you (yes, YOU 🫵0_0)? Do you keep your starter with you until the end?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of course, it would be immensely unethical to box your starter. They're always on the team, always at the start of the lineup.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I'm pretty sure boxing your starter is grounds for terminating your Dex Holder status.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Always, every time, without fail in every pokemon game I box the starter at the first chance. I just like the idea of actually catching a team instead of using the gimmies.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I always keep my starters and they have to be stronger (in levels) than the others

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
My team usually solidifies after catching 10~ish Pokemon so yes, my starter stays with me the entire time.

JimJamJones

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Of course. Why would you ever bench your first pokemon.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
I picked chespin to get Charmander in Y and then boxed that monstrosity once it evolved. Besides some creative runs that were not my first play through, starter has otherwise remained.

We'll see what happens in SV where I'll pick a starter (Fuecoco) for the first time without having seen the evolution. Slightly dying inside blocking myself from leaks but it's only a week now…

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. When I was a kid I would power through every fight with my main and use the rest of the team when strictly necessary.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
My starter is always with me, even on future replays, I'd just pick a different starter from what I had originally as opposed to benching them entirely.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I don't think I've ever played the game without my starter even after multiple times through the same game.

Basically once a Pokémon is on my team they're on my team that whole run I almost never switch out

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I do not treat starter Pokémon as special Pokémon so if I don't like it I won't use it just like with any other Pokémon. I have benched starters in the past and feel 0 remorse.

Uniomni

Banned
Jun 13, 2022
Aren't the starters almost pound for pound some of the most powerful pokemon you'll get access to in the whole of the game?

Why would I toss gold to make room for bronze and silver?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Aren't the starters almost pound for pound some of the most powerful pokemon you'll get access to in the whole of the game?

People that don't use starters either don't like their designs, want slightly more challenge, or already found a team of Pokémon they love more I guess

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018

Some are powerful, others are just ok. Many also need their hidden abilities to really shine. Their all better than average at least and easy to fit on a team. A grass/water/fire core is always valuable so getting a third of that off the crack is pretty nice.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Cinerace in Shield and Typhlosion in Crystal were part of my champion squad/hall of fame.

In Arceus though, Typhlosion wasn't in my team once he was fully evolved because I didn't want the Fire/Ghost regional variant.