• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Let's take a second to appreciate this discography:

The Gabriel Era

21rkFSjibhL._SS500.jpg

71iH5sXNaYL.jpg

12049034.jpg

2807290.jpg

selling.jpg

500x500.jpg

The Collins Era, Pt. 1 (Neo-Prog Years)

R-7320119-1439234233-4162.jpeg.jpg

genesis-and-then-there-were-three1.jpg

GENESIS_DUKE-256709.jpg

The Collins Era, Pt. 2 (Patrick Bateman Years)

R-3230647-1321480865.jpeg.jpg

Shapes.jpg

R-3567515-1336294084.jpeg.jpg

MI0003562683.jpg

The Wilson Era (Collins' Exodus)

R-1568786-1229096816.jpeg.jpg

Also, name me another band other than The Beatles that've launched as many successful solo careers...

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
My folks brought me up on a steady diet of Led Zep, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and Genesis. Will always have a softspot for them, but Phil Collins era (as lead vocalist) was best. Home by the Sea? TUNE.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
It's really guitarist Steve Hackett who made the band for me. The two albums they made after Gabriel left (A Trick of the Tail and Wuthering Heights I think?) are my favorites and I suspect it's because he got more room for songwriting contributions in Gabriel's absence. The album that came out after Steve's departure left no impression on me at all. Then I listened to his solo work from the period and it basically had all the qualities I liked about Genesis.

Seraphis Cain

Oct 25, 2017
Undoubtedly so, but I'm not sure I can ever forgive them for the childhood trauma that was the Land of Confusion video. It still terrifies me to this day.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't take anybody seriously when they say they liked the Gabriel era. I mean you have to be Elon Musk to stand that catalog of music.

Nov 2, 2017
Den Haag, Netherlands
I can't take anybody seriously when they say they liked the Gabriel era. I mean you have to be Elon Musk to stand that catalog of music.
There's a reason why the Gabriel discog is still touring with Hackett, and nobody touches the boring dirge of Duke nor the decrepit deets and doots from Self-Titled onwards. It's just not good music and reveled in gimmickry that wore out instantly.

Browny

Oct 25, 2017
I too grew up on my parents musical choice of Genesis (along with REO Speedwagon and The Flying Pickets). Invisible Touch is a strong album, and Land Of Confusion is such a good song that even Disturbed couldn't fuck it up.
It's a great cover.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Used to love Genesis. Not as much anymore but gabriel-genesis is the best prog there ever was.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

Jasup

Oct 25, 2017
Yurop
My folks brought me up on a steady diet of Led Zep, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd and Genesis. Will always have a softspot for them, but Phil Collins era (as lead vocalist) was best. Home by the Sea? TUNE.
This is me almost word for word (except switch Led Zep and Dylan with Black Sabbath and Dire Straits). Completely agree with Home by the Sea, unmatched.

Hoot

Nov 12, 2017
In my part of the world they were called the Megadrives thank you very much.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.
Don't just stare at it, eat it.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Please review our FAQ:

"Show some effort: It's wonderful that you want to start a discussion, but being the Original Poster carries some responsibility to start things off on the right foot. If you're going to create a thread, try to include more content and care than one or two short sentences. Consider whether the thread will generate good discussion, and scrutinize any sources you decide to cite. Try not to create new threads based on tweets, jokes, conspiracy theories, poor sources or yes/no questions."

https://www.resetera.com/posts/1772206/

Status
Not open for further replies.